/jazz/

What are the last 3 jazz albums you listened to and which one would you recommend the most?

Other urls found in this thread:

www112.zippyshare.com/v/mqCTcRyi/file.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Branford Marsalis Quartet - Four MF's Playin' Tunes
>Snarky Puppy & Metropole Orkest - Sylva
>Verneri Pohjola - Aurora

I definitely recommend the Snarky Puppy one the most. Look it up on YouTube.

So anyway I was in London

Pete LaRoca- Basra
Dave Douglas- Leap of Faith
Andy LaVerne- Three's Not a Crowd

Basra's pretty essential if you've never heard it. The Dave Douglas one is good but I've heard better in the style. Andy Laverne one had some good moments but also some weak spots.

What did you think about Culcha Vulcha? For me I like the even tracks and could not stand the odds. It was the weirdest phenomenon.

Absolutely terrible taste. You should seriously stop listening to Jass as having posers like you around poisons the music for all of us.

>Bill Evans - Interplay
>Art Blakey - Mosaic
>Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um

I suppose in theory Mingus Ah Um but most jazz fans would have heard it. I did really enjoy the other two though.
>Pic related: dat lineup

Go away imposter, CLT is dead. Let him RIP in peace.

Please post some criticisms of those albums if you think my taste is terrible for enjoying them.

>Carla Bley Trio - Andando El Tiempo
>Nate Wooley - Argonautica
>Jaki Byard Trio - Sunshine of my Soul

I felt the Carla Bley was too, like "artsy" or something, didn't care for it that much. Nate Wooley was interesting, i feel like it went over my head a bit. But the Jaki Byard was grand, recommend it 10/10

>Bela Fleck and the Flecktones - Self Titled
>Billy Cobham - Spectrum
>Ryo Fukui - Scenery

I very highly recommend Bela Fleck and the Flecktones to anyone who enjoys music. Their live performances are fantastic too, i can sit there for hours just watching them. When you think one instrument is the godly part of the song another instrument will start playing. Absolutely mind blowing.

Reminder to participate in the weekly /BLINDFOLD TEST/ threads if you like listening to and/or discussing jazz. It's a fun way to discover new jazz and discuss it with other jazz fans.

www112.zippyshare.com/v/mqCTcRyi/file.html

This week's theme is the Steeplechase label.

We all listen to the playlist of mystery tracks, write down our thoughts, criticisms, evaluations, and or guesses about the music and artists, then post them in Friday's thread.

I can't stand Bela Fleck t b h

Saw him and his wife when they came up here, was honestly very disappointed how it wasn't jazz. But it was still enjoyable bluegrass, it was ok i guess. Damn i wish i saw chick corea and bela fleck play when i had the chance

drum suite was the most fun but the natural soul is more my speed. tender moments put me to sleep honestly but i'm not big on piano jazz.

+sylvia

+basra

+interplay, mosaic, ah um
call me. ;)

havent heard any of those

+spectrum
ive been meaning ti get into bela fleck but havent yet

I just became interested in jazz (literally Yesterday). I really enjoyed pic related. How do I get into jazz? What are the essential albums?

there's probably a chart. or you can just start with the ken burns documentary and go from there. one name will lead to another. asimple google search for "greatest jazz albums of all time" will get you the essential albums that you'll need to know. another option is to search "great jazz albums by year"

Yusef Lateef - The Doctor is in... and out
Hermeto Pascoal - Slave Mass
Joe Jones - Introducing the psychedelic soul jazz guitar of Joe Jones

Hermeto Pascoal i'm listening to now and is pretty cool Brazilian fusion.

The Joe Jones was disappointing and not very psychedelic.

Yusef Lateef one is one of his stranger ones and worth checking out.

found someone's chart

I was planning on doing that. I was just wondering if there were any albums that most frequenters of these threads consider essential. Basically /jazz/core.

Thanks

Cannonball - Mercy mercy mercy
Johnny Hodges - The Blues
kind of blue

I like to recommend Lou Donaldson! fantastic musicians, kind of like Bird but more bluesy.

I have both these on vinyl, forgot I even had them. Gonna dig them out now.

Anyone else saw Miles Ahead movie? Opinions?

i think you're looking for indierock general

I have it downloaded, been meaning to watch. Looks pretty cool even though it's barely related to Miles Davis actual life.

Yeah that's kinda it. The movie is sort of related to Miles Davis, it's more of a simple gangster movie with Miles Davis in it. The scenes and plot are a mess. There's a cool scene with him and Gill Evans in the studio but it's completely pointless in terms of significance to the plot or anything else in the movie.

>watching movies
top kekkkkkk

btw how's round midnight with dexter doing the leading role?

also don't watch bird's movie that the cowboy dude made it's very shitty

>Not liking Clint Eastwood

Space is the Place is the best Jazz movie. Naked black hookers and Sun Gods ftw.

>Warren Wolf - Convergence
contemporary cool from 2016
really smooth
with Brad Mehldau, John Scofield, Jeff "Tain" Watts, Christian McBride

>Brad Mehldau, John Scofield and Christian McBride
damn i'll have to check that out

>that cowboy dude
you very well know who it is. And while Bird was shit he produced one of the greatest jazz documentaries. At least Forest Whitaker was good.

The Dexter Gordon movie was pretty boring i thought. It was fun to see all the cameos and it had good soundtrack/ sound design but it was too slow.

I kind of want to see the Chet Baker/Miles Davis biopic, but i imagine they're just retreads of movies i've seen many times (brilliant artist struggles with drug addiction)

>you very well know who it is
I forgot his name.

I didn't see the Miles Davis movie but his life story have sooo much potential. A movie about the entire life of miles can seriously be incredible with all of his influences like Diz and Bird and Monk. And addiction to drugs and Kind of Blue glory than getting old and doing tons of cocaine and fucking all day. But that'll never happen.

That's some legit sidemen, gonna check that out.

Gordon is an ok actor but Autour de minuit is not a very interesting movie overall. it's not very boring or anything, the OST is good, but it just feels plain

L'aventure du jazz by Louis PanassiƩ is extremely interesting if you wanna watch some documentary, but excessively difficult to see because rare as shit

>alan lee jazz quartet - gallery concerts 1973
>fire! - you liked me five minutes ago
>east new york ensemble de music - at the helm

recc the fuck out of alan lee, real underappreciated album with an insanely wide range of influences