/comp/ Composition General

Bet your wondering why I deleted it Edition

"You can play a shoestring if you're sincere." - Joh Coltrane

previous thread: An experiment in a pen-and-paper composing general, made for all the theory autists

This differs from /prod/ in that it is more focused on the actual writing of music, not the production, and music theory. That is not to say /prod/'s electronic music is unwelcome, by all means, post here! But post with the intent on discussing composition. And remember, this is NOT /classical/. Any music, such as jazz, is acceptable

Post clyps and accompanying notation so we can accurately critique your composing from a theory perspective

THEORY

>Fux's Counterpoint
opus28.co.uk/Fux_Gradus.pdf

>Orchestration (Rimsky-Korsakov)
northernsounds.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/77-Principles-of-Orchestration

>Teoria - Music Theory General Guides/Articles
teoria.com/index.php

>Arnold Schcoenberg's "Fundementals of Music Composition"
monoskop.org/images/d/da/Schoenberg_Arnold_Fundamentals_of_Musical_Composition_no_OCR.pdf

>Jazz harmony (from the course at Berklee)
davidvaldez.blogspot.com/2006/04/berklee-jazz-harmony-1-4.html

PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS

>Basic composing
youtube.com/watch?v=hWbH1bhQZSw

>Free Notation Software
musescore.org/

IMPROVISATION

>Fake books for jazz and blues soloing
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzW9o5O35hQzMzA0ZmI0MWEtZGFmNi00OTQ0LWI2MjMtOWUyNzgyNmUzNzNm&usp=drive_web&ddrp=1&hl=en#
STUFF /COMP/ DOES

>the /comp/ YouTube channel
youtube.com/channel/UCqUEaKts92UIstFjrz9BfcA

>the /comp/ weekly challenge
[email protected]

>/comp/ Georgian Modes Explanation by yodAnon
dropbox.com/s/v26nd8bepv74d8s/Gregorian Modes v1.5.pdf?dl=0

Other resources (full of lessons and books): pastebin.com/k3xddxwr

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s09nQ7KlvU9L
youtube.com/watch?v=brCwEo-KVGc
youtube.com/watch?v=PDMR9IhAecI
youtube.com/watch?v=Sz2yNW1TFws
youtube.com/watch?v=9b0bKz6YA9c
youtube.com/watch?v=bki5kEzYK7Y
vocaroo.com/i/s1KT6PBtBBj7
clyp.it/rvgjgabz
youtube.com/watch?v=0-RWSnnRKy8
soundcloud.com/benbartlett/umami
vocaroo.com/i/s0SsMiLKQAUZ
youtube.com/watch?v=w57qM6L4luw
youtube.com/watch?v=aNk-BbbYnuY
youtube.com/watch?v=esvdSie_H4c
youtu.be/NZf7T1w_pPg?t=25m29s
ro.ecu.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1022&context=theses_hons
docslide.us/documents/avishai-cohen-gently-disturbed-songbook.html
youtube.com/watch?v=h76MZ3ht0l4
soundcloud.com/tennysonmusic/sets/like-what-ep
vocaroo.com/i/s178jb9YSD5i
vocaroo.com/i/s0mL9eybdfIZ
youtube.com/watch?v=LDjTc8GzstQ
youtube.com/watch?v=8YeFBXU0P6I
youtube.com/watch?v=-U71HSrXfdU
youtube.com/watch?v=tGPZ6aLWcnI
youtube.com/watch?v=t2v2_TiBijE
clyp.it/hwx1w2ta
youtube.com/watch?v=QzDA8mC5fbs
youtube.com/watch?v=KxDSEnWV5kI
vocaroo.com/i/s0zCDZ2JLnaA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

vocaroo.com/i/s09nQ7KlvU9L
t. fumblemaster and possible rhythm butcher

so sfartz

does euphonium see any use except marching stuff

if played with care, it has a beautiful tone. could probably be worked into jazz:
youtube.com/watch?v=brCwEo-KVGc
youtube.com/watch?v=PDMR9IhAecI

youtube.com/watch?v=Sz2yNW1TFws
I suck at the euph though, I just wanted to play something an user made.

So who are some great jazz composers?

Improvisation is cool but who are some jazz players who really put some thought into how they write the songs they improvise on?

obv. Duke+Strayhorn, but also really fond of Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter.
Wild Flower might b the best jazz waltz I've heard:
youtube.com/watch?v=9b0bKz6YA9c

Also shoutout to musicians who had very effective rearrangements of existing tunes, like Bill Evans with Nardis.

so, after skipping the last challenge, I'm trying to catch up before the next one actually emerges.

