Post you're favorite dad rock

post you're favorite dad rock

>7th rate beatles rip-offs

>Van Halen

>van halen

gross

stay mad faggots get taste or go listen to your beatle rip offs

Is this dadrock?

I'm not a fan of ELO or Cheap Trick, but they sound nothing at all like the Beatles. There are lots of bands that rip Beatles off, but these aren't them.

Yeah

i like to work with it

Is anything made before the 80s dadrock?

you are fucking kidding yourself if you dont think that those two artists are beatle rip offs

mr blue sky is literally a lift from the bridge from a day in the life

always liked these guys, talented and managed to avoid most of the pop-rock cliches of their time

no

You are completely delusional there's no saving you

Outlandous was there best work, everything else was meh

This man knows whats up. Love how the reggae influence has given it a more timeless feel, the same way blues makes the rolling stones sound not as time locked.

thats like the ONE song of theirs that sounds like the beatles desu

dude jeff lynne literally worships the beatles lots of his songs have obvious beatlesque moments

I'd rather listen to a fucking 39th rate Beatles rip-off than Van Halen. If we're going to attack bands on the basis of originality then Van Halen certainly is no shining example.

All those bands influenced each other equally, stupid

Speaking of ELO and The Beatles, is Traveling Wilburys the greatest supergroup line-up ever?

>Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, Roy Orbison, and Tom Petty

Only two of those are good ;)

Mah nigga. Does any Bowie or Black Sabbath count? If so, then The Man Who Sold the World and Master of Reality are top contendors.

van halen (especially on the debut) is one of the most prestigious and influential debuts of all-time in rock history only beaten by boston's s/t

but go on about how elo, a band that ripped off their own song that was a rip off of another song by the beatles is better

wordddd, i fucks with boston

Only one was good.

why do you hate ELO so much, shits good, jeez

I don't I'm just playing devils advocate with you

>Van Halen and Boston are the influential albums of all time

You don't listen to much music, do you?

>in rock history
Yes they are

even more than velvet underground sorry but its true and you know it

I just realized there was no point in me "adding especially on the debut" there that's bugging me now

>be me
>make dad rock thread so we an all share our love for daddies rock
>instead you all fight over MUH BEATLES RIP OFF and act like our actual dads

baka desu famalam

I bet you like oasis

Yeah, prestigious and influential in the cheesey MOR arena-rock category. ELO were pretty much in that category too, mind you but I give them a pass exactly because of that Beatles influence, at least some of their music had pretty melodies. Nome of Van Halen or Boston's music generally excites me at all, that may be subjective but none of these cheesey pop bands are worth getting a superiority complex over anyways.

Clearly underrated in his time.

Now maybe its dad rock by our standards.

They aren't even in the top 20 most influential rock bands.

Also this

How about The Whale?

I dig Dire Straits. Mostly for Sultans of Swing tho

I guess you would consider Tears for Fears and Led Zeppelin to be corny pomp rock too, huh?

It's their only half decent song. It's a pretty great one though. Listening to Making Movies when going through my Dad's collection was soul crushingly shite.

Highly underrated album

>not liking Romeo and Juliet
what the fuck?

god tier

For me, Brothers in arms is a masterpiece.

Thanks David Lee Roth for destroying Alcatrazz, you fag!

I'm more of a dad rocker than my dad

Cheap Trick s/t is the logical conclusion to rock music.

Not necessarily, when they weren't playing generic blues by the book Led Zeppelin wrote some very pretty music (Rain Song, Going to California come to mind) and Tears for Fears were some good pop/new-wave. It's just cock rock with pentatonic soloing and boring riffs that bothers me, generally.

Is Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers mom or dad rock?

>everything is corny stadium cock rock pomp rock arena MOR AOR glam metal hair metal tripe fuck everything

both

Nah, just Boston, Van Halen and their ilk. Oh, and the Eagles too. Something about their music really grinds my gears.

I don't listen to much dad rock other than Led Zeppelin, any recommendations?

>everything is corny stadium cock rock pomp rock arena MOR AOR glam metal hair metal blues by the pages tripe fuck everything

If you like zep, I recommend
>Leafhound - Growers of Mushroom
>Black Cat Bones - Barbed Wire Sandwich
and anything else on this chart you wanna check out

there's a ton of different shit, start anywhere

I recommend Deep Purple - Made in Japan

is there an essential dad rock chart

I've tried so many times to listen to this but I turn it off whenever the stupid drum solos start.

Thanks. I have shitty internet so it's such a hassle to trawl through so much shit to get to the gems. Will look into all of those

Honestly you are better looking at the more mainstream stuff. I will never understand the love of obscure 70s / late 60s heavy psych / hard rock albums like once you've heard one of those you've heard them all. Obviously exaggerating here to persuade you to listen to my list first because there is some really good stuff on there (Leaf Hound, Lucifers Friend)

Try:
Wishbone Ash
Thin Lizzy
Free
Nazareth
Budgie
Bad Company (maybe?)

Show yourself the fuck out.

This album is amazing. Cheap Trick in general are highly underrated.

I agree wholeheartedly.

came here to post this

>Queen
>underrated
I think you mean overrated

Shit opinion. Queen's 70s albums are underrated.

the face when ur 21 and this is dad rock

I just heard it for the first time recently and was blown away. What other Cheap Trick albums are essential?

Mom rock but the pinnacle of it

the spaceships are guitars.

I got this on vinyl from my dad. Fucking love it.

After their S/T, their releases became more and more poppier so you should probably listen to their old demos and Sex, America, Cheap Trick.

>band has 5 guitar players

That shit's grandfather rock

YOU GO BACK, JACK
DO IT AGAIN

Steely Dan's first album is really damn smooth

I've heard people say that's one of the worst album covers but I like it, it's so weird and groovy

I think reddit is more suited for you

Oh it's great

I guess people just don't like the yellow with the beige background. Not even mentioning the hookers in the background. Because of that they used a different cover in Spain under Franco, I think.

Regardless, the album really gets me going. And I like the cover, personally.

I think blowing your face off with a shotgun is more suited for you. Degenerate millenial fuckhead.

am I the only one who thinks this counts a proto-punk?

Not at all. They were Joey Ramone's favorite band. He even covered their song "Way of the World" on one of his solo albums.

Scratch that, he covered I'll Be With You Tonight from Dream Police

Good shit my man

I win.

ELO don't get enough recognition here. Jeff Lynne wrote, sang and produced all his albums and can play all the damn instruments if he wanted to as well.

ELO in general get underrated cause (like in this thread) beatle fans go all autistic. Jeff has said 5048509358 times the beatles influence him, why is that bad? I'd say he made a song better than most beatle songs desu. Not only that, but he seemed to want more from music. I respect his visionary and musical mindsets

also, time is literally 10/10

UNFORTUNATELY, for whatever reason, he hasn't made a good album since, although his latest is decent. He's capable of more, maybe he's just old and lazy.

In Color and At Budokan (the complete concert version)

>no one's posted the boss yet
i am disappoint guys

All dads must have at least listened to this by law.

Yeah, totally agree.
Beatles said if they continued they'd sound like ELO. The quality of his arrangements has been consistent through the 70's and I like all the weird 'experimental' parts he's made too.
I'm hoping he'll work on another album - there's definitely still a mainstream following if the latest tours are anything to go by.

Eldorado is their best album
Lennon seemed to like them so I'd at least call them 1st rate.