/prod/ - Music Production General

>Production Resources:

>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors
mu-sic-production.wikia.com
There's a severe lack of DAW descriptions in the wiki. If you're good with your tool of choice, consider writing a paragraph about it.

/prod/ IRC & Discord is up!
discord.gg/0wV1D4bx3283zPPS
To join, you can go to rizon.net/chat
Choose a nick, put #/prod/ as channel. Enter!
Or you can get a lightweight desktop client here hexchat.github.io/downloads.html

Remember to use clyp.it to post your tracks/WIP: posting a clyp.it is just providing sound for a question, posting a Soundcloud link is making self-advertisement and the thread doesn't need that.

Remember to check other peoples' clyp.it links to keep the thread healthy.

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/jew3GPCZ
clyp.it/33fpjr42
youtube.com/watch?v=mLWyYyY9Q3c
clyp.it/mw2oq4oi
clyp.it/fyrblc33
clyp.it/rt05kuz1
clyp.it/woy1wlvr
clyp.it/oehoxo21
clyp.it/t1kzyay3
youtube.com/watch?v=PjHMYNM46Fw
easyeartraining.com/learn/recognize-different-types-synthesis/?utm_source=ping_250516&utm_medium=ping&utm_campaign=ping
patches.zone
macmusic.org/software/cat.php/lang/en/id/7007/
jbum.com/syd/
warmplace.ru/soft/ans/
soundonsound.com/techniques/studio-sos-guide-monitoring-acoustic-treatment
polymathperspective.com/?p=2997
clyp.it/3daj4q3i
clyp.it/xt53o4zw
u-he.com/cms/bazille
musicradar.com/news/tech/computer-music-2016-synth-special-august-2016-issue-232-639315
clyp.it/yeaebmjz
clyp.it/t422beld
clyp.it/hcbiyyvx
clyp.it/itcirsxl
youtube.com/watch?v=n7yOgNjkP4g
youtube.com/watch?v=nWTaSNQULHE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Can we dissect this /prod/?
Synth recipes, production techniques, sequencing, drum machines used?

its boring shite
it relies on the MUH VERY OBSCURE SYNTH

OP here again, updated pastebin: pastebin.com/jew3GPCZ

>clyp.it/33fpjr42
Any thoughts? Scrap it or finish?

modular rigs with this much spaghetti trigger me for some reason

If I'm not mistaken, it belongs to the guy who scored the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy

don't have my headphones with me but it sounds g through my laptop speakers

finish everything btw, it's a good habit to get into

Thanks, I usually finish everything just not sure about this one. Afraid it might get too bland or repetitive.

What do i need to start making beats? Should i get a midi keyboard or just a drum pad? I'd like to make some lo-fi beats.

You could just program them without any hardware but a midi keyboard with some pads will do just fine, if lo-fi is what you're going for.

Thanks!

bump

hi /prod/,

what are the differences between digital EQ's and compressors in terms of how they process the sound?

are the differences between stock EQ and an expensive alternatives really noticeable?

What daw are you using? The new eq8 in ableton 9 is fantastic, otherwise i usually use fabfilter vsts for eq/compression/saturation

i use logic pro for the most part, i'm just curious what is the actual difference between them?

do you just use fabfilter for the features or it sounds better to you?

There are differences, most of them are pretty subtle if you're using regular compressors and eqs and not "vintage modeled" ones. I find that the free reaper EQ and compressor are perfectly fine, you can use them in any DAW and they're pretty much pro quality. Or you can demo some expensive ones and see if you like them any better. Fabfilter and Brainworx are the most famous for EQ, Fabfilter also has a well known compressor.

You can also look into "linear phase" eqs, there's some sort of recommendation like use linear phase for eqing high end, use regular eqs for eqing low end, something like that, I don't really bother with them though, regular eq seems fine to me.

I used the fabfilter eq mostly for the overlayed spectral analysis it has but they've added that to the ableton eq8 so i ise it less, the fabfilter compressor and saturator are much better in sound quality and control than anything else i've used

their gate is also better than ableton's

Anyone know the technique to make the spacey subbass/kick drum that is often used on underground house/techno tracks?

example:
youtube.com/watch?v=mLWyYyY9Q3c

i tried processing an additional kick with LPF>Reverb>Compression

but its not getting me there
is it a synth?

clyp.it/mw2oq4oi

ambient
gib opinions please
i'm tired of fishing for answers

i dont know much about ambient drone music so i'm not sure how to crit.

mix wise, i felt some of the elements could have more stereo spread... and over all, more contrast between low and high frequencies.

also
how do you go about making tracks like that? is it a bunch of synth/samples that have time stretched and resampled?

