What does Sup Forums think of REM?

What does Sup Forums think of REM?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3BVSvjOY4g4
youtube.com/watch?v=XXUkddrnsXQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Even their early stuff is generic momcore

The world's most boring rock band and their stuff hasn't really aged that well. Also they should have broken up after AFTP, but they dragged on 15 years past their prime.

I don't know about Sup Forums, but I really enjoy their music. Especially from 82 - 88. Life's Rich Pageant was the first album I heard from them and is still my favorite.

They coo.
You're not coo.

They jumped the shark hard with Monster when they decided to go full-out MTV 12 year old girl pop rock. It didn't work. They were trying to be something they weren't.

THAT'S ME IN THE CORNER

Look, I can understand how REM (and U2) got big. They were back-to-basics rock that took themselves seriously and that kind of music was in short supply in the Reagan years.

Having said that, unless you were there, you'd probably never really appreciate them.

Ok look, cast your mind back to 1983. There's lots of spandex and leather metal everywhere, but those guys are unattainable supermen who will always play guitar better than you and have more sex than you. Punk and New Wave have been watered down into commercialized mall music like Huey Lewis & The News, Joy Division, and Duran Duran. Sure, there's still punk but it's all scary white skinheads with Mohawks and nose rings.

And then comes REM, who look like average guys who live in your neighborhood and play warm, slightly nostalgic, but totally fresh music. Why, you could actually envision yourself being a member of the band which was not the case with Judas Priest or Def Leppard whom you're not completely sure if they're men or androids.

However, since Nirvana happened, REM's kind of music became the norm, it became mainstream and all bands since the 90s do something like it. So it's not as unique and special as it was in the 80s. The end.

I don't know they. I might have listened something on the radio.

idk montie loves murmur but I still don't see the big deal out of it.

Very few people are going to dispute that they jumped the shark after Automatic. Monster and New Adventures had a few good songs on them, but the rest of those albums were ass.

In all fairness, I think the decline was first noticeable on Automatic which had good songs but is far from good all the way through.

Everything the band did until Berry left was great.

I personally think they've made some of the greatest albums in rock music, and totally disagree with most people ITT.

Freaking Murmur and Document, people. Get it together.

>I personally think they've made some of the greatest albums in rock music, and totally disagree with most people ITT.

In all fairness, Motley Crue and AC/DC did rock a lot harder than these guys.

>LEONARD BERNSTEIN
They're alright, but I think the Pixies are just an all together better group

REM are better than U2, but then that's like preferring the flu to syphilis. The first three albums are great, but they started losing it as the 80s drew to a close.

The thing is, REM were never a band built for the MTV world, they were always meant to be a slightly under-the-surface indie band and that they did eventually reach MTV stardom was more just because of how scarce back-to-basics rock had gotten in the 80s. MTV was just one endless parade of hairspray bands like Motley Crue, Poison, and Europe. REM's entire sound and aesthetic didn't translate to music videos and pop rock and when they did try it, they fell apart.

Their later work is bad, but then rock and hip-hop are almost unique in all forms of media/pop culture at how the artist goes to pot once he gets past the age of 40.

And for what it's worth, I would listen to Driver 8 or Can't Get There From Here at 2 am drunk at a bar.

Whats so great about murmur
can't see the big deal about it. seems very bland

i love rem, stipes voice is incredible, murmur is my personal favourite

While they were never the most innovative band ever, they always managed to surprise you. New wave? Folk album. American underground heores? Angular art folk album. Noisy punk rock? Quiet acoustic album.

Also, and this doesn't make them any more exciting but it's a valid point, they have always had exceptional taste and reference points. They were connected to all the major indie bands of the 80s, championed the underdog all the time, and tuned a lot of kids into the fact that good music still existed and there was a world outside of Bon Jovi.

Why so much hate for 'Shiny Happy People'?
Was it overplayed?

But yeah, they definitely went on well past the point where they should have stopped.

My older brother, when he was in high school in the mid-80s, said that all the hippie/stoner/alternative kids were huge lebornintheronggeneration fags that loved Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, and Grateful Dead and were always complaining how bad current music and they wished they could have been there at Woodstock, but all of them loved REM and the Replacements.

Now of course in the 90s it was all different and the alternative bands had been snared by MTV's marketing department and had become homogenized teenybopper crap. There's definitely truth in how Guns'N'Roses marked the beginning of the end of hairspray rock, but it's also true that REM, Replacements, and Husker Du paved the way for the next decade.

