Keep the thread alive nigga edition

keep the thread alive nigga edition

>Production Resources:

>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
pastebin.com/jew3GPCZ

/prod/ IRC & Discord is up!
discord.gg/0wV1D4bx3283zPPS
To join, you can go to rizon.net/chat
Choose a nick, put #/prod/ as channel. Enter!
Or you can get a lightweight desktop client here hexchat.github.io/downloads.html

Remember to use clyp.it to post your tracks/WIP: posting a clyp.it is just providing sound for a question, posting a Soundcloud link is making self-advertisement and the thread doesn't need that.

Remember to check other peoples' clyp.it links to keep the thread healthy.

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/ioogrgjp
clyp.it/f2kgjds3
clyp.it/qv5y2le3
youtube.com/watch?v=7_KYEtspRa0
youtu.be/PItmtOKhH8E
youtube.com/watch?v=XJi9PZ2KdOM
youtube.com/watch?v=oGGGhWPHveQ
youtube.com/watch?v=lYpKYxozJ7c
youtube.com/watch?v=kPX3oUMmaDE
youtube.com/watch?v=h73kd6wsBq0
youtu.be/DY-xFP7HdEg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Hello, first time on /prod/, have some questions.
What's the difference between a mixing board (like pic related (Behringer Q1202USB Mixer)) and an interface?
I have a sm57 and I know it needs a lot of gain, do I go for a X2U adaptor or the thing in the pic will do the job?
Thanks for helping the noob.

behringer mixers are shit and definitely not an interface.

clyp.it/ioogrgjp

What can I do to sound gud

preamps, also behringer's are some of the worst preamps.

practice for the better half of a decade

I think I'm gonna main Bazille from now on.

Thanks, whoever recced it last thread.

clyp.it/f2kgjds3

made some sample heavy filter house even tho i'm not french

c'est la vie

morning bump courtesy of early sound design sessions

Behringer Xenyx series are actually fine since they bought out Midas and it's the same factory and people that make them. I can't honestly see Behringer fucking up that factory's part inventory and distributor chain just because "muh china parts."

clyp.it/qv5y2le3
How about some benzos and weed

New Behringer synth

youtube.com/watch?v=7_KYEtspRa0

I remember a rumor from a year or two ago that Behrigner was going to to a Juno revamp. Uli has also stated that making a polysynth was a goal of his. I can't wait to see how this pans out. Plus I probably won't even need to save money to get one.

Cheap polysynth would be very interesting

It's going to make a bunch of people mad though. I can already see the community on muff's slagging it because Behrigner
>It doesn't even come with a caviar module

Why?

French here
Don't make french touch again

[spoiler]I just don't like the genre do what you like i don't care[/spoiler]

yay

Sounds pretty neat.
At least it's not this

youtu.be/PItmtOKhH8E

holy shit where do i find more videos like that?

That's the only one I know of.
I don't know any synthesizer that's actually that bad. It's a shame because Akai used to do some cool shit back in the day. They came out with a couple of analog polys that had a special 6 voice sampler input, so you could plug in your Akai sampler into your Akai polysynth and give it a 3rd oscillator for each voice that was a sample.

most, if not all interfaces, are able to send a digital signal through USB/firewire to the computer. Interfaces are basically a fancy soundcard with some extra niceties. Most, but not all, have pre-amps (the thing that brings a weak acoustic signal from a mic/guitar lo workable levels)

newer mixing boards have the ability to send a digital signal through usb, firewire or spdif or w/e its called, and most are able to do multitrack recording. they also have pre-amps. Older models that lack usb/firewire or older formats do not have this ability. they just allow you to plug your instruments in and play them through a system. and older models that have USB 1.0 can only send a single stereo digital signal to the computer

if you aren't going to be tracking/multitracking recording a lot of synths/instruments/full band, go for an interface. If you want to do multitracking and to plug all your toys at once and do more itb mixing, get a mixing board with USB or Firewire (or thunderbolt if you like to waste your shekels)

Most mixers with USB only send a stereo mix, all the summing is done analog.

