Is this secretly their best?

Is this secretly their best?

it ain't a secret mate

if you have taste, it's no secret

/thread

it has some of their best songs, but is uneven

It has some of my favorite songs ever on it.

Then comes Ob La De Ob La Da and fucks the whole album up.

It's really eclectic and while it has possibly their highest highs, it also has Wild Honey Pie and Don't Pass Me By.
I've always thought Abbey Road was their best album because, while it was mostly the Paul McCartney Showcase Starring Paul McCartney, I really think it represented each of them in their prime and the medley on side 2 is one of the greatest pieces of modern music ever composed. You also had the great John tracks Come Together and I Want You (She's So Heavy), the best George tracks imo, and the better of Ringo's two songs.
[spoiler]plus Paul was a better overall musician than John[/spoiler]

life goes on OOOOOHHH LALALALALA LIFE GOES ON

I actually don't understand what people don't like about Obladi Oblada. Is it the lyrics? I think it sounds so bouncy and energetic and has all those little things going on in the background that makes it the best of Paul's "granny music".

Let's stop this "Obla-di Obla-da is bad" meme, same with When I'm 64.

When I'm 64 is legit good though, obla di obla da is just a really shitty attempt at ska/reggae which, since they were the beatles, they had to attempt it since they messed around in almost every popular genre

it's good but it ain't no abbey road.

Thank you. 64 is better, but Ob-La-Di is so jovial and great. In the midst of a bunch of shit going on, they were still ace at delivering songs that make you happy.

Can we also stop the 'Abbey Road is their best' meme? Sure it may be amazing sonically, but it has Maxwell's Silver Hammer. If that one doesn't offend you but the great Ringo stomper Don't Pass Me By (maybe my favorite of Ringo's) and the

It's no secret

I feel like Abbey Road gets called their best as often as it does (and regardless of how you look at it it's among their best) is that it feels a lot "darker" and for the most part less silly than their other albums.

But yeah, White Album is actually the best.

Can we stop the Maxwell's Silver Hammer and Rocky Raccoon are bad meme

If you have heard all of their albums, it's obvious the White Album is their creative peak and their best work.

Rubber Soul is their best

Please Please Me is their best.

>mfw Hey Bulldog was cut from the White Album
What were they thinking.

Half of the songs on All Things Must Pass were made for the White Album, including title track, but Paul and John thought they were shit and wouldn't let George include any

>Wah-wah with George Martin production.

I came.

In fairness, I don't think a song like All Things Must Pass would've fit well on The White Album. It may have been a good closer, but it fits way better in its own album. I could see something like The Ballad of Sir Frankie Crisp fitting on The White Album though.

Also on my earlier point about Hey Bulldog, if people want to try replacing Birthday with Hey Bulldog on the album for a listen through, it fits rather well IMO.

fun fact: the melody and general musical progression in the crass "Why don't you get a job", by the Offspring is very clearly the same thing as Ob la di ob la da. The two songs both describe the trials of (happy and unhappy) couples. I've never heard of a lawsuit over this, but I think the Beatles' estate(s) would have an actual case on this one if they wanted to get a little money. They're really obviously similar songs, you don't even have to know music theory to pick up on it.

HONEY PIEEEEEEEEEE
HONEY PIEEEEEEEEEE

WANNA DIE

The White Album is their best for me. Or at least, the most entertaining to sit through. It's so sprawling and diverse and unhinged, from blues to acoustic to heavy metal to ska to avant garde soundwalls and so on. It's inconsistent but I love how bumpy a ride it is, for example when you have Helter Skelter followed by Long, Long, Long. I think the tension between the members is what made them write some of their collective best songs and push their creative talents further than ever before. Even Revolution 9, as pretentious as it is, adds to the whole "even our farts sound great" attitude and I just love that. For some reason self indulgence really chimes with me, I love Sandinista! too.

Revolver is equally as good probably but just behind in my list of favourites. Closely followed by Abbey Road, Rubber Soul, Peppers and MMT in that order.

the song is just a bit of fun
>not liking paul's granny music

>secretly
It's always been their best. Always. You shoulda never let anybody tell ya different.

Everyone was at their creative peak. It's extremely eclectic, what have you. Their songs are more distinctly "them" than they are on any other album, due to them completing pretty much every song on their own. John is at his rawest at times and Paul is at his most whimsical. George gets some of his best work. Even Ringo's best song is on it. It's their most daring and their best. Period.

Oh and John dominates the White Album better than any other Beatle does on any other album. And I don't wanna hear about the Abbey Road Medley either. It's not as good and John has a couple songs on it too.

This guy knows what's up.

It has Long, Long, Long on it. Every other song could be garbage and it would still be great because of that song.

>Don't Pass Me By.
>Helter Skelter
>Dear Prudence
>Blackbird
>While My Guitar Gently Weeps
The White Album is a Good Album

I love the creepy tension purveying over the whole thing, happy songs with sad lyrics, sad songs with happy ones, secrets everywhere, so much to unpack and pay attention to

Listen to GodWeenSatan