Is Spiderland the greatest achievement of popular music?

Is Spiderland the greatest achievement of popular music?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphor
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

shit 4fags say general?

It's the last amazing rock album.

>popular music
It's not popular tho

yes

maybe

not really

That's not what popular music means. Also, it isn't obscure in the slightest.

Don stepped outside.

No way. You're stupid for even thinking that.

holy cow dude, you quoted a line from one of their songs. great post!

>That's not what popular music means.
The music on the album isn't structured like "popular music" either.

>it isn't obscure in the slightest.
You don't know what "slight" means. It's a fairly obscure album but this is Sup Forums so of course it doesn't feel like that to you. Also nothing is completely obscure thanks to the internet.

meme stepped outside

people on this site on any board have a warped view of reality when it comes to their interest, it comes naturally thanks to this site being a breeding ground for vain elitism.

This
>muh secret club
>normiess reeeeee!

You don't know what "popular music" means.

you're kidding yourself if you think Slint songs don't fit into pop formats

mamma mia

yes

they honestly don't

Prove it

You fuckers are so delusional and stuck in your own ass, maybe you should stop spending so much time in here.

You just decided to backtrack on what you meant by it. Nobody ever uses the term "popular music" in that sense unless they're taking a class on music.

Why differentiate between Hip-Hop, Rock and Jazz when you can just call everything "Popular music"? Because it's a fucking dumb idea.

>how to spot a freshman music major
If anything Slint would fall under Art music.

How?
Yeah, exactly. But it's essentially pop.

Yeah all those typical verse/chorus/bridge structured Slint songs.

It's nothing better than an 8/10. Pretty great but there were so many bands that achieved the same feeling that Spiderland gives. It doesn't stand out to me as an absolute essential record

I kinda agree with this. I still really love the album, though, and sometimes it will just vibe way better on some listens than others

>How?
By reading your posts. Seeing someone use the term "popular music" in the way you're claiming to use it and expect everyone else to be on the same page as you.

>But it's essentially pop.
Nice b8 m8. Kudos for not sticking to your "It's popular music" argument tho.

Dan walked outdoors. It felt nice to be by himself.

are you calling this album a meme!?

itt: music experts

>it isn't obscure in the slightest.
Ask anyone who isn't a music autist about Slint and see if they've heard of them
no chorus, not produced to death

No.

There are only a handful of albums I'd consider 10/10 and this is one of them. I never get tired of it.

Slint???
MORE LIKE FLINT

lol
lel

No, please listen to more music.

DUDE I MISS YOU LMAO

It's boring and pretentious. It has a few ok parts.

>Ask anyone who isn't a music autist about Slint and see if they've heard of them
Literally everyone I know in their 20s has heard of them. Stop hanging out with boring people.

I agree with him, it doesn't sound amazing. I feel like I would have enjoyed it more before I started writing music.

kek

But pretentious is the wrong word. People overuse that word without knowing what it means, calling something pretentious doesn't just mean "oh I don't like it," it basically asserts that the entire artistic vision of the album is bullshit. If you think it's boring that is one thing, but don't call it pretentious.

like what, I haven't heard any albums like spiderland as of yet.

Nah, from a sheer musical perspective it's pic. Brings cerebral enjoyment while being having a lot of visceral power that makes post-Rock n Roll music stand it's own with Art and Traditional music.

Albums like the usual "10/10" art rock/pop, prog, post-rock, etc. falls short because they are more focused on trying to make the music interesting from a perspective similar to art music but aren't able to do it as well as art music because they are ultimately forms of popular music.

Are you serious

what the fuck mate

Is it true breadcrumb trail is about losing your virginity?

Yeah. The key to rock n roll and what came after it is based on having hooks and riffs rather than the kind of complex melodic/harmonic work one is to see in art music. The best metal like that album takes that idea to its fullest extreme by being able to serve a variety of these riffs and hooks with enough rhythmic and melodic variation to not only be interesting cerebrally but also viscerally.

When looking at the actual ideas and theory present in music, the Radioheads, King Crimsons, and Slints of the world present ideas that have been done far better in art music. But metal and even rock n roll initially chose to specialize in a form of composition that can't be done by art music as well and became what will historically go down as the style of composition popular music specializes in.

Your ideas are very well thought through and I actually pretty much agree, but choosing THAT album to make your point just makes no sense to me.

I still don't get why a death metal album from the late 80's should be the best example of what are you referring to

no, it's about riding a roller coaster with a cute girl

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphor

This aspect's not as easy to explain to you guys if you don't also listen to metal within that particular mindset that I described. I particularly picked Altars Of Madness because I feel that it has a great amount of everything I am talking about. The album has a higher riff/time ratio than most metal albums and the albums that do have a higher ratio ex. Reign in Blood don't have enough variation (rhythmically especially) in the amount of hooks and riffs or are either too technical and forgo the visceral feel for an attempt to be more cerebral but end up running in the same "this isn't art music stop trying to be art music" trap. I hope this made sense.

There's a reason Altars Of Madness is often in the metal community considered an album that requires multiple listens because even though it doesn't sound like its some kind of ground breaking amazing thing, the fact that it's so well put together elevates it to the top.

in breadcrumb trail (the documentary) members of the band say its about riding a roller coaster

If there isn't sheet music for it, it's popular music. Popular music is based on and preserved as units which are sold as products rather than documented intellectual works which are performed over and over. Unless it's music passed down through oral tradition, in which case it's folk music.

This. All these idiots arguing over the definition of popular music and none of them actually understand what the concept really means.

>implying
It's not up to them what its about though.The
value of art depends on the values of the art critic.Most art is born as imitation, not innovation.The critic, not the artist, is the one who defines innovation, and rates it.The artist is merely a vehicle for the aesthetic/ideology of the critic.The critic is the real artist.

There's just a confusion on how terms are being used here, in one post you call it popular music (which isn't wrong), but then if you catalogize it in the "pop" genre, then there you would be wrong.

Though I do understand that most likely you're just trying to show off how "smart" you are by using a term that people wouldn't use unless 90% of the music they listened to was classical music.

>There are people on Sup Forums that can't tell the difference between classical, folk, jazz and popular

fantastic post 7/10

Fantastic post 7/10

I think the second one is a better 7/10, because of the proper punctuation, however, if we were to appretiate it in an ironic way (which is popular with the kids these days), the first post is definitely better.

death of the author my man

Lmao hurr durrr muh death of the author. If an artist explicitly states what said piece of art is about, then that's what it is fucking about, they created it. Forget all of your bullshit liberal arts post-structuralist relativism shit. Sometimes some pieces of art are objective. The album Benji for example is a very personal album that Mark Kozelek made for himself, and to strip that intent away because it means something to you is just narcissistic, intellectually dishonest, and pretentious.