Early Beatles thread

>put pic related off because I've always heard it's uninteresting 60s pop
>It's actually fantastic

What do you guys think about their earlier stuff? Favorite album? Discuss pre-Revolver Beatles in here.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZZSAzphSPFE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

John wrote the best early Beatles songs;

Ask Me Why
Tell Me Why
This Boy
Please Please Me
I Feel Fine (a little later but still pre-Revolver)

Early Beatles is the only good Beatles

It's brilliant, indisputably under appreciated among other Beatles albums.

>Favorite album?
Help! and probably Beatles For Sale

honestly I think I prefer their early stuff. There's a purity to an album like A Hard Day's Night. Also, the songs are just really fucking good.

>being this contrarian

kek

A Hard Days Night is absolutely one of their best albums, If I Fell, Should've Known Better, Tell Me Why, And I Love her all among their best songs. And certainly if we're counting Rubber Soul and Revolver as early Beatle albums (they're still mop top Beatle albums) it's a pretty easy call. Pepper had the potential to be their greatest but they ignored the introspective direction of Strawberry Fields and went for something less interesting. Self titled is a hot mess, Let it Be is a sloppy mixed bag, Abbey Road and Mystery Tour are on par with the early stuff but I think as a whole 63-66 wins over 67-70

the original imagine

youtube.com/watch?v=ZZSAzphSPFE

Kinda taken back with how good the early Beatles are. For years I've heard "oh, their early stuff was simple pop. They got better!" Finally sat down and heard their first four albums... Sweet Jesus for simplistic Rock N' Roll this is perfect!

wouldn't count rubber soul and revolver as early beatles, that's where they definitely separated themselves musically.

that said, i generally agree with what you're saying. i think a hard day's night ---> sgt peppers is their best album run.

what i think is ridiculous and contrarian for the sake of it is when people say fucking please please me is better than revolver or something (which i've seen people legitimate say on here)

clearly there's no doubting early beatles are great

>Self titled is a hot mess
Really? I mean, of course it's sloppy in how it's put together, but it has some of their most creative and personal music in it. I love it personally.

Please Please Me is better than Revolver

While I do prefer the later stuff, I think it's a shame that the narrative around The Beatles is often so dismissive of their early stuff. My biggest complaint about it is that it's lyrically pretty one dimensional, but other than that there's some great song writing and instrumentation

ok

Revolver is excellent for its influence, but in all honestly I enjoy Please Please Me a lot more.

somehow more elitist than , good job

I've never liked Revolver, so what?

why is beatles for sale so hated? pretty inoffensive stuff.

its so boring desu and some bad songs as well, though there are like 4 songs I'm really fond off.

eh i don't really care i just don't get that opinion at all. it's a fairly bland album filled with slow merseybeat/doo-wop type songs and it's like half covers anyway

revolver is super interesting, original, and progressive

if it's some personal thing i get it but saying it's better is kinda dumb

I used to really like a few songs such as Eleanor Rigby and Tomorrow Never Knows, but I stopped enjoying them for some reason. The others just sound middle-of-the-road to me, and I like their early sound a lot more. Their later era is my favorite but in Revolver the mix of the two isn't that great.

>but saying it's better is kinda dumb
depends on what your definition of better is

oof shit tier opinion desu

Yeah? Perhaps I should go and call it a 10/10 for its influence like every other critic, and not judge it on how much I enjoy it. Trying to be "objective" is pointless.

It's pretty much their weakest but it really just comes down to all of the (shitty) covers. Mr Moonlight in particular is just terrible. The originals are great though, there just aren't enough. They were clearly being stretched very thin for Christmas sales, and it didn't help that I feel fine and she's a woman were a non album single. As it stands, eight days a week and I'll follow the sun are top tier Beatle tracks

I suppose it's because there are a bunch more covers on it than the two albums it was between, right before Help! which only had two covers and right after A Hard Day's Night which had no covers at all. It seemed like a minor lull right between their best early period albums, which is understandable cause they made the album in the middle of an EXTREMELY busy schedule.

Also it's by far their most acoustic of their early period albums. Not that these are really good reasons to have a problem with the album but there it is.

The Beatles never put out a bad record in my opinion but my favorite era is from their humble beginnings up to 1966 when they released Revolver. (But I also like their psychedelic stuff too)

I mean the common reason is "the covers!" I say just form your own opinion. Beatles For Sale feels like a more mature take on their Please, Please Me formula. For years people told me The Final Cut by Pink Floyd and Lodger By David Bowie were awful yet I grew very fond of these albums quickly. Just think for yourselves friends.

I'd say Beatles For Sale is a solid light 9/10 for sure. It's easily the most depressing Beatles album... You go to songs like "P.S. I Love You" to stuff like "No Reply" and "I'll Fallow The Sun..." in just one year. It's kind of amazing.