Yearly reminder that pic related is going to go on to get retrospective acclaim...

Yearly reminder that pic related is going to go on to get retrospective acclaim, and will be seen as "overlooked" in the near future.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=amLd9SV6PnA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>The album has since gathered a small cult following and has sold 422,000 copies by 2011.
>James Montgomery of MTV News has described Pretty. Odd. in retrospect as overlooked, writing that, "Give this one a decade ... we could have another Pinkerton on our hands," referencing the Weezer album that received a mixed response upon release but was heralded as a classic in later years.

yeah maybe. I enjoy pretty odd and fever but can't see this being acclaimed unless some upcoming popular artist give it props

a shit ELO desu

>Pretty. Odd. created fan confusion and received a mixed critical response, so much so that in 2011 Rolling Stone named the record among the top boldest moves in rock history at number 25.

fever had good songs but ehh

Wow its been a while since ive seen this meme

i liked them when i was in my faggot phase, guess i should give them a try again

Sup Forums used to go fucking crazy over this album. i hardly think it's overlooked

If they ended it there, maybe.
Instead they went right back to doing music for teenage girls
It'll be seen as an oddity (no pun intended) in their catalog like Dazzle Ships or 808s but it's not good enough to overcome their tarnished legacy

>they
the main driving force of this album quit after it was made. brendon was still great on it, though.
yeah the new music is pretty bad. but there were a few songs i liked on their 2nd to newest one.

Oh, I didn't know that. So Pretty Odd is more like their SMiLE then, in that it got their Wilson kicked out.
Maybe that guy will get a cult following, if he puts something else good out

alright now i remember why i stopped listening to this shit

arguably their pinkerton - Matt Sharp left the group afterwards and was apparently a big part of their sound.

blatant example of the classic rock nods signaling maturity trope

Definitely their best album, with fever close behind. This was the culmination of all the member's influence, and it shows. Despite the fact that it's not really Panic any more today, I really do enjoy all of their albums after this one (kinda hated them for making me like anything pop), with DoaB being fucking solid. But still, nothing will beat PO.

THIS. Its not even that mature, the songwriting is pretty derivative of Beatles, Beach Boys, and other 60's giants.

This record is pretty underwhelming

Yeah, but it had alot of influence the Beatles didn't have. The jazz aspects, the classic rock blues style lead guitar, the psychadelic and eastern psychadelic influence (and yes I know the Beatles were considered psych at one point, but alot of their "psychadelic" stuff was unfocused nonsense that passed as psych back then because it was weird sounding for the time.) The harmonies are stellar on the album, and the use of brass and woodwinds in insane. Really, it capitalizes on the Beatles sound, and does it better (it's a good few decades after the Beatles, mind you).

literally the most textbook 7/10 i have ever heard

The stacked harmonies are a highlight of the album. My personal favorite is "From a Mountain In The Middle Of The Cabins"
I think the record was just released too early on in their career and could have used more foreshadowing. But it's solid.

I mean they could have foreshadowed this sound with a few more releases in between.

I don't think they couldn've done much for this album commercially. It was the record they wanted to make, so they did. It's just such a stark contrast from fever's sound, nobody thought they wanted this kind of record from Panic at the time at all.

As deserving as it may be, I don't think this will grow in stature much. People just don't seem to care much
Pinkerton post-fame came because the circumstances were right place, right time, and the internet

Same. Most "panic fans" today listen to their 2 newest albums and have never looked back.

Guilty pleasure

She Had The World is GOAT

Nah man, I love it. There is no fluidity in the structure of the album, but each individual track is stellar as fuck. Fuckiiiin Collar Full!

It's their worst album to me IMO

Their newest album is the worst one. Holy fuck LA Devotee is the only good song in it

fuck why did ryan ross have to leave the band

Yeah, that's most people. Honestly, I'd probably say so too. It is more like a compilation of songs than an album, where the rest of their albums have actual structure.

imo v&v is their worst to me. boring pop rock with nothing outstanding to me.

