Why is this board so against music streaming?

Why is this board so against music streaming?

autism

contrarians

Sup Forums is derided in any place on the internet

elitism

Because you pay $20 a month to "own" a limited selection of lossy music

im not

The quality is usually 192kbps.

Because it doesnt make the artist any money but somehow pirating does

I think the main complaint I see on here is the quality isn't A+++ like that affects the music. I like Apple Music but I miss Spotify.

A lot of good stuff is missing from streaming services for some reason

i know for a fact that spotify is 320kbps. with other streaming services i don't know, but i doubt apple music would be worse than spotify.

This. Other than that, you must be online to listen to your music.

>i know for a fact that spotify is 320kbps
(not true by the way)

>Because it doesnt make the artist any money but somehow pirating does

It doesn't but streaming makes much more money to people that aren't the artist.

spotify is totally free you idiot

download offline playlists my man
it's literally less effort than pirating

it's okay if you only listen to pop music
but that in itself is not okay at all

soulseek is the way to go:
download albums that interest you
if you like them, keep them and
share them with the rest of the community

don't passively consume, be active in your community

1. Costs money, or worse, has ads
2. Limited selection
3. No customization of the music player, compared to foobar, musicbee etc

>spotify is totally free you idiot
yeah lets enjoy shitty adverts and the inability to skip songs that suck total ass...

The quality still isn't there. You'd be better off downloading from YouTube. Do most music streaming services offer more than the Top 40?

I use Spotify. It's £9.99 a month, and I get through at least 70 albums in that time. I started using it properly about 4 months ago, and it's allowed me to hear so much new stuff.

I pay £2.50 ($3.30) for Spotify Premium.

>spotify web player
>ad block

Spotify premium is great

Offline caching
Notification of new artist releases
Playlist sharing with mates

only ever used it on mobile, so good point, but still no skipping songs

You'd be amazed at what is on Spotify, it's very rare that artists are missing. Last 10 albums I listened to on it:

Benji
The Glowing Man
My Life in the Bush of Ghosts
Tim Hecker - Virgins
Marissa Nadler - Strangers
Leak Bros - Waterworld
Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein
Freetown Sound - Blood Orange
In a Silent Way
Kayo Dot - Dowsing Anemone With Copper

I mean, there are obviously things missing, but not as much as you may think.

I gain an autistic sense of accomplishment by acquiring a large music library of pirated music.

Just use youtube.

Because it tries to replace what already works fine with an inferior solution. The only fine streaming site is SoundCloud - lots of demos, early previews and unreleased shit there.

im using this shit for 4 years now, and you?

>The only fine streaming site is SoundCloud
You mean Bandcamp.

Face it, friends.

The youngens around here are not interested in underground music. Let's not fight, we don't want them in our private trackers and buddy lists anyways.

You kids are fucking cancer.

But for people like me (commuting to work with no internet), being able to download hundreds of albums on Spotify for offline is perfect.

>Do most music streaming services offer more than the Top 40?

Is this a joke? Or are you that ignorant about streaming?

Spotify has a huge collection of music. There's a range of obscure stuff on there. It has random holes because of various legal rights shit, but most artists in the world put their music on Spotify. It's just good promotion/business sense.

No Chromecast support on BC which kinda sucks

>The quality still isn't there
spotify is 320kbps if you set it to high quality
if you want better than that that's cool but that's pretty great quality

>Do most music streaming services offer more than the Top 40?
now you're just being an ass, of course they do

Tidal fag and I pay the same, love those student prices. The selection is a bit different, there are a few things Spotify has Tidal doesn't but Tidal has a lot more obscure foreign artists, and there are no notifications. I might consider switching once I graduate but for now I am satisfied.

Only to purchase directly from the artist. To listen it offline. So no, it's not fine for streaming. And Bandcamp streams in 128kbps, I know because I ripped from it.

>No Chromecast support on BC which kinda sucks
desu they do need to expand the streaming options on Bandcamp, more options should be done with it.

The catalog size and absolutely awful queuing logic / controls are my main problems with it. I have premium, still think it's worth the money.

Apple music has a very enticing library in comparison, as well as the pre-release exclusives they're getting. But not as good for sharing as Spotify is.

this comment is so full of ignorance and still confidence, i love it.

do people actually think spotify is strictly a radio service?

I cant really comment other than the skipping songs and ads as i only use it at my girlfriends and she listens to shit music so my experience is all bad i suppose

>limited catalog
>paid service
>always online bullshit
>artists and labels can just take away their stuff whenever they feel like it and you will never hear it again

I don't like this business model where everything an artist does is split across various corporate platforms, everything should be available from one place, more consolidation means less dividends for the artists to pay out.

>Bandcamp streams in 128kbps
you mean like soundcloud?

