us21.chatzy.com/59909875845885
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

danse manatee

I'll start

>let me... begin

LET ME BEGGGINNNN

holy shit, diff anons, b2b comments, what are the odds

objectivity coming through

I usually hop between these two, none of their other albums really match the energy of these guys.

>Feels
>Strawberry Jam
>Sung Tongs
>Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished
>Fall Be Kind
>ODDSAC
>Merriweather Post Pavillion
>Centipede Hz
>Painting With
>Here Comes the Indian
>Water Curses
>Danse Manatee
>Campfire Songs
>Hollinndagain
>People

glad you noted it

i noted it here, upper-half tier for sure:

even though I list Painting With above Here Comes the Indian, I'm pretty sure it's a solid tie between them

This needs to be updated with Painting With

who is up to the task??

this one also needs to be updated

something tells me one chart is Panda Bear based, and the other is Avey Tare based

they're all equally good, tbqh senpai

The Best to Worst Animal Collective Albums:

1. Painting With
2. Centipede Hz
3. Danse Manatee
4. Hollinndagain
5. Strawberry Jam
6. Merriweather Post Pavilion
7. Sung Tongs
8. Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished
9. Campfire Songs
10. Here Comes the Indian
11. Feels

You obviously don't think this is true. Why else would you have posted it?

Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished - A reluctant 10/10
Danse Manatee - 6/10
Hollinndagain - 7/10
Campfire Songs - 10/10
Here Comes the Indian - 10/10
Sung Tongs - 9/10
Feels - 10/10
Strawberry Jam - 8/10
Merriweather Post Pavilion - 9/10
ODDSAC - 9/10
Centipede Hz - 5/10
Painting With - 4/10

You demonstrate a sincere lack of individual thought, this b8 list is more respectable

There is an updated chart on the wiki. I'm too lazy to grab it though. The new char contains everything

Question: Is " Remember Learning How to Dive" about suicide?

The funny thing is, both are me.

Almost definitely not. I can see where that theory would come about, I think it's a song that's first and foremost literally about the process of first diving into water. It's just so vague that it can be applied metaphorically to a ton of stuff, which I like a lot. I'd say your reading is definitely valid, just probably not one to one with the creative intent behind the track.

It came from me mishearing the lyrics with my first couple times listening to the album (not paying attention to track titles)
>I Remember Learning How to Die

I've always interpreted it as being about death, relating death to learning how to dive, and how birth and death in a way are the same thing. I see it as a positive song.

Interesting, I always heard drive

It's about not being scared to face your fears and the moment after of realizing there was nothing to fear at all.

You guys are slacking

Followed by Campfire Songs

Best ep

AAAA----------AAAAAAAAAAA--------__AAAAAAAAAA------------AAAAAAAAA-----AAAAAAAAAAA

objective ranking coming through
Sung Tongs > Hollinndagain > STGSTV >= HCtI > SJ >= MPP > DM > PW > CS >= Feels >>> CHz
you do realize that Geo and Deak (I think they're the two that do) love scuba diving right? it's probably just about that honestly.

I don't know much about anco members individually

best to less best

>MPP
>CHz
>SJ
>STGSTV
>Feels
>Sung Tongs
>HCTI
>PW
>CS

i haven't listened to hollinndagain and DM yet

pretty accurate I think but I would swap MPP and Sung Tongs and move Water Curses above Painting With

Why does everyone hate Campfire Songs so much

it's fantastic for what it is but it's never really clicked with me
I think if I was in the right mindset it would be beautiful though

i don't hate it! it's just harder to get into

It's got god tier transitions, I can put it on and run cover to cover without noticing a song change.

updated anco chart that user was talking about

>Flawless
Feels
Here Comes the Indian
Campfire Songs
>Great
Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished
Prospect Hummer
Sung Tongs
ODDSAC
Merriweather Post Pavilion
Transverse Tempotal Gyrus
Water Curses
Fall Be Kind
Strawberry Jam
>Good
Hollinndagain
People
>Decent
Danse Manatee
Keep
>Poor
Centipede Hz
Painting With
>Insulting
Monkey Been to Burntown

PEOPLE LAST DELETE THIS

MUH TIKWID

>Centipede Hz
>Poor
when will this meme end?