Idk how people get that revereb kick sound either tbqh. Every forum is like "it's obvious lmao noob"

Thanks user

Slow tempo
Pads
Tons of effects
Reverb everywhere
Twist things until you like it
I also sampled a short noise thing i made while being halfconscious to make a "moving" drone ( just by dropping his pitch by 3/4 octaves )

I tried to make it, what do you think?

clyp.it/fyrblc33

I switched up the ending to my weird sounds. Roast it, I might start mixing it a little better if I feel like it's not so stupid later.

clyp.it/rt05kuz1

needs more flavour

something more melodic to make it move along better. the end works way better than the first half or so i think.

I'VE HEARD WORSE THO SENPAI GOOD WORK KEEP IT UP.

Flavor you say? Idk what would really fit in the wonky first half, I'll play around some more. Thanks mang

even like a little vocal chop or something just to add another element would be nice i think.

you're welcome lad

clyp.it/woy1wlvr

Be honest with me, /prod/, am I trying too hard to be the next Scott Walker?

im still trying to make this sound better but it's hard to do much at a low preamp gain. its still a low quality mess fuck. what am i doing wrong?
clyp.it/oehoxo21

thats actually pretty good

can you screen shot your effects chain to get that sound?

Yeah, I put the kick on two channels, one channel I lowpassed pretty hard, the other one I did all the reverb type effects on. Here's the reverb effects channel

the actual kick drum doesn't sound like it's being sent to a reverb bus at all. Sounds like there are a few layered sounds on top of it which are being reverberated

To get the same thumpiness of a kick like that you can make a drastic cut around the mid range, and use some compression

lowpassed kick

Then I also sent the reverbed kick channel to another more normal sounding reverb, here's that send.

Finally some compression and limiting on the group of the lowpassed kick and reverbed kick

Was fucking with that sorta thing, I think I got an idea now thanks again

aw shit another molotfag. sup.

Hey molot bro

I'm giving a shot at ableton. but I find problems with the download options. One didn't work at all and the one I have now it's "not verified" and I can't save my things.

Any help on that would me much appreciated.

don't know how to solve your problem but i like it mate,was expecting drums and maybe some other instruments to kick in around 13s-14s when the riff loops back,Sounds nice regardless tho hope you figure out whats wrong and finish it

well how are you trying to do it?

possibly resampled kick. ( i noticed it helped to stretch a bit in ableton) saturation, bit crushing, obviously reverb. i mean it's mostly playing with the reverb. convolution if you like those types.

Mixing secrets for the small studio has very little useful information/tips in it. If you've literally never used a DAW before its not helpful, if you have but you're trying to understand advanced mixing techniques, it's not useful.

couldn't get through bish bosh/i don't like the style... though some parts i love

i don't understand this style but it sounds really good...

when it reloops you should add low voices in the chord or a bass or something with some singing :^)

clyp.it/t1kzyay3

>lofi boom bap

how does this sound so far? been working myself out of a slump and this is the first thing i've really made in months

idk who that is but your singing is really weak, you seem to have a good grasp of ambiance tho so just keep working at it

i dig it, feel like it could benefit from a real groove but i like your sound design

My second attempt at being cassetteboy.
youtube.com/watch?v=PjHMYNM46Fw

Had to do the backing track for this myself as there a breakbeat version of Keep The Red Flag Flying out there. Was really fucking weird writing breaks in 3/4 instead of 4/4.

Thoughts, criticisms insults?

By the way, the offensive views Corbyn espouses in this video are meant as a joke...don't take it seriously.

