Reminder that if you play a bass and "can play a bit of guitar" or "I tried the guitar but It wasnt my thing" it just...

Reminder that if you play a bass and "can play a bit of guitar" or "I tried the guitar but It wasnt my thing" it just means that you're a loser who failed at guitars and so decided to pick up an instrument that is very similar but in which you generally dont have to play more than 1 fret at once and which can be played at a very slow speed.

The electric bass is, quite literally, an instrument for losers. Prove me wrong.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=SPwoas0Wz3c
m.youtube.com/watch?v=mL3Q8GNSKi4
m.youtube.com/watch?v=P6N5o8d3sSw
m.youtube.com/watch?v=bHAlP5GK3cc
m.youtube.com/watch?v=nEpQZeispQY
m.youtube.com/watch?v=6oiZaWXLZrI
m.youtube.com/watch?v=R_9WSnnBmS0
m.youtube.com/watch?v=1wKuGPdvlRk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

"ok"

Cuz without it music would sound empty.

Reminder that if your main instrument is guitar and you say that you can "play the bass", you're fucking lying.

Learning guitar first and then learning bass was such a great choice. You start with the more difficult, more versatile, more disciplined, and more attractive instrument, then it takes like 2 weeks to be able to play bass on the same level as someone who has been playing it for over a year. There is no excuse for knowing bass but not guitar.

Reminder that you got cucked by a bass player once and now you have to complain to a board for music discussion about it.

He did get a lot of work outta those two fingers though.

>cucked by a bass player
Things that literally never happen

friend of mine was the bassist of his band and he's one of the biggest chads I know.

??????????

Learned both simultaneously. My family all are guitarists but there's more work to be had as a bassist.

I can't take a piss in my own bathroom without running into 2 "guitar shredders" that want to start a band.

Oh look its le "bass is ultraduper important for music xdd" meme.

I dont know if theres any, but you should look for famous song edits without bass. It wont change a thing, the sound of a bass is 100% obscured in most cases by every other instrument. Unless of course its a song/genre with a focus on bass.

Bullshit, I've played guitar for 6 years and when I was about 1 year in I took my friend's bass and in 3 days I was already doing everything he could do. The only tricky part for me was switching from plucking with the thumb and index to the index and middle finger.

The hierarchy of sexual interest over instruments

Highest

Guitar
Drums
Saxophone
"orchestral" instruments like Violin or Cello
"exotic" instruments like harmonica
Bass
Piano

Nobody gets pussy playing an instrument anymore, grandpa. Only rappers and DJs get any.

Uh I started with bass and havent touched a guitar in 5 years. (been playing 6 years).

Play five instruments; can confirm.

>piano
>the lowest

I agree. Bass is a pretty useless instrument in most bands, and in most cases its purpose is either putting a hot chick in your lineup, letting your buddy play, giving the dude with good fashion sense a place on stage a la Sid Vicious, or just letting some dude you feel sorry for have a place to have fun.

If you're in a funk, dub, or post-punk act you're cool though

failures, maybe not; failed guitarists, yes, usually. there are some sweet bass players.

the bassist in my band was my shit-tier guitarist friend that picked up the bass so that we could have a bassist, tho.

It depends. If you're a good guitar player. You can most likely play most all the bass parts in rock or pop songs quite easily. Only certain genres require virtuoso skill on the bass.

But this cute gay Chinese guy I know plays piano and I want to fuck him while he's bent over on a baby grand

Too bad he totally doesn't like me back

Then you're an exception because OP is clearly talking about bassists who tried guitar and moved on to bass

I've played piano for 5 years and I've never gotten a single girl because of it.

In most genres, a bass player is like when you, as a kid, would give your younger brother an unplugged controller while you played ps2. Its just something to give people an illusion of being useful.