>not using the pirated apk that lets you skip and choose songs on mobile for free
are you even trying?

I should of mentioned i only use spotify at my girlfriends so i suppose i'm not trying,

Yes, but I already said what it's good for. Listening to released tracks online except for previewing them is retarded.

People shit on 128k but with AAC it's very acceptable, especially for newly discovered music where you're not picking up subtleties immediately anyways

Soundcloud also needed to be bailed out to avoid bankruptcy.

Too bad it's not AAC. And it's worse than ogg anyway.

>pretending people hear the difference between 192 and 320kbps

fuck bro too real

not as noticeable as the difference between vbr and cbr desu

get yours ears checked, frogposter

and is also increasingly getting hitting with copyright takedowns for unsigned acts + major artists have streaming deals allowing you to only preview their songs

my ears are perfect, i don't even have tinnitus.

greatly appreciated post

/placebo/

Because a lot of the time it isn't streamed as high of quality of a good 320, v0, or flac download.

Personally I don't mind it when I'm on my phone going out but at home ID rather download

>argue like a decent human being
>post ignored
>meme something stupid like LEL STREAMING IS FOR PLEBS WHO LISTEN IN 28kbps
>10 replies

Sometimes i forget how much i hate this board.

>le flac meme

This ans this and this with their beautiful dubs, except the first one of course.

Thanks for insulting me for no reason... I live in a third world European country and music streaming services aren't even a thing here. That's the reason I was asking.

There is only one argument here:
Streams don't have enough music.
End of discussion.

And thank you too for the ad hominem attacks. I hope you feel better now.

well yeah, streaming services are not made for pretentious avant teens like you

There is endless music on Mixcloud and soundcloud playlisted by great artists

Floating Points has like 12 hrs of mixes on his profile

It's not like if you have Spotify you aren't allowed to listen to music elsewhere.

I think streaming is fine as long as people realize it's not really any more financially supportive than pirating, and if you want to "support the scene" the best way to do so is to buy tickets, merch, records, etc.

both apple music and spotify allow you to integrate local files to your library so in the rare case you do find something they don't have it's easy to supplement

Spotify Premium has 320kbps high quality setting and it's totally worth the money.
I'm a qualityfag too, enough to always seek out the best mastering of albums, and Spotify is more than good enough for newer music with only one mastering. Also convenient as fuck

YouTube sounds like absolute ass
So do both of these

I absolutely can, I've double blind tested this a number of times. Cymbals are the dead giveaway

Which codec? What gear? Just curious, not trying to discredit you user.

yuno

>wah my feelings
Fuck off tumblrina

MP3 obviously (AAC is transparent to lossless at like 190~ VBR-ish, and 128kbps AAC sounds better than 192kbps MP3), just big ass Technics full range speakers and ATH-M50s

(You)

A mix of autism, hating anything popular/normie, being poor, and legitimate concerns with audio quality and payment of artists.

There is no reason. Sup Forums just ridicules anything in the mainstream, and it's the same on every board.

Honestly Soundcloud at this point in time is a terrible platform, it's infested with shitty amateur trap and EDM, bots, and people that buy/sell followers.

That and the above is why there's a stigma about it. If you want to look professional in any way don't put your shit on Soundcloud, it's a garbage dump for demos.

Pretty much this. Also something something muh sound quality.

>need wifi/cell phone connection to stream songs, slowly over shitty connections
>paying for a subscription so you can fuck over yourself (everything is free if you know where to look) and the bands (so much good shit is pay what you can on bandcamp)
>limited selection of music

Not exactly against it but i am offline often so i download to always have it available.

the stuff you said was blatently wrong

you can download 320kbps songs on Spotify

no need to be butthurt.

Spotify for students is $5

i'm not a student

We all have super shitty phones

So if you're fine to do all those things yourself what is your problem with spotify? Which desu is a pretty good device as it can recommend some good stuff. If you don't want to pay for it that's fine literally no one cares

Than use Apple Music, it's 11 dollars a month and you can have as much as you want.

>"there's literally nothing wrong with spotify!!!"
>people say whats wrong with spotify
>"so u-uh w-what if you d-dont mind all t-those things? i-its not like w-we asked what's wrong with spotify so w-who cares about your opinion"

Are there any Sup Forums spotify playlists?

Except Kylie's first few albums. You have to buy those on AM, they're not for streaming. And I must have my Kylie...legs...buttocks...

True. If you're going to pay for music, at least pay to own it. Artists get more (i.e. payment isn't pro rata) and you actually get something that you couldn't just get for free in 2 seconds. Better yet just buy merch if you have no interest in physical collections. Streaming is the worst of both worlds, the only winners are the services themselves and the record labels.

Because they're against the idea of musicians getting paid per play of tracks.

It's the "singles vs albums" ideology war of the 60s again.