Went to the Swans show last night. Just wanted to say that earplugs are not a meme...

Went to the Swans show last night. Just wanted to say that earplugs are not a meme. I stood right up on the stage with no earplugs and I still can't hear for shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html
staythirstymedia.com/201302-078/html/201302-lyman-swans.html
theatlantic.com/health/archive/2016/07/human-hearing-loss-could-be-reversible/491777/
pitchfork.com/news/66939-hearing-loss-may-be-reversible-new-study-shows/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>earplugs are not a meme
No shit

I'll keep it in mind, I can't wait to see them in September in Dallas. What was the show like?

People say that they are on here constantly and I feel for it.
It was fucking incredible, even better than I had hoped. About a half an hour in I was completely lost in the fucking sound. Also got to meet Gira after the show and he autographed my copy of The Body Lovers/The Body Haters.

Seeing them Friday in Atlanta, how was it?

Fucking fuck I should've stayed after the Toronto show.

Always do. Last time I saw them when we were talking to Gira, Gira's like "I gotta go guys" like he was busy but STILL stayed like an extra five minutes to sign me and my friends stuff, get pictures, and me just gush on like an idiot fanboy about how much his music has helped me through hard times. People might often paint him out to be an ass, but honestly I think he has the patience of a saint sometimes.

My poor excuse was that I had a long drive home and work the next day. It was my first Swans show so I had no idea what to expect. I am currently debating whether to fly to another city for a mini vacation and see them again for the very last time

Nice one retard, were you the guy on here asking for advice for your first Swans show yesterday?

Because if you willingly ignored the advice to get a shitload of earplugs you fucked it.

>implying Gira is just going to disappear.
I guarantee he'll either start doing more solo stuff or reboot Angels of Light or something and then in a few years reboot Swans again.

Have you faggots never been to a concert before? Swans was no louder than your average metal band. I've seen Dominican pop artists that are at least twice as loud as Swans.

It's all a bunch of hype bullshit.

That wasn't me friendo, don't get so angry.

Well then it's totally fine, congrats on getting to meet Gira, I missed out on that.

Thanks, I just said a quick word to him because I didn't want to waste his time but it still felt really cool. He seems like such a great guy.

I was there last night too! I'm so glad I went.
bring earplugs.
he will cut the air conditioning!
god live version of "the glowing man" is 10/10

I thought I would take my earplug out during "screen shot" but it was deafeningly loud at the loud parts I had to putem back in.

>taking your earplugs off during the show
that's even worse on your ears you fuck

>god live version of "the glowing man" is 10/10
This. That riff is a monster

God yes. I thought Cloud of Unknowing was fucking incredible as well.

Cloud of Unknowing and Glowing man were easily the best parts.

Nice one. Your ears will never be the same btw. Right now you're just experiencing a temporary threshold shift, however you will definitely come away with some form of hearing loss and/or tinnitus.

Seriously, don't go to any show without earplugs. It's not worth feeling cool.

How come not even Gira wears them on stage?

He does, they're just hard to see.
Not true, stop trying to scare people. Permanent hearing loss only comes after consistent exposure, i.e. if you were to do it daily for a couple weeks.

have a court date in Worcester MA the day before DC show

just end me now boys

maybe I'll catch them in NY

Top 50 band.

I hope, i can't see Swans this year and i want to see them eventually

There's really no need to worry, I don't think there's ever been a time Gira wasn't performing with one group or another.

swans never comes to Florida and I can't drive or fly anywhere else to see them. feels bad man.

Does swaying and headbanging make you look like a faggot? I naturally do it and it makes the experience way more enjoyable but I feel like it might make me look like a retard.

>is dancing at a concert weird?
No, that makes you normal lol

Okay good. I only ask because it seems like a good portion of people at Swans shows stand perfectly still, not even bobbing their heads. Just didn't know if it was some unspoken thing or something.

>go to Monet exhibit at museum
>wear tinted glasses

This is how retarded plug fags sound

Have fun with your hearing loss.

Gira allegedly dislikes headbanging.

Don't stand right next to a speaker and you'll be fine unless you have weak eardrums

Enjoy your tinnitus dipshit

p sure this is a meme, like the one about how gira will beat your ass if you wear earplugs

>noise band is actually pretty noisy live

whoa

Now that I think about it, does anyone know of any good noise bands/artists that do fairly regular shows?

