Is Squarepusher the Anthrax of the big 4 of "IDM"?

Is Squarepusher the Anthrax of the big 4 of "IDM"?

Squarepusher
Aphex Twin
Autechre
And who else?

Boards of Canada

Aphex Twin = Metallica
Autechre = Megadeth
Squarepusher = Anthrax
BoC = Slayer
?

Autechre is definitely Slayer

switch autechre and boc

Does BoC really count as IDM? I know it's a vague term in the first place, but a good portion of their songs are just melodies with fairly generic drum loops.

They're signed to Warp.

you guys are gonna have to explain to me what these analogies mean

Aphex = Metallica
BoC = Megadeth
Autechre = Slayer
Squarepusher = Anthrax

They probably deserve to be signed with them, but they feel more like PseuDM when you compare them to RDJ or Autechre.

3 of those artists are the most influential in their genre and people barely care about the 4th one which is lumped with them for some reason

idm is already a tenuous "genre" or classification already - "pseudm" is pretty redundant in that sense. the more concrete aspect of idm were more about the scene: the labels, artist affiliations, the mailing list, all of which boc were in involved with.

boc is idm but that's a terrible argument

battles is signed to warp but theyre pretty far from idm homie

No, they're not IDM, but they're part of the Big Four because the are signed to Warp, like the other three, even though Warp is not an exclusively "IDM" label, especially when Danny Brown is on Warp.

That's true.

Sup Forums should come up with a new unpretentious term. Something to encompass polyrhythms / unusual time signatures / microtones / rapidly changing beats made on a computer or synth.

I heard people using the term braindance

That's literally the same thing, just with a synonym.

Except all of the Big 4 artists are influential to some degree. If anything BoC is the least influential, inspiring second-rate imitations and Brotempo.

BoC is 70% aesthetic. Any group/artist whose primary (or even secondary) appeal is aesthetic is doomed to only get legions of shitty copycats just trying to sound like them without actually matching their compositions.

i'd argue that ae is the least influential just because they're so insular. i mean their material for the first 5 years maybe, but after that? nah.

They inspire a lot of artists in a broad way.

zxc

>What is Old Tunes, What is Chinook, What is Pre-Twoism releases, What is Boc Maxima, What is Whitewater

post-dance is pretty accurate, because they all take elements from dance music but take it in different directions

this. a lot of their early stuff is super similar to the other stuff on skam/gescom etc.

yeah, i know Sup Forums gets triggered by "post-" subgenres post-dance or post-club work well.

p.s. it can also be used to more comfortably encompass other peripheral artists like The Orb, B12 and LFO than "IDM"