ITT: Albums ruined by poor production/mixing

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ekfF1aoLF6E
youtube.com/watch?v=72-ebRSMJdE
youtube.com/watch?v=6Yka-jtyQcc
youtube.com/watch?v=cJqGMbFy1vk
youtube.com/watch?v=Cu4CWenCBIw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

sounded great through my friend's CD player at jazz camp, but now that I've got these nice JBLs I'll take another listen

Dinosaur Jr - Bug

It was mainly ruined by patchy songwriting desu

Elaborate, fampai.

youtube.com/watch?v=ekfF1aoLF6E

this

nah

here

OK I haven't listened to a rock album in a long time but yeah it does get kinda muddy. HOWEVER, I still like this album a lot because it has a lot of QOTSA's dissonant stoner stuff and less of their poppy rock stuff (compared to some of their more recent albums)

youtube.com/watch?v=72-ebRSMJdE

I fail to see how the post-Oliveri era has lesser songwriting, true it doesn't have the "driving music" feel of Rated R or SFTD, but I don't see it as being worse overall.

Meh, Era Vulgaris and ...Like Clockwork have some great lyrics and music production, but Lullabies has always seemed a bit weak to me.

Tweez

Californication. The album itself is pretty good but god damn its way too loud

desu all qotsa albums sound bland except the first(though even this is debatable)

live recordings is where it's at for them. just compare

youtube.com/watch?v=6Yka-jtyQcc
youtube.com/watch?v=cJqGMbFy1vk

Anything Rick Rubin has laid hands on
Anything that is unusually quiet
Bill Bruford - Feels Good to Me

Kill yourself.

Devin Townsend Infinity
The Re-record of Kingdom on Epicloud is 10x better

s/t is by far QOTSA's blandest album, what are you on?

You sure you don't mean Physicist? That's the album that Kingdom was on.

mikey shoes already got killed for this

Shit yeah my bad I mean Physicist I don't know why I mixed them up

the quality of the music itself is debatable, but it's a fact that it sounds like shit

Nigga, it's their most distilled and arguably their best.

>s/t is by far QOTSA's blandest album,

but it is not. rated r and every album after that is styled and mixed to sound decent on a car stereo รก la foo fighters et al. s/t is styled and mixed so that it registers when you're lying drunk on your living room sofa

>it's a pre-Era Vulgaris Joey Castillo speeds up the tempo to obscene levels

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

What the fuck are you even saying? Sure the production on Rated R and onward is flashier than on s/t, but how the fuck is that a bad thing? On top of that, s/t has their blandest songwriting (not bad mind you, just blander than their other albums)

s/t actually has bite

everything else has radio rock flavor

Maybe not ruined, but it was distracting as hell.

Depeche Mode - Exciter
Depeche Mode - Sounds of The Universe
Depeche Mode - Delta Machine

i liked exciter, dont understand why the production would be bad, but the other 2 are mediocre

There is literally nothing about s/t that gives it more """bite""" than any other QOTSA release. Fun fact: Lower quality production does not automatically make an album better or indeed "bittier".

At least the edition I own on cd. I don't mind the poor production on this album and others but the guitar in the left speaker is way louder than the one in the right, which drives me insane.

I like Exciter too but there's something lacking.

huh?

Ricky Rubin is a hack.

Remember when Matt Bellamy slated Rubin at the MPG awards: "And we'd like to thank Rick Rubin for teaching us how not to produce."

The Flaming Lips - At War With The Mystics

youtube.com/watch?v=Cu4CWenCBIw

dyel

The original mix was so bad they did an entire remix of the album.

this is my favorite album by them and I have yet to find anything wrong with it

Love Bowie's songs, all the production sounds tinny tho

Seriously. This isn't Sabbath's best, but it doesn't deserve the hate it gets. If it was mixed well, it would be 6-6.5/10. As it currently stands, it's a 4/10.

you think like clockwork is poppy?

I really like ...Like Clockwork, but it's pretty poppy desu (for a Queens' album anyways)

Not necessarily ruined, but the production could've been better, and it negatively affects the listening experience.

don't use desu unless you're memeing. and I think lullabies was a lot poppier, with songs like in my head little sister and medication

shame too, this is pretty good for a comeback album

I completely agree. It is a solid comeback album, but the 'loudness war' in it is a really big drawback.

>when they mix otherwise good tracks to sound flat and that stops you from being excited over anything on the EP

I use desu whenever I want to desu

Also, ...Like Clockwork had poppier production overall desu

the muse album with the space rainbow

they went from alright music with mediocre production to mediocre music with bad production

JBLs? AH LOVE IT MAGGLE

Epic loud was way too clean imo, like most of his discography. Still though, it wasn't muddy af like physicist was