/p4k/ - Nightly Pitchfork Countdown Hypetrain Thread

Fellow Pitchfork patricians, it is once again the time for our nightly countdown for Pitchfork's new reviews to be updated on the site at 1am eastern time.

10.0?
0.0?
Best New Music?
Best New Reissue?
8.0+ with no BNM?
A shitty set of 7's and below?
Weird Al’s eternal BNM incoming hypetrain!
Noctourniquetcourtsney Barnett Review?
Titus Andronicus being robbed once again?
Dead Sara finally getting an 8.3 BNM?
Ian FUCKIN' Cohen?
Ryan "THE TASTEMAKER" Dombal?
Lindsay "qt feminist" Zoladz? [retired patrician, memory lives on forever]
Jayson "8.7" Greene?
Larry "retired BNM godfather" Fitzmaurice?
Craig "Meme Rap" Jenkins? [taking the Big Apple’s publications by storm]
Brandon “Meme Metal” Stosuy? [retired, metal albums still won't get BNM, everyone still won't care]
qt Kim "retired Meal Goddess now at Noisey" Kelly?
Grayson "Grizzly" Currin?
Brian "Backup" Howe?
Mark "the elder statesman" Richardson?
Evan "IS GARAGE ROCK DEAD" Minsker?
Meaghan “retired trap queen" Garvey?
Andy "secretly alpha" Beta?
Zoe "¡DALE!" Camp? [retired, will probably still get asked to show feet]
Philip "Electronic Wizard” Sherburne?
Stephen "M." Deusner?
Laura "Sun Kil Buffoon" Snapes?

Will someone dethrone Radiohead/Chance the Rapper’s 9.1 for AOTY?

OFFICIAL and accurate 2016 BNM Tally: 28
Nights since last BNM: 5

The most wonderful time of the night, every night, right now. Here it is, the nightly P4K thread. Time to get comfy.

>P4K Collection Rar (Over 300 deleted reviews, pics of every staff member, now slightly updated)
mega.nz/#!l1ZlRbqb!WYbGuia29w1_fpg05XS3F9Rtb8aFfj8WzZg8Z3mbwRQ

>Tonight's Top Stories
-This thread stands with Kesha eternally
-Frank Ocean teases release date for his next album
-Wildflower is out. Thoughts?
-This thread hypes and supports DIIV, BadBadNotGood, and The Avalanches.
-/p4k/ forever

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2XiYUYcpsT4
badbadnotgoodil.bandcamp.com/album/iv
rateyourmusic.com/list/VelvetDarkness/every_album_to_be_rated_10_0_by_pitchfork_media/
pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/178-source-tags-and-codes/
twitter.com/p4kshill/following
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Wildflower is out. Thoughts?
For me it's RAM all over again wrt to all the positive scores/reactions. I legitimately don't get it - I thought the album was a total slog and pretty mediocre. Not gonna shove this in anyone's faces cause i'm glad loads of fans are happy with it, but.....

I'm saying 8.7 from Pitchfork btw

Avalanches 8.4 BNM
>tattoo this on your dick

Last two digits are Wildflower's score

95/10
dear fuck

Same score as SILY, noice.

spot fucking on
Tonight Avalanches will get 8.5-10 BNM
Snoop Dogg 6.x
dont care about the rest

This thread stands with Michael Gira, Freddie Gibbs, Afrika Bambaataa, Heathcliff Berru, Leslie Rasmussen, Gustavo Guerra & Dr. Luke -- and rejects the rape culture hysteria of Meagan Garvey, Amber Coffman, Bethany Cosentino, Larkin Grimm, Ke$ha, et al.

So Frank Ocean when guys?
Less than 23 days, we know this much

november is what the library card says

When asked about it, he confirmed it will be this month

source

What's everyone listening to?

cnn. world's on fire.

