ITT: songs that sound exactly like other songs

Here's the worst offender. The final song on Sufjan Stevens' album Illinois sounds EXACTLY like Music for 18 Musicians by Steve Reich. Seriously. Give it a listen.
Stevens: youtube.com/watch?v=i7ts5C6LFmo
Reich: youtube.com/watch?v=E_jwv2QMtAo

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=C0xixWrzC7E
youtube.com/watch?v=sVxKZhw6uH4
youtube.com/watch?v=PK1alQN3MDg
youtu.be/PBhG_KNjKvg
youtu.be/vpd2Ke-UWXs?t=2m22s
youtu.be/PLRQ1j5SYO4
youtube.com/watch?v=PJiX0SgByOs
youtube.com/watch?v=nWnUuosQwZY
youtu.be/lYatqE7OA1Q?t=11m44s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You know it's always really hard to tell when something is a rip-off and when something is an homage isn't it?

never said it was rip-off. but yeah, it's often hard to tell.

That song isn't exactly some sort of obscure gem that can be ripped off by a more popular artist.. Plenty of artists have played with the ideas presented in Reich's work, especially that song in particular. It's like the closest thing he has to a hot single.

I loved that track by Sufjan and had always wanted more of it, but had never heard the Reich piece. Thanks for sharing it man

I'm aware of Reich's works and the influence he has on artists. That being said, it's remarkable just how similar the two pieces of music sound. It's bizarre because you wouldn't expect an indie pop album to directly reference a minimalist epic.
sure thing man. always happy to share the joy of minimalism.

>indie pop
Painting With ends on a surprisingly similar moment

AnCo reference Reich as well? haven't got around to listening to all of Painting With but now I've got to give it a listen.

Don't get too excited, the majority of it certainly isn't reminiscent of Reich. But the song recycling in particular has a bit that sounds a lot like music for eighteen musicians

doesn't surprise me. i wasn't expecting anything to the degree that sufjan did, AC never were as adventurous as Sufjan

always though this was strange, especially since soofer is good friends with bryce dessner

youtube.com/watch?v=C0xixWrzC7E

youtube.com/watch?v=sVxKZhw6uH4

>AC never were as adventurous as Sufjan
Woah dude, I'm just going to assume you haven't listened to a lot of Anco because this is not true at all. I love Sufjan too, he and AC are definitely in my top 5 artists, but animal Collectives discography is a lot more varied and experimental than suffys.

more reich inspired stuff?
bowie made this track in the studio all on his own after watching the european premiere of Music For 18 Musicians. while Brian Eno was out of town too.
youtube.com/watch?v=PK1alQN3MDg

im very familiar with the music of animal collective. i've listened to every single AC album, including their early works. i worded it poorly, what i meant was AC tends to stay inside this indie/electronic box. while their early albums are noise inspired, they're still mostly pop. while sufjan's albums are an amalgamation of different genres and styles, such as pop, folk, rock, and even minimalism, as we were talking about.

this is remarkable. the percussion is very, very Reich. thanks for sharing.

I get where you're coming from but you're totally ignoring AnCo's undeniable folk stylings in their earlier work

It's so obvious that I'm willing to bet you'll know within seconds

youtu.be/PBhG_KNjKvg

two headed boy is my guess, but it also kinda sounds like king of carrot flowers part 3

maybe you're right. i just feel like, album by album, Sufjan Stevens has more influences and styles in his music.
damn. i actually know these guys too. the opening sounds exactly like two-headed boy and the sort of lo-fi folk sound is very reminiscent of NMH.

What's that song by that shitty band with the EXACT same melodies as Bros by Panda Bear

The change-up in this Format song totally reminds me of Holland, 1945. It may be a coincidence, but it sounds pretty darn similar, and the lead singer of The Format has covered another song from ITAOTS before
youtu.be/vpd2Ke-UWXs?t=2m22s

it's holland 1945 you idiots

Maybe Sufjan, AnCo, and Bowie are among the 18 musicians the music was made for.....

>AC never were as adventurous as Sufjan
hahahahahahah what

kek

youtu.be/PLRQ1j5SYO4

OMG. this guy gets it

i know this song and i agree, but with lyrics from King Of Carrot Flowers part 1 (the surreal domestic violence!) and the buildup from parts 2-3. when has nate covered NMH???

implying NMH songs sound differently

Has a NMH vibe but I wouldn't say it sounds exactly like Holland

I think he did a cover of the song ITAOTS with fun.

AC never were as adventurous as Sufjan

I hate The National. On that same album they ripped off Aphex Twin (at least to my ears)youtube.com/watch?v=PJiX0SgByOs
youtube.com/watch?v=nWnUuosQwZY

I mean, I like the Nationals song, but wow

Add in Tortoise's Djed in there as well.
youtu.be/lYatqE7OA1Q?t=11m44s

kill me now jesus christ that is disgusting.......

popular music has been ripping off classical music for decades.