This is Phil Elverum's masterpiece

This is Phil Elverum's masterpiece.

How come nobody talks about it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kChGBKuJt6Q
youtube.com/watch?v=lKl--ae9azM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

its his second most talked about here though.

>favorite album of all time.

its my favorite as well

Is his stuff after this as good?

>nobody talks about it?
lmao wat

I've noticed that the people who like it almost unanimously agree that it is one of, if not the, best album of all time (myself included). Blows everything else Phil has done out of the water imo, as well as pretty much every album ever.

Mount Eerie is a lot less experimental and more folk oriented. I mean, except for Wind's Poem I guess.

Good shit imo.

It's better than the rest of the microphones' work but not as good as this album.

What r u talking about niggr, literally everything he released after Wind's Poem is more experimental than The Microphones.

The Glow Pt 2 gets *SO* much more attention.

This album has an atmosphere like none other, really feels like you're going on a journey up a mountain

I like it but one of the best albums of all time? Um how about no the fuck not. I've listened to this album at least a hundred times and I agree it's great, but it wouldn't even crack the top 1000 best albums of all time.

completely false, what the fuck

are you fucking dumb? are you thick headed? can you not think? are you seriously not sure why people talk less about that album than TGP2?

think about everyone in the world

what percentage of them are exposed to phil elverum's music?

let's say hypothetically 5%

okay remember that hypothetical, i'll be coming back to it later

here's a simple question: of all the people in the world that listen to music, do more of them prefer experimental music or less? less, because otherwise it violate one of the definitions of experimental music (tries to sound different from popular music)

now that we know this piece of information we can go ahead and answer your stupid utterly fucking retarded question, which is an exaggeration so i will modify it into 2 separate questions based on subsequent questions you ask later in this thread

>how come people don't talk about it?

(back to our hypothetical)

let's assume that all of those people who listened to phil elverum's music started out with TGP@ since it's his most popular and that's what people typically do

of the 5% of people that are exposed to phil elverum's music let's say 2% didn't like it

that leaves us with 3%

of the 3% let's say that 2% stopped exploring Phil's music beyond TGP2 because they're the kinds of people that only listen to the most popular album by a band (hence why it's the most popular) and/or tried out mount eerie but thought it was too experimental for their taste

now we have the 1% of the initial 5% that have probably listened to Mount Eerie and maybe half of them liked it

this answers your question "how come people don't talk about it as much as TGP2"

take an introduction to logic class when you get to college because you don't know how to think

Wew

Can someone explain this album to me? I've listened to it twice and still don't get it

Is the album Mount Eerie - Mount Eerie? I can't find this cover on Spotify under Mount Eerie or The Microphones

>experimental
>not popular
>on Sup Forums
gg no re

Autismo

its
The Microphones - Mount Eerie

and it might be under this alternate cover

kek this needs to be a copypasta

You can think of 1000 better albums that are all great? Full of shit.

b/c it sent me into existential despair

The stuff directly after mt eerie is pretty good, specifically 7 new songs of mount eerie and live in japan

Oh, thanks. Now I see it.

no problem friendo

fun fact, OP's version of the album cover is the a folded poster that comes with the album on vinyl

it's good

Oh ok thanks man

i like it

>of the 5% of people that are exposed to phil elverum's music let's say 2% didn't like it
>that leaves us with 3%

Well, it starts out with it's least accessible track, so that tends to turn people away. But that opener is the perfect introduction. The second part of that song lays out all the nuances and concepts that you need to listen for. It's a bit unsettling, you can hear the anxiety in Phil's voice, the lyrical content. That is one great track. The rest of the album isn't super complex or hard to get, but the opener lays the groundwork. The album wouldn't be the same without it

2% of all people, not 2% of the 5%

Well it makes sense if you put it that way

who?

The Microphones

It's not that I didn't like the opening track, it's just that the rest of the album didn't really seem as amazing to me as everyone makes it out to be. It wasn't bad, it's just kind of strange and doesn't make much sense to me. Maybe it's just not my thing. Although I like The Glow Pt. 2 a lot.

You see happens?

didnt his wife die lmao

no problem

Here's your (You). Run along, now, adults are talking.

Speaking of Phil, any official word from him since his wife died a week or so ago?

Fucking plebs i swear...
THIS is Phil's masterpiece.

yeah
your reply is cringier than his b8

Underated

I'm worried, bros

wew lad it was a rhetorical question

>tfw I cropped this image from that hunger games simulator
here's another

I love the first and second tracks but after that it sounds like a high school theater production

I want to like it and Phil is one of my favorite musicians of all time but this one has never clicked :(

pls more, in return have a rare Phil

I only have one more that's about Phil, unless you also want the one about Julian Koster begging Phil to kill him

I guess this is pretty rare
youtube.com/watch?v=kChGBKuJt6Q

>tfw Phil will never play your a beautiful version of Cold Mountain song on steel drums youtube.com/watch?v=lKl--ae9azM

That's just when he was in his "Eric's Trip cover band" phase.

Op here, you're missing one thing:

People talk about all of his work. They just talk about this one substantially than the rest of it.

He has more albums than The Glow Pt 2 and Mount Eerie, you know.

Also see don't be so autistic

It could be, like:

>are you fucking dumb? are you thick headed? can you not think? are you seriously not sure why people talk less about that album than The Money Store?
>think about everyone in the world
>what percentage of them are exposed to death grips' music?
>let's say hypothetically 5%
>okay remember that hypothetical, i'll be coming back to it later
>here's a simple question: of all the people in the world that listen to music, do more of them prefer experimental music or less? less, because otherwise it violate one of the definitions of experimental music (tries to sound different from popular music)
>now that we know this piece of information we can go ahead and answer your stupid utterly fucking retarded question, which is an exaggeration so i will modify it into 2 separate questions based on subsequent questions you ask later in this thread
>>how come people don't talk about it?
>(back to our hypothetical)
>let's assume that all of those people who listened to death grips music started out with The Money Store since it's their most popular and that's what people typically do
>of the 5% of people that are exposed to death grips' music let's say 2% didn't like it
>that leaves us with 3%
>of the 3% let's say that 2% stopped exploring Death Grips' music beyond The Money Store because they're the kinds of people that only listen to the most popular album by a band (hence why it's the most popular) and/or tried out Bottomless Pit but thought it was too experimental for their taste
>now we have the 1% of the initial 5% that have probably listened to Mount Eerie and maybe half of them liked it
>this answers your question "how come people don't talk about it as much as The Money Store"
>take an introduction to logic class when you get to college because you don't know how to think