Ok Sup Forums I want to expand my rap taste, the only rap albums I listen to are the money store and mbdtf...

Ok Sup Forums I want to expand my rap taste, the only rap albums I listen to are the money store and mbdtf, where should I start?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ldXrnwE9Gok
youtube.com/watch?v=7l5aaHaFU68
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

congrats 2 albums in and u already fucked up just give up

the first album like you would for any other genre

fucking look at a chart

try Eric B. & Rakim, Wu-tang Clan, EPMD, and A Tribe Called Quest.
Just some stuff I like, but most of them considered classics.

Yeezus is basically Kanye's TMS knock-off, so start there. (Still an awesome album)
From there try expanding into some well known but good stuff, like OutKast, Wu Tang, Kendrick, Beastie Boys (mainly Paul's Botique, but Hot Sauce Committee is good too) and try other stuff from Kanye and DG, they both have huge discogs that are pretty solid as a whole.

why bother

The College Dropout, Illmatic, Outkast's entire discography, A Piece of Strange, The Low End Theory, Midnight Marauders, The Chronic, Paul's Boutique, 3 Feet H

this but ease into it like start with songs that fit your rap preferences, and then you'll really be able to appreciate the others as you get more used to the genre

>Rap
>Taste

Why do we have so many of these embarrising threads of people saying ''I want to broaden and expand my tastes'', then ask for fucking memerap or metal.

illmatic
the infamous

Nas - Illmatic
The Notorious BIG - Ready to Die
A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory
Outkast - Aquemini
Dr. Dre - The Chronic
De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
Kanye West - The College Dropout

Step 1: Listen to Kanye's other albums

Step 2:

If you liked Yeezus, check out Travis Scott's Rodeo. If you like that, Days Before Rodeo

If you liked 808s (or anything before MBDTF really), listen to Kid Cudi's Man on the Moon

If you liked "Ultralight Beam" on Pablo, try Chance's Coloring Book

If you liked the instrumental on "FSMH" and/or you liked that deep voiced mumbly guy on "Father" and "Freestyle 4", go to Future's Monster and Beast Mode

If you like that raspy guy on "No More Parties" go to (yuck) To Pimp a Butterfly

If you liked the music from "No More Parties" / you like how Kanye manipulates soul samples anywhere, go to Madvillainy (and Shades of Blue and Donuts afterward)

If you like Raekwon's verse at the end of "Gorgeous" go to Enter the 36 Chambers, Liquid Swords, and Only Built For Cuban Linx...

If you like Rick Ross' on "Devil in a New Dress" go to Teflon Don

If you like Nicki Minaj's features go to the Pinkprint

If you like any Jay Z features go to Jay Z

For Death Grips go to B L A C K I E and maybe Dalek I guess

there. you now are introduced to hip hop

Just listen to Autechre's elseq 1-5 it achieves rhythm in a way hip hop can only dream

>tries to expand rap horizons
>gets recommend a shitty 3 hour electronic homework assignment

I stand corrected
>gets recommended a shitty 4* hour electronic homework assignment

youtube.com/watch?v=ldXrnwE9Gok

This guys pretty great

yeah wtf lol

Earl Sweatshirt Discography
Chance the Rapper Discography including Good Enough

All of Stitches work.

I guess it'll feel like a homework assignment to the feeble minded, but for those with true intellect there's far more different things to pick up than everything else posted in this topic put together.

>tries to expand rap horizons
>gets recommended a shitty 4 hour ELECTRONIC homework assignment
>defends the fact that what he has been recommended is in no way what he asked for

>implying there's no hip hop on elseq
Goddamn, summer really brought in the retards it seems. Especially the ones who pretend to act like they know what they are talking about.

FUCK OFF

Whatever man, have fun wasting 4 hours on beeps and bloops when you could be listening to:
To Pimp a Butterfly - Kendrick Lamar
Outkast - Aquemini or Stankonia
Run the Jewels - 1 or 2
N.E.R.D. - In Search Off...
Y'know, actual RAP albums

>same old funk/dub inspired crap that's been done since the late 60s
Yeah sure, I'll listen to the most groundbreaking and transcendental record to come out this generation, and you'll still be listening to boots and cats

boooooo

>implying hip hop and rap go hand and hand
>especially when "rap" implies there is an artist rapping over a beat
I personally don't have anything against people with Down syndrome but I don't think they should be let loose on Sup Forums

All those artists are literally terrible. Just STFU.

>something that hasn't been done before is all of a sudden groundbreaking and interesting
When bands start using animals as musical instruments, I bet you'll be right there jerking off to it because it's "never been done in the last century"

Most likely because it's fucking retarded and not everything new is better than what's existed for decades

Then rec the guy some jazz! Oh wait, you don't actually care about "rapping" and it's okay. Elseq has proved that human voices are obsolete anyway.

