Post not what you think is the greatest album of time, but what album MEANS the most to you. Think about this one...

Post not what you think is the greatest album of time, but what album MEANS the most to you. Think about this one. Throw away trying to seem cool for Sup Forums, there are no right answers.

Pic related

What makes this album special to you?

I think it sparked my love for music and theatrics, and was the soundtrack to some of the most important hours of my life. It's also a very good album, IMO.

Awesome! I should really get into Bowie, something I've been meaning to do since I got into music a few years ago

He's a great artist! My 5 favourite albums by him are, in no particular order:
Station to Station
Diamond Dogs
''Heroes''
Low
Blackstar

Thanks man, I listened to Blackstar earlier this year cause of all the hype and I enjoyed it a lot. Finally gonna dedicate some time this morning to getting through at least SOME of his discography

IU is special to me since it's very toutchy to Kurt's views on rape, how he was portrayed in media, and even a book by Patrick Suskind. I could go on describing this album for hours but that's the best way I can put it.

I've never listened to it in full, what were Kurt's views on rape that speak to you??

Always and forever.

No problem! I hope you enjoy!

Agreed man, specifically for me, the last verse of the title song. I think it garnered some religious experience in me and kind of gave me the mindset I currently have today, ya know?

This was the first album that I actually chose to listen to on my own. Before this in like the 6th grade I really just listened to whatever my parents put on or just put on a radio station or something. But this really started my journey to finding my own taste.

That's cool man, I feel like albums like that will always have a special place in your heart. The album like that for me is American Idiot, so no matter how I feel about it now I can always enjoy it. At least you have a pretty respect first album!

No other album gives me butterflies in my stomach like this one.

Good stuff man! What's the genre?

Something about walking around Houston in unbearable heat while listening to this that became a major turning point in my post-college life. Sort of like burying the hatchet of past problems and gaining a clear and steady outlook on the future. I felt so overwhelmed when I finished my first listen that for the first time in my entire life I felt like I needed to go to church or something. Strange feeling.

That's awesome that an album can have that kind of impact on a person! Are you in a stable place in life now?

Ambient pop maybe?

Yes. I have never been this satisfied with my life situation before.

god what an awful choice. a fucking nujabes album. of all the music you could choose. what utter shit

That's awesome man, good to hear

Not OP, but please don't crap up the thread.

I don't have a favorite album because I'm not a child. I see the worth in every album.

Doesn't matter man, I like what I like, and it makes me happy. Wanna share your album?

I'm gonna do what your image tells me to do

Saved me from a year of depression

Dunno

Maybe just right place right time. Got me into a whole lot of other stuff. Just one of those albums that never get old for me.

That's fine man, but can you remember an album that gave you a really strong emotional impact? Stronger than any others?

The release of this album coincided with a really tough part of my life, suffering with depression when I was 16/17, it's meant an awful lot to me ever since (though it's very bittersweet as it reminds me of that period). Listened to it constantly for a long time, Laura Marling probably isn't mu approved, but I love her.

That's awesome man. It can be really easy to get into a routine of that, and soon enough it becomes a sickness. It's so cool that something like music can alter your life so much

This isn't about your favourite album. I just posted Alas I Cannot Swim - it isn't my "favourite" album, but it means an awful lot to me.

Who cares about mu approved man? Being a teenager can coincide with some fucked up outside shit going on in your life, and it's great that this album helped you with it and stuck with you ever since!

oh god stop talking about yourself

nujabes is such soulless hacky shit. they have never expressed a cogent thought in any of their lyrics. it's muzak which considers itself very cool

I'm actually trying really hard to talk about other people in this thread.

Sure there's 100% more soulful less-hacky things out there, but Metaphorical Music is what means the most to me so what's wrong with that?

What album means the most to you?

rolling

Back to December is a good song man. Never been the biggest T Swift fan but hey that's good!

>but Metaphorical Music is what means the most to me so what's wrong with that?

i just told you what's wrong with that

you're like one of those guys that states his incredibly ignorant view on politics or religion and then says "well that's just how i feel" 100 times. opinions aren't inherently valid

Yeah, I don't care about it being Sup Forums approved, didn't mean it to come across like that, was just saying that many will disagree with me about Laura Marling. It obviously wouldn't change my mind about her music.

come on dubs

Not the OP but Jesus, calm down mate. The thread is about albums that mean a lot to you, the OP wasn't saying that it's an amazing album. You can't tell someone they're wrong about what means a lot to them, it's like telling someone they aren't feeling a certain emotion.