Trying to do a toccata on this Salve Regina song
youtube.com/watch?v=bki5kEzYK7Y
(singers are terrible)

Since the song has multiple time signatures already (4/4 - 3/4 - 4/4), it facilitates the multi meter thing.

Current WiP, sorry for the terrible midi.
vocaroo.com/i/s1KT6PBtBBj7

Ignoring the face that the organ tone makes the first 3 measures sound like baseball music, it's pretty good.

Curious to see how it progresses.

thanks. There's no possible way to emulate organ registrations without sampled VSTs from real instruments, which are expensive to come by.

I'd say I do some more garlands first, then some more smashy chords, then a pedal solo, and then a tutti marche, and I need to keep it major most of the time, so it could actually work as a wedding march

page 8 is bad, right?

I'm just waiting for the one user that I played my horn for. bump for visibility

In terms of small group jazz:

Horace Silver
Chico Hamilton
Eric Dolphy
Wayne Shorter
Andrew Hill
Anthony Braxton
Tim Berne
Dave Holland
Alex Sipiagin

Large group:
Ellington/Strayhorn
Charles Mingus
Gil Evans
Bob Brookmeyer
Toshiko Akiyoshi
Maria Schneider
Darcy James Argue

Oh and Stan Kenton too

no keith jarret? Excuse me, I barely know any jazz. Actually none.

He's a great player but not really notable as a "composer". Some of his originals with the European quartet are good but I don't know if they're noteworthy or groundbreaking enough to list him in with these other jazz composers.

gotcha. I can't even tell the difference between a jazz composition and an improv, unless first one is strikingly elaborate.

you played for all of us, user

also; my nightly piece, couldn't make one yesterday because i had other duties
clyp.it/rvgjgabz

maybe i should've made 8 more bars to make the ending a bit more predictable and natural.

also, truly honest opinion, does the modulation in the start work or not, what'd you think user?

>vocaroo.com/i/s1KT6PBtBBj7
cool stuff user, now it's time to assault the left hand as well?

left hand is busy, even when there's no notes on the middle line. In the last 4/4 bar for example the right hand holds an octave (a - a') on the first keyboard while the left hand plays the triplets on the second keyboard, then the right hand stays on the first keyboard playing the dotted quarters while the left hand plays the eigths. (see pic, those are the left hand lines)

But yeah, it's gonna turn into broken chords for both hands before it goes into a pedal solo.

why use 2 hands for the second part though? what if your nose was suddenly itching? you'd be feeling pretty dumb to play that part with both hands then.

mainly because both hands are playing on different keyboards. Also, since organs have no sustain pedal, you have to find fingerings that allow you to play actual legato.

next question: how do you mark which keyboard the notes should be played on? is it up to the interpretor?

dynamic marks, or I write the number of the keyboard into the notes (I, II, III, IV) and write down which registers to pull for which keyboard.

It also highly depends on the instruments, some organs only have 1 keyboard, which forces the organ player to change registers on the fly. On dual and triple keyboard instruments, you can set each keyboard to a different dynamic.

The posted piece for example is for a 3 keyboard organ, and at the beginning, the composer tells you which stops to pull on which keyboard.

Then the piece starts on the Swell, then you have to go to the lowest keyboard and couple the higher ones to the lowest, while the pedal also gets couples with all other keyboards.

here's a vid of how it looks like, not me.

youtube.com/watch?v=0-RWSnnRKy8

gnight bump.

page aight

goodnight bump with a repost, pls give feedback if you want to i will see it in the morning

soundcloud.com/benbartlett/umami

vocaroo.com/i/s0SsMiLKQAUZ
hey I just made a trumpet/violin/piano song
feedback plz?

>vocaroo.com/i/s0SsMiLKQAUZ
.. you're not the phone composer user are you?

anyways it's really really hard to hear anything

mr fumblemaster can you play this?

I could try, but this might take longer, you sure you're ok with the quality of the mic? I'll do a progress check tomorrow

fag

>vocaroo.com/i/s09nQ7KlvU9L

Thanks Mr. Fumblemaster! It's cool getting to hear my comps in something that isn't Sibelius MIDI for once!

