Anyone else get the realization that lots of Tom Petty's material is actually good?

I despise dad rock, as do most of you, I'm sure, but something weird happened to me recently. For some reason, and I don't even remember why, I starting digging into Tom Petty's discography, deep into it, and I found that there's actually some gorgeous stuff in there - both solo and with the heartbreakers. It's nothing brilliant, but the arrangements are pretty, the songs are genuine, and the compositions are engaging. He's done a lot of mediocre dad rock shit, but I now believe he's got some great shit, too.
For sampling:
youtube.com/watch?v=_wcMYmNU3f8
youtube.com/watch?v=jijAPsFRzQk
youtube.com/watch?v=9PigPb8j1y4

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ew6Cg6pUApE
scaruffi.com/vol4/petty.html
youtube.com/watch?v=LB_eHi7HcTM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yeah Tom Petty's good op

What's your option on She's the One? I though the album had some pretty gud tracks.

Refugee is still my jam

Tom had a lot of really good songs in him

His best album is still Damn the Torpedoes.

Haven't actually listened to that one yet. His discography is fairly formidable, so there's still a few I haven't gotten to.

when he's with the Heartbreakers**

You are a pleb for despising dad rock because a majority of it is good that's why it has stayed popular

I actually kind of prefer Echo, but I wouldn't disagree with you.

I don't think dad rock is objectively or inherently bad. I just think a lot of it has been rehashed so much by now that it can be hard to listen to. I don't think it's any fault of the bands/musicians.

Full Moon Fever and Wildflowers are great faggot

I agree. Wildflowers has some particularly beautiful arrangements.

"Swingin'" from the Echo album is one of those rare songs that I can listen to anytime, anywhere. "Rhino Skin" however is god-awful. Glad to see that album getting a second-look these days. It's underrated af. The behind the scenes drama alone is compelling and only makes it that much richer a listen.

youtube.com/watch?v=ew6Cg6pUApE

are you actually trying to apply meme logic to music? you know it's all a joke, right?

those aren't among the best tom petty songs

correct yourself:

scaruffi.com/vol4/petty.html

s/t and damn the torpedoes are his best albums and they're brilliant. he has several other albums which are very good as well

youtube.com/watch?v=LB_eHi7HcTM

>scaruffi
>ever

Wildflowers is a great album

are you on fucking meth?

a) this is one of their worst songs
b) on one of their worst albums
c) and they suck as a band in general

I only remember him from that one Simpsons episode.

Tom Petty is weird to me because, imo, his best songs came out super late in his career

ie Last Dance With Mary Jane and It's Good To Be King

he was already old

you like songs that an artist made late in their career?

whoa dude... super weird

duh, dip shit... assholes who hate on Tom Petty are just that...

i've known about tom petty for years now, godtier dadrock

Last Dance With Mary Jane is so good