Do you give out five stars / 10/10's to albums...

Do you give out five stars / 10/10's to albums? Do you consider no album perfect or does every song need to be perfect for it to be 10?

No album is perfect but I still give 10/10s, not often though

So do you think an album can have a few meh/dud tracks and still be 10/10?

>Do you give out five stars / 10/10's to albums?
No
>Do you consider no album perfect
Yes
>does every song need to be perfect for it to be 10
By definition, yes.

I rate by my enjoyment, if I fully enjoy it the entire way through, if the meh/dud tracks make me not enjoy it, then yes it is not a 10/10

I rate it based on my enjoyment of the album as well and I rate out of 10, I can only think of one album off the top of my head I'd ever give a 10 but I usually still call that a 9.5 :/
And no, not every song has to be perfect, but the album as a whole has to make me feel like it's worthy to give an almost perfect score (since nothing will ever be perfect)

I dont think that there is an objectively perfect album, and I think that trying to rate music is fucking stupid.

I only do it on rym for organization reasons, and those ratings dont really have strict guidelines. But yea sometimes I'll do a 5/5 if an album is important enough to me.

this guy gets it

who the fuck cares. do you also go around arbitrarily rating food, buildings, trips, like a fucking retard?

I don't rate album by numbers, but then again I don't have rym or something similar that requires me rate music.
When rating an album for myself though, like in my mind, I find it more precise to rate an album with words than numbers. I try not to think stuff like, "i'd give this a 7, that's a 5, this is a 9, etc.".

>does every song need to be perfect
no

As an example, let's take Kid A.

Kid A as a holistic experience is a 10/10 in my eyes, but if I'm being perfectly honest, a lot of the middle is kind of bog standard Britpop-y guitar band stuff. It's not that experimental except at the beginning and the end. But the beginning (Everything-Kid A-National) and the end (Idioteque-MPS) are such incredible punctuation points that they elevate the rest of the experience. In fact, given "Kid A" essentially setting the subject of the album as depression, it'd be weirdly inappropriate if every song was a high point. A depressed album should be just that- depressed, maybe a little meandering. So what might otherwise be weakness becomes a strength, because the band lets us marinate in the sadness of the otherwise perhaps a little overlong songs. The whole album comes together to form this kind of depressed, narcotic sonic landscape that we can wander around in. The songs are balanced against each other in a way where their weaknesses become strengths.

The whole can be more than the sum of its parts.

Sorry I completely forgot to answer the question.

Yeah I see some albums as perfect, not because they are flawless, but because of my personal reaction towards them.
And no, not every track has to be perfect. If a weak track balances well with the overall quality of an album I don't see it as an issue.

10 is just the best rating. It's not "perfect".

No 10/10 album, song, or art exists.
Even if I rated by enjoyment, no full album can be as good as its best song's peak. and even that way, no song is 10/10.

I go by stars, 5 stars is top tier, not necessarily perfect. I don't think I know what a perfect album sounds like.

If I were to rate an album, I go by out of 10. There's albums I consider 10/10 material but might have 1 track I don't care for much. It all depends how much I enjoyed the rest of the album.

I tend to view rating albums as being like a test marking scheme.
You can still get an A even if you get a few answers wrong, and as such I think an album can be 10/10 without being completely 100% flawless.

I give out 10's. I rate based on enjoyment, not some made up "objective" scale.
>1000 songs
>999 are perfect
>1 is ok
1‰ is ok, and 99.9% is perfect. according to you, this imagined record isn't perfect. whilst technically true, it doesn't make sense. if I find a song to be perfect, but a chord by one instrument only okay once, then that song isn't 100% perfect. normal people round up you know. why is the factor we rate music by songs? that's not more reasonable than chords/effects/specific sounds/feelings etc.

also, remember, you're the aspie - because you have unreasonable ideas

Sometimes there are albums that I rate 10/10 but they have to have 10 tracks.

damn...

yes
albums are bigger than the sum of its parts, i dont believe a slightly underwhelming track can ruin an album if everything else works perfectly