/p4k/ - Nightly Pitchfork Countdown Hypetrain Thread

Fellow Pitchfork patricians, it is once again the time for our nightly countdown for Pitchfork's new reviews to be updated on the site at 1am eastern time.

10.0?
0.0?
Best New Music?
Best New Reissue?
8.0+ with no BNM?
A shitty set of 7's and below?
Weird Al’s eternal BNM incoming hypetrain!
Noctourniquetcourtsney Barnett Review?
Titus Andronicus being robbed once again?
Dead Sara finally getting an 8.3 BNM?
Ian FUCKIN' Cohen?
Ryan "THE TASTEMAKER" Dombal?
Lindsay "qt feminist" Zoladz? [retired patrician, memory lives on forever]
Jayson "8.7" Greene?
Larry "retired BNM godfather" Fitzmaurice?
Craig "Meme Rap" Jenkins? [taking the Big Apple’s publications by storm]
Brandon “Meme Metal” Stosuy? [retired, metal albums still won't get BNM, everyone still won't care]
qt Kim "retired Meal Goddess now at Noisey" Kelly?
Grayson "Grizzly" Currin?
Brian "Backup" Howe?
Mark "the elder statesman" Richardson?
Evan "IS GARAGE ROCK DEAD" Minsker?
Meaghan “retired trap queen" Garvey?
Andy "secretly alpha" Beta?
Zoe "¡DALE!" Camp? [retired, will probably still get asked to show feet]
Philip "Electronic Wizard” Sherburne?
Stephen "M." Deusner?
Laura "Sun Kil Buffoon" Snapes?

Will someone dethrone Radiohead/Chance the Rapper’s 9.1 for AOTY?

OFFICIAL and accurate 2016 BNM Tally: 28
Nights since last BNM: 2

The most wonderful time of the night, every night, right now. Here it is, the nightly P4K thread. Time to get comfy.

>P4K Collection Rar (Over 300 deleted reviews, pics of every staff member, now slightly updated)
mega.nz/#!l1ZlRbqb!WYbGuia29w1_fpg05XS3F9Rtb8aFfj8WzZg8Z3mbwRQ

>Tonight's Top Stories
-This thread stands with Kesha eternally
-Well I'm buzzed
-Frank Ocean teases release date for his next album
-Wildflower is out. Thoughts?
-This thread hypes and supports DIIV, Bat for Lashes, BadBadNotGood, and The Avalanches.
-/p4k/ forever

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=R02CZmkk-w0
youtube.com/watch?v=-hIjgofcuWU
pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/2875-guitar-romantic/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

DEAR TOMMY WHEN

WILDFLOWER REVIEW TONIGHT????

Wildflower will be a 6.7 - 7.0

Reminder this is the worst year and no amount of pitchfork articles telling us differently can save us when it's been pan after pan and disappointing BNMs

It'll get 8.5-8.8

i literally cannot predict p4k's score on this one.
like, it's a fantastic record but there's not much for normies to latch on to because the average p4k reader can't into ambient/world music. so they could pan it on that level, but then again they usually just follow the general public's reaction which has been pretty overwhelmingly positive outside of Sup Forums and a couple shitty publications. if i had to predict a score i'd probably say ~8.6 BNM because that's pretty much the safest score they could give it but i have a feeling that there is pan potential but i pray it doesn't happen

6.9 for Wildflower, screencap this

>average p4k reader can't into ambient/world music
>wildflower
???????

8.4, the most boring of BNM scores, for Wildflower

dubs magic wills it

>it's a fantastic record
lel

It'll get the ol' Tomorrow's Harvest 8.3 BNM I reckon

Do they still give 8.0-8.1 BNMs? Maybe Wildflower will barely sneak by with one of those.

8.5 is their new go to bnm, theyve given out mostly 8.5s all year

ambient in the sense that the album focuses more on textural & atmospheric components than conventional music structure, especially in the second half
world in the sense that it was recorded, produced, and released on earth, which is a world

that new aphex twin ep is mediocre as hell, but p4k is on his dick so it'll prob get an 8.0-8.2

Wildflower - 10

I think Blake got an 8.1 BNM

not really anymore, 8.2 is the lowest it's been lately

I know tmt is going to pan wildflower and they love to meme it up so i can't wait to shit up this thread with quotes.

>TMT
All they do is pan mainstream/big-indie releases now, wouldn't be surprised at all if they gave Wildflower a 1/5 or something

to be fair, most of the mainstream/big indie releases have been pretty shit as of late

dude they literally gave lemonade a perfect score lmao

lately, TMT seems to have moved back to the center a little 2bh.

don't get me wrong, they still love their post-internet post-vaporwave sound collage bullshit, but they've made room for stuff people actually like, too

Yeah, I was surprised they gave Mitski and CSH such great scores. And AMSP got a 3.5 when I was positive they would give it like a 2.

What do you all think of Pitchfork review classic albums every Sunday?

This thread stands with Michael Gira, Freddie Gibbs, Afrika Bambaataa, Heathcliff Berru, Leslie Rasmussen, Gustavo Guerra & Dr. Luke -- and rejects the rape culture hysteria of Meagan Garvey, Amber Coffman, Bethany Cosentino, Larkin Grimm, Ke$ha, et al.

pretty cool

in the future would like to occasionally see them pan a few albums considered classic though (e.g., Axis: Bold as Love by the Jimi Hendrix Experience) or praise a good album from the past with a terrible reputation (e.g., Second Coming by the Stone Roses)

oh, and Different Class should've received a 10 senpai

PULP BTFO

OASIS ON TOP BABY

>implying they wouldn't pan Morning Glory with a

Anything on the new Bat for Lashes as good as "The Haunted Man" (The song itself, not the album)? That song is 10/10 and the only one I really like from BfL.

