All these overrated album threads

all these overrated album threads

ITT: We discuss the turning point in your life where music started to really matter to you and the artist/album/song that sparked it all

for me its Jimi Hendrix - are you experienced
I was 14 (Im 20 now for context)

pic unrelated

I listened to Streetlight Manifesto when i was 13-14, can't remember, the song A Better Place, A Better Time is the song that pulled me in

what do you listen to now?
has it evolved much?

I listen to mostly math rock or loud shit, like Lightning Bolt, Hella, toe, and Melt-Banana

Thanks for the thread by the way, I'm listening to Streetlight Manifesto and it's pretty nostalgic

as cliche as it is, Nirvana when I was 11. Listened to nothing but them until I was 14.

>be me 18
>grow up with religious immigrant parents (muslim, india)
>literally no concept of western pop music canon, parents only listen to indian folk sometimes (actually pretty patrish tbqh)
>listen to coldplay and daft punk sometimes, and radio, thats literally it
>bought m50s after trying them at a store
>still pleb af
>friend offers to smoke weed together
>accept, smoke 2-3 times
>look up "best things to do high"
>pink floyd dark side of the moon
>literally never heard of them before
>get high when parents are out
>lie in bed
>eyes closed
>headphones on
>dark side of the moon

Literally blew my fucking mind. I had literally no idea music could be this good. It was like I was on a rollercoaster, absolutely incredible experience

Changed my life. Probably in my top 5 most formative moments tbqh

well thats good. I dont listen to loud shit anymore. That was before I actually cared about music. The only reason I listened to it before 14 was because of my dad.

It's hard to pick one point, but I'm going with watching the video for Paranoid Android when I was 13 or so. I'd already been into music and got into bands like The Beatles and Led Zeppelin, but nothing had really swept me off my feet. Paranoid Android, though, holy shit. I don't listen to Radiohead much anymore, but hearing the last few minutes for the first time is what I imagine drugs feel like.

Neat

Yeah Dark Side is an amazing album to when you are coming of age and on after. Pink Floyd is probably my favorite group even though they didnt come in until a year or two after I heard jimi hendrix

thats not cliche.
albeit, it would be better if you were 11 in the ninties, but not cliche

have you ever been on drugs? anything at all?

Queens of the Stone Age as a high school freshman. Opened up everything. Ended up getting into Kyuss somehow which led to doom metal and eventually death and black metal. Kept up with Sup Forumscore on the side since I joined around the time Merriweather Post Pavillion released but stopped caring for fotm bnm after a while and my tastes have changed a lot since then.

Caffeine, and that's it. I'm a sheltered fuck.

I recommend you try Marijuana at least once.
Its not addictive and you dont start turning into a loser until you smoke literally every single day for like a year and on. I think Weed is one of those bucketlist worthy things for everyone

interesting. Thats on a different part of the spectrum than me. I started with Jimi Hendrix. Loved the shit out of the whole hippie era music. Now I listen to Vaporwave (unironically), jazz, Pink Floyd, and edm. I'll accasionally go back to Classic rock to but yeah

From my early childhood on i listened to music, but i basically just copied my mothers taste.
My father tried to nudge me into looking for my own music but ever really succeeded. I had mostly listened to A-Capella and pop-rock since that was what me mum did. When i was 14 my father gave me his "Deep Purple - Made in Japan" and Pink Floyds "wish you were here" and i was just blown away since i had only listened to vocal music to that day i was blown away by the concept of just instruments kind of flowing into each other and creating something great. (Yes i was aware of classical music but i had never paid attention to it.)

So yeah im eternally thankful to my dad

yeah
dad rock to the rescue is pretty much how it usually is haha

I want to. Thanks to the school system I still can't get it out of my head that it's not something negative, though I don't have any friends or means to get ahold of any drug. I hope to give it a shot one day like all musicians though.

Well the hope is that Weed gets legal across the country. Wait, are you from the US or no?

Yeah, I'm American, though my state's very conservative. I'm hoping to get out of here for that and the shit weather eventually.

I had two moments: the first time I listened to pink floyd (triggered my inner dadrock) and the first time I listened to Radiohead, especially listening to OK computer and loving from beginning to end

Indiana?

Indiana

sorry wasnt meant for you

Yeah OK computer was a major point too, but really got me with radiohead would probably have to be pyramid song for me

I think for me when I was 15. I called myself a fan of pink floyd but I mostly listened to their more pop/dad-rock music (money, another brick in the wall) but one day I listened to Echoes and it totally blew me away. I listened to it like three times in a row. After that I started appreciating Floyd properly, listening to their albums in full and started searching for more prog artist. One day I found Sup Forums and found a whole new world of music

story of my life

screencap it, its all yours my friend :^)

No, Georgia. It's pretty nice near Atlanta but the humidity and terrible politics alone makes me want to skirt out of here.

oh okay. You said Weather so I thought midwest

I will print it out and hand it on my fridge

haha stay classy you highly refined gentlesir

Im basically a man-child

I was 15 and the Muse-Interpol-Silversun Pickups trinity got me into music. I still listen to them up to this day, even if a bit less regularly. I was espescially attached to TOTBL, it helped me through that usual hard times in the mid-teen years. The moment when I had the chance to see Interpol last year was undescribable, brought back a lot of memories.

Also,
>a friendly thread on Sup Forums where you won't get belittled
Why can't there be more like this?

arent we all?

I stopped listening to muse but Silversun is some good shit. Never really listened to Interpol. Where do you reccomend I start?

it makes the world a lot more interesting, thats for sure

Kid A after 15 years of listening to whatever is on the radio at a reasonable volume really opened my ears

Go chronologically, Turn on the Bright Lights is one of the bests in the genre, Antics is still pretty good, the later albums are getting worse and worse, El Pintor is really forgettable.