youtube.com/watch?v=tgKfAsSgTog
youtube.com/watch?v=YpUSwOGkRRw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

eh

This isn't a cheetah thread. get out

Both were alright

Shit sucks

what even makes you say that

i don't get this. their music has always sounded pretty human to me 2bh - i can almost feel boothy and browny's history of rave and electro, as well as their tastes (love of hip-hop and people like coil) imbued in the tracks.

Rob and Sean are legends

4 real. Late career and fucking slaying. Top tier album

Where can they go from here? Seriously, I feel like this was peak Ae

anyone got a good quality download?

I actually hope they change up their style again. Even though every song on this album was very different and pretty different from past works, it's starting to feel like they've kind of exhausted the Max patch aesthetic.

I'd like to see them try to do ultra experimental pop or synthwave or something. Though I doubt they're interested in that.

Maybe not go full pop, but I'd like them to play with some more "bright" synth-y sounds that are a bit more substantial and sturdy then the one on Oversteps. Like I loved how colorful the tones on jatevee C and the beginning of T ess xi were.

Also, I seriously think it's time they jettison the substantial amounts of reverb tbqh. They've done some wicked and expansive stuff with it, but it's played such a large part in their sound palette since Quaristice / all it's versions.

Yeah, I think they're also using a reverb plugin (or gear?) that's pitch shifting stuff down, so it sounds ultra "dark". The very dark feel of most of their recent stuff is becoming a bit repetitive (even if the compositions are still great and innovative).

I'd like to see them try out a more bright and less gloomy vibe.

Also, when I say pop, I mean their interpretation of it. Not some generic 4/4 thing.

Yeah, I get what you mean, mate. I think it could work too - we know they love Depeche Mode and the beginning of d-sho qub is perhaps one of my favorite things they've done this millennium.

lol rob not even bothered...

seriously tho would not mind an album or ep full of legofeet style electro or techno jamz (esp since sean said gescom was pretty much defunct, rip) but updated for 2016. they could even do it under another name if they felt it didn't fit into their current "canon" or w/e

Totally overlooked this. Much better than their Exai review which was total bollocks, even tho it was positive.

didn't they say in an interview that the algorythmic stuff in their code was almost like a third member of their group?

yeah, but then they sorta started to backtrack, saying that that aspect only existed because of the personality and 'self' that they put into the coding. it's like even they got a little spooked...

As much as I like Sean cheekily smoking that cig they really do need new promo pics desu

youtube.com/watch?v=rS735UpeIbw

TOPKEK

>youtube.com/watch?v=rS735UpeIbw

cygnusat.bandcamp.com/album/live-the-mezzanine

Elektron gear as usual
> "Equipment used: Elektron Analog 4, Elektron Analog Rytm, MPC 500, Waldorf Blofeld"

It delivers sick basslines

at 45:18 he's sampling gantz graf

It's a fucktonne of music to plough through but there are so many tracks here which might be the best of their career. God knows what they'll do next but regardless I'll undoubtedly eat that shit up

Finally got round to listening this last week and I'll concur that it's great. It's weird though, I took a break from Sup Forums for a few months, so the only reason why I knew this existed was when I was going through some of the older RA reviews a few days ago. Is it just me or was this barely covered? Especially for a group this established. I almost missed it completely.

>Is it just me or was this barely covered?
They put out no publicity or promotional material around the album release.
Critics had no reason to care

That might in part be to do with the ironic fact that its a digital-only release, I mean its a 4-hour long monster of a 'record' that quite literally has no physical presence whatsoever. It's the elephant in the room which people find too arduous to discuss

other 2 anons nailed it but i gotta say that i was still a bit surprised that tiny mix tapes and quietus didn't review it. not that it matters cus fuck publications 2bh and also i reckon s&r wanted it to be low key

Which is the best Elseq lads?
Personally I'm torn between 1 and 4.

I think 2 is very underrated

ely6 0nset is one of their best tracks

1 > 4 > 5 > 3 > 2

That said 2 is still really good, its just the others have some of Autechre's best material to date

1 and 4 are the most cohesive, but my personal favourites are 3 and 5.

that track is ace for sure. right now the other two tracks on 2 are a bit l-eventy for my tastes, but that release ended up growing on me majorly so those tracks might too.