What? No! Don't you see you stupid idiot? Autechre has made living things obsolete in that regard. Unlike conventional obsolete hip hop which is literally made by animals, elseq is far above that.

Oh right, he asked for rap albums, how silly of me.
Maybe he'd prefer the early discography of Yes or The Village People.
Cuz rap can't be enjoyed because it's rap, amirite?

Those rap artists are some of the worst. Might as well not rec anything at all if you're going to rec fucking Kendrick Gaymar or pop-band Outkast.

good post man. if anyone likes College Dropout Kanye they should check out Common's Be

MF DOOM
George watsky (kind of a meme but whatever give it a try)
Nas
Bishop nehru

>implies I came on here to voice my love for rap
>implies an album that just recently dropped deletes the need for lyrics over an entire civilization of songwriters
Oh wait, you don't actually care about "talking" or "socializing" or "collaborating" with "living, oxygen-breathing humans" and it's okay. You don't have to socialize with anyone when you have a computer, a recently purchased album, and an application to make your own worthless "beats" without ever bothering a single living organism.

But that time has gone by now. Just because it existed for fucking ever doesn't mean it can't get obsolete. Like the appendix, hip hop and other music that relies on humans has been outclassed. You do realize that it's the computer that actually made the beats and composed right? Not those two guys who call themselves Autechre. We have almost reached singularity and "rapers" still think talking about muh drugs and muh hood and muh swag is still important.

A shitty rap album is better than an album with no fucking rap involved whatsoever when recommending albums with RAP included in them. In fact, the guy asking for recommendations doesn't have "patrician" tastes like you throw yourself out to have, but has only listened to 2 of what may be the most overrated rap albums of the last fucking ever (right next to To Pimp A Butterfly).

forget tms and just listen to mbdtf on repeat, eventually you'll reach an higher plane of existance and all that existencial pain will desapear, works everytime

Ignoring the shit-show this thread has become. Some unique hip-hop records I think you should check out:

cLOUDDEAD - cLOUDDEAD (Ambiance is a core tenet, not so much hip-hop as hip-hop is the "default mode," so to speak)
J Dilla - Donuts (Instrumental hip-hop. Pretty much an essential)
Lil Ugly Mane - Third Side of Tape (Like cLOUDDEAD but longer and way more varied)
The Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde (Jazz Rap, fun as fuck)
Freddie Gibbs - Pinata (Pretty much a gangsta version of Madvilliany)
DJ Screw - 3 n' the Morning (Chopped and Screwed southern rap. Psychedelic comfiness a tons)
Kid Koala - Some of My Best Friends are DJ's (A nice example of vibrant turntablism)
Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back (Classic. Probably the best 80s hip-hop classic musically and definitely aged the best)
Denzel Curry - Imperial (Trap Rap. Only example of a consistently good trap rap album I've really seen)

I'm not the guy who was suggesting shitty Autechre, you idiot.

youtube.com/watch?v=7l5aaHaFU68
guys legit retarded

I'm not implying that you are that autechre dickrider. I'm implying that you hold your rap music to a WAY higher standard than OP does since he's only listened to 2 albums that are alright albums disguised as milestones in rap/hip-hop music.

hey grandpa what was christmas like in the forties

Lil Ugly Mane is GOAT. Check out Mista Thug Isolation, then check out Weeping Worm and Oblivion Access.

Bust A Sag is the most underrated song he has tho.

>"i'm listen to shitty idm thats created by autistic bald guys in their basements, look how special and interesting i am!"

>rec'ing any DJ Screw release that isn't Wineberry over Gold as a first listen

for shame

schoolboy q - blank face lp

>calls other people feeble minded for listening to a different genre of music
>thinks droning idm is for those with true intellect
>doesnt realize idm has been dead for years due to the endless autechre clones
could you be any more autistic

>"wanting" to have a taste in a genre you havent even bothered to listen to

Jesus i forgot how insufferable this board was

>my shirt looks stupid if my pants aint low

Apparently, it's not even that good of a scenario. This guy claims the idm is made by the computer that those autistic bald guys use and they just jack off while the next "musical revolution" takes place

>calling a post with far newer concepts than even what he's used to "grandpa"

It's literally made by an AI what are you on?

Did you know that Autechre made albums after Chiastic Slide, too? You know stuff that NO OTHER ARTIST HAS BEEN ABLE TO DO?

