Professional Music Producer AMA

I can't tell if this board is for actual musicians or just ironic shit-posting...

Anyway, professional music producer here -- music has been my main source of income since 2007. I mainly make rap/hip-hop, pop & EDM. I have a few major label credits but 90% of my income (pic related) comes from licensing instrumentals to up-and-coming artists. I offer some other services as well.

I'll answer any questions you might have if there's interest.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CQs6RkzNlLY
youtube.com/watch?v=mk4Wp4vMDMo
soundcloud.com/metavir/demo
youtu.be/9dLoimjaeOs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Any important """""artists""""" that have used your instrumentals?

Yes, quite a few -- especially from 2009-2013, that's where the bulk of my major placements came from. Not so much these days though.

No interest Sup Forums? This boards is just for faffs n laffs I take it?

You're not as important or relevant as you think you are. Fuck off to leddit

Try Reddit! :)

How do you structure your business? I'm a writer producer and I have survived from fees before, but now live off of publishing money.

in the music industry, producers are very relevant, and important (nice redundancy you fucking idiot)

fuck you
I guess this guy is right, we just shitpost here.

Any experience with music licensing services? Wondering which services you had the most success with.

Op two things

1. Get a trip, otherwise we don't know when you're posting

2. Sup Forums is mostly memes but some people (like me) are serious, check out the other threads (we even got a composing general) and keep posting here

Did I say I was important, asshole? I'm not here looking for praise. Just trying to share knowledge and answer questions people might have.

I get some publishing money from my earlier placements but honestly 90%+ of the guys licensing my music aren't getting publishing. They're releasing shit on YouTube/SoundCloud etc. I have a day-rate if local artists want to hire me. I also offer mixing services.

Do you have a formal education in music theory / harmony / counterpoint / form / orchestration?

how do I produce like dean blunt
youtube.com/watch?v=CQs6RkzNlLY

sample:youtube.com/watch?v=mk4Wp4vMDMo

Ok guy, serious question, hoping to get some insightful feedback:

1. How do you run your business? Just a DBA? (are you USA?) Or did you need to go full ob LLC

2. How do you get money from publishing? Are you on ASCAP or BMI?

3. Do you self publish?

4. This Cool thread OP, please do answer (also like that other user said, get a trip)

Don't kid yourself. You came in here looking for attention to reinforce the idea that you are a "professional."

How long do you spend on a track?
How much do you license it for?
How many times do you license it?

Came here to post this. Glad at least somebody ITT has their head on straight.

None. I paid for Taxi and PMP back in the day but they didn't get me any success. I got in good with a major artist and he opened a lot of doors for me. I was also able to use his name to open doors for myself by reaching out to artists and their managers. (eg. "Hey I recently produced [song] for [Artist X] -- I've attached a couple instrumentals you can check out if you're interested")

These days most people find me through search engines and social media.

Thanks!

I took music in Jr High, that's it. All self taught.

1. I am and LLC. I'm in Canada.
2. SOCAN
3. Yes. I had some publishing deals offered to me years ago but they were all garbage.

Are you clinically retarded? If I wanted attention/recognition I'd do this on social media.

What DAW do you use? Did you legit pay for it or is it still a cracked version?

Each track varies. I can hammer out trap beats in like 3 hours if I really want to. EDM stuff takes longer, probably 10-15 hours.

I offer both non-exclusive and exclusive licenses.

how much weed do you smoke?

Interesting. Does SOCAN have mechanisms for action/jurisdiction in the USA?

Also can you help a nigga out lol

Also this is how you trip:

##trip

how did you get good as a self taught?
what is the most important theory lesson that you learned?
what DAW? instruments?
top 5 albums?

what is your favorite VST to use for hip hop?

tips on mixing/mastering hip hop instrumentals?

do you have experice in mixing/mastering vocals over your beats, or is that typically handled by the artist being licensed?

FL Studio 8. I know I'm waaaaay behind on versions but it's what I know so I stick with it. I tried out FL10 at a friends and hated it.

I've got a collaborator who uses Ableton, so I've been learning that as well. I know how to use ProTools and Cubase but ehhhh. Reason is the only one that I really have no idea WTF I'm doing.

I used cracked software in the beginning, but once it became my profession I started buying the software. Not gonna lie, it sucks when I see these guys with the huge cracked VST libraries. But I'd rather do things legit.

wuut, get FL 12, my man

please answer my question: how much weed do you smoke?

personally, i would recommend FL 11. it is the last iteration of FL that has the same or at least similar workflow to FL8 9 and 10, with 12 they revamped a lot of it.

i have been updating along the years but i had to stop at 12 and stick with 11.

it will allow you to stick with your workflow, but use many more features.

doesn't take long to get up to speed and it's worth it, desu

i have used 12, when im at my friend's house making beats he has 12 and it's definitey usable, just throws me off when i hit key macros that no longer work.

A lot unfortunately. Not while writing music though, usually afterward.

Lots of grinding. When I started there were no YouTube tutorials and shit. I had to figure everything out myself. A lot of wasted hours tinkering with shit.

FL Studio 8 is what I use as a DAW. Sylenth1 is my favorite synth, Massive & Serum are dope too. SampleTank, SonikSynth and Kontakt for real instruments.

Hmm I can't name Top5 all time off the top of my head. Maybe you have genre in mind?

I use TruePianos a lot in my hip-hop tracks.

