My gf preffers The Cure but I preffer The Smiths

My gf preffers The Cure but I preffer The Smiths.

Settle this, Sup Forums.

Other urls found in this thread:

poal.me/4p79yu
passionsjustlikemine.com/lyrics/smiths-ay.htm
passionsjustlikemine.com/songs/songs-unloveable.htm
morrissey-solo.com/threads/passions-just-like-mine-rip.121557/
youtube.com/watch?v=PI9Nc3i6MAU&ab_channel=Foda-seaindústriadoJabá!
strawpoll.me/10778614
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Settle what?

they're... nothing alike?

Do this the way real men do.
poal.me/4p79yu

>preffer
what did he mean by this?

Give me your gf, you clearly like men if you enjoy The Smiths.

The Cure > The Smiths

If we're comparing tshirt fodder bands however Joy Division wins

the cure is better

The Cure > The Smiths

I like both.

The Smiths > The Cure

both are good though. also my mom really likes the both of them

The Cure. Morrissey is mean.

The smiths are awful

I was just looking for this picture, thank you

Morrissey solo is better anyway.(Also the photo is photoshopped the original picture has James Dean in the frame)

bauhaus is by far the superior mall goth band

Morrissey has aged better at least

Morrissey's solo stuff has some amazing tracks that go unseen by many but it's way more political than anything The Smiths have ever done. Some times in a boring, preachy manner. Also his band doesn't come close to Marr and Rourke.

Well Cure is certanly more versatile. And Robert is cuter.

nobody asked for your opinion but thanks i guess?

What's the story behind their confrontation? If there is one.

Compare all 60 Smiths tracks to 60 Morrissey solo tracks (he has about 240) and you can find just as much political songs, also i listen to Morrissey/The Smiths for the lyrics and the singing not instrumentals

You posted in a thread dedicated to debating about the bands but good job on writing like a triggered vagina I guess?

>i listen to The Smiths for the lyrics and the singing not instrumentals

Robert Smith started it and Morrissey made a slight remark about it and the media blew it up to be a rivalry of sorts and Robert Smith ran with it.

If i listen to music for the instrumentals i could find much better bands than The Smiths

Problem is Morrissey has a lot more tracks than The Smiths ever did. I think most of The Smiths' strength comes from the fact that they had such a short, solid run, they existed for like four years. And Morrissey's songs seemed more relevant back then. Also no, it wasn't as common. Morrissey's last album is mostly all about this and it's very blatant, and sometimes vulgar. His writing changed a lot.

Also the riffs are incredibly important to the composition of pop, that's why Morrissey's biggest solo winners are song like Suedehead, Every Day Is Like Sunday, Interesting Drug, etc. Those are popping af. A weaker band weakens the song's strength, and it doesn't help that Morrissey goes from jungle pop, to hard-rock, to now incorporating some latino or whatever elements.

I love a lot of this solo stuff, but The Smiths are an incredibly tight band and Morrissey himself is kind of inconsistent. It's the same way he can write amazing poetry and then produce a book like List of the Lost.

I take it your favorite Smith song is The Draize Train, Oscillate Wildly and Money Changes Everything and you hate the songs Asleep and I Know It's Over

you don't listen to a band just for one thing, the smiths has great instrumental work AND good singing/songwriting. The point is that both of them work with each other to make the songs good

I thought Morrissey started it with that joke about what Smiths he would shoot, unless you mean Robert's reaction to Morrissey's answer is the start.

>Mostly political
Neal Cassidy Drops Dead
Istanbul
Earth is The Loneliest Planet
Staircase At The University
Kiss Me A Lot
Smiler With Knife
Mountjoy
Oboe Concerto
Scandinavia
One of Our Own
Julie In The Weeds
Forgive Someone
Drag The River

Also Morrissey's biggest hit is First of The Gang To Die

Other than both being frontmen of bands which made slightly underground sappy music in the 80's how can they even be compared?

you are both faggots

Morrissey's biggest hit was The More You Ignore Me The Closer I Get

Most of those are preachy songs. I find it so funny you open with Neal Cassady Drops Dead because it was probably the most criticized song from his new album exactly because of that, and poor writing. Often shat on for the lines

>Everyone has babies
>Babies full of rabies
>Rabies full of scabies
>Scarlet has a fever
>Ring’s full of ringworm
>Angel of disdain

Which is some fucking AWFUL writing. Istanbul is also political, you probably didn't understand it, Staircase At The University is a cartoony and exaggerated commentary on a current issue as well, Mountjoy, if I'm not mistaken, is about the prison, etc etc.

