albums made by artists at a time where they were severely mentally ill:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KBAwf_xMGsY&list=PL59KRkOkZl3NrFN-hXQPHfzzcsle2PqCZ
youtube.com/watch?v=KCbca_QFsHM
youtube.com/watch?v=LVHpBCjUu8M
youtube.com/watch?v=KqF8_UcUQdQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Every album made by GG Allin and Wesley Willis

How the fuck was Townes mentally Ill? On drugs & alcohol, sure. But mental illness, I don't think so. Explain OP.

he was treated with insulin shock therapy when he was young for either schizophrenia or bipolar disorder, I don't remember which. this made him lose large chunks of his memory including most of his college career. this made him incapable of going to law school and he picked up music. i believe "lungs" is about this.

808's and Heartbreak

Does depression count?

asperger's isn't a severe mental illness

RAPE MEEE

Most of Daniel Johnsons discog

My question too.
This is the sound of someone who made children's music snapping and becoming a depressed bitter alcoholic. It's pretty lewd and groovy, also ahead of the curve for '78, sort of recalls stuff like John Maus
youtube.com/watch?v=KBAwf_xMGsY&list=PL59KRkOkZl3NrFN-hXQPHfzzcsle2PqCZ

And I honestly can't think of a darker album than this.
Richey Edwards went missing, presumed dead, after they finished it, and the lyrics show he was not right in the head when they made it.

anything harry liang is making/has made, but hes shit at producing anyway
hes severely mentally ill

his whole discography

youtube.com/watch?v=KCbca_QFsHM

Not really true. Richey was actually in a hospital after they recorded it, he missed out on a few tour dates and was back again. But then disappeared right before they were supposed to go on a flight to the US. Their first US tour ever.

There was some insider rumors that Richey was a rapist and used to take advantage of girls whenever the Manics were in Japan and Thailand.

under the terrible delusion that they were still relevant

Checked

Is there a story behind this album that I don't know? I know they recorded it in some random abandoned churches with a few people. But what was wrong with him while recording this?

wow so egdy

Shit's unlistenable. The lyrics are so fucking bad, anohni sounds like an angsty 15yo
Pitch drones just like it cause she's transgender

I'd let him rape me.

just clinical depression i think. dan was never crazy-type of mentally ill.

The lyrics are fucking brilliant. Just cuz they're off kilter doesn't mean they're actually insane

>disappeared right before they were supposed to go on a flight to the US
huh, sounds a lot like Joy Division

All of Elliott Smith's albums

Dude was obviously crippling depressed

kek

memes aside it's probably true though

This was recorded after he spent six months in a ward following a schizophrenic attack on his band mates with a fire axe.

I remember that now. But do you think that could really count as a mental illness?

somewhat can't believe this hasn't been posted yet

I think Townes was manic depressive cause he got the therapy due to his alcoholism at a young age and it just fucked him up more from then on

story behind this? I really like the album, listened to it for the first time last night

Was Brian fucked up then? I thought during the Smile sessions was when his illness began to show

do gay people count as mentally ill?

I was about to ask the same thing

don't think he was fucked up during Pet Sounds iirc

not much details but basically his girlfriend cheated on him and he snapped and tried to kill himself
it didn't work and then he wrote the album in his basement where he used to cut himself and write things on the wall in blood
he used steroids and coke and in general was just a terrifying hulking manbeast, though he chilled out later

damn he's really hot, great body

RIP Peter, you crazy son of a bitch

You should see his cock

I want to t b h

Search Peter Steel playgirl ;)

truly the GOAT husbando

that's a really, really good cock
tfw real white men are a dying breed

well i guess this a peteposting thread now

Huh, I haven't heard of those rumors before, then again I'm not that big of a Manics fan. Could you link an article or whatever that talks about it? Seems interesting.

wew lad

peter's peter makes my peter steele

kek

I bet peter is really not fun to do coke with at all

not user but I've read those accusations before in a shitty fan website filled with anecdotes from groupies and wannabe groupies.

