Grimes general

Since the shit posters of /mu currently have their own thread going for irrational Grimes hate, let's have all the aspects of discussion about her here.

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s1aGq1TNd0bJ
youtube.com/watch?v=3Ci0tAdP7NY
youtube.com/watch?v=2-aWEYezEMk
vimeo.com/34822306
youtube.com/watch?v=YSWwVYuqsVM
flickr.com/photos/claireboucher
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Fuck you and your shitty waifuposting

That being said I like Art Angels and Visions

Her (and everyone else's) Glastonbury sets (video) are on themixingbowl.org, private tracker that has all kinds of music.

What do you think of her earlier stuff? Personally I like the sound of it more (I'm normally an anti-pop person) but I find the increasingly better crafting of her newer work incredibly interesting.

I wonder what her opinion on the death grips is. Has she ever posted a song of theirs to her tumblr?

tumblr fad, talentless hack.

You're in the wrong thread.

>op image grimes
>he thinks this isn't a shitposting thread

Do you think Stefan posts in these threads? Do you think she's his waifu?

i used to only like geidi primes but this week halfaxa finally clicked for me. people say the newer stuff is put together better but i honestly didn't notice that

vocaroo.com/i/s1aGq1TNd0bJ

FUCK GRIMES

>the last grimes thread was the first in like 15 that died before 310 posts
the end of an era.

are we gonna go back to these threads dying at 15 posts and being plagued by montie and bjork posters?

thanks for the bump montie

I will never ever not hate those glasses.

First of all
>Flesh colored anything
Eugh.

Second of all the shape of those lenses make me angry and I don't know why.

Halfaxa took me like 3 listens before I actually got it but now that I did it's amazing. I'd probably even put it above Art Angels.

I think her older stuff is complete trash to be honest. I'm not as autistic as you waifufags but Grimes is one of my favorite modern female musicians yet I think everything before Visions is pretty much trash

I'm open to being proved wrong though

Still in the wrong thread.

It's funny, cuz neither did I (her earlier stuff still sounds amazing to me if I just sit back and relax into the listening experience.) But after reading all her comments about how it's riddled with technical problems, I start getting distracted looking for them.

What do you like from Visions?

I actually agree with you she didn't find her voice until Visions

I think Grimes is pretty cool but these threads are sad

her older stuff is not as accessible as newer, it requires a couple of listens
i started to listen to grimes with Art Angels and i still like it a lot, but now i think my favorite grimes album is halfaxa, which i didnt really like for the first time

plebs
halfaxa > art angels > geidi primes > visions = darkbloom

Just starts the first track on Halfaxa

Will report back later

>listen to something better
no

i have not listened to a single grimes track aside from that one video with a bunch of reversed footage of girls doing makeup and shit

what album should i listen to first

Art Angels

she probably likes them considering the fact that she likes industrial and hip-hop

also
>pop music is inherently bad
>"appropriation"
>caring about the physical appearance of an artist

all your reasons are shit desu

Kys Montie pls :)

blame the dumb right-wingers that have migrated here from Sup Forums, Sup Forums, Sup Forums, etc.

the fears about losing their status as the most privileged members of society is at loggerheads with grimes portrayal of a strong independent modern female.

she is what they fear most and with good reason.

They probably have some wierd kink about wanting to be kicked in the balls by her or something, by trying to annoy her.

I'm the classical musician who's been butting into these threads of late (since first seeing Grimes live) and there is so much going on in Halfaxa (especially during the latter half of the album) both sonically, based on my formal theoretical music training, and emotionally, based on my readings about its inception, that I've recently had to stop listening to it because it is so emotional.

I've listened/performed music by most of the greats and over never had this experience before - it's why I'm convinced she's a fucking genius.

Redpill me on Grimes. What are her best songs?

California

Fuck off Montie. Literal autist.

my current top 5:
heartbeats
realiti
nightmusic
rosa
artangels

How is her music any better than Marina & The Diamonds, Lana Del Ray, or Halsey?

Don't thank that (f/m)aggot.

She does damn near everything by herself including the production

Can you say that about the talent(less) in your post?

her music is way more complex, engaging, and sincere than any of them. lana del ray is ok, dont care for marina, and halsey is fucking garbage

Nightmusic
Realiti
Be a Body
World Princess Part II
Rosa
Weregild
Devon
Oblivion
Genesis
Symphonia IX
Kill V. Maim
Artangels
Angel
David
Circumambient
Venus in Fleurs
Sagrad

It just sounds better. It's also more emotional.

