The weird frontier between pop and avantgarde

the weird frontier between pop and avantgarde
are these guys the saviors of music?

Other urls found in this thread:

tinymixtapes.com/music-review/arca-mutant
soundcloud.com/arca1000000/entranas
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

XD

The general consensus regarding painting or sculpure is that you can't simply paint/sculpt - there must be a concept behind it. Part of what I like about music is that you can say "I like this song" without having to explain why you like it or why it's significant to our time. Experimental music is moving in the other direction though, with OPs boys in the lead. I'm not saying a more concious dialog is all bad, but I hope it doesn't get as out of hand as the current state of the art world.

dont put that clown ferraro next to my boys dean blunt and opn thanks

ferrari is better than blunt tho

XD

There really isn't a way to explain why what any of them do is inherently good besides concept wise

Daniel and Arca are hacks.

Dunno who are the other two.

u take that back about danny

Kill yourself

no u

Of course, or arguably, but I mean that the concept is a really big part of their work (ok maybe not Arca as much as the rest?)

the only correct answer
james > arca > dean > opn

I agree with Arca and maybe OPN but it feels like Ferraro and Dean can't put out a project unless they have some concept in place beforehand they want to stretch out or some kind of social commentary to make

I guess that why I personally like Arca and OPN more, I think they take the music first approach as opposed to the other two

arca last two releases have been conceptual
and G.O.D. was also

Dean is definitely an artist first and a musician second. Still he touches all the right areas, BBF is a masterpiece

I know GOD was conceptual, also my favorite OPN project, but are you talking about Mutant and Xen? I didn't catch the concepts there

I'll admit I haven't kept up with Dean so Black Metal and Hype Williams are all I've listened to. I'll have to check Babyfather out

opn has said that he actually made the music for god first and sort of pieced the story/concept together after the fact. the concept was definitely secondary to the music, as that user was saying.

Mutant and the last mixtape which dropped week ago
you're right about the music first concept 2nd especially with opn and arca tho.
bbf is a mess idk what to call it. the meaning and music is meh especially the 2nd half of the album.

AOTY

in wake of brexit i'd say the the concept of bbf is more relevant than ever

I really don't get this

HS3 is not even top 3 Ferraro let alone worth a perfect score

True dean was a genius on predicting that
still haven't gotten my cassetteeeeeeeeeeeee

What are the concepts?

it was more of a 7/10 desu

they're in the mail guy
priority shipping ;)

tinymixtapes.com/music-review/arca-mutant
gl reading this messs

how does ferraro creates those awesome guitar lines on lamborghini crystal, on air, etc? is it software or is he a guitar player?

TMT is cancer and should be expunged or at least prevented from reviewing music

That review was fucking awful

I think all 4 artists have definitely made music that you don't need to engage with the concept of in order to enjoy, but dean blunt probably the least.

why? because they're doing something different? fuck you. there needs to be something different in music journalism.

And TMT is the answer?

Hahahahahahahaha

a lot of this seems rather tenuous tbqh. i'd agree that a lot of arca's "concepts" are more extramusical (mostly wrt kanda's artwork and videos, as well as how arca presents itself) but the way that translates to the actual music is kinda...weak. i mean:

>sonic equivalent in the malleability of his compositions, works that bend rhythm and willowy synths over textures spilling over one another perversely, cataclysmically, and serenely.
>for this mutation of embodiment through detachment from body, shown sonically in severed rhythms and grossly warped texture

this sort of thing is sort of par for the course in experimental electronic music, no? fucked and strange textures, disembodied and off-kilter rhythms, messing with ones perception of space etc is very commonplace and isn't super unique to this "concept".

