Alright Sup Forums

Alright Sup Forums.
What exactly is Vaporwave and why it is a meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YcsYSJwewWk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Vaporwave is old easy listening songs slowed down and reverbed

Some pretentious fucks say it's a commentary on vapid consumer culture

It's a meme because like most internet memes it propagates by high volumes of low-effort imitation

Modified 80s pop music usually distributed with the intent to pair it with an image that is a pastiche of 80s Young Professional culture.

James Ferraro invented it,OPN perfected it, Mac Plus made it mainstream.

bad vaporwave is like this.

Decent to mildly good vaporwave sounds like Blank Banshee and pic related.

It's a meme becaue there's people who take it 100% seriously.

I'm good

all vaporwave is bad

vaporwave is dead, cyber ambient is beautiful

Incorrect.

unless this album is now considered what said.

I personally think this is a masterpiece, but definitely cannot be categorized as vaporwave.

That's not vaporwave

Then what is it?

Ambient

cyber ambient essentials pls

Bloodychunder-phonics.

It's kind of if like jereon tel or jam hammer tried too hard to seem cool in the modern age and slowed down their tracks while making it sound like edgy edm music.

It's ambient

I don't know why you would think it's vaporwave, the only aesthetic elements it has in common with vaporwave is slow tempos and warbly pitch bending - if that's all it takes to make vaporwave, Boards of Canada invented vaporwave years before anyone came up with a word for it

Chances are if you meet someone who even knows what vaporwave is they listen to Yung Lean or Saint Pepsi and think its vaporwave.

It is vaporware inspired ambient, but ambient in the end, I suppose. All right, I guess you're right.

>vaporwave inspired ambient
2814's first release could be considered this, but Birth of a New Day is somewhere else entirely

Birth of a New Day is ambient
Blank Banshee is trap
neither of these are vaporwave but they're always categorized as such and it cranks with my steez

Then what the hell is vaporwave
Gimme a solid example

this. Other stylistic inspirations =/= different genre

Macintosh Plus - Floral Shoppe
James Ferraro - Far Side Virtual

youtube.com/watch?v=YcsYSJwewWk

over what grounds is this considered vaporwave and blank banshee doesnt?

Yeah, nobody is saying that

You have to be really new to music to think that Birth of a New Day falls into the same genre as Floral Shoppe

It's not a matter of "other stylistic inspirations", it's a matter of entirely different styles with only a couple of shared elements, none of which are the hallmark elements that define vaporwave

I'm not the guy who said blank banshee isn't vaporwave

Not sure I agree with that statement desu

Anyone who thinks Vaporwave is bad hasn't listened through Skeleton's discog.

anyone got a download link to this?

BoaND, I agree isn't vaporwave, but some people here are saying that Blank Banshee isn't vaporwave because ir is trap influenced, which I behemently disagree with. ()

I'm with you on that one

A little splash of trap in stuff like BB and vaperror doesn't make it not vaporwave

Exactly. Anyway, glad to argue with a rational individual for a change around here. What's your take on the genre? Fav albums maybe?

I think it's a cool concept, lots of trash out there thanks to the low barrier to entry. I haven't really listened to enough of it to have a favorite album though, I kinda slid right past proper vaporwave into borderline-not-vapor and straight ambient stuff like 2814 and most of what dream catalogue puts up.

Do you have any favorites?

Only 2814's stuff and some of Vektroid's. Pic related of is an insanely comfy but kinda boring record. Still, one of my favs. It's in youtube, if you want to check it out. Home TM is the name.