Why are Talking Heads considered to be post-punk...

Why are Talking Heads considered to be post-punk? They sound nothing like punk music or other post-punk bands like Joy Division.

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=post-punk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>other post-punk bands like Joy Division
post-punk covers a lot of ground

you have no idea what post punk sounds like

No shit, tripfag here doesn't know. Take it the fuck off

post-punk is a very broad genre

what would be the similar characteristics that all post-punk music has in common, then?

right now i feel like it's more of a buzzword than an actual therm

lmgtfy.com/?q=post-punk

from the wikipedia article:
"Though the music varied widely between regions and artists, the post-punk movement has been characterized by its "conceptual assault" on rock conventions and rejection of aesthetics perceived of as traditionalist, hegemonic or rockist in favor of experimentation with production techniques and non-rock musical styles such as dub, electronic music, disco, noise, jazz, krautrock, world music and the avant-garde."

What this is telling me is post-punk is literally anything that isn't classic rock music.
wow, what a term this is

they're not post-punk, they're new-wave.

it literally lists for you the particular genres post-punk takes its influence from, if you've ever listened to any you'd be able to recognise a lot of them in it

you're retarded

this

> Joy Division.
they are not post-punk they are gothic rock mixed with shit

The two overlaps constantly.

>I have no idea what i'm talking about

post punk and new wave are very nearly synonymous

their first two albums are much closer to post-punk than anything afterwards

post-punk and new wave aren't really genres, they were movements. they were periods of time.

'post-punk' really just means the bands that evolved after punk music, which was obviously quite a wide bag, but there are similarities in attitudes and sounds you could draw between them.

they're both part of that wider alternative scene, which encompasses shit like synthwave, gothic rock, minimal synth and coldwave among others, but they aren't necessarily synonymous - new-wave tends towards pop grooves and more synth based stuff with a professional sheen, whereas post-punk is typically more guitar heavy, fast-paced and chaotic

>The two overlaps constantly.
that's impossible faggot, since many post-punk albums are no wave

christ have you even listened to talking heads 77?

Holy shit, you're such an idiot.

nice arguments

anybody who says this isn't a post punk album is an idiot (before Joy Division). just because Britain added dark characteristics to the genre doesn't mean only dark bands can be post-punk. The same thing happened to Blue Cheer with Black Sabbath.