Do you listen to any of the stuff your parents listened to?

Do you listen to any of the stuff your parents listened to?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NYx8IHJ9dWE
youtube.com/watch?v=FRLHro9EPD0
youtube.com/watch?v=zXdLtQjnJtE
youtube.com/watch?v=B0XreQklF_w
youtube.com/watch?v=p24OMHgxj2U
youtube.com/watch?v=m-b76yiqO1E
youtu.be/QKfECnQZZEE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

A lot actually.

Well, do tell, user.

My appreciation for music practically started with my dad's collection. He has a wide-ranging taste ranging from the 60s to the 2000s and when I got my first music player of my own I downloaded his library.

Can, Faust, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Nick Drake, the list goes on

I listened to the dead and neil young alot when i was a teenager from my moms collection. Dad got me into the talking heads and roxy music. They have decent taste for 60 year olds.

Neil Young, America, Badfinger, Johnny Cash, Tom Petty, Led Zeppelin, Steve Miller Band, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Pink Floyd, Hank Jr, Hank Sr, David Allan Coe... etc..

My dad is crazy as fuck and listens to avantgarde. I remember growing up listening to trout mask replica with my dad

s-son?

The Beatles
Pixies
Violent Femmes
The Ramones
The Cure
Nirvana
David Bowie
Nine Inch Nails
Dinosaur Jr
The White Stripes
The Smashing Pumpkins
Mr Bungle
Rush
The Dead Milkmen
Sonic Youth

The list goes on...

same

America is amazing

My mom liked Prince, but that's about it. Dad's into southern rock and dad rock. I don't hate dad rock, but I don't go out of my way to listen to it.

OP here. Was re-listening to Van Morrison and thinking about my mom, that's what got me to make this thread.

My parents, inexplicably, had Pearl Jam, Radiohead, Ani DiFranco, Björk, and Smashing Pumpkins in their record collection—all of which I listen to but have never heard them pay any attention to.

Others:

Steve Earle, Kate Bush, the Pogues, the Clash, The Band, the three good albums that Midnight Oil put out, Jimmy Cliff, Aimee Mann, Randy Newman, Lou Reed, Talking Heads, (early) U2, Flaming Lips, Emmylou Harris, Elvis Costello, David Bowie.

Are your parents really young or just really cool?

Blind Faith, Muddy Waters, Emerson, Lake, & Palmer, Howlin' Wolf, The Chieftans, Bob Marley, Fleetwood Mac, David Crosby, John Prine, Zep, Doobie Brothers, Joni Mitchell, Melanie Safka, Carol King, Pink Floyd, Aretha Franklin, Billie Holiday

My mom was a beach boys fan

It's a shame because I can't fucking stand them now.

My dad's thing for Tangerine Dream and Brian Eno made me an ambient fag

My parents don't really listen to this though. But it's literally the only modicum of similarity we share in musical taste.

my moms super into Elliott Smith and Pixies and Talking Heads and thats some of my favorite music for sure. my dad is weirdly into industrial and metal? i do not like that so much

The bands he introduced me to are:
>The Beatles
>The cure
>The birthday party (or nick cave in general)
>A lot of other punk/post punk bands I can't remember right now
>I'm pretty sure he showed me the Jesus lizard as well.
He had somehow never heard of pixies or the velvet underground and he likes those bands a lot now

I hated the cure when I was younger but there is a certain beauty to their music I did not pick up on before.

I appreciate Al Stewart and other '70s singer-songwriters now.

yeah I listen to alice in chains and sublime sometimes

absolutely. my dad has good taste sometimes. my mom not so much but i still listen to some of that shit too

My dad is based he likes meat puppets, mudhoney, dwarves, beastie boys (only Paul's boutique), geto boys, mgmt (only congratulations), ministry, all kinds of shit. I owe a large portion of my taste to him besides death grips he doesn't like them at all besides a few songs on government plates

Your dad is totally dadcore

The Beatles
Led Zeppelin
Fleetwood Mac
Pink Floyd
CCR
Steely Dan
Charles Mingus
Metallica

Bowie
Jethro Tull
Cat Stevens
Dr. John
Patti Smith
Nick Cave
Tom Waits
Parliament
Sly and the Family Stone
Muddy Waters
Charlie Musselwhite

yeah they all right

Springsteen

That's a great record

They're in their 40s. My mom just listens worship music.

Never thought I'd see that album posted on Sup Forums

My father listened to prog, jazz and jazz fusion and I'm thankful that he got me into those genres. I started out slow though, with ACDC, Deep Purple, etc. but I'm discovering more bands I haven't listened to.

Mom and I both like Tom Waits, Pink Floyd, Rush

Dad and I don't mesh on a lot (except Rush again)

I've been pretty good at introducing my mom to modern stuff, though. She's more open than I expected.

My mom is like this plus a lot of dad rock. She listened to Joanna Newsom 7 years before I knew who that was.

My dad has had absolutely no influence. I think his favorite band is Midnight Oil.

Abba, Men at Work, Gipsy Kings, Hector Lavoe

youtube.com/watch?v=NYx8IHJ9dWE
youtube.com/watch?v=FRLHro9EPD0
youtube.com/watch?v=zXdLtQjnJtE
youtube.com/watch?v=B0XreQklF_w
youtube.com/watch?v=p24OMHgxj2U

All these songs remind me of driving around with my mom

My dad was a piece of shit abusive alcoholic, but I have to admit he had good taste, Kraftwerk, R.E.M., the B-52s, Talking Heads, Frank Zappa, all tons of good shit, he grew up in Athens around the time of the alt. rock/new wave boom, and even partied with R.E.M (or so he says, the dude's high most of the time, so who fucking knows)
My mom has pretty shitty taste though, her favorite band is Matchbox Twenty

Yes, stuff like The Beatles, King Crimson, Tom Waits and Talking Heads. My whole family is pretty into music and still share stuff, I got my Mom into Sufjan Stevens and LCD Soundsystem, and my Dad fell in love with Built to Spill when I took him to one of their concerts.