if you were gay it would be

probably not since death and depression were his primary reasons for doing it

>she's

Brian had a nervous breakdown mid tour in 1964, that's when the cracks started to show. But it wasn't until the sessions for Smile that it all came crumbling down

r u srs

actually are you fucking stupid?

r u srs

r u srs

r u srs

r u srs

r u srs

Yeah he sounded perfectly fine on the session tapes I've heard from it. The man was completely in his element. It's honestly pretty stunning to hear him direct the session musicians so well. He had a brilliant ear for what worked and what didn't.

It was with smile where he began to break down totally.

Yes.

Isn't she bipolar? I think all of her albums would count, then.

Yeah, she is.

However, while making that album in particular, she had a stint in a mental ward. Iirc, she was giving herself until it was done to get better or she was gonna kill herself.

nah, he was just high as shit

Why? how?

youtube.com/watch?v=LVHpBCjUu8M
youtube.com/watch?v=KqF8_UcUQdQ

was hoping someone would post this, thank you

Okay
This one then.

you're completely right

As much as I love Smile, it's a lot less cohesive than Pet Sounds is. I've listened to both the smile and pet sounds box sets, and with ps he clearly had everything already planned in his head, as there are few alternate versions of songs with the exception of "Hang on to Your Ego". With Smile, there aren't only tons of alternate versions of songs, but it seems like he completely changed the order of the tracks every week, and many of the songs ended up being melded together

bottom line is even though smile is great you could tell he was pretty far out of it just by the way the album was being made

4st 7lbs hits me so hard. I can't always listen to it t b h, it's really triggering
>inb4 triggrd meme

OP here,

Townes was manically depressed, plus addiction counts as mental illness. Sure, he wasn't on Daniel Johnston level or anything, but I just posted this as this seemed to encapsulate his depressive episodes perfectly.

I can see why you'd think he wouldn't count as "severely" mentally ill, tho.

>With Smile, there aren't only tons of alternate versions of songs, but it seems like he completely changed the order of the tracks every week, and many of the songs ended up being melded together

So Smile was Brian's TLOP?

He really wasn't good imo just gave great inspiration and perspective to the band. I don't get how anyone enjoys SB Floyd.

>Not liking Interstellar Overdrive or Astronomy Domine

Jeez, Syd's pretty great, definitely a more exciting guitarist than Gilmour (not knocking him or anything) they were a totally different band with him, I really wish they'd made more albums with him, It's like if Jim Morrison left the Doors after album one.

>definitely a more exciting guitarist than Gilmour

I'll give you that but I don't think the band would have made it with him and the direction he was taking them and they most certainly would't be as renowned as they are. I guess to me he was a necessity to the band and their overall sound but if he would have stuck around I truly believe they would be all but forgotten.

Tranny here, it's not normal to wanna cut off your genitalia. SJWs want to make it out as some kind of alternative self expression, but it's really just about feeling like shit and getting help from both doctors and psychologists.

But he gave them the success to begin with. They were able to wank around in the studio for 5 years based on their initial success playing his songs. It took them a few albums to really find a coherent voice again after his departure. I thought the problems with the "direction he was taking them" was that he was losing his mind. It's really unfortunate that they abandoned him and sneakily replaced him with his friend in stead of sticking it out with him and helping him get back on his feet.

>definitely a more exciting guitarist than Gilmour

That's just silly.

You're right. No Syd no Floyd and he did get them (and kept them) off the ground that whole time. I wouldn't say they really sneaked Gilmour. He was not only mentally ill and LSD out of his head but he knew he was being covered by him and if the band kept working with him there is a good chance they wouldn't have made it.

Exciting is the key word imo and he also had a lot of time to develop.

> nobody posts this

Man, you guys are slipping, this album was literally created as part of his therapy

how has this not been posted yet

GOAT

Holy shit