Not to mention one of his earliest, biggest solo controversies was "Margaret On The Guillotine."

You're arguing a silly point here, Morrissey is undeniably more political than The Smiths. It ain't even CLOSE to equal. Have your taste, don't twist facts, that's when you lose respect.

>Unfortunately he was asked a question about people called Smith. It was me, Patti Smith and someone else called Smith who was famous at that time, who he would shoot. One would have expected at the time, him being a non-meat eating vegetarian pacifistic sort of guy, to say I choose to shoot myself or I choose to shoot no-one but he said Id line them all up and Id shoot them all. When I was told that at the time I kind of took umbrage, Thats fucking nice, cunt. I felt it was a bit unnecessary

Mozza is fucking hilarious

The Cure is better

Neal Cassady Drops Dead is a message song from Morrissey to those persons who tend to feel sorry for themselves. Victim or life's adventurer. Which of the two are you? It is a live before you die song. Cassady is an example of an 'adventurer' who died relatively young - but at least he lived.

It's an awfully written song regardless of how hard you try to make it seem nice. Also that song was done better two decades ago by Morrissey himself, it's called Accept Yourself.

Awful writing like his writing in The Smiths was better the songs were about nobody loves me,media,politics,stealing lines from poets

Ooh Glenn
don't come to the house tonight
Ooh, Glenn
Ooh, Glenn
don't come to the house tonight
Ooh, Glenn
because there's somebody here
who really really loves you
Ooh, Glenn

Accept Yourself is about people who blame other things other than themselves.

I'd really like to believe you're just playing the retard role now. I held my tongue on the offenses but holy shit, you're dumb, and yes, there is a clear difference in writing quality. By the way you write your own posts I can tell you barely know english, so maybe it's difficult for you to tell, but let's go then.

That song is about sexual frustration - a big theme for The Smiths -, and it's done beautifully. It's a quick, thrilling song, based around Joe Orton who got beaten to death with a hammer by his lover. The title itself comes from Orton's writings.

>‘As the corpse is downstairs in the main living room it means going out or watching television with death at one’s elbow.’

Can you even see how out of your depth you are now? Not to mention the fact that most of The Smiths' "sad songs" were incredibly ironic, and Morrissey even wrote Unloveable to poke fun at that perception. And media, policits and poetry aren't bad subjects, so I don't even know where you tried to go there. I supposed you wanted love songs?

Fucking stop posting, you're an embarassment.

Accept Yourself was an open letter to Smiths' fans as admitted by Morrissey. Your interpretation means jackshit.

Fucking retards itt.

passionsjustlikemine.com/lyrics/smiths-ay.htm

>The first Smiths song where he directly addressed his audience, it reportedly instigated ‘floods’ of letters from ‘totally affected’ fans. Certainly, it’s among Morrissey’s most positive early lyrics. ‘I find that so many people have [the song’s] dilemma about shoes,’ he commented. ‘If they have the wrong pair of shoes it can totally destroy their entire life. Similarly, if people think their feet are too big, or that their nose is too big, it can result in a diminished social life for totally false reasons.’

Are you trying to prove it wasn't for the fans in the same link he talks about the letters he receives?

Do you have some kind of medical condition?

passionsjustlikemine.com/songs/songs-unloveable.htm

>no information about the song at all

Let me help you.

>As its title blatantly indicated, ‘Unloveable’ was among Morrissey’s most self-deprecating Smiths lyrics, offering a repetitive confession from a love-starved soul taking stock of their empty life, drab wardrobe and eccentric behaviour. The end of the song reveals it to be the contents of a letter, its fantasy of reciprocated affection (‘if only you could meet me’) sharing the tone of desperate fan mail; Morrissey perhaps assuming the role of a Smiths apostle writing to himself.

