Suggest some music themed (Preferably fictional) movies

Suggest some music themed (Preferably fictional) movies.

Been taking Sup Forums suggestions and so far this week watched

Frank - 9.5/10
Green Room - 9/10
Inside Llewyn Davis - 8/10
Whiplash - 9/10

All high ratings but I'm being objective, they're all just really good movies

What should I watch tonight?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sVPVbc8LgP4
youtube.com/watch?v=vQddpR29we4
youtube.com/watch?v=dyxhcNsjWKI
youtube.com/watch?v=rpRK1t-30L0
youtube.com/watch?v=qAXzzHM8zLw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Love and Mercy is a sweet Beach Boys movie.

Have you seen amadeus already?

Wanting more fictional movies, like a normal well made movie that happens to feature music.

yes, the scenes with the beach boys during the recording sessions were excellent

Its based on true stuff but its not a documentary really, its got great performances from Paul Dano.

FM - great soundtrack

Ex Drummer. I haven't seen it, but it sounds decent

Sound of Noise

Check out the original short too. It's only 10 minutes.

youtube.com/watch?v=sVPVbc8LgP4

Ladies and Gentlemen, The Fabulous Stains
We Are the Best!

God I hated Frank. Such a terrible, faux "quirky" movie.
I would recommend The Devil and Daniel Johnston tho, probably the best music documentary i've seen. We Jam Econo, which is about The Minutemen is also quite good.

High Fidelity

I actually hate "quirky" movies, like I can't stand any of the pretentious bullchit Wes Anderson had put out. So maybe I enjoyed it so much because it failed at that.

Haven't seen Green Room, agree with you on the last two. I couldn't even get through Frank it was so boring.

>not realizing it's a satirical take on the "indie" scene today

The Devil and Daniel Johnston is really good

Green Room is the best movie of the year so far, you have to see it.

it's a good movie with a fascinating story, doesn't present itself like a documentary at all

check out High Fidelity too and maybe Empire Records (cringey but good for some weird reason, very comfy)

>Inside Llewyn Davis
>8
>Frank
>9.5
That's super fucky, Inside Llewyn > Whiplash > Green Room >= Frank

Not entirely about music and it's pretty cringey at times but still a fun watch and it always makes me want to play in a loud garage punk band every time I watch it.

i think this movie's still breddy güd

I know you said fictional but if you like music movies you literally have to watch Searching for
Sugar Man

rad movie this is my choice

Check out "Forbidden Zone", it's fictional, has a great aesthetic and is very centered around music.

youtube.com/watch?v=vQddpR29we4
youtube.com/watch?v=dyxhcNsjWKI

youtube.com/watch?v=rpRK1t-30L0

True Stories is pretty good if that counts

upstream color had a good one, its mainly just ambient tho

That movie trying way to hard to seem complicated

Just because it's satire doesn't make it good.
For me it failed as a film in general, full of cringy cliches, unlikable characters and predictable story.
A girl recommended it to me, later told her I didn't like it, the only defense she could come up with to why it was good was it's an "indie film".

I watched its all gone pete tong something like 50 times when I was younger, it inspired me to become deaf

>Frank
>9.5

>Whiplash
>9

awful taste desu

I think it don't want to like it because you see more of yourself in anti-hero Jon than you feel comfortable with.

I'll give you one reason why it's good.
No one wins. You're left back where you started when the movie began. Jon is no closer to his music goals and Frank & co. resume their erratic musical activities. The plot resolves in the context of the film, but the characters are left worse for wear and without any true insight into what they've done and where/how to move forward.

Which leads into another reason it's good: it's real or realish in its thematics
It realistically depicts the futility of making what one perceives as art in this age of mass consumption, merit based on invisible tweets and thumbs, and the idea that one has "made it" only when millions of people have heard your music.
Another great aspect is how the string of keyboard players all buy into the idea that hardship and mental illness are catalysts for great art over effort and discipline. It's a great take on the pervasive idea (which has been around forever, but is apparent more than ever) that a great artist is only born from self inflicted and imposed hells.
It's obviously a take on the Appolian/Dionysion dichotomy in art. On the one hand you have Jon who believes there is no pragmatic approach to music and that it just happens, and on the other is Gyllenhall who knows there's a method to Frank's madness even if she can't describe it. Meanwhile, Frank serves as the merger of these two ideals as he encompasses the discipline and methodical approach while incorporating his metaphysical, emotional, and experiential facets to create, as the movie implies, an amazing album.

