If Smile came out in 1967 do you think it would be regarded higher than Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band?

if Smile came out in 1967 do you think it would be regarded higher than Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pXRviuL6vMY
youtube.com/watch?v=PIh2xe4jnpk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

no, because the beatles took everything brian wilson was trying to do in the studio and applied it to sgt pepper... they go even further on the white album trying to copy his americana psychedelia back to roots approach as well as mixing in their eastern spiritualism shit

tl;dr no fucking way

no because it sounds like fucking carnival music and it's boring as shit
This type of overblown pop becoming the norm would probably cause punk to happen earlier tho

Nope

Beatles > Beach Boys

No.

THE

Amongst critics: Yes, obviously.

General population: Nope.

this

>no because it sounds like fucking carnival music

>what is Mr. Kite

FACT

Smile is Brian Wilson's self-admitted response to Sgt. Pepper's, not the other way around. The two groups were both influenced by one another; trying to deny this makes you look like a moron who doesn't have any background knowledge whatsoever.

Agreed. Smile is legitimately avant garde at times while Sgt. Peppers pretends to be through out.

"Sgt. Pepper's would have kicked our ass."
- Brian Wilson's response to a 2014 interview question from The Wrap asking if Smile would have "beaten" Sgt. Pepper's had it been released in 1967.

The pseuds will definitely say that Smile is better because the image and background story of burnout Brian Wilson overcoming his demons is much more relatable, esoteric, and documentary-ready than the conservative appeal of Lennon–McCartney, but if you listen to the music it's obvious that Smile doesn't exist without Sgt. Pepper's. Sgt. Pepper's is clearly more cohesive, entertaining, and innovative album, but it doesn't have a cute myth behind it.

There is no Americana psychedelia on the White Album. There is very little psychedelia at all, actually.

BOOKS

>There is no Americana psychedelia on the White Album.
rocky racoon and honey pie are americana inspired pieces, and blues is americana too which makes up john lennons input, and then you have ringos song dont pass me by: theres a lot of songs on the white album that are americana and also the beatles were at one point a psychedelic band so that carries over into the white album even if the songs are explicitly trying to be for an acid trip. like for example george harrisons songs on the album like savory truffle or long long long have psych elements but are not about psychedelia

sgt pepper was the beatles attempt to outdo pet sounds: baroque pop

the white album was their attempt to sort combine western and eastern influeces together , like what brian wilson was doing on Smile. i mean the album isnt about one thing in particular but i think thats what they came out with

It might, but only a while after.
If it came out before Pepper, it would probably get a lot of buzz until Pepper reigned the charts and stole back all the critical attention from Smile. If it came out after it would've certainly gotten the Pet Sounds treatment, where it was only years later that critics and audiences started seriously appreciating it.

In short, either way Sgt. Pepper would've ended up overshadowing it in the mainstream.

>Sgt. Pepper's is clearly more cohesive, entertaining, and innovative album

You cannot convince me that an album with When I'm Sixty Four and She's Leaving Home is more entertaining. It may be more cohesive, but Smile is easily more innovative.

>Smile is Brian Wilson's self-admitted response to Sgt. Pepper's, not the other way around

Nice B8, but ill just assume the best and think you're an idiot, smile was shelved by the time peppers came out

I agree but let's stop this When I'm Sixty Four and She's Leaving Home are bad meme

>Smile is Brian Wilson's self-admitted response to Sgt. Pepper's
Brian was writing and recording Smile at least half a year before the very concept of Sgt. Pepper's was conceived.

>combine western and eastern influeces together , like what brian wilson was doing on Smile
Outside of the ending to Cabinessence (which was to symbolize chinese railroad workers), there's little to no eastern influence

>rocky racoon and honey pie are americana inspired pieces, and blues is americana too which makes up john lennons input, and then you have ringos song dont pass me by: theres a lot of songs on the white album that are americana
I'm not arguing that there is no Americana on the album. Almost all rock music is Americana in some way or another, but it's not inherently psychedelic

> the beatles were at one point a psychedelic band so that carries over into the white album even if the songs are explicitly trying to be for an acid trip.
They were at one point a skiffle band too, but that doesn't transform every song they make thereafter into a skiffle song
>like for example george harrisons songs on the album like savory truffle or long long long have psych elements but are not about psychedelia
I will give you Long, Long, Long, but I can't do Savoy Truffle. I hear brassy saxes, I hear swing, but I do not hear psychedelia. I don't think whimsical lyrics necessarily implies an attempt to evoke a psychedelic experience

>sgt pepper was the beatles attempt to outdo pet sounds: baroque pop
Agreed

>the white album was their attempt to sort combine western and eastern influeces together ,
Disagree, I see that far more on Rubber Soul or Sgt. Pepper's. The sitar and psychedelic lyrics are mostly absent on the White Album; it's more influenced by rhythm and blues, Stockhausen, and protest songs than Brian Wilson and Ravi Shankar.

like what brian wilson was doing on Smile. i mean the album isnt about one thing in particular but i think thats what they came out with

retard alert

Hate when im sixty four but i really like "shes leaving home".

SMiLE trivia time
Dennis Wilson wrote one composition on the SMiLE sessions box set : which track is it?

Smile didn't ever come out. What you posted was a sloppily pasted together prototype with nothing but rough, incomplete sessions.

Are you implying a hypothetical scenario where the fully realized Smile came out in the 60's?

Get Got

I don't know

>listening to 60s pop
How does it feel to like the most saccharine, pretentious, and retarded era of pop music?

ahh yes, Smile has nothing on the masterpieces that 21 Pilots put out
youtube.com/watch?v=pXRviuL6vMY

I bet you love Kanye

nice strawman
Now listen to your flower music faggot
It's soooo trippy, right?

jesus christ take yr pills

well psychedelia is an eastern concept and brian wilson called smile a psychedelic symphony
psychedelic music doesnt have to be envoking a psychedelic experience it could also be just music to listen to while youre on acid, ie savory truffle. depends on your idea of psych i suppose
>Former Creem critic Richard Riegel included "Savoy Truffle" on his 1996 list of the ten most underrated Beatles tracks, saying: "this is a great song by any standard, certainly the most fun George would have in the sensual world for many years to come. 'Savoy Truffle' is wonderfully British psychedelic throwaway pop, much like Cream on their pop-tarty Disraeli Gears, recorded back when Eric Clapton was a mortal, too."[91]

also something you might find interesting. the song savory truffle features the line "But what is sweet now turns so sour"

and i was thinking about how charles manson said the white album was like a vision of the book in the bible 'revelations'. so i read it, and found this passage
>So I took the small scroll from the hand of the angel, and I ate it! It was sweet in my mouth, but when I swallowed it, it turned sour in my stomach.
revelation 10:10

i know george harrison didnt purposfly write it after reading the bible or anything, or paul mccartney (gideons bible in rocky racoon, etc)

i just thought it was interesting coincidence

Why you gotta be so rude?
Indeed, my good gentlesir, I listen to nothing but the finest modern pop music
youtube.com/watch?v=PIh2xe4jnpk

>all modern pop is Twenty One Pilots
Said the pleb dadrocker
>who is Bjork

How am I wrong?

it sounds like a compilation of kids music

shoulda stopped at pet sounds

Out of all of the critical words you could've used against Smile, you use 'pretentious'? This is one of the most straight forward and honest pop records of all time

ok kid

>ok kid
ok kid

>Brian Wilson did absolutely no work on Smile after he "shelved it"
It's weird that so many illiterates think this just to maintain their hero myth

And when did he finish it?

I hope you know that Bjork is momrock