/mcr/ general

My Chemical Romance general. Other similar bands are welcome.

Favourite album?

Favourite song?

Favourite era/dress style?

Other urls found in this thread:

ew.com/article/2016/07/20/my-chemical-romance-tease-september?iid=sr-link1
youtube.com/watch?v=74kWBdUc9Jk
youtube.com/watch?v=_5e4BRTK0qI&list=LL7pGas6ul7Dtx5Zovv3dWWQ&index=2
youtube.com/watch?v=_5YBhhb3yaA
youtube.com/watch?v=OLlfiP6gQXk
youtube.com/watch?v=9hjz9TmkAoU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

theyve never put out a bad album (or bad anything really)
right now my favorite song is Zero Percent which was either not released on U.S versions of DD or was on deluxe editions. its so good

i am a fan of the members solo work as well. i got to see pic related live last year around this. i met him and he was fucking short and awkward but really chill

Album: Black Parade

Favorite Song: Famous Last Words

Favourite era/dress style: Danger Days is pretty solid.

what did everyone think of Conventional Weapons?

Still haven't really given it a chance. They were so expensive and my sister didn't want to pay for it.
>they've never put out a bad album
I agree 100%

Bump

>tfw it's dead already

you guys see what they're teasing? a reunion or something

Three Cheers is such a good fucking album. I personally think it's more cohesive than Black Parade but just like user said, there's not a single bad album.

(even if no one can fucking play on bullets)

have you listened to the pinkish ep dude?

Hesistant Alien is pretty okay, but Pinkish and Don't Try are both really fucking good

I hope so.

>Zero Percent
my motherfucking nigga

it's a reissue for BP
ew.com/article/2016/07/20/my-chemical-romance-tease-september?iid=sr-link1

sorry guise

>album
right now, tie between bullets/revenge

>song
tie between Demolition Lovers and FTWWW

>era/dress style
Danger Days. The music is pretty good, but the style for that era was dope as hell.

No one actually knows what's happening yet. A reissue would be boring as fuck. Just another way for a corporate music label to milk their fans.
I think my fave era would be Three Cheers. Ties in as in my favourite album too. Danger Days would be a close second. I fucking love them all though.

I heavily enjoy it. Songs like Boy Division, Kiss The Ring, Burn Bright, etc. have something really special around them. I understand why they scrapped the songs, but, they have that signature MCR flair.

All their albums are fucking great. Every album has something so different about it while also keeping the same MCR flair that was a mixture of Misfits-style punk and Bowie-style glam rock.

They were so special and never got their credit.

>They were so special and never got their credit.
I really hope, one day that people do.
>MCR flair that was a mixture of Misfits-style punk and Bowie-style glam rock.
Yeah, and it was great how they changed styles of music and look every single album. It was perfect. Nothing ever stayed the same. Perfect example of a band who evolved a lot, and for the better.

the EW article says "a source confirms," but maybe we can hold out hope?

none of the members have said anything yet...

Hopefully something gets leaked or pops up in the next week or so. I genuinely think they could book sell out shows if they had a reunion tour.

I hope they aren't reuniting just because I feel like they would pull a Fall Out Boy
A remastered Black Parade is more likely and what I'm hoping for

I also would miss bragging to my friends that I saw them in concert before they broke up, but that isn't a good reason

I only know of a couple of people excluding my sister that listen to them. We all went to the same concert about 6 months or so before they broke up. Funnily enough I didn't even know those people back then but they were there at that same concert. Small world.

fucking agreed

It could just be cause it's so important to me, but there's something just so right about their music. Just, well-built and good.

Which, that said, can we appreciate Ray Toro's fucking musical ability? This band would be a lot less noteworthy without guitar playing and arranging ability.

I think Gerard's vision and Ray's ability was what created that lightning-in-a-bottle effect. They managed to realize that sense of grandeur every event in your life has when you're coming of age.

>none of the members have said anything yet
Gerard hasn't tweeted since almost a month ago. Mikey is ignoring everyone. Ray hasn't tweeted in a few days. and Frank is only tweeting about Death Spells.