Bumping with some interesting links I've found recently:

easyeartraining.com/learn/recognize-different-types-synthesis/?utm_source=ping_250516&utm_medium=ping&utm_campaign=ping

patches.zone

macmusic.org/software/cat.php/lang/en/id/7007/

jbum.com/syd/

warmplace.ru/soft/ans/

soundonsound.com/techniques/studio-sos-guide-monitoring-acoustic-treatment

polymathperspective.com/?p=2997

>Get enough money for a piece of gear
>Don't want to spend it because I like having money
Anyone else know this feel? The only things I ever buy are that aren't life essentials are hardware and WoW btw.

iktf bro

but then komplete went on sale and i hate myself for being a jew over the past two years

Whats the point of having money if you don't spend it?

Here's something, how many of you started making beats and then moved on to something else?

Started with ambient and prog synth then moved to electro/ebm

Always kinda paranoid I'll miss out on gear I want thats usually to expensive, but is cheap for some reason. I've seen some old analog polysynths go for cheap like an ax60 for 200usd.

Anybody have any experience with the volca series by korg? I'm new to production, just like to mess around and make simple hip hop beats. Recently bought the volcabeats and like it but pretty limited for different sounds, i ordered the volca sample today because i had money to blow.

I have money saved to buy guy but I'm planning on moving country in a year so I'm holding out, but the wait is long...

made a quick demo to see how the kick fits in a mix...it's not bad

clyp.it/3daj4q3i

I have the Sample and Bass

Started out with Drum n Bass, a short foray into Dubstep (to me, just slow drum n bass), now make Orchestral Score stuff.

I only buy shit that's fairly old, at a price I know I can make a profit on. Example: Oberheim matrix 1000. Its okay. Sucks to program, but its an analog poly synth that I got for 150USD, and I know some moron will pay more than that If I wanted to sell the thing.

>I only buy shit that's fairly old, at a price I know I can make a profit on.
So do you not buy gear to keep? I'm usually the other way I buy gear because I really want it for a certain purpose so once I've bought it I look at it as the value of it is zero. I've had to sell a few things over the years for one reason or another but never wanted to.
Are you a synth flipper or do you just get bored with the gear you buy?

I saved for a year to get £1500 so I could buy a hardware sampler as I really wanted to make some Jungle breaks. Once I had it I started feeding all sorts of sounds into it and never got round to making a single Jungle tune.
Now I pretty much seem to do a lot of sound design and the odd minimal piece using those sounds

cheers for these m8

basically this is what I tell myself to justify buying synths and gear shit. I'm not in total hoarding territory, but I def. have some gear that I don't use regularly. I figure its better than having money lying in an account where it accrues so little interest.

I try not to be redundant though. I have one analog mono synth (moog voyager signature ed.- 1400USD WITH the CV expander module), one digital poly synth (waldorf q keyboard 1100 USD, but had to invest more to replace some broken knobs that are no longer produced), one analog poly (oberheim matrix 1000 (150 as stated earlier). All were purchased at great prices and If I got money desperate I could sell them for more. But until that day, I will have fun with them.

I did buy a second pair of Mackie HR824, because the price was just unbelievable (350USD from a guy addicted to speed selling off his shit). I do like having a second pair as a backup just because I fucking love my main pair of mackies.

At this point I'm totally content and the only thing I would consider buying more of is hard drives.

What I did was setup ebay alerts on my phone for certain gear and relentlessly trolled for good deals and only pulled the trigger when I saw a truly remarkable price.

hey prod just starting out in ableton and thinking about getting the novation launchkey looking to make some simple hip hop beats is it a good controller or am i about to make a huge mistake?

I have the beats and sample running through a beats yep pro. For the price, you really can't get something like the volca beats. It's pretty spectacular once you learn the intricacies of it/hook it up to another device via midi. With some light effects it can be more than you think.

The volca sample is pretty cool in its own right but when hooked up to a controller with midi it is an absolute beast. The sample quality is not great and the controls on it are a little hard to use at first but, again, for the price it is kind of unbeatable.

I put noamp.dll in Reaper's plugin folder, added the folder to path, rescanned, etc. but I can't get see the plugin in reaper. I kinda feel like a dumbass.

also how come when I use FL studio it just werks and I get an output right away?

If you want my opinion, synth weighted keyboards are really fucking dumb. The pressure is way too inconsistent to get good sounding notes without curving the fuck out of it, and then it doesn't even mimic the physical feel at all. Keyboards don't make sense unless they're hammer weighted. Try playing a real physical piano and you'll see what I mean.

tfw u dont remember making a 4 year old song

clyp.it/xt53o4zw

It might be like Wavelab, in that its "plugins" folder is purely for plugins that are native to the program - so if it finds a dll in there that's not a native one for the program it just ignores it.