I really have no idea how anyone could rank Here Comes the Indian and Campfire Songs below Centipede Hz and Painting With. I bet you also think the Wiggles are better than Talk Talk.

Keep pretending to enjoy terrible, cheesy, unnatural songwriting with an absolutely repulsive sonic attack and lyrics that range from cringe-inducingly forced to whatever at best. I am so tired of arguing against people who insist that this is good just because they can't accept that Animal Collective's best work is behind them. If Animal Collective ever make another great record, I'll give it the praise that it deserves. Sleep Cycle is actually my favorite album of the year so far. But for now, it seems that Animal Collective as a force is spent.

>A reluctant 10/10
What the fuck do you mean by reluctant?

>sleep cycle is actually my favorite album of the year
How to spot a drone. OMG wasn't it so cool how Deak totally BTFOed Anco? Simply ebin!
Painting with is far more innovative and exciting. Keep your nostalgia goggles out of this gramps.

You're putting a lot into my mouth for you to argue with, aren't you?

And I'm sick of people saying their best work is behind them when they released possibly the more innovative and experimental pop albums to come out this year. Something completely different from their norm, something that grabs your attention whether you dislike it or not, and something that holds up cohesively as an album and even has songs that stand very well on their own like Vertical, On Delay, Bagels in Kiev, Hocus Pocus, and Spilling Guts.

The only criticism I ever see about this severely underrated album is that it "sounds like farts" or "doesn't sound animal collectivey enough because muh feels and sung tongs"

Animal Collective rarely ever tries to emulate an old sound, if ever. Painting With and Centipede Hz will stand with some of their best in due time. People are just nostalgic for their old ambient driven soundscapes and droning effects. They may revisit that some day, and maybe then you'll say it's a great album because it's what you'd been hoping for. However, musically and stylistically Centipede Hz and Painting With both present interesting concepts and execute them well while pertaining a unique and innovative sound.

Whatever, people like you just make me feel exhausted.

Go to bed then, bitch.

>my opinion is objective and critics agree with me so I don't even need to argue my point
Embarrassing

ebin shut down!

Keep avoiding making an actual argument, it lends you and other neo Anco haters a lot of legitimacy

I'm not the guy who was avoiding arguing though, but yeah. What you said.

Got it, just a shitposting retard. Go back to Sup Forums if you don't want to talk about music you fuck.

Oh I already discussed music. Discussion ended. I was right.

I've argued my point countless times, I've just been completely beaten down by people who just want to pretend that Animal Collective are at the top of their game because they can't accept that Animal Collective have passed their creative prime. When that guy called their current output "the more innovative and experimental pop albums to come out this year" I just felt sad for him. The problem with Painting With isn't that it "sounds like farts" as he says (trying to make it seem like the argument against it is based on something insipid and petty,) it's that it has absolutely no creative integrity, and feels completely disengaged, like they've just accepted the limitations on their capabilities, rather than expanding on what they can do, which is what made them great in the 2000's. Members of Animal Collective have referred to Animal Collective as work in recent years. Though it's contents are more offensive, I think that Centipede Hz is the superior Animal Collective album of the 2010's, because on that album, it sounds like they at least wanted to believe that they were capable of something more than what they felt they were. Painting With just sounds like throwing their hands up in the air in defeat, at least creatively. In the 2000's, they were living together. Animal Collective was their life. Now they live across the world from each other and Animal Collective has become work for them.

This went off into a tangent, but whatever, I think you know this anyway.

>praises painting with in one post
>insults someone trying to defend it in the next
Yeah, post proof if you want to be taken seriously

I could get behind this

>Times change, life intervenes. Painting With was the first time the band jumped right into the studio. Work can be scheduled, magic can't.
Yeah, I read the pitchfork review too, you didn't have to regurgitate it

I DON'T get how the fuck people can think this. They make something completely different from anything they've made before, something that sounds pretty far off from conventional pop music yet maintains the structures, and they're called out for having "no creative integrity" because they didn't explore something they've done a million times or make long drawn out drone, or what ever the case may be.