Usually the members A) deflect the reunion tweets or B) heckle the shit out of people that are annoying with it. They're all silent.

I really want a reunion, but Black Parade reissue/anniversary tour is more likely.

>can we appreciate Ray Toro's fucking musical ability
We can. He's an underrated guitarist in general. I'm listening to The Black Parade right now and his solos are fucking great. Especially in "Dead."

I would unironically love to see him work with someone like Jack White somehow.

i always make sure to credit ray when someone asks me about my guitar influences

Ray's incredible ability in MCR being so fucking great is what makes his solo music so disappointing.

Go listen to his cover of Tired of Sex. It's a horrible song.

Funnily enough I always rated him as the most mentally stable of all the band members. He seemed like he had his shit together. All the rest seem to be suffering from some kind of depression or addiction problem. Maybe Frank Iero was stable too.

>Go listen to his cover of Tired of Sex. It's a horrible song.
Is that meant as a compliment to him or something? I'm confused by your statement.

I agree. Gerard and Mikey both went through serious drug/alcohol addiction during their time in the band, and I feel like Frank and Ray holding them down to earth helped the band from imploding.

This is some serious drama llama shit, but I was a huge fan of both MCR and Mindless Self Indulgence growing up. When Gerard Way married the bassist from MSI, the entire makeup of the crowd and MSI shows changed from ravers, chicks in gogo boots, and goths, to literal randomcore Invader Zim bullshit. I wanted to die.
/blog

Tired of Sex, the original, is fantastic.
When I heard Ray did a cover, I was hyped because he has incredible ability. His voice is also pretty good. His cover was so bad I cringed when I first heard it.

I'll give it another listen.

He was saying it's confusing, because he's great with MCR and terrible by himself.
Not that that's unheard of.

Yeah Gerard was heavily depressed. A lot of the fans said he'd have probably killed himself if the band stayed together any longer. I don't know if that's an exaggeration or what, but he's definitely a strange guy.

Oh yeah I love the original. I haven't listened to the cover though. I'll listen to it in a minute. Just about to finished The Black Parade.

>Not that that's unheard of.
That goes for lots of things. I think Ricky Gervais is amazing with Stephen Merchant, but on his own not so much. As a comedian he's hilarious, but when it comes to TV writing he needs Smerch.

Favorite song(s) on Three Cheers?
Mine's Thank You For The Venom

"You Know What They Do To Guys Like Us In Prison". Or "I Never Told You What I Do For A Living".

that was the first song i ever heard by them and only because it was used in the credits of this meme video i watched about a decade ago

Thank You For The Venom, Helena, I Never Told You What I Do For a Living

Also, Desert Song. That song was recorded when Gerard was wasted off his ass and Gerard has said that he wishes they would have included it as the last song on Three Cheers.

>Desert Song
Is it available as a proper song? Like not a leak or bootleg or anything? I haven't listened to Conventional Weapons.

>more cohesive than Black Parade
That's not very difficult considering the fact that Black Parade is full of half-finished songs. Also, Bullets is their best album. Only 15 year olds who aren't old enough to remember it would disagree.

>SO GIMME ALL YOUR POISON
>AND GIMME ALL YOUR PILLS

there's a clip somewhere of gerard and ray harmonizing this backstage and I've never seen anything so pure in my life

>never seen anything so pure in my life
tumblr detected

desert song breaks my fucking heart

>Black Parade is full of half-finished songs
>Only 15 year olds who aren't old enough to remember it would disagree.

Please don't ruin a pretty great thread by shit posting.

I adore Desert Song. The second time I saw them in 2009 they played it live, I nearly died.

2008 I meant. Regardless, that song gives me chills every time.

On Life on the Murder Scene. That's the only version I've ever listened to.

youtube.com/watch?v=74kWBdUc9Jk

Thanks. I've got this on DVD (my sisters). I've never watched it properly though.

Surprised no one has mentioned "Fake Your Death" yet.

Fantastic song imo.