Try creating a VSTPlugins folder and copying the dll to there instead, then pointing Reaper at that.

I started out making breakbeat and I've moved on to industrial hip hop style.

How can this 130$ digital modular synth >u-he.com/cms/bazille

be included in this €11 magazine's issue?
>musicradar.com/news/tech/computer-music-2016-synth-special-august-2016-issue-232-639315

Normally, magazine bought the licence, I got a lot of games (Stalker, Hitman series, Splinter Cell) from gaming magazines back in the day. I doubt they were making much money from an old expensive synth anyway.

Hey guys, could I get some feedback on this?

I hate clogging up threads with this, but it's the only general where people give really good comments. Just listen up to 2:15-ish...

clyp.it/yeaebmjz

I went from Hip-Hop beats to French House to Denpa to Pop. I haven't mastered one genre!

What do you guys think of the TR-8? I want to get into hardware and it seems fun but it's a bit expensive.

I listened to it and I'm not sure how it made me feel. I definitely like the progression of the song, as I wasn't sure where the hell it was going in the beginning.

Once the beat sets in, it is really good.

I need to know if this sounds annoying or if I have just listened to it too many times. Is it too "middy" sounding?

What would you do to make this sound better? Thanks.

clyp.it/t422beld

If you buy a issue of Computer music you also get a code for a big VST pack of synths and effects.

Nearly bought one but opted for a Maschine studio as it came loaded with 909 and 808 kits along with 707, 727 and 606. Seemed much more versatile to me and I haven't regretted it yet.
The TR-8 was great fun to demo and sounded great too.

clyp.it/hcbiyyvx

any poorly constructed out of tune man in?

The 707 and 727 sound packs on the TR-8 are one of the biggest rip offs I've seen. You can DL miilions of free samples that are indistinguishable from the real machines.

I like it. You should scream over the top of it and re-upload it

>it seems fun but it's a bit expensive.
Well I thought it was quite cheap really, for what it is. You basically get a 808 and a 909 for £350. You'd be looking at over £2000 to buy both of those drum machines.
I also agree that for that price you are just getting a drum machine. All drum machines are expensive for what they are. Like this user says its pretty easy to get decent drum samples from all those classic drum machines and load them into a hardware sampler and you have a drum machine, which is why I opted for the Maschine studio.

Hey guys does this sound okay? clyp.it/itcirsxl

I'd probably bring the drums out more, sometimes the snare sounds like theres a kick on it at the same time, unless there actually is. It's also a bit muddy. Those bells or xylophone noises or whatever they are you should EQ them and make those clearer

If its too expensive you could buy 2 Volca samples and load them up with 808 & 909 samples on both. if you pan the drums you could then get 4 outputs from both machines combined, plus you could fit a bunch of other classic drum kits on there and some other sounds.
If you want a cheap drum machine a Volca sample is heaps of fun and an absolute bargain

I would but I don't have a mic. I've been kinda interested in one though because you can do feedback stuff like this track.

youtube.com/watch?v=n7yOgNjkP4g

Audionews is open registration right now. It's a big torrent tracker for audio shit

It's only open for the 2nd of July. I think they're based out of russia, and it's like 3AM there right now.

Lol yeah I just registered there myself

Anyone know the technique to make the deep booming drum that is often used on freak folk/martial industrial tracks?

example: 50 seconds in
youtube.com/watch?v=nWTaSNQULHE

full gain then compress that shit up

is this out yet?

sounds great

Thanks for listening - I appreciate the feedback. I mean, it's all intended, but hopefully it makes a bit more sense in the context of the rest of the release.

You can try using an EQ on the low ends.

No, but getleaks.org has that shit

>tfw you want to work on your own stuff but you also want to listen to music

I'm in a pickle now. Some reason my ableton won't turn down with my PC volume. I was messon around with latency shit but after changing it back theableton still won't turn down with the computer volume

prod during the day and listen all night

>tfw want to also be in band but nobody takes it seriously enough to be good and you're to autistic to meet new people

:(