>tfw everyone is praising this album but I can't get into IDM so I'll never experience the full impact of this apparent masterwork
Feels bad man

just throw yourself into it
I haven't even listened to this album yet but I'm saying that since I say this about everything else and this is what I do

How much of Autechre's stuff have you listened to? Their early releases are quite accessible as a starting point.

>full impact
listening to it all in one go is a mindbending experience, but keep in mind that's just one of many ways you can go about listening to it

It's not an 'album' in any strict sense, one reviewer on RA described it very aptly as a data dump. But if anything its uncompromising form is liberating in that you can pick and choose out of multiple 'disks', tracks, song orders, etc. to the point where it constructs itself as a different album each time you give it a listen

I've listened to bits of Autechre here and there, not a lot to be honest. My main problem is that a lot of IDM to me, while I see the compositional skill behind it, doesn't really effect me much emotionally. I find that if I need to get invested in music I need some emotional effect from it, which Autechre doesn't give me personally.

not to say Autechre can't be emotive, but I think they're the least emotion-oriented of the "big three," to me and many others at least. if you haven't tried stuff by other big artists of the genre I'd definitely suggest that, particularly Boards of Canada (even though they aren't super "IDM"-ey.) their stuff along with Autechre's album Amber would probably fit what you're looking for very nicely, at least I think they would.

You just have to come at it from a different angle, mate. IMO Autechre are highly emotional - albeit in a different way - because they leave some ambiguity there for the listener to project their own ideas and emotions in to the track, based on whatever their personal histories or perceptions are. It's all a bit more abstract as there is no obvious melody that's signifying that "this is a happy track" or "this is a sad track - coming to your own conclusions is the intriguing part.

æworld seems desolate.

Man, that Resident Advisor interview is really fucking good. Love how neither one of them knows how to claim authorship of a track anymore cause their whole system is just so deep and interconnected because of both of their contributions to the programming.

"we've not quite reached singularity" - lol, their relationship is inspiring.

>2016
>human input

>not realizing Rob and Sean are borg

>yfw when Rob/Sean cause the singularity

3. mesh cinereaL is possibly the best thing they've ever done.

agreed. My favorite personal example is d sho-qub. The melody on top is obviously happy but it feels wrong. It's like the track is lying about being happy while there's something much darker underneath.

i really wish that ae could totally divorce themselves from that term completely because this release is not reminiscent of """idm""" at all apart from latentcall.

ae don't associate themselves with the term at all. That's mainly critics' and promoters' doing.

yeah i know. i think it's funny that critics/writers bemoan the term and call it useless yet they still use it anyway.

this album is blowing my brains out. I was still trying to get over the genius of Exai and now they put this out which is literally Exai x 5 in every way/ These men are easily my favorite people who do stuff with sounds.

One of Autechre's weakest, and I say that as a huge Autechre fan

what are your issues with it?

A lot of the tracks go on for too long without doing anything that warrants the length. Many of them are also generally underdeveloped. That being said, Elseq contains some awesome stuff. The whole thing should have been edited down to one 2-3 hour long album.

Any particular ones? Not the other guy, but curious which ones keep a constant repeat without a single thing changing cuz I can always hear them (or it) bringing in little bits in and out throughout. Some of it even sorta reminds me of like some of the stuff on Amber where there's like super minute change that'll happen here and there.

hmm yeah, I see what you mean and that seems to be the most common complaint but I disagree.

this is the logical next step for them if you were to look at their greater trajectory. from tri rep to untilted, their music has always felt painstakingly constructed as - every detail feeling thought out and put in its right place (even on confield). after that though, their music became a bit more noodly, a bit more amorphous, yet it still kept that control that ae are known for. this album is refreshing because we finally get to see these musical set pieces interact with each other in a way that feels extremely organic as if it's sort of like terrarium of sound. there is progression in these tracks but it works on such a microcosmic scale. however if there is one common theme is that each track sets up a formula in the beginning and then spends the rest of the runtime trying to wrestle out of it via slow-moving and total decomposition of sounds. new forms are constructed only to be dismantled minutes or even seconds later.

the odd thing about elseq is that it feels simultaneously like ae's most hands on (the "jammy" aspect) and hands off approach (in that they don't seem to be interfering with the relationships between sound). in some ways it sound like the generative album that was falsely accredited to confield, yet this is also Not true - booth and brown have just fully melded themselves into the technology at this point and truly performing with it. sprawling nature of the thing is truly exciting and I can't wait to spend loads of time with it.

also i wrote all this on my shitty phone so please excuse the numerous typos, lol.