Real fully digital multitracking mixers cost a Fuckton

Nope, newer Alesis Multimix USB (2.0 version) are able to do full mutltrack recording. 1.0 version cannot do this

I own an even older Multimix Firewire model (12 channels) and I can do full multitrack recording, Got it used for $250

holy kek

Okay now I know you're just talking out of your ass.

That's the "USB" series - look up the "USB 2.0" models, 12 and 16 channel varieties and both can send any channels plus the stereo mix to the DAW, giving you 14 discrete channels on the 12 and 18 channels on the 16.

see

and my ancient Firewire 12 ch does multitrack as well

Yeah I might have got confussed with the 12 having a USB 2.0 option - might just be an 8 channel and 16 for those with the 12 having the same features with a FW interface.

Oh so you mean that mixer that you can't buy anywhere and many people seem to have troubles with.

That wasn't the point of my post. Reliability is a separate argument.

Well if you're going to argue semantics, I said most mixers, not all.

And I mostly meant most mixers one can actually find and use.

There is another one with the Tom Cat that is a kirby edit. lemme see if I can find it.

Noob question: I'm supposed to keep the reverb send channel 100% wet, right?

>damage control

I was replying to the post where the person who argued that Alesis made USB 2.0 mixers with multi-track recording was dismissed as "talking out of your ass." - the person making the dismissal was wrong and that's all there is to it, no semantic analysis needed.

>I have to have the last word in
>even though his point was that cheap multitrack mixers are largely unavailable hasn't been refuted

See

No. Have the tracks sending 100% to the reverb return track, then adjust the amount of reverb dry/wet on the return track.

this is really good, id play that out

not him, but c'mon nigga, multimix USB 2.0/firewire are widely available used

theyre not that hard to find

why would you give up the purpose of a send knob?

yes

My mates doing audio production at uni and was explaining how you achieve a much cleaner sound by sending 100% of a sound to an effect, the dialing back on the dry/wet after. Because that way what you're reverbing is the total sound, not just a portion of it.

Is this for blend or size or both?
Do you use two return channels for blend and size or do you process both in one return channel?

Only the 1.0 models are available in retail. (What's up with that?) Maybe you can find a used one on eBay.

I was able to find one on Amazon for $1200, but that falls under the reduculously expensive category

It is (or was, in hardware-only days) how it's traditionally done and the reason is quite simple - with hardware if you have the reverb unit set to 50/50 mix dry/wet it means that some of the signal that originally only existed on the channel strip itself is now also being routed through a send and back to the return via the reverb, and if you're lucky all it will do when recombined with the channel's signal is increase its level.

If you have a shitty hardware design somewhere in the chain there will also be phase shift added to the returned portion of the dry signal and that will cause comb filtering.

don't listen to this newb taking advice from another newb in uni

So one return for blend and one return for size, both 100% wet, and feeding them to different tracks at necessary amounts?
Sorry to keep going on about this, just wanna make sure I'm not muddling a basic mix element.

just fyi, some FX units recommend to run the AUX send from the mixer to the unit, and then plug the outputs of the unit to 2 channels (panned full Left and Right) to avoid any potential problems with shitty mixing boards

explain how that would be wrong. explain why anyone should think you're right.

Using two returns implies that you'd be using two devices, with two sends feeding signal to them, although you could route the device to more than one return if you wanted to apply EQ to a portion of it and balance it against the un-EQed return.

In a straightforward setup though a single device gets fed by a single send, and the effect comes back via a single return.

youtube.com/watch?v=XJi9PZ2KdOM

youtube.com/watch?v=oGGGhWPHveQ

a classic

youtube.com/watch?v=lYpKYxozJ7c

Holy fuck I'm crying. This is like 10 times better than those stsanders shreds videos

youtube.com/watch?v=kPX3oUMmaDE

I think I see, thanks
I'll just use a send/return for blending reverb and use size ones as a plugin on tracks that need it

rock n roll is easy
youtube.com/watch?v=h73kd6wsBq0

Such cool names for shitty synths.

Hell yeah, I used that video for a /prod/ject I had in music tech back in high school.

I played the new DSI OB-6 the other day. This pretty much sums how amazing it was playing with that state variable filter

youtu.be/DY-xFP7HdEg