Hello /mu

hello /mu

i'm looking to buy a record player but which should i get that's not too expensive but also good? sorry, i'm just not too educated on them. thanks, whoever helps.

Other urls found in this thread:

orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/5653952102.html
orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/5677278882.html
orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/5678437967.html
orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/5615257827.html
orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/5616600761.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Despite what anyone here might say, the Audio Technica LP60 is a very reasonable starter table. It lacks a lot of features typically cited as essential by serious hobbyists, but the LP60 will play your records with decent sound quality and won't destroy your records in the process. If you like it, look into an upgrade sooner rather than later.

Do NOT buy a Crosley. They're made for people who buy vinyl for the image over the music, and they will ruin your records.

what do you mean by upgrade? sorry if i sound retarded.

upgrade means replacing your existing product with a better one.

post your local craigslist and your budget

bump

orange county, $100

What traits should a guy look for when searching vintage? A lot of shops around me carry a shitload of record players for pretty good prices.

why would i need to upgrade? just certain parts of the record player or the whole thing?

save up more money and try again later

i can spend more if i need to. how much more would i need to spend to get the right one? i see the Audio Technica LP60 on ebay for $70.

I don't know much about buying vintage. The only thing I can suggest is making a note of the brand and model number of any TT you see and doing a web search for reviews and shit.

Also, remember that a turntable having an adjustable counterweight isn't a guarantee of quality. There are decent tables without counterweights, and there are shitty tables with them.

I've been using this turntable for 6 years, it works great, sounds amazing, and seems like it will never break.

i see it for only $70 on ebay. is that suspicious or should i buy it?

save up atleast $600 to get a decent TT,speakers,pre amp.

bump

Uturn Orbit $180

what if i get one where it's all built-in? is that a bad idea?

>is that a bad idea
yes

thank

That being said... if you didn't know, OFTEN one without a counterweight is shit.

More often than not, yeah. But there are still plenty of trash turntables that do have counterweights.

The point I'm really trying to make is that you should always look into it first instead of just assuming that a turntable is good because it has a counterweight or bad because it doesn't.

slim pickings for $100 or less, but these should be serviceable:

Hitachi HT-45
orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/5653952102.html

Dual CS 522
orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/5677278882.html

Sansui FR-5080
orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/5678437967.html

PHILIPS 877
orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/5615257827.html

PHILIPS 777
orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/5616600761.html

If you're just getting into vinyl, don't worry about audiophile-tier concerns. Just focus on getting something half decent to play it on first.

Worry about upgrading with good speakers/preamp/receiver later, once you know if you actually want to.

I just read that entire thing. Gave me a lot of insight so thanks for that. But still, you're saying I'd need to spend around $400 to get everything right?

thanks, man

Are you in the Placentia-Yorba Linda area?

yeah, north OC

vinyl is an expensive hobby.

it's up to you what you think you'll be satisfied with.

do you plan to start a good size collection?
and go crate diggin often?

or do you just want to support artist you like and listen to records every now and then? not that serious just feeling out the hobby itself don't know if it's something you want to stick with?

if so and lp60 will suit your needs.

if this is something you think you will be into for a long time i suggest getting it right the first time.

start off with a decent entry level turntable.
it should include a counterweight and anti skate.
this way your records wont get ruined and you can wait a while before you want to upgrade.

if you want something that's easy to plug in and play get a TT with a built in preamp and a set of active speakers

i plan to just get vinyl from artists i like, but i listen to a LOT of music, so i'll probably find shit i like just crate digging. i do already have like 30 records and i plan to grow the collection as i get older.

save up for a music hall mmf 2.2 or a project debut carbon and start looking for a decent set of speakers and preamp/receiver etc....
also consider the vintage TT the other guy in this thread linked you.

a new TT should cost around $300-350
speakers- $200
preamp- $50-100

im not going to spoon feed you what exactly to buy for speakers and pre amp just do your research.

alright, thanks a lot man

Just curious, what music u interested in?

i like punk and industrial. my two favorite bands are nin and bad religion. i also like many other subgenres of metal.