/jazz/

Jazz discussion general.

Trying to develop a contemporary style of my own. Lesser known artists or songs to listen to and gather inspo? Currently listening to lots of Brubeck, Evans and Coltrane.

Other urls found in this thread:

www114.zippyshare.com/v/mz7jDtz0/file.html
pastebin.com/5cjEr3A6
twitter.com/AnonBabble

bump

please invent the industrial free jazz ive been longing for

why is Al Haig so underrated?

never heard of him, just fell in love. I get a fearless vibe from his playing, no playing safe.

bump from the edge of death

If you're still here, check out some of the stuff on the International Anthem label

Been enjoying the Wadada Leo Smith & Vijay Iyer's A Cosmic Rhythm With Each Stroke from this year. Fantastic jazz release from this year. Also ended up finally giving Smith's monster Ten Freedom Summers a listen, too as a result. Both fantastic.

Listen to early no wave stuff particularly if James Chance is involved.

Or Bohren and der Club Of Gore's album Black Earth (though it leans closer to Lustmordy dark ambient than industrial)

One of the best bebop pianists ever. Definitely up there with Powell and maybe even Monk

more like this? the more aggressive parts are fantastic, and i love how it feels so stuffed with different ideas.

Reminder to come check out the /BLINDFOLD TEST/ threads every Friday and Saturday.

www114.zippyshare.com/v/mz7jDtz0/file.html

This week's theme is Wayne Shorter tunes.

A lot of Alice Coltrane's output reminds me of the busy, spiritual vibe of this album especially Universal Consciousness

What is this?

>A Cosmic Rhythm With Each Stroke
Know of anything else with a suspenseful atmosphere? Only things I can really think of are Bitches Brew and the Twin Peaks soundtrack.

>Well-known features of Down Beat magazine include [...] its famous "Blindfold Test" column, in a which a musician listens to records by other artists, tries to guess who they are, and rates them using the 5-star maximum rating system.

Basically, you listen to a playlist stripped of all metadata and make guesses about the players, give your thoughts on the tracks... and later, the tracklist is revealed.

Here's the pastebin: pastebin.com/5cjEr3A6

You should honestly just go record a busy motorway and put a fucktonne of distortion on it. It'll probably have the same effect as what you're looking for.

Bumping for this. Been away from the threads for a few weeks and I'm planning on getting back into them.

So it's all Wayne Shorter? It doesn't make it very fun for guessing.

Wayne Shorter compositions. Guess the musician playing it.

bump

Anybody listen to the new Kenny Barron Trio album? Bud Like and In the Slow Lane are pretty great