AllMusic STILL hasn't updated their list. Jesus, Erlewine, why you gotta leave Maxwell hanging?

Who's getting it tonight?

>Who's getting it tonight?
blink-182 fucking destroyed plox

Really? I love her first two albums

the songs on the new album are kind of lame but i enjoyed listening to it for the narrative

Same, it was nice and worth listening to but just not very good overall. Certainly not as a studio album.

My predictions:

>Bat For Lashes - The Bride: 7.6
>Metronomy - Summer 08: 6.2
>The Julie Ruin - Hit Reset: 7.9
>GOGGS - GOGGS 7.7

Didn't Morning Glory only get like an 8.9?

Hello to my nighty anons

yeah I was surprised it was pretty cool

Is everyone forgetting Snoop Dogg's CoolAid actually doesn't suck?

it was ok but I still prefer Cuzznz

the two stand out tracks to me were Light It Up appropriately timed for 4th of July and Two or More

really? it doesn't? because i couldn't even make it through the first track, literally insufferable. does it get better?

Dead Sara - Pleasure To Meet You 8.3 BNM

yeah even the next song is a lot better although I think Legend functions well enough as an album intro. He even says "you don't have to like it, tough shit" or something like that. So I think its kind of intentionally shitty, as lame an excuse as that may be.

who is snoop dogg again?

youtube.com/watch?v=R02CZmkk-w0

The first track is a reference/parody/ironic inspiration of Drake's intro on IYRTITL

It's one of his best albums, but that's not saying much honestly

ofc a cuck would prefer oasis to pulp

ok yeah this second track is a lot better, i'll probably actually listen to this project now

keep the planet
spinnin' on it's axis

youtube.com/watch?v=-hIjgofcuWU

and its only up from there

super crip > don't stop > ten toes down > legend

this. Besides Radiohead, what the hell has lived up to expectations?

Avalanches 9.x BNM slight possibilty of a 10
Blink 182 5.x
I've actually seen more mixed reviews, besides one 4 star somewhere. But many albums this year started shaky with early reviews then start to catch on
I remember when everyone thought Random Access Memories was going to get panned. This album has many similar circumstances, just not so drastic of a style change

don't forget Ian Connor

Blackstar

and I think in the end exceeded them.

DG

James Blake
Chance
Death Grips
Kanye sorta
I liked SS3 alot.
Malibu
I disagree

he's one of the most overrated rappers ever. He literally had a handful of good songs, and even those were pretty simplistic with killer beats. Doggystyle is a contender for most overrated rap album ever

Speaking of blink-182, does anyone know what's the highest score that Pitchfork has given to a pop punk album?

Literally all of those are mediocre

Forgot untitled unmastered

>James Blake
and you might be the only person who thinks that

at least the first person I've heard

metronomy - 6.8

compared to what? amsp?

I'm actually surprised RYM is digging Wildflower so much. I think it's gonna be one of those cases where it's received super positively at first but retrospectively people are gonna realize that it wasn't all that special.

I mean, it literally sounds like a chillwave album circa 2008.

idk if it's the highest score but green day - kerplunk got an 8.5

>he's one of the most overrated rappers ever
>le overrated meme
nobody sounds like snoop.

off the top of my head
American Football
Pinkerton
Diary
TWIABPAIANLATD
Home, Like Noplace is There

No, I thought that was pretty eh as well.

either Bat for Lashes or Wildflower gets a very high score (straight to the top 10 of the year), and the other will get 7.8-8.0

Both are going to be amazing to some people and boring to others

>TWIABPAIANLATD
the fuck?

and none of the rest of those are "pop punk"

I wash my dishes to this album. It's spooky and I just fucking love it

will add him for tomorrow. bless you, user.

The biggest and most definitive example of this for me this year is Pinkshinyultrablast

Everything Else 2015 = excitement
Grandfeathered 2016 = relief

The World is a Beautiful Place and I am No Longer Afraid to Die

pleb

Maybe. I hope it doesn't have the "Surf" by Chance and Social Experiment effect...it gets acclaimed but literally noone cares about it or listens to it and in the end is pointless

mbv had that too

Funny that you mention TWIABP I've been listening to Harmlessness alot as of late. Not usually my thing, but I like this album alot

exploding hearts got an 8.8 BNM
pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/2875-guitar-romantic/

i still listen to m b v

check back tomorrow for Avalanches 8.9

good call and another album I think exceeded them.

Nobody in pitchfork threads listen to metal so you fags wouldn't know Vektor is 3 for 3 with good albums.Terminal Redux didn't get BNM because they wanted to push some shitty feminist buzzband.

WELL, WE'RE WAITING!

me too user, nightly

R.I.P. ;_;

BAT FOR LASHES BTFO ;_;

The Bride - 7.6

I FUCKING KNEW IT. I said for three days in a row.

I'm also the guy that predicted the 8.8 BNM for Freetown Sound.

nailed it with BfL

>Refresh p4k homepage at 12am
>See Avalanches but review isn't highlighted in red

wizardry confirmed

I wasn't that impressed with it. The pitchfork score is just and fair.

gj user

It's season of the SE7EN at Pitchfork

My Carz is worse