Seeing swans tonight. What should I expect?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0sdOvQjtUrg
youtube.com/watch?v=Xs6m9HeWXck
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

BUY EAR PLUGS

>Expect for it to be loud. Bring earplugs, and if you wanna be a saint, bring more pairs so that you can give them to people for forgot them.
>Gira turns of the air conditioning, so expect it to get stuffy.
>Expect them to play and explore the main motifs of the songs, not playing them exactly like they are on the album.
>Expect the energy of the crowd to be a mix between a death metal show and a Pentecostal church service.
>Expect a lot of speaking in tongues from Gira.
>Expect to at least feel your clothes vibrate on your skin, more if you try to get close.

>expect

anticipation.jpeg

Seeing Swans in Atlanta on Friday, already have my musician's earplugs, I plan on getting as close as I can to the stage. Anyone else seeing them in Atlanta?

you people are clowns

saw swans for the second time last night, front row both times

have you been to a metal show? it's no louder than any generic metal band, bring earplugs if you're a softie or don't

it's just a show
the loud parts are good
the less loud parts are really boring

he turns the climate control to a reasonable level

expect the crowd to be a bunch of pitchfork kids and awkward Sup Forumstants as well as a few dad types

expect gira to mumble into the mic and try extra hard to be a dick to live up to his personality

make sure to catch okkyung lee though!! she put on a great show

sweaty Sup Forums betas

wear earplugs unless you're worried about someone like calling you a fag

cinci Sup Forumstant? I just bought tix. I'm really excited. I know they aren't like a "play the hits" kind of band but I hope they play screen shot.

>expect gira to mumble into the mic and try extra hard to be a dick to live up to his personality
gira is pretty normal when he's just talking dude, he doesn't even say anything unusual. He's pretty polite actually.

they played screenshot when i saw them in boston
these, op. I forgot earplugs but someone there was nice enough to give me a pair.

the past 50 years of white man music condescend through sheer spite?

>they played screenshot
>confirmed that I will die happy
thanks!

yeah, no, he's a dick to be a dick

i saw them on the seer tour and he whipped a water bottle into the crowd just to be edgy

this time he was a huge princess about the lights and heating and after making everyone wait while he got it just right he goes "yeah well whatever"

then later he stopped the show to mess with amp settings

he just seems like he's trying to live up to his reputation of being a douche

he was fine when I saw him in detroit

thats what I've heard to, my bass player saw them on the tour promoting seer, gira stopped the show to berate the pedal steel player for some reason and (according to my friend) it just didn't seem authentic. he was being a dick to live up the idea that hes a total dick

they're playing the same setlist for the entire tour it looks like so you will!

Yeah man pretty excited. Hopefully there are more than 0 females there lol

i am

Swans are faggots at the moment, and have been since the reunion (I like to call them Swans II since then). There's no denying it. They don't crank that fucking volume up like they used to. That's what I'm saying. Fuck.

| wish Gira hadn't sissied down to the pathetic old man he is now.

>0 females
i have the coolest gf ever she bought the tix

Yeah man pretty excited. Hopefully there are more than 0 females there lol

maybe they got self aware about being a Sup Forumscore meme

No you're wrong.
He was so fucking humble when I spoke to him after they performed. He just is a perfectionist and if the sound guy sucks he might be a little on edge while they perform.

serious question: did gira rape larkin grimm? I think he did, and even if he's innocent, which I don't believe is true, the mere thought of it shook my head up so much that I disposed of every Swans record. I hope I will be able to forget about this horrible human.

nah

Don't be retarded.

protect your ass from that rapist

and enjoy the music of course

>this time he was a huge princess about the lights and heating and after making everyone wait while he got it just right he goes "yeah well whatever"
>then later he stopped the show to mess with amp settings
>he just seems like he's trying to live up to his reputation of being a douche
he's just trying to make sure his show is set up well, you idiot. he sounds like a perfectionist. as for the water bottle thing, who gives a fuck?

Unwanted penetration.

>then later he stopped the show to mess with amp settings
Norman Westburg asked him to do that

I saw them last tour and didn't bring ear plugs. I stood front row. My ears were ringing for at least a week afterwards. Do not be like me.

>this time he was a huge princess about the lights and heating and after making everyone wait while he got it just right he goes "yeah well whatever"
Stage lighting is one of the worst things to deal with while playing.

I'm seeing them in about a week in DC. Planning on being in the front row. Is it absolutely necessary to wear ear plugs? I've never worn mine to the shows ive been and the only time ive had trouble hearing after one has been for AnCo.

oh wait, was this in reference to the larkin claim?

Why does Sup Forums have such a hardon for Swans?

I've listened to them for years but it only seemed like recently that they reached meme status here.

What is the cause of all this? Fantano?

i am seeing them in september. kind of wish i had gone during tbk tour instead but still expecting quasi-religious experience

>What is the cause of all this? Fantano?
and Pitchfork yeah

There was a good amount of women at the Milwaukee show.