We can sit here and generalize all night but to just say "Painting With is them throwing their hands up in the air in defeat" is not a valid fucking criticism. They had an idea they wanted to convey, a concept to put forth, and they achieve it very fucking well. Sorry you don't get it man. But to say they've lost "creative" integrity and interest in their lifes work, yes, lifes work as they've said they will be doing this most likely for years and years and years to come because they're PASSIONATE about it. I've never heard any of them refer to Animal Collective as feeling a lot like work or like they didn't want to be doing it. That idea is just fucking silly. It's almost as silly as "Oh this was a commercialized album because they're broke and need to make money so they just pooped something out real quick"

Seriously, can anyone provide LEGITIMATE criticism as to WHY this album is "uncreative" and not "interesting" without saying some generalized statement like "all of the songs sound the same" or "the instrumentation isn't varied enough"(which is BS by the way) or "it sounds like farts"? The latter is especially popular, almost as popular as saying it sounds like the Fanboy and Chum Chum theme song. I get that these songs are cartoony and whimsical, but that has ALWAYS been a very large part of what AnCo is and does so I don't see why suddenly that's a draw back for some people.

Tangent aside, what are your SERIOUS criticisms of Painting With as a whole? Specifics. I can explain in detail why I find it creative, well executed, and well written.

I don't care enough and you shouldn't either.

I hate how if Pitchfork states an opinion that you hold or held prior, you can no longer have that opinion, because people can just call you a Pitchfork drone without actually responding to what you're saying. And people say I'm the one avoiding an argument. Whatever, fuck you, keep on thinking that Centipede Hz and Painting With are the best fucking things Animal Collective have ever done and subjecting yourselves to music you hate because you're too pathetic to own up to what you feel, stupid pathetic fucks.

lol

I by no means said they're the "best fucking things" AnCo has done, they simply aren't "the worst" as you like to imply.

>own up to what you feel
So because YOU feel like Animal Collective is dead and has no passion, that means I must absolutely feel that and if I say I don't I'm pretending? Your logic is astounding user.

I don't know man, I just feel retarded when I listen to Painting With and feel like I can't tell people that I like Animal Collective because I can't have them look them up and hear fucking Floridada and think that I'm retarded.

This is pasta right

So you don't like Painting With because you're a low test beta who is afraid people will mock you behind your back for listening to Floridada?

Pleb.

The actually ARE the worst and you KNOW this, because they contain an embarrassing, audibly forced, cheesy sound that is only there when you're doing something that isn't natural, and none of their 2000's output has this. Even Danse Manatee has a free, natural, effortlessness. Go ahead and say I'm wrong because music is subjective. You'll never agree with me no matter how true what I'm saying rings with you. Just keep lying to yourself, you week, delusional morons.

No. Why, because it's more than one sentence and god forbid someone actually type out their thoughts on Sup Forums? I can share some pasta on the subject if you'd like.

So I really like Sung Tongs and Feels but found Strawberry Jam kind of disappointing.

Should I check out Campfire Songs or something? What else do I look into?

Yeah. I'm lying to myself.

Get real with yourself dude. What they were doing in their early days was gimmicky as fuck at first too. Have you SEEN their early shows? Hooping and hollering over electronic bleeps and bloops? I guarantee you people had the same arguments your making about Painting With right now for Danse Manatee when it first came out.

Danse Manatee doesn't necessarily sound "natural" or "effortless" either. There were "gimmicks" on that album as well. Like, for instance, the fact they "forced" the use of extreme high and low frequencies throughout the record because it was what they wanted to experiment with at the time?

Perhaps on Painting With they wanted to experiment with shortening their average track length to something below 3 minutes, while retaining a complex sound, but within simplistic pop styling.

But yeah, it's all just a forced gimmick in a desperate attempt to remain "relevant". Because you know, that's what they've always cared about. What you're saying will never ring true with me because it's the rantings of an extremely bitter and cynical nostalgia fag who wants more albums like Feels.

By the way, you were wrong about their best album of the 2010's being Centipede Hz because unfortunately that title goes to Oddsac.

Campfire Songs is my absolute favorite Animal Collective album. Really great atmosphere and interesting song writing. The themes on the album are really nice too. I'd explain but I don't want to give you any preconceived notions. Give it a listen and see what you think.