Except that it is full of half-finished songs.
>Title Track goes on for way too long, and sounds like several ideas sloppily thrown together
>Mama should have ended after the BPM change about half-way through
>Teenagers is good until the end of the second verse, when they literally repeat the chorus a dozen times
I'm a musician and it's extremely easy to tell when somebody mashes unrelated ideas together, or repeats a chorus too many times because they need the song to be longer than two minutes.

I would leave that DVD on the title screen just to listen to that song.

Bullets is really great and Headfirst For Halos is one of my favorite MCR songs.

>I'm a musician
Okay user. Now go away.

This.

Watch this performance, and then listen to anything from TBP and tell me that they don't sound tired and out of ideas on that album. You can literally hear the passion and energy on their older albums. TBP is a tired and sloppy uninspired mess of an album.

youtube.com/watch?v=_5e4BRTK0qI&list=LL7pGas6ul7Dtx5Zovv3dWWQ&index=2

I remember when it came out I was really hyped, but something just felt so off about it. I feel like everyone wanted an explosive finale of a track, but none of us really understood it when it first came out. Definitely a fantastic song.

Okay user.

I must've been in the minority then. I don't think I even knew there was going to be a new track. I loved every moment of it though.

I have an unpopular opinion

Their best album is Danger Days

I'm not saying that you can't enjoy that album. I'm just saying that I hate it because it's full of obvious filler, and anybody who was around at the time will tell you that it was a radical shift in direction and many older fans hated it upon release.

Okay user. Whatever you'd like to think. It's a fact of course. Opinions are facts on this board. I remember now.

Which album had the best imagery? I really love Black Parade's.

my friend

WHEN

I

WAS

I can't even compare their work. There are only four albums after all. They're all quite different from one another too. I like them all in their own way.

My personal favourite though is Three Cheers.

Danger Days isn't my favorite, but I will say that in the grand scheme of their discography, it's one of their best. It's such a fucking blast to listen and has so many great tracks (Destroya, Save Yourself I'll Hold Them Back, etc.) that I can't imagine their catalog without it.

this. I feel like my favorite shifts each time I listen to them and then I end up liking them all for different reasons.

A

YOUNG

BOY

MY FATHER

Who's the patrician/contrarian version of MCR?

MCR have to be the Muse to some other band's Radiohead. They have to be.

Sing is an undeniably fantastic track to drive along to and just literally sing your head off.
That's how I feel about MBDTF. I think every song on there has been my favourite at one point.

Do people actually take the "patrician/contrarian" thing seriously? Just like them for who they are. No need to compare.

>all of welcome to the black parade is fucking priceless and you can pry it from my cold dead fingers
>mama is a pretty schizophrenic song but that's what makes it great imo
>you get no argument from me on teenagers
>the one I don't like is famous last words, they used minor verse/major chorus a lot but here it just feels off for some reason, and that riff is great but it comes out of nowhere

my favorites from that album are sharpest lives and dead!
MCR wrote awesome songs when:
>They were taking their angst so damn seriously you couldn't help but do the same, see first favorite
Or
>They were giggling at how ridiculous they and everything else were, see second favorite

Teenagers is great though. I love that it's short and sweet. The guitar solo is good too.

the skeleton guy's name is pepe fun fact

>mfw

TOOK
ME
INTO
THE BASEMENT

There's no source to really back it up from what I googled but that's pretty funny.
Based Tony.

What would you say to a person that loves everything about MCR except for the Danger Days years?

Everything about them clicked for me until that first single off Danger Days came out and in my heart I felt like I was done with them. Is that album not for me? Or Is it worth revisiting?

Favourite album?
Revenge/Bullets, it's hard
Favourite song?
To The End/Cubicles

Favourite era/dress style?
dumb question

I honestly need to get this off my chest, it pisses me off that My Chem are some blog meme now because everyone wishes they had an "emo phase" to talk about, i see the same people who shunned me back in 06 for liking them start tweeting about how excited they are for this anniversary, with their contrived "OMG IM CRYING THIS IS HAPPENING XDXD TIME TO GET MY EYELINER" shit straight from tumblr. they hold no real stock in this band and are only into them now because it's cool. back in the day you weren't cool for like My Chem, The Used, hawthorne Heights, Silverstein.. you were a loser.