Mostly my father, he is a fan of most any type of rock. Mostly 90's alternative and grunge.

My dad likes a lot of cool Texas country like Guy Clark, Townes Van Zandt and Jerry Jeff Walker, as well as a lot of Traditional country like Hank Williams, Merle and Marty Robbins. Likes Bill Monroe and Earl Scruggs. Likes Bob Dylan. Though I haven't heard him listen to it much he seems to know a lot about rockabilly and got me interested in it at a young age. Other than that he listens to absolute shit dadrock. He liked the Pogues when i let him listen though.

My mom listens to gimmicky BS and contemporary Christian
my great-grandmother likes Hank Williams, Billie Holiday and their ilk. I have similar taste to her kinda.
Overall, kinda. Sometimes. Both my parents have a searing hate for punk though, which really sets them and I apart.

my mom loved Todd Rundgren, James Taylor, Cat Stevens

I hated that stuff when i was younger (was in AIC, Smashing Pumpkins etc)

but fuck when i got older and appreciated music more i realized how they wrote some amazing songs.

my dad only listens to blues so the only thing we both listen to is cream

I didn't know Glenn Gould sang.

>From my Dad:
AC/DC
Lynyrd Skynyrd

>From my Mom:
Jeff Buckley (she really likes hallelujah)
Van Morrison
And the odd country artist like Don Williams or Johnny Cash

>tfw I listen to dadrock but my dad doesn't.

I tried to get my parents into 60's rock but they're really conservative and don't understand anything psychedelic. They like old country and gospel stuff, which some of it is good but wish they were into the more "hip" stuff at the time.

>Dad
Beatles
Yes
Rush
The Who
David Bowie
Pink Floyd
Talking Heads
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Soundgarden

>Mom
Absolutely nothing. She doesn't really listen to music that often. Her favorite artist is Coldplay.

A lot actually, my dad listened to a lot of classic rock like the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and The Doors but also liked 90's alt rock like Everclear and The Smashing Pumpkins

Yeah, my parents put me on a lot of 70's and 80's pop/rock music... everything from Culture Club, George Michael or Elton John to Van Halen, Aerosmith and Alice Cooper only to name a few. I always was mainly interested in rap music since I was about 6 and it helped my father get into it as well.

Only the Classical - Bach, Strauss, Schubert, etc.

Parents listened to Bjork, Pink Floyd, Frank Zappa, John Martyn, Massive Attack, etc. And while I enjoyed that music as a teenager, I only listen to classical these days.

An awful lot, my whole taste was shaped by my Dad. Scott Walker, Nick Drake, Jacques Brel, The Beach Boys, The Beatles, Television, Pixies, Van Morrison (Astral Weeks at least), Bowie, Dylan, Kraftwerk - I could go on for hours.

Well he listened to the beatles and other popular rock from that time so it's not unthinkable I sometimes listen to the same shit.
Not a beatles fan though.

My mom listened to Kate Bush though and I fucking love her music so there's that.

Kind of, but not really. They were huge fans of the Talking Heads, King Crimson, and The Grateful Dead, and I don't really like any of those bands anymore.

What's the ultimate dadcore song?

youtube.com/watch?v=m-b76yiqO1E

Fucking hell, that's my favourite Neil Young song!

Might be my favorite song overall. It's just great.

sabbath, blue cheer, the kinks. I'd say the normal stuff from the 60s/70s/80s most people listen to these days

My dad put me onto a lot of early Australian stuff.
Coloured Balls, Blue Cheer, The Saints, Radio Birdman, The Nerves, Billy Thorpe and The Aztecs, Easy Beats, Buffalo, Tamam Shud. Coloured Balls were very good. Glad my dad introduced me to this stuff, basically the only thing we ever had or have in common
youtu.be/QKfECnQZZEE

My dad has cute taste and he introduced me to artists like - ABBA, The Ventures, Jethro Tull, Michael Jackson, The Beatles, Frank Sinatra, Madonna

haha my mum is alike

My mom loves classical music so that

what the fuck does cute taste even mean

Yeah, classic and hard rock like dad listened to and a bit of 80's(New Order, Depeche Mode, Talking Heads).

My dad and I bond over Cold Chisel.

My dad has patrician taste in alt country, but not much else. Still take a lot of recs from him though.

Joy Division, The Beatles, Talking Heads, Velvet Underground, Bowie, Beefheart, Hendrix, Zappa, Tom Waits etc.

I my dad

I

my dad gave me Roderigo y Gabriela, and in return I gave him Person Pitch

Pink Floyd, Genesis, The Police, Belle and Sebastian that's about it I guess

yep
my mum loved yéyé (it took me years to appreciate this genre)
& my dad 70's folk/protest-songs (ie. Ribeiro, Joan Baez)
but they are quite old now & only listen to TV talent show crap...

My dad has decent taste for a papa. He turned me on to Talking Heads, The Smiths, and all of the big first-wave American punk bands.

>Mom
David Bowie
Iggy Pop
Lou Reed / VU
Bauhaus
Roxy Music
Television
And the list goes on...
>Dad
Talking Heads
REM
Kraftwerk