The Beatles as a whole. There's a song for everything , I can just put on an album and get a wash of great music, lyricism, emotion and more. It doesn't get old

>caring about lyrics on a nujabes album
>not just appreciating the beauty of the instrumentals

also, he's a producer, not a band, numnuts. i don't even like nujabes that much you're just being a huge dick.

Except that's a completely strange comparison because music is entirely to be enjoyed by the individual?

You can make right or wrong decisions in politics that negatively or positively effect people's lives. Like if they get enough food to feed their families.

Religions can sway people to do terrible things, and organized religions have so much power in the world it's scary. I'm not saying I'm not religious, but even I can see the dangers.

How can music even be compared to the gravity of fucking with something like politics or religion? What if I said my favourite album was Rebecca Black? Are people's QOL truly going to be hurt?

Get the fuck out of my thread you idiot. Nobody invited you. Just like nobody invited you to play when you were a child

This album had a huge impact on my personal development, and also on broadening my musical horizons a bit. I'd have to think a bit to find an album that had the biggest impact on my music taste, but it was probably branching off from The Fall of Troy to bands like Don Cab.

I agree with that. I was hanging out with a girl a couple nights ago and she put on Across the Universe. Such a weird but amazing variety of music that can really be attributed to so many different emotions

Guess the Album

This album is a 7.5/10 for me, but it perhaps represents the turning point for me in music.

Back when I was 15, and trying to find a replacement for Nirvana, who I'd spent the last 2 years listening to death, I saw this recommended to me.
I bought it, and listened to it as I went on holiday. It was nowhere near catchy enough to me, the whole verse-chorus structure was skewed and I hated Kim Gordon's voice. The album seemed far to intimidating to sit through all the way and the noisiness was too much, even for someone who enjoyed "hairspray queen"

Then 2 years later I would see it around more and more, and try it again. This album combined with White Light/White Heat ignited my love for noise rock.

Where other albums like Kid A, The Sophtware Slump, Image du Futur, Meat is Murder, Tallahassee, may have had more of a shift on my music taste, Daydream Nation represents the biggest shift in musical appreciation before and after my tastes changed

did i say they were a band? learn to read pleb

Cool man. No matter what, I think broadening musical horizons is extremely important for people. I don't think I'd be who I am today if all I listened to was Foo Fighters or something like that ya know? It's good to have an open mind

Why doesn't anyone ever tell me who that chick is?

>THEY have never expressed a cogent thought in any of THEIR lyrics

"They"

i love taylor swift
makes me think of all my lost loves :^(

This.

And pic related

I Knew You Were Trouble might be one of my top 10 songs of all time. Can't listen to it though because it reminds me of my first girlfriend.

Not that guy but he probably meant Nujabes and the guest rappers

That is probably what he means. Even their most poppy song, Lady Brown, the ending is so impactful to me.

So as we lay, I reminisce on the day that we met
Please, God, never let me forget

Who here has never felt that before?

This album helped me a lot with issues of self-image.

While I don't feel any envy for taller people, as a male that's 5'6" I can pretty readily say taller males with a certain build (ie, not lanky or wirey) are typically seen as more attractive. It's much the same as how you might see a woman who's got the breasts, the hips, the waist, etc as "attractive" in a more detached social sense, but not really care much emotionally or even sexually. At least that's ow it appears.

It's more common in shorter, smaller women. Taller women, or women that a larger physique (not fat nor even chubby, genuinely having a more substantial body type on a musculoskeletal level) tend to care much less.

The internet affords the planting of toxic seeds in a person's psyche. All of a sudden unsubstantial things that are actually controllable to a degree shift in a person's mind to some strange pillar of insecurity. Not worth the time.

yeah, long live brings back memories of when i took my girlfriend on roadtrip adventures back in college.

she makes nice songs to listen to when you're falling in love (or out of love, depending on the song), it's too bad it gets labeled as popshit for teenage girls

>So as we lay, I reminisce on the day that we met
>Please, God, never let me forget
>Who here has never felt that before?

well it's extremely obvious and boring. there's really nothing to it. and i don't even think it's true really. if a moment is so special that you wish to never forget it... then wouldn't it naturally stay with you?

if you're just forgetting it then i imagine it didn't mean that much to you

basic, basic lyrics

That's really interesting actually. I'm a taller guy myself but I've always been very very lanky, with incredibly skinny legs. I've always had problems dealing with it and always conscious of how I should be standing or whatever. It's all about accepting and making the best of a situation, like dressing for your style. An example being not wearing shorts

Is this a pasta? I'm pretty sure I've seen this word by word before
Weird

>tfw the only memories I have with music are listening to it alone in my room

you can still associate music you listened to with other events that happened in that time period

I'm not saying it's NOT basic. I'm saying it's relatable and impactful.

