What the heck is point of synths?

Why use them?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WVRAPIXzb1o
youtube.com/watch?v=coPcRW1Xm2g
youtube.com/watch?v=wBwUJMZNOgQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

To make music

what would you suggested??? use a small bitmap screen and only navigate with a tiny cursor?

>what would you suggested
Maybe lute or a hurdy gurdy. Just something. Anything than a synth.
I disagree

To make new sounds and to play them. You could never make something like this with classic instruments: youtube.com/watch?v=WVRAPIXzb1o

>To make new sounds and to play them
how gay

(You)

>I disagree
well it's you against the entire music industry of the past 25 years

thanks
i dont like it i would rather have stopped t b h my man

stopped what? technology?

I think technology was never meant to be integrated in music. Music should remain a purely human art. Tech just removes that.

This is now a synth gear thread

but everything is a waveform brah

>that pic

just look at that piece of machinery trash. Looks so fucking ugly and stupid. Looks like it belongs in toys r us. Its stupid and dumb i hate it.

>I think technology was never meant to be integrated in music
>I think cars were never meant to be integrated in society (they kill people)
You can't stop the technology. And by the way: the classic instruments? Technology too. Just because they're not electronic it doesn't mean technology wasn't involved. Just look how the guitars, pianos, violins, harps, flutes, saxophones are made. It's all technology.

Do you know the main similarity between synths and those classic instruments? They both produce sounds.

everything made by humans is technology. a guitar is technology, so is a piano, so is any other instrument. is this bait?

but the same processes used to create the first musical scales were also used to create the first computers.

so all instruments are out of the question then and only the human voice counts as true music?

no because instruments were made with mother nature

That would be stupid. The voice is also technology made by the nature: the way the air from the lungs vibrates creates soundwaves, just like guitars, drums, synths, violins, pianos, whatever. It produces a sound? It's an instrument. Period.

That doesn't count. Technology alone was required to make what was at the time of their creation very high tech musical instruments.

>all these synthnerds dogpiling me

You know what i meant. I still think synths are dumb and are for autists. I just don't like the eerily uncanny sound they make that's all.

i don't think so like that

human nature is only thing real
like the trees in the forrest

rock lmao

>eerily uncanny sound
i believe some people live for that

I'm afraid that you're delusional. Study more about sounds.

>falling for the bait
shame on Sup Forums

This boy scared of spooky sounds.

most people have a difficult time understanding this, so i'll pretend i'm talking to a 5 year old...

digital synths precisely produce and cut out the frequencies that they are programmed to
this creates a perfect sound, something that humans subconsciously pick up on, it sounds slightly uncanny
(this can be used to great effect for example opn's music)

with analog synths, the sound is produced by an electrical signal running through a circuit. it is imperfect. similar to the imperfect sounds humans have accustomed to over the years, guitars, pianos, etc. the tiny changes in the electrical signal mimic the vibrations produced from a plucked string, avoiding this uncanny feeling, which ruins many overproduced tracks nowdays

am i making sense?

i don't need to use your tech to study sound

i am sound

They're not. You can produce really amazing sounds. A random example from Autechre: youtube.com/watch?v=coPcRW1Xm2g

These are the new sounds I talked about.

You are wrong. Sorry, man. Try again

idc richard agrees with me

>what is the point of things i dont like?
>why do people like them?

This thread is retarded and you are retarded.

You should feel bad.

crying

>a child's outlook on waveform synthesis

ITT: guy with limited knowledge of music involving synths talks out of his ass and gets btfo

You are right. Sorry, man. Great job.

heeeey

i no sound i am sound

That's cuz ur a dummy

says the guy who posts an ELO album

>Jupiter-8
>Jupiter-6
>Jupiter-4
>Elka Synthex
>Alesis Andromeda
>Sequential Prophet 5
>ARP 2600
>bigass wall of MOTM
Can I just murder this guy and have his studio please?