Whatever man, you're just going so far out of your way at this point to say Centipede Hz and Painting With are good, even as far as to dis their early approach to music. I almost feel glad that you've been driven to talk like this, because it's what you deserve for being so delusional. If Animal Collective ever do put out another great album, it won't be the same for you as it will be for me, because you'll have been defending all the garbage they've put out in recent years. You deserve to be deprived because of how you're acting.

I'm not the nostalgia fag here. There's plenty of music from the past five years that I love, but IT WASN'T MADE BY ANIMAL COLLECTIVE. YOU'RE the nostalgia fag for refusing to accept that a band that was once phenomenal is still at the top of it's game.

What makes you think they'll put out another great record if you hate their output so much now? Waiting for more positive critical reception to validate your opinions?

I love how you're projecting the idea that I only like Animal Collective and acting as though I said Painting With and Centipede Hz are their greatest albums.

For one, Campfire Songs is my favorite animal collective album. Just to throw that out there. Two, I wasn't dissing their early approach to music. STGSTV and Danse are in my top 5. I was merely paralleling how you're acting now to how someone may have acted after first hearing Danse or something.

I feel you're making a lot of assumptions about me into being some hipster tryhard kid who listens exclusively to Animal Collective and only like Centipede Hz and Painting With because it's all I've heard. You'd be wrong if that's the case.

>You deserve to be deprived because of how you're acting.

Deprived of WHAT exactly? You're at your wits end here, you don't even know what the fuck you're saying anymore. Yeah, I'm so deprived by my enjoyment of their recent album. I'm so deprived because I can listen to Painting With, and then go back and listen to Here Comes The Indian, and then sit back and be like "Wow. Those were both pretty awesome records."

How deprived I must be. I mean, it must be awesome being the guy who hates anything Animal Collective has released since 2009.

He's devoid of logic.

For me, Painting With is an album representing the ideas behind Cubism and Dadaism. It's a collage of sound splattered on canvas conveyed through geometric patterns of synth melodies surrounding the framework, that which is the vocals. A lot of the melodies in these songs may seem disjointed and really out of place but they all work very well together when you listen to the song as a whole. I feel like this is partly what they were trying to do with Centipede Hz. The objective of Centipede Hz was to have a main progression (the body) with tons of little melodies and rhythms working around it like hundreds of little legs. The effects such as delay and reverb and chorus all helped to achieve this idea, especially on Panda's kit.

To say Painting With is soulless seems a little strange to me. It may not relate to people on an absolute personal level, but I feel its more a commentary on society as a whole around the world. It isn't just a personal experience, it's one that we as the world are sharing. Songs like Floridada talk about human nature to not want to sit in one place for too long, wanting to explore and find meaning in different lands and areas. Searching for something more. Hocus Pocus talks about the longing for a magic that seems lost, or even might refer to the cultural change of view for marijuana in the states "legalize this prinicple", the principle of allowing one to maintain their happiness through their own means. Vertical seems to talk about stacking and stacking up a corporate ladder to appease those above you, or doing so in order to get where you need to go "my feet can't cross the parking lot, the parking lot is way too hot". (cont.)

All you can do is say that my opinions are the direct result of critical reception and not the actual contents of the music, because part of you knows what I'm saying is true but can't admit it because you can't accept that great bands don't stay great forever.

Lying in the Grass seems to be a song about searching for a cure for something, one that already exists. "Not asahmed to say the instincts there, but a virtue to deny the truth" It's almost like they're referring to a cure existing for this sickness, either that or knowing it exists but not wanting to confront it. The Burglars has always seemed like a song about taxes to me. We grow up thinking of burglars as someone who comes in your house and physically steals your things, when in reality there are people every day working behind desks and doing paper work shuffling numbers around doing FAR more damage to the economy. "When I was young my parents yelled beware of the ivory man who would steal and sell" Ivory Man? Seems like it could be referring to someone from an Ivory Tower, someone of great importance or very high stature. Natural Selection is a song about not being a materialist, and not measuring your success by the things you have but by how rich your soul is, how many smiles you place on peoples faces. "You measure hits by stuff in the house, it's more sincerely smiles on the face". Bagels in Kiev to me is a very personal song, and not just a commentary on society, but perhaps it is. He makes a reference to not being there to witness the miracle of Moses parting the sea, but he also wasn't there to notice the amazing things his grandfather did for his community in Kiev with his bagels. But he's heard the stories, and he appreciates that fact and it's something he carries with him. Also, it seems like a song about everyone coming together over a nice warm bagel, even if they weren't getting along or if they were before. On Delay I haven't exactly figured out what the meaning behind it is, but to say it doesn't sound good is mind blowing to me. It's one of the better songs on the album. I could sit here and try and explain what I think it's about but I'm not entirely too sure so I won't. (cont.)

