Who is your favourite contemporary country artist and why is it Sturgill Simpson

Who is your favourite contemporary country artist and why is it Sturgill Simpson

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xG3cA6oVsyk
youtube.com/watch?v=hfcmXbmcIwk
youtu.be/Wl_eNu4NUVI
youtube.com/watch?v=KsC0x-LSLNo
youtube.com/watch?v=ouWQ25O-Mcg
youtu.be/gCTvpHkQLKw
youtube.com/watch?v=XK1lQx0MGmU
youtu.be/EIEJkkGKNRg
youtu.be/2rlYPb2plaY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>inb4 Jason aldean

>implying jason holds a candle to FGL

I've got high hopes for Maren Morris.
youtube.com/watch?v=xG3cA6oVsyk

but that's pop not country, it's not even pop country, it's just pop. it's not bad, just not country, and you had me all excited for a second, there's not a lot of females in modern country who are actually country instead of pop country.

>Meet your maker overseas
>Wearin' that Kim Jong-il hat

>While your grandma is selling pills stat
>Meanwhile I'm wearing 'can't pay my fucking bills' hat

>Nobody is lookin' up to care about a drone
>All too busy lookin' down at our phone

WDHMBT?

dafuk you on about?

youtube.com/watch?v=hfcmXbmcIwk
She is.

youtu.be/Wl_eNu4NUVI

If your view of what's Country and what's not Country is that narrow then, yeah, good luck finding any new shit you'll like. The new Marn record is about as Country as the new Sturgill record btw. Maybe even moreso. Maren is Country. She was born Country. She paid her dues playing Country. Her sound could evolve into something deeper and more meaningful which is why I said that I was "hopeful." Considering that her big hit single is slightly blasphemous and getting no love on christian radio and her follow-up single has a prominent curse word (featured in the chorus no less) is a good sign of things to come for her.

youtube.com/watch?v=KsC0x-LSLNo
youtube.com/watch?v=ouWQ25O-Mcg

Its a Sturgill Simpon "lyric"

I'm gettin into alt country/american/folk, and I like a lot of it but I'm sorry man this chic is not country

jamey johnson

give her couple more albums. she's definitely one to watch. Writing and playing her own stuff. Gigging since she was a kid. I predict that it won't be long before you're eating your words. It's too bad women get ignored in Country threads here. They're where it's at. Just like the Roots movement back in the early '00's which was led by women like Dolly Parton, Gillian Welch, Alison Krauss, Emmylou Harris, Lucinda Williams, Dixie Chicks, this new "Thinking Man's Country" movement has some great women too, like Brandi Carlile up there and I'm hoping Maren joins the club. The only thing men in Country have done since the Roots movement is dumb the genre down with bro Country and Patriotic country and Hick Hop. Hell yeah I'm gravitating toward Women in the Country underground. Maggie Rose, Aubrie Sellers and Brandy Clark are doing interesting things that put anything the guys are doing to shame, probably because they're not bogged down drinking, driving and checking out chicks, they get to sing about other shit.

I followed you for the first part of your post but then you kinda went
>hearmeroar
on us

also if you haven't heard them check out shovels and rope
youtu.be/gCTvpHkQLKw

my fave right here
>woman

Yeah, women in country are definitely overlooked, but I can’t quite into Maren Morris. Like the other user said, she’s just a little too pop-oriented for me.

if you can't take the heat... the truth is the truth. also shovels and rope were my jam back in 2012. they have this punchy cover of an old rodney crowell song on their covers album that's pretty ace.

Kacey Musgraves is probably my favorite t b h

well if it's all the same, I'm going to keep my "eye" on her for all the reasons i listed above and ahem more. "my church" is the only thing i've heard on Country radio this year that didn't make me want to go on a shotting spree at the nearest Boot Barn.

Listening to Hero right now, and it’s actually coming off a little better than my first listen. Still don’t like “My Church”, but the rest of the album is at least solid.

Appreciate seeing Kacey Musgraves love, probably one of the better pop country artists around, and I think Ashley Monroe is killing it right now as well.

Yeeeesssss! I like Ashley Monroe as well.

More than anything I'm just hearing her potential. It's all ahead of her. I've only feel the same way about one other Woman Country artist this year and that's Lucinda Williams. This year she went Jazz Country and once again she's trailblazing. Her last couple albums played it safe musically but she stretched out on her new album, another 2016 must-hear in the Alt. Country genre (pic related). I hope her next album is more in this new direction.

youtube.com/watch?v=XK1lQx0MGmU

how you feel about the whiskey sisters?
youtu.be/EIEJkkGKNRg

it says that they broke up but i'm still gonna dl the album. i'll take a good country album wherever i can find one. thanks

this here isn't country but I figured the folks in this thread would enjoy what I consider an amazing collab between a rockabilly band and the lead singer for a punk band
youtu.be/2rlYPb2plaY