Metal and classical european music

What are some metal bands heavily unfluenced by classical western music? I.E.
What are some classical european composers that anticipated metal's sound?
Pic related.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yQw3DvqEbxI
youtube.com/watch?v=xDFUhZalQks
youtube.com/watch?v=uo10HFEfRo4
youtube.com/watch?v=3HU1URlyke0
youtube.com/watch?v=JmkDMTU-hb4
youtube.com/watch?v=dsh9xzTCFRk
youtube.com/watch?v=N8v4xFvATy0
youtube.com/watch?v=-x-y2DuHSec
youtube.com/watch?v=uhdI4_PN-rM
youtube.com/watch?v=iCEDfZgDPS8
youtube.com/watch?v=IrhBaOCZ1uA
youtube.com/watch?v=A_smqcOTfwY
youtube.com/watch?v=dOaNwi_2M8o
youtube.com/watch?v=NDh5g9Q-VsI
youtube.com/watch?v=WFZN08TBgFg
youtube.com/watch?v=Ka8mTjVpkLI&t=18m37s
youtube.com/watch?v=FFPjFjUonX8&t=27m37s
youtube.com/watch?v=6osJBtQRjoY&t=19m45s
youtube.com/watch?v=KkXyE9CZ_lk
youtube.com/watch?v=-0nKJoZY64A&t=5m36s
youtube.com/watch?v=q9s5HIqrv-M&t=6m58s
youtube.com/watch?v=Ke9DX3CUoIU&t=21m55s
youtube.com/watch?v=UIP1YoPAeyM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

John Michael Osbourne

I don't think you know what i.e. means.
Anyway, Haggard and Wagner, respectively, are the easy picks.

>What are some metal bands heavily unfluenced by classical western music?
Necrophagist, particularly the epitaph album - has quotations of beethoven and prokofiev
Der Golem - did a cover of Stravinsky's Le Sacre

>What are some classical european composers that anticipated metal's sound?
Stravinsky's Le Sacre / the rite of spring - 1912
Mendelssohn's shredding - string quartets, piano conceri, etc.
Paganini's shredding - 24 caprices for solo violin
Penderecki - Threnody for the victims of hiroshima (not that any metal band ever reached his level of dissonance or aleatoricism, but surely an influence)

i just want metal or literally any other genre, (could be classical too) with the same sound as some of rach's moment musicaux

youtube.com/watch?v=yQw3DvqEbxI

youtube.com/watch?v=xDFUhZalQks

That's not what i.e. means you dip.

There's some jap neo-classical metal band that's pretty neat.

>4:33
>8:05
youtube.com/watch?v=uo10HFEfRo4

These really

Rhapsody too but it's more a kitschfest

Mekong Delta

youtube.com/watch?v=3HU1URlyke0

Bartok

youtube.com/watch?v=JmkDMTU-hb4

I don't think anything is as good as this user

stop being a plen desu
which means stop listening to metal

Children of bodom

>What are some metal bands heavily influenced by classical western music?

Obligatory pic related.

youtube.com/watch?v=dsh9xzTCFRk

Well, Black Sabbath's Geezer Butler was very influenced by Gustav Holst, and Vivaldi's Four Seasons inspired Voivod's Nothingface.

Excellent contribution to the discussion, my friend. Your work here has really helped Sup Forums to be an exceptional community for discussing all kinds of music.

>all that build-up
>when 5:24 hits

greatest feeling desu

youtube.com/watch?v=N8v4xFvATy0

CHTPT

Yeah, this is pretty much Dragonforce but slower, you should check them out.

please send help, where does one find music like this?

also, i've been playing piano for a while, i fancy myself kind of good, but not this kind of good. it's just chilling to watch some girl who looks like she washes dishes for a living perform something like this.

just... please don't compare this to dragonforce, please don't.

get out

the closest i can think of are the fastest pieces of chopin but i'm not very knowledgeable in art music desu

forgot pic

ye, i know, some of the scherzo's have some passages, it's similar in some parts but not really the same texture, rach is just kind of dark and desparish like no other.

youtube.com/watch?v=-x-y2DuHSec

you can skip to 6:00 to listen to the build up to the coda

The closest kind of metal I can think that sounds similar to that are a bunch of neoclassical power metal groups, though neoclassical power metal puts more emphasis on violins than they do pianos.

post examples user, if you got any

not him but if we're talking about the best neoclassical power metal bands there's galneryus but they're not really like what you want. somebody already posted them ITT

Seconding this, some of the best songwriting in metal in general if you can handle cheese.
youtube.com/watch?v=uhdI4_PN-rM

stratovarius is pretty good too once you get over the finnish accent.

I always thought moussorgsky's night on a bald mountain could easily be transcribed for a metal band.

youtube.com/watch?v=iCEDfZgDPS8

you were right

youtube.com/watch?v=IrhBaOCZ1uA

look no further
youtube.com/watch?v=A_smqcOTfwY

the music here is not bad at all, but yeah some parts are a bit cheesy, maybe japs just have a hard time faking being doomy, or maybe it just only comes off as a bit fake to westerners?

Japanese power metal in general is very cheesy, though. It's almost a given. Funnily enough, Galneryus is one of the least cheesy Japanese power metal bands. have some ridiculous weeaboo cheese/neo-classical guitar noodling
youtube.com/watch?v=dOaNwi_2M8o

As for doomy the japs have a few good doom groups like greenmachine and church of misery, but j-doom tends to be a lot more traditional and bouncy like Black Sabbath and Pentagram instead of brooding like a lot of modern western doom.
youtube.com/watch?v=NDh5g9Q-VsI

Early Rainbow with Dio said they wanted a rock and roll band influenced by classic music

I don't think many metal bands ever heard Penderecki. Perhaps a handful only.

umm

yngwie malmsteen was influenced by bach and guys like that who playd in harmonic minor?

Adding to what everyone said already.
Opera in general, particularly Wagner and Verdi, influenced some metal singers with classical voice training.
Baroque polyphony and counterpoint is also there, listen for instance to Bach's 5th Brandenburg concert and pay attention to the harpsichord solos, in many ways some guitar solos resemble that a lot.

Definitely check out this, OP. A different approach, somewhat dark and psychedelic, if you don't like typical heroic neoclassical/power metal.
youtube.com/watch?v=WFZN08TBgFg

Scriabin (24 preludes, etudes op 8), Blumenfeld (sur mer, et, Lyapunov (transc etudes), Stanchinsky (sonata 1, canon preludes, studies), Alexandrov (4th sonata and maybe 1 too), Vierne (12 preludes), Bowen (called the English Rachmaninoff), Medtner (nightwind sonata etc)

They're all Rachmaninoff like, some were even close friends to him. Scriabin's your best bet but stick to his early period at first (up to his 4th sonata).

what the hell, i thought this thread was dead for sure, thanks for the recommendations

Rivers Cuomo

youtube.com/watch?v=Ka8mTjVpkLI&t=18m37s
youtube.com/watch?v=FFPjFjUonX8&t=27m37s
youtube.com/watch?v=6osJBtQRjoY&t=19m45s
youtube.com/watch?v=KkXyE9CZ_lk
youtube.com/watch?v=-0nKJoZY64A&t=5m36s
youtube.com/watch?v=q9s5HIqrv-M&t=6m58s
youtube.com/watch?v=Ke9DX3CUoIU&t=21m55s
youtube.com/watch?v=UIP1YoPAeyM