IMO this specific (live!) studio performance of Heartbeats may be the single most powerful piece of music she will ever create.

With that said - I'd say that if you're more of a "mainstream" music listener you should start with her most recent album (Art Angels) and work yourself chronologically backward from there. If you're more of an "alternative" music type, do the opposite - start with Geidi Primes and then work your way forward.

Thank you very informative and well-written opinion

Try harder. It took me quite a long time to get into her early stuff and now I love it. Don't dismiss it so quickly.

PS: Forgot link.
youtube.com/watch?v=3Ci0tAdP7NY

>blame the dumb right-wingers
Nah, I'll blame the garbage waifufags that populate the majority of these threads

Grimes is def. a genius. Visions is her masterpiece tho.

Fuck off

Who the fuck do you think the waifufags are?

In what way the waifufags affect you, you sensible moron? They're harmless. The solution is simple: don't visit the Grimes threads. Problem solved.

I like Pin a lot.

The chorus is nice

Rate Grimes moves.

Did you catch the Fleetwood Mac reference?

I agree. Listened to Halfaxa, still don't get the appeal in pre-Visions Grimes

>tfw grimes will never bully you and generally be mean in between short bouts of apologia and kindness

post grimes track for this feel.

Vanessa

>Oh, I've been waiting desperately
>And my heart is here right next to me
>And I'm caught waiting in the rain

>And I know and I need you in the storm
>And I, oh I, oh I

>Hey hey, you wanna play
>'Cos baby I can go and go
>And every other day you're running off with so and so
>Well, baby I would throw you if I didn't know you but I'm paying for it

youtube.com/watch?v=2-aWEYezEMk

this maybe?

fuckin ay

Nice coincidence.

perfection, lads

>mfw the song is written in a way that it works for the feel whether you interpret it as written from her standpoint or yours

After all these years,thats still my favorite Grimes.

You might enjoy this video.

vimeo.com/34822306

It's my favorite Grimes too. She was starting to get her music career on track and improving as a person, but she still hadn't dealt with the issues that slammed her into the niche of awkward weirdo outcast.

>In the video you directed for the song “Vanessa” there’s a heavy use of reverse motion. The physical language of the face-painters and dancers appear unnatural yet completely intuitive. What attracted you to this contrast? If you could re-live a moment in your life in reverse motion what moment would that be?
>I just love things that are unsettling…and I feel like backwards motion really accomplishes that because you still see the image, it’s just slightly unnatural but not super overt or in your face. I feel like backwards vocals accomplish the same effect. Backwards vocals to me always sound like demons, people moving backwards always look like demons.. Like, in twin peaks, when they’re in hell or whatever, and everyone walks backwards and speaks backwards. It’s so sinister.. but I love the contrast with like, the beautiful girls. Or undoing the make up. I love the undoing of something. Going back in time. But yeah, if I could live a moment in reverse motion? I’d like to watch some kind of physical injury undo itself. That would be so amazing. Wow, that would be a great thing to shoot, actually.

Holy smokes, that so cute! I see genuine happiness. And finally I know where that gif of her in the kitchen came from. Oh and the guy in the car with her is pretty adorable too.

>The guy in the car with her is pretty adorable too
Do not compliment the Seb.

it's probably Seb talking about himself

>Implying Seb has said anything nice about Grimes since she refused to be his cash cow
And to think he threw away that friendship that they had since the 6th grade all because he was too greedy. That's what I call a royal fuckup.

I was commenting solely on his looks. Not his cold dead heart or rotten soul.

>You mentioned that you have a clearer idea of what The Avalanches are now. But a big part of The Avalanches back around the time of Since I Left You was this youthful rebellion – fucking around and breaking stuff on stage. How do you keep that spirit as you get older?

>It’s a really good question. As you grow older, you enter your thirties, you have to fight to keep that spirit alive. It’s easy to slip into routine and lose that spark. That’s part of the music making process, and the role new music plays, being inspired by hearing a new artist and how they go about something. Even if it’s completely stylistically different – the way Grimes just owns her shit, does it all herself with this DIY thing going on. You need that inspiration every day when you sit down to work, to wake you up and shake you up and break you out of your routine.

Thoughts?