Most genres except you know,
>Funk
>Dub
>Hardcore Punk and Post-Hardcore
>Post-Punk
>Gothic Rock
>Deathrock
>Reggea
>RnB
>Alternative Rock
>Noise Rock
>Doowop
>Metal
>Experimental
>New Age
>Jazz
>Blues
>Samba
>Salsa
>latin music in general
>Cold Wave
>No Wave

You probably suck as a bass player
>Dat shit tone from plucking the string like a pussy
>Not even changing the nuances of the tone by plucking at different positions of the bridge at different angles
>Playing too much shit, back up bitch and have better taste and judgement
>Dat poor timing, not even locked with the drummer, stop swinging back and forth the beat, that inconsistency, you are probably a guitarist.

>It won't change a thing, the sound of the bass is 100% obscured
Dude, you literally know nothing about music if you really believe that's true for most kinds of music. Apart from the obvious rhythmic importance the bass has a FUNDAMENTAL effect on the perception of harmonic progressions. A popular song without the bass is in most cases actually guaranteed to sound tremendously different.

Singers and front man are first.

You are literally dumb as shit. Guitar is not even necesary in plenty of genres like pop or jazz, it can be filled that role by a piano, keys or whataver play chords. Bass is needed on all genres. When the bass is sloppy the music sounds like shit. When there is no bass, there is no power in music.

>Won't change a thing
m.youtube.com/watch?v=SPwoas0Wz3c

m.youtube.com/watch?v=mL3Q8GNSKi4

m.youtube.com/watch?v=P6N5o8d3sSw

m.youtube.com/watch?v=bHAlP5GK3cc

How about you don't listen to shitty metal bands where bassists are just talentless guitarists.

>more work to be had as a bassist
This.

Just got approached to fill in for a gig yesterday. Feels good, man.

Also, I play both guitar and bass, and have played both consistently for the past 13 years. Though again, people find out you play bass and aren't shit and that's all they want you to do.
Haven't gotten any complaints on my guitar work either now that I think about it. ;)

>Funk

Agree

>Dub

Nope, bass guitars aren't a major thing here.

>Hardcore Punk and Post-Hardcore

Absolutely fucking not, distorted guitars, explosive drums and guturals/screaming vocals completely mask the sounds of bass.

>Post-Punk

Same as above.

>Gothic Rock

Same as above

>Deathrock

Bass can be largely ignored

>Reggea

Agree

>RnB

Agree

>Alternative Rock

Only on some very specific songs

>Noise Rock

Para nada

>Doowop

What the fuck is this

>Metal

Definitely not, go listen to any major metal band and tell me if you can distinguish the bass anywhere

>Experimental

nope

>New Age

Only in specific songs

>Jazz

Agree

>Blues

Agree
>Samba

Para nada

>Salsa

Para nada

>latin music in general

Piano and trumpets are much more prominent in latin music, im latino, the bass guitar is barely used in latin music.

>This is what bassists actually believe.

I've played on several bands without bassists and we all managed to overcome the lack of a bass. It can be *useful* but its not required. Also its one thing to be important for the band and another one to be perceived by the public.

I'm sure every single band would suck without a knowledgeable sound engineer at the main mixer, but you dont see the guy's name being listed at the band repertory.

Reminder that if you actually think this, your a retard.

>doesnt even know what doowop is
jesus christ embarrassing

>Completely mask the sound of bass
Hardcore: m.youtube.com/watch?v=nEpQZeispQY

Post-Punk: m.youtube.com/watch?v=6oiZaWXLZrI

Gothic Rock: m.youtube.com/watch?v=R_9WSnnBmS0

Deathrock: "can be largely ignored" pretty sure it drives this one, hard to ignore. m.youtube.com/watch?v=1wKuGPdvlRk

>Doesn't know what doowop is
>Doesn't Metallica or Sabath

What a coincidence, I'm a latino too, only I hear plenty of bass. Bottom line: you don't pay attention or you're on the, "you can't hear any bass" bandwagon. Either way you're a faggot.

thank you
>bass guitar and bass-heavy amps not the entire fucking point behind dub drum and bass riddim

So true it hurts

You have no fucking idea of music. Bass adds weight and rhythm to the overall composition of most genres.

You should get your ears checked