Have you never been hanging out with a girl (or guy, idk you), and just thought to yourself that you never want to leave that moment? It's like that one Joanna Newsom song "The Things I Say", when she says...

"Do you think of the girl who used to dance
When you'd frame her moving within your hands
Saying 'This I won't forget'"

But you never fully retain that memory. I know for a fact that looking back on past relationships, I've forgotten so many small details that I promised myself I would always remember. You won't, but in the moment, you wish to anything that you'll remember it forever

I was getting sober when I first really started getting into this album. It took me a long time to get where I'm at today, but the essence of the album and just the overall happiness of it has stuck with me ever since.

Mind you, it's still difficult to stay clean, but when I revisit this album, it reminds me of the harder and darker times I went through that are now long in the past, and I feel much happier than ever before.

forget the pic

forgot pic

That's cool man! I feel like Wildflower will help a new generation through similar hardships as well.

that's dumb as fuck dude. and don't bring poor joanna into this

that's your own pathetic nostalgia. i don't see what it has to do with those lyrics at all. they're the most basic lyrics ever. they don't express shit

i vividly remember a girl in 7th grade presenting a poem that was far more sophisticated and interesting. and that didn't mean shit to me. if you're forgetting things that were so wonderful then maybe your memory is just shit

or, like i said, maybe the moments weren't that great in the first place. they would have stuck with you if they were

Agreed! I was ecstatic when it came out, feels so nostalgic and exciting

I don't even know why I'm replying to you. We clearly view things differently

bradley was a fucking legend. this album helped me get through a lot of dark years after my brother got himself killed. he was riding a lawnmower with his friends out in the desert and he drove off a cliff. he was high and drunk supposedly

miss him every day. sublime was his favorite band so they kind of became my favorite band after he died. i think that ska is an extremely underrated genre and i am carrying on the torch

U2 has always been my dad's favorite band, but he rarely listens to music. We moved around a ton when I was young, never in one place more than a year. I really disassociated with any real sense of home or place or belonging, I've always felt distant and a bit of an outcast. I've never been able to connect with any real social groups even in church settings where I was bullied a lot. I never felt like there was a place I could call home, or feel truly myself in. Even from a young age I had an intense sense of yearning for a home I never knew and never had. My whole life has almost felt like a journey to find a place I can call my own, and even now out of college and making it on my own, I still haven't quite found what I'm looking for (pun completely unintended but I'll just leave that because I'm a faggot).

The first time I heard this album, we were living in a small border town in New Mexico and were moving to Arkansas because of family. We set out at 3am and I must have been about 7. Right as the sun started to rise my dad played Joshua Tree and I watched yet another home fade away behind me, and the spectacular sight of the desert stretch out before me in every direction. Never before nor since have I ever felt like an album has fit a mood or scenery so perfectly. The album's lyrics were written largely about the band's spiritual journey through the southwest of the US, without answers and without a destination. That's how I felt at the time and it's how I feel now.

Through my life it's stuck with me and taken on other meanings as well. I've long suffered from depression and anxiety, even some addictions though never to anything like hardcore drugs. But still addictions that damaged me and those around me. Running to Stand Still, originally about heroin addiction in Dublin, really speaks to me on a personal level because I've been through such dire situations before. The lines
>I see seven towers / But I only see one way out
even though they're about an actual place in Dublin, the religious connotation always stuck with me due to my religious upbringing as a youth minister's son, and it doubles as a solid reference to Revelations as well. I've been suicidal many times in my life, I have two failed attempts. That song has always spoken to me because a lot of its imagery evokes corresponding memories or feelings I've gone through or still struggle with.