*himself

fuck sorry. what a tragic typo lol

answer my question first

>clown
>not dean blunt and opn the conceptuals faggotrons
kys pleb ferraro they dont deserve to be on picture with based ferraro

can't, like, they all be good? it's nice when i like the music and it's nice when i like the concepts and it's real nice when i like both the music and the concepts.
i find arca more personal
i find dean more political
i find ferraro more socioeconomic-commentary-esque
and opn is the best with the whole vaporwavey "nostalgia" anachronism thing. i even felt that on GOD with the nu-metal influences

could just be me tho

I listen to every one of them except for Dean Blunt

I think Arca, OPN, Lotic, etc. all make music that bends and twistes in a very certain way, and I actually don't think it's that far-fetched what TMT makes of Arca's album.

it's not even hard to read or comprehend.

for me, opn and yung lean are similar in the way that they both contributed heavily to the nostalgic engagement with the kitschy mess that is the early noughties, which i very much enjoy

I really enjoy the music of Dean Blunt, but his last few releases were a little disappointing.

OPN I think has established himself as one of the most sophisticated and groundbreaking contemporary producers of electronic music.

As for Ferraro, a lot of his output is mediocre, some is bad, some is good, some I feel very ambilvalent about. I like him.

Arca is a cool producer but should not really be grouped in with those in my opinion. He jumped on the bandwagon, he didn't create the bandwagon.

He jumped on the bandwagon? And what exactly do you mean by this when his sound isn't even close to any of the other three?

the fuck am i reading?

>I didn't catch the concepts there
just read the title tracks & watch the videos m8

I've done both and still don't see it

modern body/gender/identity fluidity & their inner/external/social consequences
tldr. "lol we're posthuman fags"

not him but how does that translates into music?

I'm being over analytical and im sorry in advance if I cum across an idiot(which I am)

Arca concept isn't really his for say but atm in this gay electronic scene thats in ny and berlin. Alot of these live shows within that scene will be taking top 40 pop vocals and mixing it with violent screams of people dying or being tortured.As a way of reminding people that these hits people dance to and play in their car/club have trauma that artist experience to make those songs. and actually more depressing than some guy making emo
but im going offtopic. with xen you can say the concept was about arca being sad and confused his sexuality and mutant being his acceptance and revolt against the people in his country and friends who shamed him. even after that he stills get a ton of blacklash for being a male who wears high heels and such. which again isn't from arca but from his friend shayne who runs hood by air the shitty fast fashion thing.

The sounds on xen and mutant kinda reflect it and yes I know it's very weak

i, for one, like these threads

good explanation, and if anyone tries to argue with you, just show them your trips

this looks like it was written by a 15 year old.

imo one of the most amazing "scenes" in the recent years, and i'm not a ny transboi or something

This actually helped me connect the concept to the music

thanks user

trips have spoken.

GHE20G0TH1K nights showed alternative gay/lbgt club music (like arca, lotic, etc), more political than just house music that has been "stolen" by cis-het artists/crowds.

i'm sorry but your explanation barely touches on the original inquiry, "how does it translates to music?" it seems to me that the concept remains almost exclusively extra-musical (artwork, track titles, etc)

>context in art is irrelevant

if you can't hear sadness and confusion in xen or anger and determinancy in mutant you should listen to them a few more times.

>things I never said

i'm asking how the concept and extra-musical ideas translates into the actual work, music. james ferraro and dean blunt make their concepts abundantly clear through their music, with arca I can't say the same

lol that's it? confusion? i've listened to both of em dozens of times already, btw. i like the sounds, the concept seems bollocks

Ferraro, OPN, Dean Blunt. Who's the fourth cunt

listen how the sounds are twisted, sonically tortured, mixing euphoric moments & dramatic pauses at a rapid pace with shattering sounds of broken glasses and sensual synthetic noises, etc. it's so NOT subtle m8. Arca is the least subtle composer in this whole scene...

this is the first good thread i've seen about this guys in a while

lurk moar

Entranas is better than Mutant and Xen

Entra-what now?

soundcloud.com/arca1000000/entranas

the boy did it again

meh
only the second half is great when he starts "singing" in an haunting way

I'm so fucking HYPED for Reverie

lmao first these threads were opn circlejerks, then ferraro circlejerks, and now theyre arca cirlejerks

soon

thieving bastard :(

?

who the fuck buys cassettes? you deserve to be robbed 2bh

theyre butt buddies. make love not war.

can someone explain to me the appeal of Babyfather - BBF Hosted by DJ Escrow??! i don't get those weak beats & lazy compositions : is that just a post-ironical joke?

