/monthly/

Welcome to /monthly/!

/monthly/ is an ongoing thread where we choose a genre to listen to for the month and listen to it together. Why? In doing this we generate more discussion about the genre, share music, make charts, and introduce easier way for you to explore the genre. We have listen-alongs and share what we have been listening to and at the end of the month, vote on what albums are the greatest of the genre.

>This month's genre
New Wave

>Get started
rateyourmusic.com/genre/New Wave

>I've already listened to a ton of New Wave and I'm ready to make a chart
neverendingchartrendering.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

francomix.com/article-French_Punk_New_Wave_1975_1985-39.html
youtu.be/30k2uMwBLM8
jasonwillis.com/new-wave-twist-1979-1981/
mrfink.com/mp3/nwt.zip
youtu.be/8Swj3pmKric
youtu.be/ZULvpTnLQv4
youtu.be/x2r4KhZmw9c
youtu.be/9TfoqBmYZow
youtu.be/LGD9i718kBU
youtube.com/watch?v=KQuddDfXzfs
plug.dj/monthly-july-2016-new-wave
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bump

Nrump

>I've already listened to a ton of New Wave and I'm ready to make a chart
yep, please do, it'd be helpful
with a mix of Essentials, obscure releases and from different countries (not just USA/UK)

pls don't die

>and from different countries (not just USA/UK)

I made one out of shit that I like. Going down the list...

>Netherlands
>Yugoslavia
>Japan
>Poland

>Poland
>Germany
>Japan
>Japan

>Canada
>Japan
>Japan
>France

I have alot of work to do this month.

bump wew lad
this is a good idea

The 80's is back with a vengeance!

I look forward to getting started and seeing where this goes.

this should be a fun one

a lot of debate about what 'new wave' actually means (different things in the uk and usa iirc)

I'd be interested in hearing about the New Wave scenes in various countries.

RYM is dead at the moment, but you're interested about French punk/new-wave here a list:
francomix.com/article-French_Punk_New_Wave_1975_1985-39.html

2 compilations:
V.A. - Des Jeunes Gens Mödernes - Post Punk, Cold Wave et Culture Novö en France 1978-1983
V.A. - BIPPP (French-Synth-Wave 1979-85)

I'm on mobile at the moment, so I can't make a chart, but here's my list:

Talking Heads - Remain in Light
Devo - Q: Are We Not Men
Television - Marque Moon
The Cars - Self Titled
Elvis Costello - Armed Forces
XTC - Drums and Wires
B-52s - B-52s
The Cure - Boys Don't Cry
The Jam - The Gift
Blondie - Parallel Lines
Joe Jackson - Look Sharp!
The Police - Outlandos D'Amour
Duran Duran - Rio
Tears for Fears - Songs from the Big Chair
Depeche Mode - Speak and Spell
The Human League - Dare
The The - Soul Mining
Madness - One Step Beyond
Iggy Pop - The Idiot
Split Enz - True Colours
Oingo Boingo - Only a Lad
Pretenders - Pretenders
Cardiacs - A Little Man and a House and the Whole World Window

Is that Cardiacs album New Wave? I wasn't quite sure.

Also, cool idea.

Cool, will give me new stuff to check out in addition to my favourites.

youtu.be/30k2uMwBLM8

...post-punk = new wave, right?

Not really but there is plenty of overlap.

Nice, I thought this was going to die while I was sleeping.

I haven't actually listened to much myself, I just put that link in case you have already listened to a ton.

Kind of. I'm just blindly trusting RYM for what's New Wave or not.

Never Ending Chart Rendering isn't working, so I'm just going to use this instead.

I really like this idea. New Wave might be too ambiguous of a term, I'd hate to see these threads become an endless quarrel of genre definitions. But then again it will at least keep the threads bumped.

Hello, I have no knowledge of this genre. What is the entry point album I should listen to? RYM doesn't really show that..

check either B-52's, Talking Heads, Cars, Devo, Bowie post-Berlin or Elvis Costello.
It's basically post-punk but more pop, with synthesizers.

>V/A ~ New Wave Twist – 1979-1981 – New Wave Compilation [320kbps]
that looks interesting: US new-wave rarities compiled by some blogger here: jasonwillis.com/new-wave-twist-1979-1981/
(not sure if it's pure new-wave, or post-punk, no-wave, etc).

DL: mrfink.com/mp3/nwt.zip

I'm planning on starting this when I get back from work. It's not quite done yet, but i'm in a hurry.

Take 77 off

chart finished!

>David Bowie - Tonight
For a long time I hated this album but considering the quality of the whole thing, it's not so bad. Overall, it wasn't a waste of time as I feared: the more I listen to this album the more I like it. It's not innovative at all. Definitely a second-rate release in the Bowie discography (i.e. Hours, Reality, Pin-Ups, The Next Day) but it has some good melodies and it's really well-produced. youtu.be/8Swj3pmKric

bump

>Television - Marquee Moon

This album is praised constantly by fans of new wave, and it's not hard to see why. Many new wave bands that followed Television took at least some influence from them. That being said, this album is still very enjoyable to listen to, even if you ignore its influence entirely. Tom Verlaine's vocals are very unique, however at times they sound a bit off, and I could see some people disliking this album or band just because of Tom's voice. The guitar riffs are catchy as hell, too. This album is a classic, and anybody who's into punk, new wave, or rock in general should listen to it.