Dead Sara - Pleasure To Meet You 8.3 BNM

RAM is an excellent touchstone, yeah. Fans love it, magazines praise it, most people don't think twice about it

what does he listen to??

pic related

thought this thread would be bumpin' being that it's the Avalanches night

youtube.com/watch?v=2XiYUYcpsT4

Dammit AllMusic, where's all the artists I anticipated to be on the chart? You know damn well (you don't actually) that...

Tonight is deadline night! Whatever albums on this chart are not reviewed by Pitchfork by 1 AM eastern time tonight will be marked "BITCHFORK".

So... Who's getting it tonight?

stop this meme please, this is accurate 0% of the time

i like your meme, bro. ignore this wet blanket .

Reminder that Avalanches will get a 10 tonight
I knew Independent would too.

thee oh sees

but they review new stuff tomorrow night, too. why are those BITCHFORK?

album with a track like frankie sinatra deserves a 10/10

Friday is the day that most new albums come out. By Saturday at 1 AM, a whole bunch of new albums will outdate the ones on the previous chart, making them (in my eyes, anyway) "hypeless" and unimportant to reviewers.

It sounds stupid, but there's gotta be some kind of schedule

miseducation getting a 10 on sunday, screenshot

this is an interesting idea, but have you considered using a different source other than allmusic?

Every masterpiece has that one Ringo song mate

I haven't, really. It seems like AllMusic compiles all the (important) new releases faster than other publications, but if there is another website, I'd be happy to know about it

DEAR TOMMY WHEN

WILDFLOWER TONIGHT?

Yes

It's honestly a 10/10 for me. It makes me so happy to be young and alive.

How close to release does Pitchfork put out a review for an album?

Do you think Wildflower's review will be up by tonight?

I agree user! Thought it was perfect from first listen, haven't changed my mind.
Holding onto my opinion like Bill Cosby's wife. Even through the NME pan.

BEACH HOUSE = AOTY

It all depends on the circumstances and the specific album. Of course they will review Wildflower. It has been streaming since July 1st. In this case, as they have in other cases, they are waiting for the release date.

Yes, it came out a week early on Apple Music, and today is the official release date. They've had a week.

Hey, that's my prediction! I also guess 8.7 BNM.

i actually have a feeling pitchfork will give it a 10
based on how they normally critique albums of this type, this one is begging for it.

No snark - I'm happy you're satisfied with it, mate. I have pals who are huge fans and they never thought the album would even come out.

It'll definitely be interesting to see if/how perception changes about it over time.

Cool, thanks.

badbadnotgoodil.bandcamp.com/album/iv

its out finally

its out

are the avalanches black, women or trans?

To be honest famille, I have no idea of what their score will be. I love the album. I'm feeling a 9.4, personally, but I predict the cucks at Condenastfork will give it an 8.9

One of them looks like they're from SEA. Does that count?

will pitchfork review sufjan stevens - stalker?

lel fek no, they didn't even report on it. Maybe in the future, idfk.

they never dissapoint

Yeah, it's pretty rad. I'm loving the track with Kaytranada, the title track, and the one near the end with the Charlotte girl. I was surprised when I found out she's white. A hell of a voice.

It would be so awesome if they give it a 10 but I don´t think so.
They are trying to be really "foward thinking" spaming with soulless hip hop and shitty mixtapes made by black people from the u.s.a.
The next 10/10 they will ever give will go to Frank Ocean or Kendrick or Kanye or maybe someone they have been hyping to death (preferable someone from the united states and with some preachy shit message.)

God please make it higher than SILY. I want Bitchfork to just blow the haters away and skew the fuck out of that Metacritic score.

Kaytranada track sounds like something off of Jaco's "Word of Mouth" album, I love it. I didn't think I would like this more than III, but it's rapidly growing on me.

has anybody talked to tsk-a tsk-a tsk or whatever the 6.8 guys name was

How often does Pitchfork gives a newly released album a 10?

What are the chances of them giving Wildflower a 10?

last release 10 was MBDTF

Never. Just Kanye and Wilco iirc.