It's supposed to make you proud to be British

everybody who shits on blunt just hasnt heard the redeemer yet.

theres no way you can finish that album and not think hes a god.

I'm French tho... i guess I'll never get it

they all look like slobs
is there any /fit/ weird frontier musician?

he just makes really fucking great vibe music. i think ppl try to get too cerebral with his stuff in order to crack some code or find out some hidden intentions when they should just feel it desu

>his husbando isn't a qt slob
faggot

I don't think Blunt is bad, actually Black Metal is one of my favorites, but he's just not as good as the other three

dean isn't fat

it's mocking uk hip hop artist and nationalist

escrow represents a pirate radio who has his own problems at home but still has some kind of hope his "message" of being positive and weak rhymes will somehow give him success.
The art cover and stealth intro's and noise bits crack at the brexit folks who are promising the future generations something that will never come. the album cover of the hoverboard on top of the build makes that loud and clear. since in the past we thought hoverboards would be more than shitty scooters

overall the concept is good. the music itself besides couple songs is blunts weakest.

This. I'd rather have a nice car than weed

pic related needs to start getting added to these thread's header images

demon queen was really good.

statements like this make me sad. it's like a blind person saying sight is overrated because he doesn't have it.

You don't understand you fucking retar. Music is garbage if you can't 100% precisely describe it in words.

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture"
quote by some guy

What does everyone think of One Nation?

3rd fav hw besides untitled and find out what happens

Blunt shakes his head and laughs. “The devil known as Hippos In Tanks man,” he marvels. “Satan himself.” Hippos In Tanks was hypnagogic pop’s Altamont, a label that functioned as a high paying lightning rod for major thinkers like Blunt, James Ferraro and Daniel Lopatin of Games and Oneohtrix Point Never, while giving them access to visions of the kind of dark Babylonian capital and debauch that their music had previously only imagined.

"They was the ones who brought James and I together," Blunt explains. "But that man is the fucking devil. Shit goes wrong but I just remember a lot of weed and a lot of signing, no lawyers to look over it and I had to pay a lot of money to get them off my arse."

"They hooked us up with a gig at the 50th Birthday party of the guy who made e-cigarettes," he recalls. "He just got divorced from his wife and so he thought The Redeemer was helping him or something. He had this huge mansion in Fort Lauderdale in Florida, and James and I played at it, just non-stop white powder truth sessions. He had paramedics bringing us IV drips so we could keep going. Then on day two he had this thing called Fifty Is My Fantasy where he hired a bunch of ladies of the night and he rented this island and all his friends turned up and they basically ran through the forest hunting these women down like dogs. The whole thing was hooked up for us by Hippos In Tanks, it was fucking intense and all the time they were chasing these women, they were playing Billy Joel really loud across a PA system. It was totally surreal and kind of fucking disgusting really, but it was powerful, you know? Certain things are just bigger than judgement.”

lmao dean is a great storyteller

Normally I disagree with dismissing music as just being music for itself, but that's really the only way to appreciate Dean. Dude makes some nice music, but I see people trying to tie in the rise of PR and the psychoanalytic tradition of marketing and trying to staple it onto a Fleetwood Mac sample with some karaoke over it and it just doesn't stick. His solo work has a little more depth to it than HW, but I don't feel like he belongs with the rest in anything other than general aesthetic and label relations. At least not as much as - American Drift has more depth to it than Dean's entire career. Still love him though

Is he a genius?

I think so

so now we gotta do blunt next i guess

OH SHIT ITS THAT NIGGA DEAN