Do you like modern stuff?

bump

Mingus comes to mind

>Large group:
+Benny Goodman

bump. note that "gender" is a gamelan instrument pronounced "ghen-deer"

nah wouldnt say Dolphy is an exceptional composer. Player+improviser on the other hand...

youtube.com/watch?v=w57qM6L4luw

What are some other examples of lyrical but highly unusual melodies?

folk music usually has some weird shit going on
youtube.com/watch?v=aNk-BbbYnuY
youtube.com/watch?v=esvdSie_H4c

youtu.be/NZf7T1w_pPg?t=25m29s
Is it just me or is the chorale-ish opening to this third movement just incredible? And then it comes back near the very end, and I mean, oh man.

What exactly is happening with the harmony, though?

My personal favourite is Avishai Cohen with his Trio. Just check out some of the beautifully-integrated rhythmic ideas in Pinzin Kinzin, Chutzpan, Seven Seas, Eleven Wives, and The Ever Evolving Etude in particular!

Forgot link:ro.ecu.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1022&context=theses_hons

That's a summary of a few of the rhythmic ideas in those songs.

Full scores of that album here:

docslide.us/documents/avishai-cohen-gently-disturbed-songbook.html

Bump

For fuck sake change to treble clef in the first 2 bars.

>For fuck sake change to treble clef in the first 2 bars.
thanks for looking at my piece, but i'm actually not that interested in making the score look nice at the moment. in fact, i'm not expecting anyone, myself included, to spend time learning to play a piece that i don't truly believe is good.

The only thing i'm actually interested in at the moment, is just the sound. there are so many layers to good composition, and i don't really feel experienced enough to worry about all of them. I don't worry about structure either. It doesn't seem important to me before you can some decent polophony.

Anyways blogposting aside; all i really wanted to know was just if the start was interesting or too erratic? And if the section after sounds catchy or cheesy?

bump

very smooth. Clearly you got that solo trumpet and some secondary other instruments, which occassionally move in parallel to the solo. I'd maybe like a few more sporadic contrapunctual passages for those other instruments at places, where the solo trumpet rests, in a way as if the band instruments were taking over a bit from the solo.

Harmony starts kinda with e Dorian (scale on e with the accidentals of d maj), then gets more chromatic as double dominants get in

George Russell, Gil Evans, Thad Jones, Maria Schneider, John Hollenbeck, in chronological order.

really cool stuff, ben. not sure what to say exactly, all of it is really smooth, i love the sudden change at 0:35

Gil is great arranger, not so sure about composer though, probably

Who's Joh Coltrane?

more importantly, does he dream of a merry go round?
youtube.com/watch?v=h76MZ3ht0l4

How do I compose Jazz bros?

Seems a bit like modal borrowing to me.

what kind of style off jazz are you interested in?

bebop desu

just hard swinging stuff

dubs dubs

As I understand it, bebop utilizes regular jazz harmony with frequent sequences and substitutions. Modality and key changes are common, and melody is often based on arpeggiation or the just the scale used, and is pretty fast

nice dub dubs

Bebop is a hard place to start writing melodically if you want to start writing Parker-style melodies. I'd recommend, if you're new to jazz, starting trying to emulate the writing style of standards that inspired Parker and company. Basically, I recommend trying to write How High The Moon before you start trying to write Ornithology. I would genuinely say to write a good bebop melody you would need to be a good improviser in the style.

Look at those old standards and look how the harmonies progress, they tend to be fairly simple, based on II-V's and such. Then look at a bebop interpretation side by side, and look at what chords have been added, changed, etc. A great place to see this is action is Blue for Alice compared to a typical blues form, it's only 12 bars but it showcases a lot of parker's most common techniques.

I just suck HARD at harmony since i'm a bassist and never really learned it.

I guess I should just find me a teacher. And start writing Blues melodies and Rythm Changes.

this is incredibly enjoyable, desu

Any like it in english?

Good luck desu. Don't let youself think you can't do anything, too. Just look at Mingus. Bassist and one of the best jazz composers, imo

(sheltered classicalfag here, unfamiliar with how jazz works)
>i'm a bassist and never really learned it
??

>A great place to see this is action is Blue for Alice compared to a typical blues form, it's only 12 bars but it showcases a lot of parker's most common techniques.
Thanks friend i'll do that. There's also Dance of the Infidles that's based off blues and I already know the melody for that so I guess it'll be smart to learn all of it.