He made this album, which i really enjoy:

Eh I feel like v&v was them trying to come back to their roots but not executing it that well. (Tried to sound likes the second half of fever with a mix of modern alternative)

You guys shouldve seen the shitstorm when it came out. The first album was bascially pop emo punk for middle school girls, and they all went crazy when Pretty odd came out

>umm what is this?? sounds like the beatles? wtf panic! stop making old people music, i like your old stuff better this sucks.

You guys should check out Young Veins, the offshoot band that lasted one album. I think Ryan just wanted to get that 60s vibe out of his system. It was made at the height of the "mono 60s so cool" era, and it shows. Cape Town and Vacation are good.

shitty pop punk with some DUDE BEATLES LMAO moments

I feel like in Death of A Bachelor he tries to mix too many genres together and it just ends up sounding messy as fuck

yeah. it's a shame because i really love the second half of fever and v&v was a major disappointment.
I Constantly Thank God For Esteban is so good

If this was released in the early 70's it would be Sup Forumscore

I only really like Mona Lisa, Let's Kill Tonight, and nearly witches. Rest is meh

Now thinking about it this might be their worst album because there were a lot more memorable moments in their last two albums them v&v

I guiltily love the danciness of v&v, and there's some really honey sweet sounding songs on the album, along with the powerful closing Nearly Witches. I love the unique sound of it, but it's no album to quench a fever you can't sweat out kind of thirst if that's what you're looking for.

jesus fucking christ the comments on that video

at the 14 year old Panic! tumblr kids got a hold of it

REally I think their first 2 albums are fantastic same goes for Fall Out boys first 4

This. After their return everything went to shit.

I'm really sad they didn't do some sort of 10 year repress for Fever, I really like the album and it's the one that got me into music but I don't $150 like it.

god that's a beautiful vinyl

Same user I wanted this album on vinyl but I'm not willing to pay hundreds for it I'm also pretty sure the second half would sound really good on vinyl

The Deluxe edition of Pretty Odd is lovely too

how much is it?

Just saw them live with weezer. Really upset that panic only did 3 total songs from the first 2 albums, but it was still great show

Where @? Michigan?

I hate his excuse for not playing more songs from pretty odd

Yes. Show was at DTE. Panic Weezer and the guy from Jacks Mannequin's new band

I actually liked V & V. Isn't that the last album where the majority of the band members were still there?

I'm not aware of this. Is it something along the lines of "it just isn't the sane w/o the other members"?

Why did they leave?

Pretty sure vv was urie and one other guy. Majority ditched after PO

The Young Veins are pretty good too.
But it's a shame we lost the charm of old Panic.
Kaleidoscope Eyes is a nice track though.

There's one for $270 right now on discogs

Ryan got bored.

V&V is way worse desu. Brendan's songwriting there was uninspired as hell (Mona Lisa was just IWSNT 2.0), and later stuff is more fun/vocally impressive.

>270
there's no way i could justify spending that much right now.
guess i'll just hope one's up around christmas

The excuse was Brendon said that most of the songs aren't fast enough to be exciting for the crowd so that's why he won't play them

I realized this after think about the last two albums and how I had more memorable moments with those two then V&V

I was just thinking about this meme the other day, thought it died

my ex said I might like this album because it has a Sgt Peppers vibe.

It is Sup Forumscore

Tfw I will never be part of a swaying crowd while everyone is belting out WAVES OF WOOD LEGS WAVES OF WOODEN LEGS

the imagery of this album is like a SFW ITAOTS

There's nothing NSFW about ITAOTS.

>semen stains the mountain tops
>as we would lay and learn what eachothers bodys were for
>over obsessing / romanticism toward an underaged holocaust survivor

Semen stains the mountaintops, user.
Semen stains the mountaintops.

could be mistaken for a weird snow metaphor.
not the least bit lewd, explicitly.
>love is NSFW

You forgot oh comely though.

>oh comely
Oh, true.

I would put this in a Sup Forums essential psychedelic pop chart

I remember showing my friend one of the tracks and being called gay

JUST