Not sure what tips I can offer. Most of the time an artist will have their own engineer who handles the vocals. I can record and mix vocals -- I learned under an engineer for a major artist for 3-4 weeks -- but I'm only so-so at it and don't really like doing it.

What features would it have that FL8 wouldn't?

Its much better at recording live instruments in, has a few new effects, just generally better.

not him, but I've been using FL since it was Fruityloops 3.5. Its always a bit of re-adjusting when a new version comes out, but always worth it. Only takes a day or 2 tops to readjust.

I find it pretty funny that you're making a living with FL 8. Kinda shows how far popular music has slipped, but hey, might as well ride that train while trap and other fairly simple to produce genres are popular.

I don't know what the difference is as I haven't used 8, but I assume 8 years (or so) of progress would be significant.

How does that show how far popular music has slipped? Who says you need the newest DAWs to produce good music? I don't use FL stock effects anyway.

yo, producer here

can you give us a link to some of your demo works plox ?

>I find it pretty funny that you're making a living with FL 8. Kinda shows how far popular music has slipped
kinda not
software does not effect composition or quality of music produced, that is up to the artist

Exactly right. I'm sure newer versions have some features for better workflow etc. But I don't feel limited by FL8 at all -- works just fine.

Good work OP

Looks like you are getting regular work in on a consistent basis.

Is that graph representative of every month? $9+k a month is a pretty good living from music production.

How long have you been doing this for? Can you post a picture of your studio pls?

OP do you have an email i can contact you at? or would you like me to post mine?

i am trying to get into the industry of lisencing instrumentals, but not necesarily just to artists (movies, companies, etc)

i'd be willing to compensate in exchange for some guidance.

Thanks m8. Yeah I'd say $8k/mo average. I had a shit year for earnings in 2014 but that was due to external factors and getting burnt out.

Been doing this since 2007. Not gonna post a pic of my studio since it could be used to find me on social media. But it's nothing special - a 61 key midi controller, Yamaha HS8's, a PC, a couple guitars and a Marshall DSL40C Amp.

post a clyp.it of some of your music
something unreleased if you want to preserve your privacy that much

>Not gonna post a pic of my studio since it could be used to find me on social media.
Fair enough, so the core of your studio is Fruity loops and ITB effects?
>Yeah I'd say $8k/mo average
I'd say that is pretty good going, for working a job (I presume) you enjoy?

I started of producing using a Atari st running Cubase a sampler, a couple of synths,some effects and a mixer years ago and ended up following the P.C based ITB route. Ive used and watched DAWs get more and more technical over the years and last year bought a Maschine and haven't gone back to a "proper" DAW since. I really like the fairly basic structure of the Maschine software and have often thought if N.I keep updating it to be more like a proper DAW I might stick to using an old version. Like the other user posted
>software does not effect composition or quality of music produced, that is up to the artist
I couldn't agree more

What effects do you use more?
How do you use them?

I might as well ask.

How do you become a producer? As in, what courses do you take, what skills should you look into acquiring (specifically)? What do labels look at when deciding whether to hire you?

not really interested in monetising my art right now but i would like to gain a bigger following... whats the best way of getting my music heard by as many people as possible?

youtube or soundcloud? should i focus on free albums consistently? or promote single tracks? do i send them to people with a bigger following? send to blogs? are music videos even viable for someone with less than 1000 followers?

Also would you care to elaborate a little when you say you got in good with a major artist. Was that pure luck as in right place at the right time or did you run in the same circles? Was/is there a big scene where you live/lived? Where you making a decent living from music production before you got in with the major artist?
I'm just curious as I live in a small town in the middle of no where and although I've been producing on and off since the late 90's purely as a hobby the only person I know that also produces has moved away...its pretty lonely here. I'm getting more and more into sound design and would love to give up my real job at some point to do a music production related job (some atmosphere sounds for some horror films or games would be pretty good)
Any advice?

Do you have some templates set up inside Fruity to maximise your workflow? How do you go about this?
Every time i get any time to get into my studio I always seem to start a new session from scratch. I feel like this is a massive hinderance on my work flow, but overtime I try and set up a template I find myself feeling restricted working from it and end up starting from scratch again!

OP can you give some tips on these instrumentals?
some example of what is a good instrumental to sell? what elements do you think sell most?

and any tips to the beginners on FL?

Yo,

What are your 5 fav producers? The ones that most influenced your work?

And if you're okay with answering this, which major artist did you work with? Just curious.

OP has left the building

he is Sup Forumstant
he will be back

I'm new to production, but I've been recording some ambient tape loops with my reel to reel and trying to mix them nicely

if anyone could listen to this and give me some feedback on how things sound it would help me a lot

soundcloud.com/metavir/demo

also general tips on recording with tape would be very helpful

>rap/hip-hop, pop & EDM
>music
Nice try Tyrone but try peddling your mixtape on a different corner tomorrow

>soundcloud.com/metavir/demo
Sounds good m80

needs more spring reverb

youtu.be/9dLoimjaeOs

thanx
yeah I haven't put any reverb on anything
need to get a good reverb pedal

I have a reverb vst called ambience but I dislike how it sounds.

are you still here?

Examples?

When importing audio to Logic it converts it (I believe to ALAC). There is a noticable difference between how the unconverted file sounds played in a music player, and how it sounds after conversion in logic. I'm not sure if the conversion is causing this, or just Logics internal audio setup

Any advice on this in general; like how to get the best sound when sampling, and anything that can be done in advance within the software ect

whats your EQ strategy for getting the kick drum and bass guitar to sit well together

bump

convolution's the way to go

This question