"weak eardrums"

holy shit

>if you were to do it daily for a couple weeks.

concerts can go up to 140 dB, which is like standing in front of a jet engine for 2 hours, stop trying to justify op's stupid decisions

>in 4 b-but you're just making that up!!!1 ;_;

gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html

>Permanent hearing loss only comes after consistent exposure, i.e. if you were to do it daily for a couple weeks.
you're a goddamn idiot

>hurr i'm trolling

wow so cool, hope you get hit by a bus

Drumlet detected

Samefag and also, I'm right, ask any doctor.
>>hurr i'm trolling
What?

literally autism

What? What are you even talking about?

"weak eardrums" are when you've experienced enough hearing loss that a loud concert isn't as loud for you as it is for other people. eardrums don't grow callouses.

If it were only say, 115dB, then yes, it would take a longer time to cause permanent damage. However 130dB+ for 2 hours would absolutely cause permanent damage. Read the OP, he even says he can't hear for shit now. That clearly shows damage has been done. You're wrong. Take care of your ears dummy.

Or you are born with your moms eardrums and they are weak little twigs

Clearly OP has temporary loss, he says "still" can't hear for shit. It will come back. You sound like you've never been to a loud show without earplugs before, just like everyone stupidly does their first time.

your autism

I'm talking about your autism

It's autistic

Okay, boss. I'm the autistic one here.

admission is the first step to acceptance, I'm proud of you

the sound becomes more muffled after like half an hour without earplugs than it ever is with good earplugs

>Just wanted to say that earplugs are not a meme
first rule of Sup Forums is to not take anything they say seriously

I don't think you understand how ear damage works. I'm not saying he'll be deaf forever. But there WILL be repercussions for doing what he did. Whether that be tinnitus or loss/diminished frequencies. I literally got tinnitus from one specific band rehearsal I had. I played drums with no headphones, and my guitarist friends were also playing loudly. It only takes a few hours of excessive loudness to fuck you up for life. I had the same threshold shift for three days, where I could hardly hear. And I can guarantee my band practice was much less loud than a swans concert.

nah it usually is ok, I know exactly what im doing I have a custom molded earplugs because my aunts an audiologist,

if theres a good sound man and the volume is not completely insane then I usually do a trick where I alternate
>left plug in, right plug out
next song:
>right plug in, left plug out
good song that I came to hear:
>both plugs out.

in the case of swans I would recommend leaving both plugs in for the entire duration, its not really possible to hear half of the music if you dont use ear plugs.

Well this is the reason that, if you value your continued ability to hear and listen to music, you should wear earplugs to any show.

And No-Wave Swans was a lot louder than present day Swans

Are earplugs necessary at a GY!BE concert?

Here's a flow chart.

>yfw i will never see Swans live because i live in a shit country

But I mean even something mellow like a Dylan or Cohen concert?

Going to their show tomorrow and planning on taking a blunt to smoke. Would Gira get upset if I blaze at the concert?

I've gone to two Swans shows in my life, didn't wear ear buds either time. For a week after each show I had to sleep with a fan on because my ears wouldn't stop ringing.

Just be aware of how fucked your hearing can get in a relatively short amount of time. Swans belts you with literal walls of sound. Like, you can feel your clothes ripple.

i did that a swans concert and gira yelled "DUDE", not sure what he meant by that

He probably meant you are a dipshit

Kek

How could you possibly enjoy Swans high. Their music is like pure paranoia to me.

I would say don't do that. There's all sorts of stories of him taking people's cell phones if they're being disruptive or giving people dirty looks until they stop doing something that's bothersome. You don't want Michael Gira to hate you, right?

When Gira yells your ears will fucking bleed i'm still upset, i felt intoxicated just watching this band play last tour.

Im from Argentina and on August they will play here for the first time. I will go with my gf and it will be the best night of my life.

I saw Swans on a festival last year. A line of two hundred people waited for him a he signed a took pictures with everyone.

He's getting old, though

>Just got a reply that manager won't give me Friday off to see them despite having requested it early last week
>Considering driving 9 hours round trip to see them in Asheville Saturday
At this point I'll probably say "fuck it" and do it. This could be the last time I have a chance to see them, and The Glowing Man is one of my favorite things they've released. I figure people have traveled two towns over for dumber reasons.

Just stepping in to say that I got tinnitus from a single loud show without plugs, I want to go back in time and kick my own ass for thinking "ahh, it'll be fine"

What show was it?

I got tinnitus from a Sleepy Sun show, how sad is that?