Literally 99% of modern popular music uses them. They're fantastic tools in which you can modulate sound to whatever you like. Impressive instruments that require lots of technical knowledge, skill, and time to use properly, just like any other instrument.

what's your issue with them?

OP here

Im gonna leave this thread but this just proves my point about synths. Also I now know synthnerds are a bunch of bullies so thanks alot.

Please don't kill me.

>what's your issue with them?
I just do not like the sound of them. They sound hostile to my ears and unhuman. Like a Jinn is whispering in my ears or something.

>I still think synths are dumb and are for autists
yes, that's right, it was OTHER people that brought the discussion down to this level and certainly not you. douche lol

nice try

I OP

see broke english?

>but this just proves my point about synths.
How? You didn't even have a cohesive point to begin with.

Besides, what attitude were you expecting from Sup Forums? A pat on the back for being an idiot?

so was everything else, where are you arbitrarily drawing the line? are electric guitars real instruments or only acoustics?

anythign electric is bad

Why are these questions even worth asking?

I know what you mean. Like, it is 2016, why would anyone want to use hardware synths anymore? Working ITB makes so much more sense, both physically and financially.

so you dont listen to any recorded music?

>obligatory jelly poorfag post

>i cant afford to make it, so no one should enjoy the unique aesthetics of analog music

It's funny coz the electric guitars are like simplified synths.

Not really. Ive already been down that hardware road and it was a shitty one.

whats your soundcloud?

>getting upset about some dude's opinion and workflow

Buying a microkorg and trying a floor model of a budget monosynth doesn't really count.

Make sure you leave room for cream.

>Wizz
>warp
>boing
>fart

why ask that

pointing out flaws in logic does not make me upset
quite the contrary

People like this actually exist

I don't do SoundCloud. I release direct to cassette.

>purposefully being edgy
>then posting this garbage
Try harder poorfaggo

;)

Yeah, you're right. Sorry man. Have fun with your hardware

you are a terrible liar

i want to hear the embarrassing hip hop beats you made in flstudio by following a youtube tutorial

well this thread did get a lot of replies

i appreciate your honesty and i will

few people tho

Hold on, lemme get it for you

Is MySpace ok? Or does it have to be SoundCloud?

>falling for the analog meme

w e w

>implying that all itb isn't shit taste
I bet you drink natty too, since it's the cheapest shit there is

really?

i'm edgy because after 21 years of being spat on and then told to just fucking deal with it,

i've had enough?

that constitutes edginess in your opinion?

sounds like retribution to me. your misconstrued rhetoric is of no weight.

see, the danger with shitting on a person for their whole life is that at a certain point,

said person stops fearing the shit. they've become so accustomed to it, that it becomes

impossible to control them, and they won't cling to your societal imposed status-quos for fear

of being shit on anymore, because said shit is all they know

don't understand yet? that's ok. just wait. wait, and in the meantime just keep shitting on

people, and eventually you'll understand first-hand what i'm talking about, and what happens

when a man is pushed to the brink

'nothing in the world is more dangerous than a desperate man'

Instruments are technology. If music was "pure" in the way you're describing it would have to be entirely singing and whatever sounds you can make with your body

Looks kind of like Vince Clarke's studio.

youtube.com/watch?v=wBwUJMZNOgQ

can someone re-create these textures itb? please try

Synths make a massive, increasing range of sounds.

"Eerily, uncanny" describes a pretty minuscule portion of that range

look at this fucking guy

Is this what analog synths do to people?

>tfw little robots fart

I wouldn't be cool with nursing Vince.

Why can't it belong to Trent Rezner or that bald guy from the Smashing Punpkins?

>farts and burps instead of kicks
>coughs instead of snares
user I think you just came up with a whole new genre

I'm pretty sure that's just a side effect of being British.

Making that face while using a computer.

>nursing
10/10 autocorrect
Supposed to be murdering, but honestly nursing sounds much better

Ayyy

Vince is pretty based. You'd die of expectations if you took over.