Agreed
So funny you draw the parallel between HCTI and PW, I think they're really comparable and both in my top 5 anco

Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished - 10/10
Feels - 10/10
Here Comes the Indian - 10/10
Strawberry Jam - 9.5/10
Hollinndagain - 9/10
Sung Tongs - 9/10
Campfire Songs - 10/10
Danse Manatee - 8/10
Merriweather Post Pavilion - 7.5/10
Centipede Hz - 6/10
Painting With - 5/10

in order of favorite to least favorite

>Campfire Songs and Hollinndagain near the bottom
Fucking kill yourself

>generalizes responses as to why Painting With isn't good
>says the band is over because he doesn't like Painting With and thinks it's weak
>Doesn't discuss any actual musical content
>turns around and accuses someone else of not discussing musical content

Lets talk about the actual song structures, melodies, lyrics, themes, concepts, instrumentation, sampling, etc. etc. of the music and what you don't like. I'll wait.

Spilling Guts seems to be about breaking under the pressure of stress and wanting to lash out at the world, but doing so makes you, yourself, get in your own way. Take the hit or take the fall. You either roll with the punches or crumble under the weight. Summing the Wretch has some pretty cool polyrhythms and the little samples and wavering bells that surround the bassline and vocals are nice. The lyrics seem to indicate something about integrity, doing things for the betterment of yourself or others even though no ones looking or watching. However, the same can be said for when no one is watching, it's a hell of a lot easier to do the worst things you could do. Golden Gal is pretty clearly about showing respect for the girls in the world who have to put of with the strenuous expectations of our society. Giving a shout out to the mothers, sisters, daughters, girlfriends, grandmothers who have all held their head up through the troubles while supporting the men they do. Not allowing society to keep them down. "You think the girls would be so comfortable these days, but sexy genders bring some troubles to the fray". I feel like he's referring to the fact that "sexy genders" being the expectations society has of women, get in the way of a girl wanting to be her true self. It's a motivational tune. Recycling is a tough one for me, because it's probably the only song on the album I'm really not that big a fan of, but it's not horrible. I'm not entirely sure what the lyrics want to convey, but it seems like turning all of your negative cynicism into fuel you can use to move forward in society to better yourself.

But hey, these are just my opinions. And that's just from the songs ideological stand points. Musically, I think each of them stands on their own. The instrumentation is awesome in my opinion. I don't think it sounds at all soulless, it has a very nice bounce to it, it glows radiantly and it has a charged feeling. It may not have the dynamics (cont)

some of their other albums have, but that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't as good. While it may not have the dynamics, it still isn't a jolting push to the finish line that assaults your ears the entire time. It is very well paced, the cohesion is immense (I'd say the only thing that throws it off is Bagels in Kiev, kind of out of left field desu) but it's a great album in my opinion.

The first few times I listened to it, the artwork probably helped this imagery, but I could literally imagine all of these melodies and vocal arrangements and percussion as little geometric patterns falling into place on a canvas to make cubist artwork while the lyrics and more "disjointed" bits of production (samples/notation/effects) portrayed thoughts of dadaism. Collaging these sounds together is part of what I feel makes it such a hugely awesome album. It's an idea they've been playing with since Oddsac and Transverse Temporal Gyrus, but I feel this is the first time they completely and fully applied it to a piece of their pop work. And I think they did a great job with it. Each synth, texture, voice, sample, effect, is a brush touching to the canvas that is Painting With.

Random drive by shilling

radioking.com/radio/wivaria
facebook/WiVaria
us21.chatzy.com/59909875845885

Dead as fuck broadcast currently taking requests, here's the Sup Forums thread

Request some AnCo I guess, Went over well yesterday.

Panda Bear is best AnCo

gtfo

Get the fuck in that broadcast

dead thread good night fellas.

Jaw dropping explanation, I know.