It's DRENCHED in sarcasm and it isn't from Morrissey's perspective.

I'm serious now, you're too stupid to be alive. Please stop posting meaningless fucking links.

The only reason Morrissey called the chinese subhuman is because he didn't know you existed.

Huge Johnny Marr fan, so gotta' go with The Smiths.

>Meaningless links
morrissey-solo.com/threads/passions-just-like-mine-rip.121557/

They're not particularly comparable sonically though; their constant being pitted against each other is just a remnant of the media spin at the time.
That said, not factoring in actual sound, I think the Smiths were far more consistent and focused than The Cure, while The Cure put out a lot more stuff and trod more water, and as a result occasionally released incredible and coherent albums, but between the peaks often released lacklustre material.
A predisposition toward a certain sound could easily sway you heavily in favour of either band over the other though. I feel like they're only so hotly debated because they were lumped together in spite of not sounding similar, so people who don't enjoy music in the vein of the Smiths/ The Cure see them being compared and can't understand why they would be, when one is so blatantly "better" (read: more in-line with the listener's general taste).
tl;dr There is no correct answer neither are better, they differ too greatly in approach to music and sound to draw the parallels necessary for comparison.

Morrissey>>>>>The Cure>The Smiths

/thread

Eh i prefer Morrissey solo mainly because of Your Arsenal and Vauxhall And I

You're an idiot

Robert Smith > Morrissey tho

i've always wanted to know what's so special about the album "the queen is dead" which is considered by many (including rym) as the best album by the smiths. I mean it isn't bad at all but can someone explain to me how it even comes close to the beauty that is Disintegration by the Cure ?

Have the smiths created anything that even comes close?

It's not Strangeways it their best album even Morrissey and Johnny Marr say so, also in terms of beauty this album is the most beautiful Morrissey/Smith album.

youtube.com/watch?v=PI9Nc3i6MAU&ab_channel=Foda-seaindústriadoJabá!

Wtf is he doing at the Malvinas building? Is this banter?

both are shite really

>My gf prefers the Cure

Good taste

>but I prefer the Smiths

So you're gay.

Knowing Morrissey, most likely.

How can i find this interview?

its not real i think

its not real. moz and robert have never met believe it or not.

stop

they met a couple years ago

Yr gf is correct. Sorry bruh.

someone on tumblr made them. they're actually gifsets.

The smiths are better music

The cure is just basic pop music

The Smiths

Morrissey is what separates them

The Cure. I like Robert more and his music is more nostalgic to me than The Smiths. I enjoy both though.

not really saying much since 90% of people have aged better than robert

Fair enough

Forgot an option baby

strawpoll.me/10778614

He probably wouldn't even look that bad if he lost a little weight and cut his hair short

As long as you are getting your dick sucked why even argue nigga. Just lie to her face. Tell her the cure is better. Be done with it.

I'd tried to be generous by not including concert photos

This was December btw

my wild guess is that he meant "prefer"

Morrissey wrote 'A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours" this ain't even a question

This user knows what's up. OP just tell her what she wants to hear then you ain't gotta fuck wit it bruh.

The Smiths are way better than The Cure, but Robert Smith is a much more likable person than Morrissey.

That's debatable, i personally think Morrissey's a very misunderstood person.

The Smiths are good when you're having a bad day

The Cure is good when you're having a bad life

Nah man, you don't get it The Cure is all bout that "ennui" (google it you dumb motherfucker), you have a good life and are just too numb and apathetic to care man. The Smiths is all about being stuck in a shitty rural town being a gay cunt hating everybody, being incredibly lonely. It's the actual option for people with shitty lives.

the cure is better user

is it really a question

the cure

the cure made disintegration and faith, is an obvious choice

THE SMITHS

Mike Joyce

I could have gone my whole life without seeing Morrissey's ass. I think I would be happier that way. But no, user has got to post Moz'z ass.

You should both be listening to R.E.M.

Your welcome