Swans - The Glowing Man

So I just started listening to this album for the first time and I find it quite okay so far, i.e. not as disappointed as a lot of fans seem to be.

What are your thoughts Sup Forums?

It's shit

Boring derivative shit

It sounds like a compilation of b-sides that didn't make The Seer/To Be Kind

Not sure why anyone expected anything different, To Be Kind was great but should have been the end of this "era" of Swans

i thought it was great desu, aotysf (still havent listened to elseq 1-5 though)

A good effort, but its not as good as The Neutral Milk Hotel's In The Aeroplane Over the Sea!

I personally love the album. Really enjoy how much the band upped the psychedelic feel on this one and delivered psychedelic the way Swans can deliver it. TBK is still my favorite album of this version of the band, but this is still a solid release that's nowhere near as derivative as people claim it is, but I can see why it's so divisive.

I'm actually listening to ITAOTS, right now. Either way, this has nothing to do with this thread. Install Gentoo.

I agree

So the meme is still going strong... I think I will kill myself now.

its friken great bruh
better than seer and tbk 2 b h

The World Looks Red / The World Looks Black is one of the greatest things the band has ever put out. Such an underrated track, where's the love for it?

explain to me why the track is so good. for me its the worst track on the album. I mean its okay but doesn't have much oomph. The first part is pretty boring and moany until the
>BU BU BURY MY MIND
part comes, and then you have the
>FOLLOW!
part but that results in a pretty lackluster outro. Dunno it just pales after Cloud of Unknowing's stellar composition.

the build on Forgetting is beyond words
overall i enjoyed this more than TBK desu

I love how cohesive it feels even at 14 minutes, I don't feel the length at all on this track. It has a very clear structure to it that I love, reminds me of Oxygen in that sense, or Mother of the World. The riffs are hypnotic and I just find myself lost in the rhythm when I listen to it. The synth is another highlight, I love how sharp it is and how it sort of takes the center stage in a sense and just briefly disappears during the middle section comes in and introduces a new riff, then it creeps back in amidst all the cacophony near the end. Which by the fact is a fantastic climax, not talking about the 3 minute outro, but all the instruments going off around the 7-8 minute mark, it may not be anywhere near the loudest they've gotten, but it's such a great pulsing rhythm, really hypnotic.

It also has my favorite Gira performance on it, out of the tracks on this album, his singing is great on it.

>THE IMMOVEABLE FACT... BURIES MY MIND
>BURY MY MIND

I can maybe agree that the final 2-3 minutes of it are a weak point of the track. I don't dislike it but the track could have done without it.

Holy fuck this. For some reason I didn't find anything outstanding about it at first but after multiple listens of the album, its probably my favourite track next to the title track.

I feel like compared to the last two albums, this requires more time to sorta 'get' it on multiple re-listens. But its probably my favourite of their latest work now.

Its a gr8 album m8

Its a 9/10 honestly. If you dont like it maybe u should go back to listening to 21 pilots u plebs

>likes swans
>thinks he's not a pleb
topkek

Your definition of pleb needs some refurbishing

nice critisism asshole

I agree, of their last 4 studio releases, this album took the longest to click with me. As of right now I place it above The Seer, but very little can touch To Be Kind, so it doesn't quite reach that level.

That's not to say this was a sour note to end on though, and as cliche as it may be, I feel this album was the perfect way to end Swans' current incarnation.
With how prevalent the "chant-y" lyrics and repetitive instrumentation are, while leaving room for those immense crescendos and builds, this album captures the feeling of ascension or "other worldliness." Far better than their last two, in my opinion (though that vibe may not have been the goal of the other two, so). I don't know what to do with myself when Frankie M and the title track play.

In short, I adore it. As much as I love the sinister atmospheres Swans is able to create, I'm glad they didn't go as strongly for one here. Despite all that comes before the closing track, I do feel at peace and content. Can't wait to see them in San Fran this September.

On a side note, I prefer the vinyl tracklisting.

elseq is goat autechre
listen now

You put it pretty well to be honest. That's how I feel about this album to a t. Can't wait to see them in October.

>On a side note, I prefer the vinyl tracklisting.

Isn't it the same?

15:36

meme aside, that track isn't very good.

Well shoot, guess I was wrong.

I pre-ordered the vinyl and listened through it, but this is how the MP3's from my download code were arranged. I assumed the CD was the same. Hm.

where can I get this and Swans' previous album?
[spoiler]for free[/spoiler]

spotify

soulseek

have you checked the archive newfag?

bump