I saw them on TBK too and I honestly think they were better this time around

yeah it was a recent development. i think it really took off after tbk because that is arguably the most listenable swans album ever, besides burning world which is second rate. i suspect it was a band people had meant to get into forever and then tbk came out and they finally took the plunge (that's me desu)

you're gonna need ear plugs and a butt plug

I never saw the Swans, but once I was in the front row of a very loud post-punk show and I experienced a violent pain in my ears that night and I had some pretty annoying tinnitus for a year or two after this.
Since then, I always put ear plugs or at least a bunch of paper in my ears during rock shows.
One time, I also took a thousand milligrams of DPH despite the testimonials of a shit load of people on the internet saying this drug was a very unpleasant. Guess what ? I had one of the worst bad trip of my life (listening to EVOL while tripping on this was interesting though).
Believe what people tell you when 99% of them are unanimous about this kind of shit.

This. I have been to see Swans though, and ear plugs DID save my hearing. I met Gira after the show too, he was a pretty cool guy and we hung out for a bit. I got pretty wasted and my asshole was sore the next day. I really would recommend a butt plug, almost as essential as ear plugs when seeing Swans.

same boat for me. I didn't really get it until I sat down to listen to tbk

anyone seeing them in NC next week?

>Expect the energy of the crowd to be a mix between a death metal show and a Pentecostal church service.
holy fuck this. there will be metal heads head banging violently and qt short haired hipster girls standing silently

Seeing them in October, how do TGM tracks come across live compared to the album? I saw them in 2014 and they were fantastic

FLEX YOUR MUSCLES
L
E
X

Y
O
U
R

M
U
S
C
L
E
S

I wanted to see them recently, but I couldn't afford to, especially after having already spent a bunch of money on going to another concert.

But it seems like Swans was more of a niche thing on Sup Forums back in the day, and now everyone is sperging out over them.

Personally I think Gira is past his creative peak and he's just going through the motions.

Rape

>He was trying to make the show as enjoyable as possible for the audience
>Norman Westburg started fucking with his amp and Gira got mad at him for holding up the show

Gira is a good guy you dick

SPACE CUNT
P
A
C
E

C
U
N
T

I am. Looking forward to it, I missed them the last time they came around

>things people say who have never seen Swans live

Gira can rape me anytime.

Larkin Grimm told the whole story in an interview, and it cleared up pretty much everything. It was clearly just a drunken misunderstanding no matter how you look at it.

absolute garbage

I'm in the same boat. They didn't really click for me until TBK came out

Lmao

not even gira is wearing earplugs, why bother?

their music has to be physical painful

enjoy tinnitus

do you go there with earplugs in, or do you put them in right before the show? im insecure as fuck

iam immune to tinnitus

dude how do you even function in day to day life

Where's Thor?
Who's the new keyboardist?

Put them in when the music starts

Thor's Gone
Keyboardist has a jew-fro

FLEX YOUR ANUS

kekd a lot

is Thor actually gone? that's sad he was the most charismatic and fun of the bunch

This

Yeah, I was really disappointed when I saw he wasn't there. Show was fantastic anyway.

where'd he go do we know?

They will. They basically keep the same set for the entire tour and they've played it every night so far.

The world looks red/the world looks black changes alot live. The Glowing Man is incredible

he DID warn you though
16:10 onwards
youtube.com/watch?v=0sdOvQjtUrg

You forgot the part where he wages war with the sound guys for the duration of the show

POTY

He plays the same set for every show
It's not any louder than a normal rock show
He's a dick to the sound guy and constantly nags his band mates about playing at the wrong volume
Neckbeards and hipsters EVERYWHERE
It's alright

woah some water what an atrocity no musician has ever dared to throw a water bottle into the crowd

The Milwaukee show was filled to the brim with beautiful women and ugly men.

You put them in when you need them, dude.

I just went to a Car Seat Headrest show and I was the only one with earplugs. It's not my fault that my ears are shit when it comes to loud noise, and I'm not gonna have a bad time because I'm afraid of shitty people judging me.

You have to realize that no one cares about you that much. They just wanna have a good time.

yeah wtf that's pretty standard at every show I've ever been to but it has mainly been hip hop shows

or maybe he's just a fucking human being and has both good and bad days. shocking right?

i'll see these cinci dudes in a couple hours.

I'm going to see them in London on October the 13th so monitoring this thread

I'm guessing that he is standing on a different side of the stage.

Hoping to see them on October 18th

one question: if I want him to sign a poster or a vinyl, is it cool to take a backpack to carry it in or should I just leave it?

This.
I hate dealing with this thing and how it's become a meme.
I basically have become autistic about it to the point where I have a 3 line defense against any swans fans.

Don't get fucking tinnitus. My friends dragged me to a Marilyn Manson and Slipknot show they won VIP tickets for. We skipped Mice and Men who were the opener b/c my friends don't have great taste, but even they don't like Of Mice and Men. Manson was shit, but Slipknot was fun as always. The point being, you don't fucking want tinnitus. I got it in my left ear from not wearing earplugs through either performance.
It fucking sucks and it never goes away. Sometimes it gets pointlessly loud. Also either wear earplugs or don't, don't take them out. Your ears are capable of protecting themselves to a very minor degree due to the pressure, but if you take them out, that's gone. Don't rely on it either.

Very interesting contrast for sure

Why would anyone pay to see this?

youtube.com/watch?v=Xs6m9HeWXck

Link?

this is essentially the swans aesthetic, or invasive grooves

I wore ear plugs and still thought I was going to loose my hearing. Somehow I didn't

I'm going to that show, its at Terminal West so its only like a 20 minute drive for me.

they don't play oxygen live anymore