Sure this is all played out thematics, but the presentation is semi-original. Btw, if you can't relate to that scene where the fest girls say 25000 views is nothing, then you need to get out more and interact with musicians trying to "make it."

>implying any of these flicks are anything decent besides the just ok coen flick

you are underage. reported

>Wes Anderson
>Quirky
oh lordy lord

>flicks
eh

no you "enjoyed" it because you unironically think dude we're just weird outsiders with mENTAL ILLNESS LOL actually exist

even worse, maybe you think youre one yourself.

Forbidden Zone is my fucking jam.

You can't go in expecting a regular movie though. It's more like an alien's arts and crafts project meant to imitate a human movie after watching nothing but Rocky Horror.

Great music too, in the typical overblown musical fashion.

who hurt you? why not let dumb kids be dumb kids? op is op m8

hes obviously still new to music and movies, im sure it'll get better with time. still, he is underage, and i must report him.

DATZ WHAT IM LE SAYING LEL KEK

>replies with simply epic reddit ironic pic as if that somehow dismisses the fact he does have awful taste due to limited knowledge/exposure

you underages expose yourselves

>High Society
eh you know the words, may as well sing a long. It's not technically brilliant but it's fun

>Diva
This is pretty weird to be honest, scared me when i first watched it, but it's pretty nicely made and it's interesting. Weird thief boy.

>The Commitments
The music is pretty fun, the film is alright. Who cares at this stage.

Leningrad Cowboys Go America

Inside Llewyn Davis - 10/10
Amadeus - 10/10
Pitch Perfect - 10/10
O Brother Where Art Thou - 9/10
This is Spinal Tap - 9/10
A Hard Days Night - 9/10
High Fidelity - 8.5/10
Green Room - 8.5/10
Frank - 8/10
Once - 8/10
Love and Mercy - 7.5/10
That Thing You Do - 7.5/10
School of Rock - 6/10

and Whiplash is an 8/10 but I don't even consider it a music movie.

Pick of Destiny desu senpai
Rockstar too

Güeros

Walk the Line. It's not fictional, but great nonetheless.

Not a movie but been watching the HBO series vinyl and have been enjoying it so far.

Also Beck Mongolian Chop Squad is a legitimately great anime about playing in a band.

>thinking taste in art is objective

high school was fun

test

Could just be because the movie was genuinely interesting. It's quirkiness felt like it fit, unlike another movie that gets infinite praise called Juno.

Yeah Whiplash just used music as the vessel for its message, a number of other things could've been used, but another sports film probably would've been terribly boring.

>Yeah Whiplash just used music as the vessel for its message
Well, unless it's a documentary or something this is probably true about most "music movies"

Yeah but Whiplash's whole plot and message was completely at odds with how decent music is actually made, or really just being creative in general. It was an otherwise well made movie so I tend to give at a pass, but compared to most of the other movies ITT it didn't really utilize the musical aspect of it beyond the superficial.

have fun

>Whiplash
>that shit 9/10

OUTER

C L A S S I C

WATCH THIS

and also pic related

SPINAL TAP

WATCH IT NOW.

youtube.com/watch?v=qAXzzHM8zLw

Jethro Tull/Uriah Heep

So Sup Forums has terrible taste in music and film. Funny how this is listed as a "creative" board.

what's your favourite music based film?

I don't have any as I don't waste my time on something trying hard to appeal to a demographic to make them feel like they're "in the know" as they saw that Thinking Fellers Union 282 reference that only they saw and not everyone else who watched the same movie saw.

what the fuck are you on about

literally what.

Nashville

what's your favourite film then?