A long time ago, I came up with the rule that no band has ever produced five legendary albums except the Beatles (Hard Day's Night through Abbey Road) and I specifically did not include solo artists, but then I realized that REM had it with the Reckoning to Automatic run.

Ok their later career sucked, but that just goes along with my other rule which is that the average creative lifespan of a band is 10 years. I mean, aren't we all thankful the Beatles and Led Zeppelin called it quits rather than drag on past their time to become a self-parody like the Rolling Stones?

I hate U2, I really do. Aside from Bono's power mullet in the 80s and the song from that awful Batman movie, I can't stomach any of it. Pretension so thick you could substitute it for high viscosity crank case oil.

Rolling Stones had the 68-72 run+Some Girls.

Was it though? Because as far as I know, only the 68-72 run are "essential". Some Girls, while good, has a lot of filler.

Pink Floyd.
DSoTM, Animals, WYWH, The Wall, PATGOD and maybe Meddle.

boring soft rock

I'm not a huge Zep fan, but it would be hard to say that I, II, III, Houses of the Holy, and Physical Graffiti doesn't qualify. And that's leaving out IV, which would be undeniably great if it hadn't been ruined by overplay.

I'm in shock. There are MEN who like REM? Last I checked, it's music for women and nu males who like sobbing, scented candles, and Lifetime movies and always will be.

>REM are boring
>there's men who like REM

Whoawhoawhoa. Last I checked, it's not a requirement to listen to AC/DC and Pantera to prove your manhood. Do you drive a Porsche by any chance?

They were great up to AFTP, after that it's like watching your grandma slowly waste away in a nursing home with Alzheimer's and you wish there was legalized medical euthanasia to put her out of her misery.

One of the best bands ever, their most mediocre songs are better than most bands average songs

SHINY HAPPY PEOPLE

reminder they did a segment on Sesame street and that killed it for me. gotta love that "kate pierson" muppet just for this segment

youtube.com/watch?v=3BVSvjOY4g4

One of the worst bands ever, their best songs are worse than most bands average songs.

I get triggered when they're compared to U2 desu. I love R.E.M.

R.E.M? More like G.A.Y.

>le hit home meme

Enjoy your shitty band you retard

Sonic Youth did Confusion is Sex through Daydream Nation. Just one crazy, innovative, mind boggling album after the next

>commercialized mall music like ... Joy Division
:^)

They're alright.

murmur 6/10
green 5/10
Thats all that I have listened to.

ITT: Underage metalfags

You had a good thing going until you called joy division commercialized mall music
Even if you don't like them that's still stupid

this! the stuff after daydream nation was awesome too.

Christgau loved these guys while not mentioning Twisted Sister and Ratt at all beyond one or two snarky comments in some column of his.

Good. He's a man of more patrician taste than yourself.

OP, it's hopeless. This board is full of 15 year olds who think playing a shredder solo at 200 bpm is "talent".

>their stuff hasn't really aged that well.

Yeah, they were a voice to alienated college students in the 80s but I doubt today's college students feel the same way as the ones in 1985 did.

just hide and ignore the trolls. yeesh.

>they were a voice to alienated college students
Bitch you can't even understand most of the words, it wasn't crafted for college kids. Also the production is timeless sounding. Could have come out today and nobody would say "Oh this sounds like an 80s album" Same goes for Reckoning.

It does seem to me that a lot of of the underground 80s bands have aged better than the mainstream metal stuff. Like, you could listen to Bad Moon Rising and not be able to tell what year it came out while if you listen to Ratt, there's no mistaking the era they're from.

dis!

U2 are fucking shit

BORING
O
R
I
N
G

Yeesh, how many more times you gonna samefag this?

literally all different posters you fag

fuck you Sup Forums REM is fantastic

Pay no heed to the underage metalfags.

You'll like REM if you're into the Eagles or Sticky Fingers-era Stones. If you're into metal, then no, you won't like them.

youtube.com/watch?v=XXUkddrnsXQ

It's amazing how much Lanye Staley copied the sound of Stipe's voice.

Uh huh. It's also probably why a lot of oldfags like Christgau liked them; they were stylistically closer to 60s-early 70s bands than what came later.

Yeesh, what's with all the anti-REM posting in here?