No. They're loud but not "harsh" loud. I'm normally a staunch earplug fag but I've seen them twice and ended up taking them out as soon as they started (they sound so damn good live) and didn't have any ringing or hearing loss. It mostly comes down to the frequencies you're getting. Even the famously loud Sunn can be seen without earplugs because it's mostly extreme low frequencies, whereas with a metal or noise rock band you have a lot of shrieking higher frequencies, which your ears are much more sensitive too.

Godspeed have a very "thick" guitar tone and no piercing high freqs.

Should have yelled back "WEED" then imitated Seth Rogen's laugh

I asked him what was next at the Cleveland show a few days ago and he said it wasn't clear in his head yet but it certainly seemed like he wasn't done with music altogether

Between the Buried and Me. For what it's worth I was right next to a speaker stack, but the mixing was absolutely terrible and I could see a few other people grimacing at the loud parts.

When was this? I'm seeing Devin Townsend and Between the Buried and Me on this tour
guess I need earplugs?

A few years ago when they were touring for TGM.

Yeah, I bring earplugs to any metal show. Even if you're not right up front it's good to have them just in case. Bad mixing can turn a metal act into a nightmare.

J Mascis ACOUSTIC show was louder than Built to Spill

you guys think they will announce more tour dates later or are these officially all the dates for the glowing man tour?

They said they'd do international dates so iunno if they've announced those yet.
But I doubt they'll do "second legs" or stuff like that, I imagine this is all there is for the US.

prurient, merzbow. honestly, check out your local scene

ITT: Pussies who wear ear plugs at concerts.

Your average persons hearing slowly degrades after 25 anyway, suck it up, almost every musician has some mild degree of tinnitus anyway.

Who cares, Gira never wears earplugs and he can still communicate and make music, granted his hearing has probably taken a massive hit. Most people have hearing loss and tinnitus to some degree anyway, who the fuck cares. Millenials are so cautious about everything because they have been coddled growing up. Almost every person I know over 25 who has played music has mild to severe tinnitus or minor hearing loss, it comes with the territory of being a musician. Jesus christ.

Read an interview a while back where Gira talked about completely stopping drug use in the early days of swans, Jarboe was straight edge, Gira doesn't seem interested in/supportive of drug use or culture, he hasn't for decades, he's more of a drinker. I wouldn't risk it,he did a lot of drugs in his younger years but he seems to be against it, he has for a while.

Just call in sick and get a doctors certificate you faggot.

Lol yeah, Devin Townsend has horrible tinnitus from years of playing at loud levels.

>He does, they're just hard to see.
MICHAEL GIRA: Exactly, yeah, you're inside of it. And everyone in the band wears earplugs except for myself so…

STAY THIRSTY: And you probably never have?

MICHAEL GIRA: No. I can't conceive of it – it'd be cheating or something.

staythirstymedia.com/201302-078/html/201302-lyman-swans.html

Foolish argument.

Just because artists who play music for a living have hearing damage doesn't mean the rest of us have to.

It's a really myopic viewpoint to say "you're going to lose it anyway so stop caring" because there is merit in doing what you can to preserve your hearing. Once it's gone, it's not coming back, so why accelerate the process?

you know it's better to bring them than leave them, you can just take them off and put them in your pocket dummy

I have never worn earplugs before in my life and I wasn't going to start I popped them in as soon as Swans set started because it was so fucking loud. I love that it was like getting hit with a physical force of sound but I needed them for that situation

Human Hearing Loss Could Be Reversible!

theatlantic.com/health/archive/2016/07/human-hearing-loss-could-be-reversible/491777/

pitchfork.com/news/66939-hearing-loss-may-be-reversible-new-study-shows/

hell be fine

wtf are you talking about? Millennials are retarded when it comes to protecting their ears. They blast music through headphones and earbuds and never wear ear plugs at concerts. How about you take care of your body while you're young so you don't grow up a deaf old man.

>how bout you take care of your body when you're young so don't grow up to be a deaf old man

'Eethoven did it and he was a fukken badass

Seriously though I got temporary tinnitus from a Melt Banana concert and even though I don't notice anything now 1) it hurt like shit at the time and 2) it probably will bite me in the ass in the future

Most concerts are okay to go without but if you're going to Swans or Deafheaven or some shit put in the goddamn plugs

When I saw Swans they had a huge box filled with earplugs for folks who didn't bring any. Guess that was the venue's decision, and a bloody brilliant one at that.