Symphonia IX (my wait is u) is a fuckin tune, mate

It has pop sensibility and she actually sings. Songs just feel more full and structured. Not necessarily better but that's how I see it

Agree. This live version is fantastic: youtube.com/watch?v=YSWwVYuqsVM

she and seb look kind of uncomfortable there, don't know why

is that a self portrait?

i can absolutely imagine thats how she sees herself. it would certainly explain why she doesn't understand why people say she's cute.

yes
flickr.com/photos/claireboucher

and about the "cute" thing, I think she speaks about not seeing her way of being as cute, not her face, or maybe I'm wrong

What would you do if you found out she was a furry?

What an asinine question (go ahead - look it up.)

build time machine and abort her with a hammer

She's got nice cleavage here

I looked it up and I couldn't find any information on the subject.

Is she or isn't she?

this though

>Anthony Fantano disliked the lyrics song that calls out critics
>MFW it's almost universally loved by everybody who isn't a critic

fantano is just 1 person with 1 opinion.
it's OK to look at critics and their viewpoints
but don't forget to make your own

I don't listen to critics to form opinions, I always form my own. I just watch fantano because I think he's pretty funny (on his thatistheplan channel, at least)

I was laughing because I think it's funny that the critic doesn't like the song that calls out critics. Even though he's not exactly like pitchform critics and appreciates grimes' art for her art and not because she's his waifu or some shit.

oh oke

you're autistic

if the music is shit it doesn't make it better that it was made by a single person

why would I watch a shit movie just because one person made it? that's so stupid

I don't like his opinions about Grimes, but Fantano is quite entertaining as a critic.

>if the music is shit it doesn't make it better that it was made by a single person
Except that her music isn't shit. Your taste is probably shit, I can't guarantee it. So, liking it or not, Grimes makes great music.

So, great music + made by a single person + great personality + nice appearance = Grimes. It's easy.

for you****

I don't agree with his opinions about Grimes, but I can certainly respect them.

He gives his honest opinions about her artwork, nevermind the politics and all the drama that people stir up around her. He just focuses on the art and he doesn't diminish it in any way.

That's all Grimes has ever asked of critics, which you would assume is a reasonable assumption. In fact, she's mentioned before that she held this assumption some years ago.

But well, I don't have pic related saved as filename for no reason. People would rather talk about how she doesn't shave her legs or whether or not they'd fuck her rather than discuss her artwork. Critics love to take everything she posts on the internet to run clickbait on her words, driving her away from her fans because she can't say shit without the media turning it into some kind of news cycle.

I'd be downright frustrated with everybody BUT people like Fantano if I was Grimes.

It's sad that some critics / listeners treated Grimes like shit just because she's a woman with strong opinions.

Fantano was decent with his reviews about her albums. He focused on the actual music, what he liked and what he disliked, not political bullshit.

Sometimes I wonder why the fuck some people are so mad at Grimes? What she did wrong to them? They seem very annoyed by the fact she exists.

what a rock n roll baby gurl!

His Visions review is honestly embarrassing, but yeah, he can be very entertaining.

I think it's funny (in a sad way) that people make a big fuss about her opinions when she always tries to separate her politics from her art, and she DOES.

Her art is mostly apolitical, the only exception I can think of is California and she's completely fucking justified and correct in it. It's not her opinion or anything, but expressing her frustration that the media makes this huge fuss about something that she doesn't overtly go out and share.

>Sometimes I wonder why the fuck some people are so mad at Grimes? What she did wrong to them? They seem very annoyed by the fact she exists.
I don't know either and it doesn't make any sense. She's always been super friendly, super nice and she has a good heart. FFS her twitter bio is links to charities to help displaced refugees and anti-whaling organizations.

And yet despite this fortress of positivity that she's put up, people seem determined to try and tear it down for no good reason other than maybe they take it's very existence as a challenge?

I weep for Grimes. At the core of it all she's just a shy dork with an affinity for anime and musical talent. She's extremely opinionated and aggressive but she keeps it out of the public spotlight in good taste. She wants people to talk about Grimes, not the awkward nerd known as Claire. And yet despite doing nothing but the right things in her career people still want to drag Claire out of the dark kicking and screaming and most seem to just ignore Grimes. It's infuriating as a fan.

>displaced refugees and anti-whaling
thats why ::)

I have so much shit to say on this truth and why it's 100% disgusting but it's not grimes related and doesn't belong on Sup Forums

So instead have this picture of 2012 Grimes.

no worries my man, im just winding you up :+)

baby baby baby gurl...