I want to try and get into Animal Collective but every song i hear by them sounds like it was written by 4 complete...

I want to try and get into Animal Collective but every song i hear by them sounds like it was written by 4 complete autists.

What am i doing wrong and what album do i start off with?

STGSTV and chronological

What have you listened to from them?

You should be a music critic.You're so articulate.

Parts of Painting With & Feels

Maybe you should try Strawberry Jam or Campfire Songs

don't listen to them, you're clearly a bitch and the anco fanbase on here is already overly negative

PW is their worst album, you shouldn't have started with that.

>the anco fanbase on here is already overly negative
what do you mean?

there's too many people who are willing to describe animal collective's music as autistic, or argue over who has the best taste because they know which albums/eras are best for the band, even though its completely subjective and all their work is 7+/10. I don't know.

I would personally start with Feels, but you said you didn't like it, so maybe try Strawberry Jam. I don't recommend STGSTV to start with.

Yeah, I understand. I just don't pay them mind because they'll call you underage or a redditor otherwise, and they never have an actual argument for why they dislike anco. At least op is trying to get into them though

I actually like PW. Still one of their worst, but it's pretty good

i guess im just still a little upset about the reaction to painting with. its a really great and creative record, but people on this site are too quick to hop on the "oh, this album is getting bad reviews let's trash it in every thread we have an opportunity to trash it in" bandwagon. Same thing happened with the new avalanches, but now that it got BNM from pitchfork the shitposting has died down considerably.

>Want to get into a band
>Everything you've heard from this is shit
Why try and get into them then?

>its completely subjective and all their work is 7+/10. I don't know.
Yeah, I'd wager you don't know if you have a problem with people arguing about which albums they prefer on the grounds of it being subjective and then go on to say that everything they've ever done is at least 7/10.

what i'm trying to say is if you're a fan, you like their stuff. that's what fans do. you don't try and prove youre the biggest "MOST PATRISH XD" asshole with the best taste by trashing the work of a band who you purport to be a fan of.

Sounds like you're just overly sensitive. This is Sup Forums. People aren't going to hold back and if you're going to get butthurt when someone disagrees with you, you should consider posting on reddit instead.

why do people generally not like Here Comes the Indian?

this is pretty true tbqhwu
op if you dont like them you dont like them, you cant expect to like every band

see keep fulfilling stereotypes for the sake of our lol so edgy internet culture! everyone loves Sup Forums because were all so mean XD

It's their best album, but it's one of their most inaccessible

Well it's true. Part of the appeal of this website is that you don't get too many hug boxes. Most people see that as an opportunity to try and argue about their opinions in an attempt to better understand what they think or change their beliefs if convincing counter arguments are presented. The vast majority of insightful or interesting posts I see on Sup Forums come out of arguments. usually ones where the people arguing aren't being pleasant to each other.
The difference on Reddit is that dissenting opinions get downvoted or deleted by moderators so seriously, if you don't want to have people disagreeing with you in an inflammatory way, you should go there instead.

I understand the logic behind that but I think the insightful posts you're talking about are really hard to come by. the majority of the negativity on this site has just bred stubborn motherfuckers who want so badly to have the "correct" opinion on something. Look at threads where people rate an artist's discography. There's no discussion there. Just people spouting opinions with no bases and calling one another fags or whatever. I think you're idealizing Sup Forums a bit in that you're deliberating about what the argumentative nature of the site could produce. but i think that in actuality the product is meaningful discussion maybe 5-10% of the time.

Part of the drawbacks of this website is that you gotta wade through rivers of shit to find those good discussions.
You just gotta get used to noticing threads where that discussion usually occurs and hide the rest. There's also an art to getting posters to engaging with an argument. Pissing them off is usually pretty effective.
Once you can actually browse Sup Forums efficiently, it starts behaving more like the idealised Sup Forums described. If you're going into shit threads like rate various artist's discog, /waifu/, 5x5/chart/look at my tastes and spoon feed me generals, etc. you're obviously going to see very little discussion but that's your fault for looking in the wrong places.

I felt the same way about a year back.

Now AnCo is my favorite artist by far.

Just give it another shot.

I listened to MPP first, and then STGSTV.

Maybe not objectively the best way to get into them but it worked for me desu.

I did Feels, then MPP, then person pitch. And then I was sold

I listened to mpp sj pw didn't really like it gave sung tongs ago thought it was ok, listened to sing tongs again and it just clicked and now I enjoy every single release they've done

The two songs that made AC click for me were Leaf House and For Reverend Green.

Both because they sound really weird and messy at first but then things fall into place and they start to sound beautiful. Works best in the context of the albums.

If you can, i reccomend getting into them during a weird or inportant or transitory time in your life so you can associate those memories with their music.
Thats how it went for me when i got into them and moved away to college

Sorry for the blog post

is this the anco thread?

>listen to prospect hummer on repeat just for the Woahhwoahwowahwowowoahhhh part