>straight from tumblr

To be fair man, a lot of the hardcore fans used tumblr back then, and they still do now. My sister was a diehard fan and her blog had nearly 8k followers or something. It was purely dedicated to MCR.

My ex-gf was a fanatic too. She also posts shit about them on tumblr to this day if I remember correctly. She and her brother have all of the albums, conventional weapons on vinyl, a few my chemical romance merch t-shirts, the umbrella academy comic book series.

yeah but tumblr was only from 2007 and most people didn't even use it back then

Na Na Na is indeed pretty divorced from their other stuff, but I'd say the album is worth a listen

It's definitely poppier than any of their previous, but it's good. If you don't want to listen to the whole thing, try the only hope for me is you, save yourself I'll hold them back, or kids from yesterday

Of course it had less people back then, but it was still wildly popular. My sisters best friend had a blog dedicated to bring me the horizon, and it had in excess of 50,000 followers to the point that she'd actually spoken to Oli Sykes a couple of times. She even got offered to manage a forum dedicated to the band.

Na Na Na is great though imo. It's even been featured in a movie/tv show if I remember correctly.

Same poster btw

>album
Bullets/Three Cheers. Probably liked Black Parade the most at the time of it's release tho.

>favorite song
Cubicles
Vampires Will Never Hurt You
I Don't Love You
...basically any song off of Three Cheers' side B

>Favorite era/dress style?
I don't have a favorite dress style...
My favorite era has to be the time in between the drop of the Life On The Murder Scene DVD/CD and the release of The Black Parade. Desert Song and Bury Me In Black were so fucking awesome from two completely different standpoints and Gerard had just buzzed his hair and bleached it so there was no telling what they were gonna do next. Even though I would become obsessed with The Black Parade I would never be in such ecstatic pre-album hype for them like I was back in late 2005 - early 2006.

I was just replying to user, who said they didn't like the first single from DD
I like na na na a lot personally

sauce on that would be pretty cool

>The song has been heard in films and TV shows including American Reunion, Teen Wolf, Human Target and Premium Rush as well as the trailer for Movie 43

>A Simlish version appears in The Sims 3: Late Night

So funny hearing it in Simlish.

Answering your question about Danger Days, I'd say to just forget everything you expect about MCR. Their skills as singers/instrumentalists are there, but it's as if MCR grew up in the post-apocalyptic neon wasteland the Killjoys comic takes place in. I'd say just accept it for what it is and just look at this as an album instead of a My Chemical Romance album.

oh my god I had actually heard the simlish version but forgot about it completely thank you user for this gift

Haha yeah and me my sister had a good laugh over it. I'm tempted to redownload sims and relive some nostalgia. I loved those games.

Holy fuck, I forgot how good Vampire Money is. It feels like a throwback to 80s glam rock. It's so damn great.

hey who remember when they ripped off Pixies

youtube.com/watch?v=_5YBhhb3yaA

no

shiiiiiit that song is THE song off Danger Days. I want to drive around in my car with my buds and scream our heads off with that playing.

[Gerard:] Well, are you ready, Ray?
[Ray:] Yeah...
[Gerard:] How about you, Frank?
[Frank:] Oh, I'm there, baby
[Gerard:] How about you, Mikey?
[Mikey:] Fucking ready...
[Gerard:] Well, I think I'm alright

This intro is so fucking sexy.

Most criminally underrated My Chem song next to Desert Song coming through

youtube.com/watch?v=OLlfiP6gQXk

my bad, shitty quality.

youtube.com/watch?v=9hjz9TmkAoU

The Mad Gear and the Missile Kid EP is just overall overlooked, even by hardcore fans. Some of the most fucking energetic and fun music I've heard in the past few years.

Will listen now.
I think EP's as a part of the music industry in general are overlooked. I feel like people treat them all like demos, which is not always true.

that little ep is such a fucking trip

>YEAH I DRINK JUICE WHEN IM KILLING CAUSE ITS FUCKING DELICIOUS

The best parts of the whole Danger Days era was when they didn't care and just wanted to be an energetic and fun rock band.

>FTWWW
>Destroya
>Vampire Money
>Zero Percent