At least this ones not as stupid as the rest of you.

people start out as insufferable when they're young and immature, and as they grow, they stop, and then they eventually leave this board

its a never ending cycle

Good starting place

PATRICIAN LIST INCOMING

Classics:

South
UGK- Ridin' Dirty
Scarface- The Diary
Big Moe- City of Syrup
Goodie Mob- Soul Food
CunninLynguists- A Piece of Strange
Lil Wayne- Da Drought 3, No Ceilings, Dedication 2 and The Carter 2
Gucci Mane- Traphouse 3, Chicken Talk, The State vs Radric Davis

West Coast
Snoop Dogg- Doggystyle
Warren G- Regulate... G Funk Era
DJ Quik- Safe + Sound
Mac Dre- The Game Is... Thick Part 2
NWA- Straight Outta Compton
The Game- Documentary

East Coast (New York)
GZA- Liquid Swords
Mobb Deep- The Infamous
Cam'Ron- Purple Haze
Jay Z- The Black Album
50 Cent- Get Rich or Die Tryin
Public Enemy- It Takes a Nation of Million to Hold us Back
Gang Starr- Moment of Truth
Mos Def- Black on Both Sides
Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth- Mecca and the Soul Brother
Black Star- Mos Def & Talib Kweli Are Black Star
The Roots- Things Fall Apart
Big L- Lifestyles Ov Da Poor and Dangerous
Big Pun- Capital Punishment

Other
MF DOOM- Madvillainy
Deltron 3030- Deltron 3030
Dizee Rascal- Boy in Da Corner
Blu & Exile- Below the Heavens
Cannibal Ox- The Cold Vein
Quasimoto- The Unseen
Clipse- Hell Hath No Fury
Eminem- MMLP & SSLP
cLOUDDEAD - cLOUDDEAD
Lil Ugly Mane- Mista Thug Isolation
Common- Be

Instrumental
MF DOOM- Special Herbs Series
DJ Shadow- Endtrocing
J Dilla- Donuts
Madlib- Beat Konducta Series
Knxwledge Beat Tapes

New School:
Future- DS2
Kendrick Lamaar- Good Kid, MAAD City
ScHoolboy Q- Habits & Contradictions
Anderson .Paak- Malibu
Chance the Rapper- Acid Rap
Isaiah Rashaad- Cilvia Demo
Tyler, the Creator- Bastard
Rick Ross- Rich Forever
Lil B- God's Father
Earl Sweatshirt- I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside
Young Thug- Barter 6, Slime Season 3
Lil Yachty- Lil Boat
YG- Still Brazy
Maxo Kream- The Persona Tape
Travi$ Scott- Rodeo
Joey Bada$$- 1999
A$ap Rocky- Live.Love.A$ap
Freddie Gibbs & Madlib- Pinata
Shabazz Palaces- Black Up
Mick Jenkis- The Water[s]
Jazz Cartier- Marauding in Paradise
Chief Keef- Finally Rich

Character limit hit me but also

East Coast
DMX- It's Dark and Hell is Hot
Redman- Whut? Thee Album

Other
Lauryn Hill- The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill

New School:
Denzel Curry- Imperial, N64
Mac Miller- Faces
Meek Mill- Dreamchasers 2
Drake- Take Care
Kid Cudi- Man on the Moon 1 & 2
Action Bronson- Blue Chips
Curren$y- Pilot Talk series
Flatbush Zombies- BetteroffDEAD
Big Krit- Return of 4eva
Rae Sremmurd- SremmLife
Vince Staples- Summertime 06

Shit I forgot 2pac

All Eyez on Me
Me Against the World

Add to Instrumenta/Other
Nujabes- Metaphorical Music

Add Danny Brown- XXX to new school

Need some DJ Krush in that instrumental section famm

still brazy and lil boat too for some recent shit

Immortal technique and dead prez to get you thinking bout shit too

add Jedi Mind Tricks to that 2nd category

good call

dude your list has some serious quality control problems. half of it is trash

>Trap God isn't on the Gucci Mane list
>Game is fucking terrible
>Monster and Beast Mode both blow DS2 out of the water
>I like Chance but Acid Rap is below his potential. Coloring Book is an improvement by leaps and bounds
>Tyler is a meme
>Rich Forever Barter 6 shouldn't be on there, SS3 is where Thug finally solidified his sound
>Chief Keef can write singles but Finally Rich is fucking terrible holistically
>Meek Mill is trash
>Action Bronson??? ACTION BRONSON??? BUT NOT A SINGLE GODDAMN GHOSTFACE ALBUM

try aesop rock. his beats are hit or miss, but his lyrics are always fucking entertaining to listen to.

Great post. The MVP

is this the cringe thread

For Death Grips, Dalek or .clipping are going to be their closest contemporaries. You also might want to try Shabazz Palaces or CLOUDDEAD.

The Beastie Boys' Licensed to Ill or Ill Communication are good bridges if you are coming from a rock background.

cringe