Favorite Tracks: See No Evil, Marquee Moon, Elevation, Prove It, Torn Curtain

8/10

>Talking Heads - Remain in Light

Fantastic Album. The only things that really hurt it:

>The fade-outs, which are mostly unjustified

>The rather disappointing closer

Other than that, we have some very fun, complex, layered New Wave music that deserves almost all the praise it gets.

Best songs:
>Crosseyed and Painless
>The Great Curve
>Listening Wind

Worst song:
>The Overload

Back from werk. Stoked to see this thread still up.

>No Born Under Punches

>Dead Or alive - Sophisticated Boom Boom (1984)
Interesting album, a bit "darker" than their later dance singles (that I shamefully like), thanks to Pete Burns voice, aggressive yet sensual. The songwriting is sometimes weak (it's always saved by the shiny synthpop production), but most of the time it's really really catchy, almost post-punk. Some songs irk me but I'll come back to this album later.
Hits:
>What I Want (good opening where Pet Burns roars on a New Order-like track)
>Misty Circles, Sit On it
>Far Too Hard (great ending, sounds like if Echo & the Bunnymen sung on Strangeways, Here We Come) youtu.be/ZULvpTnLQv4

bumping for review time

The first thing that's imminent about this release is the guitar. Damn is it lovely. The first track is nothing more than your average power-poppy new wave track. However, what drives it home is it's encompassing and well mixed guitar sound. It's to bad that there is almost nothing else to take away from this release. The tone got old real fast when I realized that this release lacks anything worthwhile or terribly interesting.

Been listening to this and I have to say it's probably the best thing Queen has ever made. I never really liked Freddy's vocals with the Opera-Inspired Arena-Rock stuff, but they work a lot better here. Oh yeah, and David Bowie is on it so it has to be good.
>4/5
>best songs:
Staying Power
Under Pressure
Cool Cat
>worst song:
La Palabras De Amor

>Psychedelic Furs - Talk Talk Talk (1981)
This album isn't so bad but the tracks sounds all the same after a while because Richard Butler whiny/raucous voice get quite annoying, and there are no really great songs. The guitars/sax duo bring a nice post-punk touch.

Hits:
>Dumb Waiters (almost psychedelic, certainly influenced by the Velvet Underground) youtu.be/x2r4KhZmw9c
>Pretty In Pink (the organ sounds cool, it reminds me about Felt)

Overall, I prefer the poppier Forever Now (produced by T.Rundgren): I should have picked this LP instead!
youtu.be/9TfoqBmYZow
youtu.be/LGD9i718kBU

bump

What program is that?

Very happy this turned out well.

Inkscape. It's great. I seriously don't know why more Sup Forumstants don't save their charts in SVG.

Also, what are your thoughts on a possible plug room?

youtube.com/watch?v=KQuddDfXzfs

some dope icelandic shit

Thank you, I'll try it.

A plug.dj room sounds amazing. If somebody hears a song they like, they can try out the album. I'll create it If you don't want to.

Ann Steel - s/t

This isn't your friendly neighborhood garage new-wave band. There is some serious experience backing this album. This is a duo between singer Ann Steel and composer Roberto Cacciapaglia. Both are classically trained in Renaissance music and composing respectively. Now, keeping that in mind it's no surprise that this 30+ min long album happens to be dense as hell.

All of the individual songs are very well written, but Steel's off-kilter vocals, coupled with Cacciapaglia's pseudo-acuostic production results in an endurance test. I forsee this growing on me.

Whatever you like. I'm fine with creating a room myself but if you want to go right ahead.

I think we should allow whatever people want to play on there, but schedule occasional listen-alongs that adheres to our theme.

plug.dj/monthly-july-2016-new-wave

I'm on mobile, so I won't be participating until later once I get to my desktop.

Neonbabies - s/t

Damn, this is really good. Well paced NDW with strong melodies, minimal but effective grooves, and just the right amount of instrumentation. This goes down very easy. Some of the more repetitive tracks aren't as good, and it was hard listening to the shitty vinyl rip that seems to be the only non 128 bitrate file floating around (very tinny, lots of treble, lacking in mids and lows). Of course I tried not to have the latter alter my thoughts on the album, as i'm sure it sounds better production-wise on wax.

Regardless, this is pretty freaking solid. If you want to get into New Wave but you can't handle the jerky guitar riffs, wailing nerds, drilling synths, and the all-around "in your face" attitude, give this a listen.

We should mention that anything is allowed on set (if you want it to be that way). That way we won't turn off visitors. Also a broader room title would help.

Great idea.