I wonder if they're a fan of Sasu cus parts of 5 definitely remind me of Vladislav Delay.

>album
read their interview with RA, they make it abundantly clear about what they were trying to do and why they want to distance themselves from that kind of format

I agree it definitely could've been shorter, but having this as a leviathan of a release means you can dip in and out in no particular order and its gonna say so fresh for long. I just find it so invigorating and subtle at the same time, there's constantly new sequences and shapes spinning in that you might not've noticed before

elyc6 0nset is shit senpai

u are mad m8

I actually like the first half a lot, it's like a close relative to vekoS which was one of my favourite Exai tracks.
The latter noisier section lacks the development to warrant the track length though.

I might like it if the middle 15 minutes were cut out.

The only track I listened to off of this was Feed1. Is this entire album like that, or is there some variation?

>1:01 on oneum

Nothing else on it sounds like feed1

no, not at all. i'd say that's the only track with that harsh, almost industrial techno type feel to it. there's an incredible amount of variety.

dont put any artist on a pedestal. if you dont like it/cant get into it, revisit it later. im still a long way from appreciating "avant-garde" genres like harsh noise and eai (and who knows if i ever will), but that doesnt mean im a pleb or whatever avantteens want to spout. just keep trying new music and pushing your comfort level

mans speaks the truth

tho at the end of the day it's just abstract hip-hop/techno done in the form of wildstyle graffiti, innit?

Listening to Elseq now and reading about this singularity got me spooked. What if Rob/Sean code it so far that it turns on them and kills them both? They've invented a brain that creates perfect music, how long before it gains sentience?

Let's hope a HAL type situation doesn't occur. Or maybe it already has and they're just walking MAX patches in human suits.

Speaking of, wow Rob is a babe desu...

heartykek/10

lol

saved/10

why is warp/merlin being so anal about the new stuff going on youtube? they've always been bad but never quite this shitty.

>Ae_store twitter deleted the tweet with the max patch
What does it mean lads?

this is good

what tweet was this?

How many Irony did you guys take ?

either none or enough for it to become new sincerity

i have no idea why you're even trying to imply desu

autechre sucks

they are "quite good" "tbqh" with you "lad"

they tweeted a link to a joke max/msp patch. pretty funny.

Reverie is gonna blow this out of the water.

i will never understand the unbalanced love for arca on Sup Forums compared to the other "saviors of music"

It's definitely cyclical - there was a backlash after Xen, and even Mutant to a lesser extent. Personally, I think his production work for other people is ace (loved what he did with Dean Blunt/BBF this year) but his solo stuff tends to leave me cold.

I do not understand why people still love the "new" Arca (post-&&&&&) that much.
Textures are just the result of one software : Izotope IRIS. And the result is disgusting.
He managed to create sweet textures with it on &&&&& but after, all the mixes are really weak. Some good tracks have been released in his forthcoming opuses (like "enveloped") but they date from the time of Stretch 1 & 2

Isn't Autechre's music/texture the result of one software?

Plebs

No but u can stream the whole 5 albums typing "elseq" on VK

Did you even try MaxMsp and Izotope Iris ?
Izotope is ONE concept, MaxMsp, several if it is not 1000.
And they have tons of hardware gear (monomachine / Nord rack). Please be informed instead of saying bullshits

>4 hours of bland bleeps and bloops

Understand fastly why RB and SB are geniuses

youtube.com/watch?v=tgKfAsSgTog

they haven't used hardware since at least 2013, fyi. i know rob was using the nord on the oversteps tour but i dunno if they were used on the actual album.

please recommend me "bleeps and bloops" that sound like elseq then.

bitly=29NfWkk

cloud dot mail dot ru /public/D7eM/8uwhhk2jY

could use a whole ep/lp of this shit
youtube.com/watch?v=YpUSwOGkRRw

you could build iris inside max msp