>trip opens new tab
>leave all fields blank
>has anyone seen [tripfag]
>5 mins later; use secure tripcode
>wat do everyone it's me [tripfag]

They used to do it more frequently, but there hasn't been one since MBDTF. There's a list here: rateyourmusic.com/list/VelvetDarkness/every_album_to_be_rated_10_0_by_pitchfork_media/

God damn.

I do this all the time

t. not noko

I think there's some more but not many at all in the last ~15 years. You know, Kid A, The Soft Bulletin, a few others.

Wow, they don't fuck around with handing out the tens, huh?

Happy BDC eve! Are you guys ready for new Frank tomorrow?

Are they automatically updated or does someone actually manually update it?

also Source Tags & Codes by ...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead

they did it a few more times in their very early years, but those don't really count, espeically the Walt Mink and 12 Rods records

i guess Kid A can count, too, but the others are pre-2000, babby p4k.

Then they won´t give a 10 to the avalanches.
If they were a controversial celebrity black person they would. Shit.

What are some albums you guys like that p4k absolutely trashed? personally i like panic at the discos first album. p4k gave it a 1.5

predicting high 8 low 9 for wildflower

Avalanches 9.1 incoming

This is the year of the 9.1, like last year was the 9.3

But they have an Asian guy

pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/178-source-tags-and-codes/

>Source Tags and Codes will take you in, rip you to shreds, piece you together, lick your wounds clean, and send you back into the world with a concurrent sense of loss and hope. And you will never, ever be the same.

jesus fucking christ

memes have gone too far

twitter.com/p4kshill/following

8.5 BTFO

>8.5
>8.5
>8.5

8.5 :(

AVALANCHES 8.5 BNM

Guys, why are you taking so long to react?

>The Avalanches return with their first new album in 16 years.

That's it, huh? That's all you're gonna say about that? I guess they weren't interested in this album

K E K

E

K

that's so much more than it deserves, fuck p4k

NIGHTLY RUNDOWN
The Avalanches 8.5 BNM by Mark Richardson
Nite-Funk 7.8 by Kathy Iandoli
Nils Frahm / Woodkid 6.3 by Kevin Lozano
Gojira 7.6 by Zoe Camp

Here, in the Central Time Zone, where Pitchfork IS FUCKING LOCATED, the front page doesn't update until 12:03 AM

oh shit mate thanks for the heads up would've totally missed it

Just wait, in 20 years the reissue will get a 9.8
Screencap this

suicide watch, pan of the century, etc

8.5 is more than generous for having that awful rapping

no 9.x ;____;

nice to see a Zoe review though

Nah, it does the same for me. However, I found that if you switch between the "All Reviews" tab and the "Best New Albums" tab it loads it loads it quicker. At least by 1:01.

Not commenting on the score, but the review is really great and not laden with any pretension.

>The stable of vocalists underscores another way the Avalanches play with time: the guests are mostly members of Generation X, who arguably made their best music during the Bill Clinton era. Which, when combined with the fact that collage music built from dense samples is technique closely identified with the ‘90s, gives the album a weird funhouse-mirror quality. Nostalgia moves in 20-year cycles, which means the ‘90s sampling artists the Avalanches were inspired by were drawing from the ‘70s. So Wildflower’s references are doubled: the original music is sliced and diced and processed and filtered through a sensibility that emerged two decades later, and then that feeling is reflected once again into the present moment, two more decades later.

Interesting observation.

Websites don't update at different times in different time zones. That isn't how the internet works.

The front page updates slower than the review page for everyone, that's the one you should f5.

Well, that was disappointing.

Eh, I feel that's about right.

I fucking love Mark Richardson.

I actually agree and I usually despise this publication. The score is maybe higher than I would given but it's fair and proper context is given. Couldn't agree more that the rappers (especially Danny Brown) mostly disappoint, though the Camp Lo verses are great.

Dunno what she's on about Clint Eastwood, though, that song is great.

Pretty close senpai