Are you a jazz bassist?
Usually a jazz bassist would know harmony extremely well, at least intuitively, just because you are essentially soloing all the time
I don't quite know of a band like YMCK but with English lyrics. You've got Anamanaguchi but they are not nearly as good writers, nor as jazz influenced (still quite enjoyable though) and they're mostly instrumental.
Shot in the dark but you might like Tennyson soundcloud.com/tennysonmusic/sets/like-what-ep

Not trying to redefine the genre or anything, just have some fun. But thanks for the motivation

I know harmony in the sense of being able to provide a nice walking line or solo, but I really have almost no knowledge of voicings and arranging because I never learned it. I guess there were things more important to learn or I didn't put enough time in it.

>Are you a jazz bassist?
yea

>I know harmony in the sense of being able to provide a nice walking line or solo
I mean that's all you need to write tunes my dude. Let the pianist do their thing. Sure, you'd have to learn if you want to do larger arrangements, but for bebop you don't necessarily need to have good arranging skills

Yea but idk for placing nice chords and tensions, stuff like that. To me it's a big part of writing tunes no? I mean I write stuff on the Piano not the Bass.

Well I don't think that's really part of writing bebop tunes. You write a chord progression, and a melody, and you play it with a group. The pianist places nice chords and nice tensions, you improvise a nice walking line, the drummer emphasizes the important parts of the melody. It's very player generated.

All right I think I just holded myself back for thinking I don't have the knowledge. I'll try to write something, worst case scenario it'll suck lmao

We'll be waiting right here, user

if your harmony isn't stupid, and your melody is singable, the worst that it can be is "kind of boring", so definitely go for it.

Truer words have never been spoken in /comp/

Besides *sforzandos*

What exactly do you mean by "stupid"?

something that makes no sense and is really far from what a typical bebop/standard would use.

Harmonizing an E major melody with Gb chords is stupid

just woke up no warm up, it's shit and I'm using alternate fingerings because lazy, I gotta eat breakfast
vocaroo.com/i/s178jb9YSD5i

:^)

How to compose like Gucci Mane BURR-style?

take up boxing for a few years

Oh, that's actually a phillip glass piece, aint it?

You're a little off rhythm, the 5th note is a quaver(1/8) whereas you play it as a crotchet (1/4).

It's not written for a euphonium, even though the score says it is.
Can anyone recall which glass piece this is?

vocaroo.com/i/s0mL9eybdfIZ
this is off?

So is the ITAOTS challenge compiled yet?

Unknown. Last time I saw the dude, he was compiling the non MIDI scores

>vocaroo.com/i/s0mL9eybdfIZ
Still the 6th node has to come in a little faster.

Try and treat the rhythm as 5/4 + 4/4. Try counting:
1-2-3-4-5 1-2-3-4
out loud or in your head.

I'm still searching for that piece, I'm not even sure it's actually Glass who made it.

The microphone and instrument sounds good by the way, how are you recording it?

Thinkpad T410 inner mic, you're kidding right?

So, is jazz counterpoint a thing?

I've been listening to:
>youtube.com/watch?v=LDjTc8GzstQ

but couldn't really find anything else similar.

I guess I just want some inspiration before going on about attempting to arrange like that.

>listen with one earphone in
>think "wow this guy has no idea what counterpoint is"

anyways. Check out Ben Wendel's entire Seasons project, he made 12 duets for each month. A lot of them are strictly contrapuntal.
youtube.com/watch?v=8YeFBXU0P6I is my favourite
youtube.com/watch?v=-U71HSrXfdU
youtube.com/watch?v=tGPZ6aLWcnI Not the most contrapuntal piece ever, but still really amazing.

This piece is also very contrapuntally arranged. Fred even fucking improvises contrapuntally, it's insane

youtube.com/watch?v=t2v2_TiBijE

I also wrote a fugue-ish introduction for a blues, still working on this piece so let me know if you have any criticisms clyp.it/hwx1w2ta

forgot about this absolutely insane gem too youtube.com/watch?v=QzDA8mC5fbs

youtube.com/watch?v=KxDSEnWV5kI

Lots of "cool jazz" musicians incorporated counterpoint into their playing and their writing. The Modern Jazz Quartet and Dave Brubeck even wrote fugues on bebop themes. You should also check out Chico Hamilton's and Jimmy Giuffre's recordings from the 1950's.

Any of you guys with even a little bit of interest in jazz and critical listening should consider checking out the /blindfold test/ thread

>Posting with names or tripcodes is encouraged as it makes discussion much easier.
instantly disregarded

how else would the thread work?

like every other Sup Forums thread

Seems like a cool idea but the thread looks kind of dead t b h

Today is pretty slow so far but it usually picks up later. Here is last week's

vocaroo.com/i/s0zCDZ2JLnaA
still unsure, i suck with sight reading, any luck on finding a title?