Soo Sup Forums what d o you think of elliott smith

?

for me he is a god

excellent pop writer and guitarist but honestly i'm not always in the mood for the "i hate my life and i want to fucking die" attitude half of his catalog sounds like

yer i get that

I never got those vibes from him but I haven't payed too strong attention to lyrics

I only care for his first two albums, but the S/T is in my top 100 for sure.

he's good I listen to him when I want to fucking kill myself

This desu, sad music is hard to appreciate when you're not sad

The self-titled is one of my favorite albums of all time. Honestly a perfect record.

Figure 8 is his happiest

Yeah, Figure 8 is the album I find listening to him the most. I think Basement on a Hill is his best one though, it's got the rough and raw feel of his earlier work but the instrumentation of his Dreamworks albums. But Kings Crossing and other songs on that album are so crushing I can't really listen to it often.

Well, these comments have definitely sold me on giving his work a listen.

XO is underrated on here, never see it talked about

Yeah, me too. I don't know how I never listened to him

absolutely amazing songwriter and guitarist.

his first three albums are some of the best singer/songwriter type records ever

Okay, Smith fans, which of his albums would you recommend giving a listen to first? Not sure whether to go with Roman Candles or s/t.

Self Titled easily. Roman Candles is decent but not great. Every album after it is amazing.

Roman Candle

Start with S/T then go back to Roman Candle. After that explore the rest of his discography.

Chronologically

either/or, honestly.

bridges the gap very well between his more sad, lo-fi, folky albums and his more upbeat, poppy albums.

If you like Speet Trials, Between the Bars, No Name No. 5, Angleles, or 2:45 AM, go backwards. If you prefer all the other tracks on the album, go forwards. If you only like Cupid's Trick, go listen to Heatmiser, his first band.

Thank you. Just finishing downloading his discography. I'll keep your advice in mind when I start listening to his work tomorrow.

He is gog