J'irai comme un cheval fou (1973)

Op here, forgot about this thread and just stumbled upon it again, Sup Forums didn't disappoint with the contrarian elitest posts after I left.

fuck you pathetic dog your bad taste called me from my sleep

Majority of music based "films":

Oddly paired group/ friends/ situations that think they're terrible but get better through some external power/influence that they can get better and connect to each other (add some shallow romance to the mix to get more women interested in the film here). Next create some strife between the character or some existential problem for one of the characters that harm the others leading to the group/dup/band stop doing "what they love" and cut to some "emotional" scenes giving more exposition on the scenario (may add some flashbacks at this point). Create a resolution by either the group going their seperate ways or getting back together and making "awesome" music once more then fade to closing credits. Bonus: everytime there's music playing add some "obscure" band reference like TFU282 and sometimes namedrop "indie cred" musicians like Beck so that the audience will think "hey these guys know the music I love, they have great taste". There you go, a completely generic music movie that covers 90% of music movies ever released.

>Arrabal
aha ebin man

You should watch This is Spinal Tap

That movie is easily an 11/10

Is that Joy Division movie any good?

>implying that using the break up of a band as conflict in a film plot that is about a band is a bad thing even though this is the main conflict that a band could ever realistically face

what did he mean by this

Contrived conflict is the lowest form of storytelling.

It's a generic plot point that has been done to death. The way it's done isn't even realistic it's usually a result of one band member suddenly becoming extremely antagonistic and another becoming extremely sullen with the rest either picking sides or becoming irrational. It's lazy writing and most music movies do it so it just shows that the writers can't come up with anything original.

Airheads
Fame
blues brothers
24 hour party people
Im not there
footloose
saturday night fever
the yellow submarine
school of rock
dreamgirls
pitch perfect
dirty dancing
a bunch of movies about dancing Step Up,Take the Lead
detroit rock city
the jazz singer
hustle and flow
the harder they come
hedwig and the angry inch
sweet and lowdown
the piano
shine
jersey boys
across the universe
the bodyguard
pitch perfect
the phantom of the opera
Any movie with elvis
pink floys the wall
repo the genetic opera
the rocker
eddie and the cruisers
the mtv movie about that Boyband, there was also tv series
nick and norahs infinte playlist
taking woodstock

Inside Llewyn Davis, Amadeus, O Brother Where Art Thou, Spinal Tap, High Fidelity, Love and Mercy and Green Room don't follow this.

Frank, Once and Whiplash follow it to some extent but make up for it in other areas.

Stop being a cunt.

wrong kid died

just saw
it was cute and fun
music was deece
7/10

Great, so only movies targetted towards the LCD don't utilize the afforementioned tropes directly but these movies do employ other equally as lazy techniques to appeal to specific demographics, thanks for confirming my point.

Whoa dude, you gettin' angers.

Please explain how Inside Llewyn Davis, Amadeus or Green Room are appealing to the lowest common denominator at all.

I'm legitimately curious.

Control's great.

You're biting on bait, man.

great film here, def check it out OP

They're all "films" that try to be artistic but their modus operandi is primaily that; trying to be artistic. This is a goal they can never reach as if they wanted to be artistic they'd have to drop several aspects of their respective story/ the certain techniques employed within the respective films to shed the mainstream pandering included within them thereby renouncing the LCD appeal. They failed to do this so are pseudo-artistic films that are a step above whatever Bruce Willis was released within the last year but the "indie" crowd can take solace in the fact that they aren't into "plebian theatre" such as those who go to see the Bruce Willis film. It's the same thing with Drive which by everyone's standards in this thread is a music related film which is "great".

Lol.

You are a very special flower person.

I mean it

the band Slade made an almost famous-esque rock movie called Slade in Flame and I really like that one. They parody Screaming Lord Sutch and lots of other glam tropes while also playing great music

That's only honesty, unless you want to blind yourself with the laissez faire of the "auteur".

You are very unique and special.

it was definitely trying to be obscure but that doesn't make it bad.
you come out of it not knowing all the details but you do get the gist of the story. i liked it that way.

Inside Llewyn Davis is the best movie on that list.

agreeed

No, I don't want to blind myself with all that french terms dog no way, my precious lotus flower.

this