The rest of the album is similar for me but that song in particular is my favorite song of all time as a result due to the personal nature. Also my dad named me Joshua because it was his favorite album at the time I was born, so it's quite a big part of my life. I took him to see them in Nashville in 2011 as a father/son bonding sort of thing and it was really wonderful. I know Bono can be a preachy douche at times but U2 really does hold a special place in my heart, and especially this album. The overall sense of longing, a spiritual journey without resolution and anticlimax, the lack of answers in life, and the morose melancholy of that experience really hits close to home due to my own religious background, beliefs, experiences, and that one particular morning drive through the desert at dawn.

That's a really sad story man. It's always sad about hearing things like this. I know Streetlight Manifesto is looked down on on this board but I try to show a lot of people them, and generally everyone likes it because of the upbeat nature of the music and lyrics. Ska is cool

That was a really nice story to read man. I have to admit I've never been the biggest U2 fan myself, but maybe I haven't given them enough of a try, I will make it a point now to listen to The Joshua Tree now.

Are you in a better place now that you've grown up a little bit? At least found stability?

dude i'm so sorry about you and your dad liking U2

I know what you guys are gonna say, hur dur, normie waifuposter.
But when i started listening to this album, it was when depression hit me really hard, a friend of mine betrayed me, another one died, all the others left because life, and the worst of it all, my mother was diagnosed with cancer (Thank God she survived, but she suffered a lot and it broke me see her that way, and be unable to help her much at all), now, all of this wans't all in the same year, but i was left isolated because we had no classes at the time, so i had a lot of time to chew and chew and chew all of this crap happening in my life, i used to listen to other depressive shit that only helped to keep me down, then i remembered, i like normie pop, so i thought, "hey, there is this artist I've been meaning to check out", so i got her second and third LP and was surprised by how positive her lyrics were, even though they weren't a big deal, and when i moved to EMOTION, i was surprised about how she had evolved her music.
Songs like "Making the most of the night" spoke to me, i felt like i had someone, wanting for me to get up, live life. It really helped me, then after a while I was able to accept at lot of what happened to me. I'm still not able to accept i'll have to deal with depression my whole life, but her songs helped me a lot, so i really love this album.
Now, i'm gonna check your guys posts, swim trough feels and look for some new stuff i can listen to. :)

>Are you in a better place now that you've grown up a little bit? At least found stability?
Not a chance. I'm not the worst I've ever been but I've slipped straight back into a deep depression and it's really affecting my relationships and health. Actually my health is totally fucked, I recently had my third heart surgery to fix a congenital heart defect and before surgery I was probably at the happiest I'd been in a decade. I had someone to live for, I had big plans. Shortly after surgery all that was ruined and I'm left with nothing now but memories, regrets, and horrible chest pains from where they cracked my ribs open once again. Can't even work or pay medical bills. Anxiety is acting up too. I'm just in a bad place, I've never exactly been in a good place but now I'm really not doing so well.
Definitely not the worst thing that's ever happened in my life so don't feel bad user.

Some great stories in here
My life has been empty and straightforward since the day I was born and while I have a deep connection with music as a medium I've never had a special connection to an album itself

Op is a nice guy :)

Sometimes all you need is some optimistic music to get you through! I know a lot of people hear listen to depressing music like Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space when they're depressed, but I think it's really important to listen to music that represents the mindset YOU want to BE in!

pretty sure people who listen to carly rae jepsen DON'T KNOW WHAT REAL PAIN IS

Give me those dubs, baby.

This, just fucking pump and blast the blues away. Stop being whining faggots.

That actually brings some tears to my cheeks man. Is the country you live in bad for supporting people with medical disability? Cause maybe you can apply for that?

Yes, exactly!
kek

Dude, these stories are fucking trash. A single post on /r9k/ contains more tragedy and entertainment than this entire thread.

I guarantee you could come up with one just as good.

I appreciate that! I'm gonna be posting on this board more now, I've just been lurking for around a year. Before posting this I was ready to leave, because of the overwhelming negativity and pessimism. This has kind of shown me that everyone here are just people, who appreciate kindness

These stories are people's actual lives man. Who gives a fuck if they're more entertaining on a board full of NEETs?

Without this album, I would have never told anyone about my mental illness and just suffered through it. Wilson's story profoundly affected me, and his musical talents and genius inspire me.

That's really important man. Inspirations are everywhere and it's only a matter of time before they're found.

yes

I'm not praising anons' abilities to write fake stories here famalam

I'm pretty sure a lot of these stories are real
And if they aren't, a man can pretend

what a contradiction

you don't care about the lives of poor neets but you get weepy over this stuff?

c u c k
u
c
k