Artist/band randomly releases new songs over the course of months without saying what they're for

>artist/band randomly releases new songs over the course of months without saying what they're for
>months later announce new album
>tracklist is mostly comprised of those released songs

why the fuck do they do this?

it's so fucking stupid, it just makes everyone pissed that there are no "new songs"

this is band marketing 101, you should announce your album, release date and drop the first single all at same time and there is no need to drop more than 2 singles before the album comes out

Other urls found in this thread:

herfitzpr.com/hpr.com/Pixies_Head_Carrier_Lyrics.html
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

i agree, its like watching 10 trailers before watching the movie

Crystal Castles have been randomly dropping tracks (I think 3.5 now) since last year about a yet to be announced new album for this year

Very poor desu, hype would be much bigger if they just went quiet during that time, then announced NEW ALBUM/FIRST NEW SINGLE?/ALBUM COVER/RELEASE DATE all on one day.

literally no artist does this apart from the ones plebs listen to

It's the worst

It's why I don't listen to singles from bands that I know/like. It ruins the album

>keeps track of every artists release ever

Best option is to announce an album of outtakes and drop a single track, then over a period slowly release the tracks until the outtake album is released, then a month later announce a new album and drop a single from that.

>falling for the album meme
Albums are an invention of the labels, there is literally no reason for the album format to exist in the current year

This is what put me off of deadmau5. I remember when he finally announced an album but it was all stuff that he'd posted online in different places, so you could listen to it on soundcloud a month before it was released. It was also his most disappointing album.

What would you prefer?

if you really think this you're a imbecile. you could say the same things about movies since there's youtube videos now.

are you serious?

This may be the single worst analogy I've ever seen on Sup Forums

rockismbabbies detected

Literally tons of artists do this

I only asked what you would prefer.

Rock is not the only album-focused format.

Kanye West has done this for his last 3 albums

The "album" format was and still is a mistake that has negatively affected music as a whole since the 1960s

And rock is the genre that made it popular

Plus, it makes those songs randomly released not seem as important

"Is this for an album? An outtake? Just something to hold people over?"

When you know it's from the new album, it gives it more importance

ye man only PLEBS like Kanye

>band reunites after 20 years
>randomly drops new single, doesn't state what it's for
>single is then included on an EP that comes out that year
>next year two more random EPs come out
>they then announce their first album in 20 years
>album is just the three EPS combined

Because they need promo, and money.

interesting problem you put on the table..

the habits of the people when they hear music change, now mostly the hear separate tracks in the cloud, i think internet change the way to consume music.

But the people that came here to Sup Forums its no the ocasional listener, we invest a lot of time and passion in music, so it tends to prefer the album form.

>band reunites after 20 years
this never works out fine

he has a point, we tend to naturalize the way we consume music, and that its not historically determined.

said that i prefer the album because its like a trip in a whole musical concept.

another point to consider its that its more expensive, and risky for a label /im thinking in an independent one/ to invest in the production on a whole album, and the money is in the shows, not in releasing music.

so its whort more to produce a single and a catchy video and sees what happend in internet, and then do a major inversion

>Rapper releases a handful of new songs
>"I'm gonna wait to listen to these, I don't wanna spoil the album for myself"
>Album comes out
>None of the previously released songs are on it
>Miss out on some great non-album songs because you were expecting them to be on an album

>band releases all the lyrics to every song on the album before it comes out

herfitzpr.com/hpr.com/Pixies_Head_Carrier_Lyrics.html

Literally why?

Is that you Travis?

Nobody these days just goes up and records an album out of nothing.

And even if they did put it out, it'd be a fluke if it got success without heavy-handed promotion or touring either during or beforehand.

Confirmed for knowing nothing about the music industry

IS IT PROTEST THE HERO

putting more focus on the lyrics as standalone pieces of writing i guess

DG did it with their new album to pull a nice lil left hook because everyone thought the album was gonna be way weirder than it eventually was