The Flaming Lips and MGMT are making an album together under the name of "Blikk Recuiter". Thoughts?

The Flaming Lips and MGMT are making an album together under the name of "Blikk Recuiter". Thoughts?

Gonna need a source

I'm skeptical on that claim, but if it is true, I'd be happy with it.
Worm Mountain was one of the best songs on Embryonic.

Thanks

I'd like more electronic-oriented Flips music so I'm happy. Plus it's time we got something real from Wayne again

Too late for that

sounds awful

>wattd

Maybe, but I don't think The Flaming Lips have ever released a bad proper studio album so i'd be inclined to disagree

You seriously don't know what you're talking about. Grow up kid.

How come? Explain why you feel this way

You say they make a lot of good albums but that is not true you still typed it though so I don't know what to say to you if you think you're so right

I think they are a fairly good psych-pop/rock band.

You better watch what you say around here , around here we have better opinions about the flaming lips

They're just an enjoyable band dude why are you so personal about it. You sound really defensive

Mercury Rev guy, huh?

I just can't believe you think all of their albums are amazing it really upsets me cause have you even hard the sgt peppers album or at war with Mystics like what the heck those are bad how about the Miley Cyrus album

I don't give a fuck about anything the Flaming Lips do from now on, everything they do is completely ingenuine and done solely to gain attention. I'll never give a fuck about them again. I'm actually kind of disappointed that they're becoming active again. They've been so silent so far this year up until now that I felt a little bit of hopeful relief, like, "Thank god, it's finally over." This kind of kills that for me.

i think the phrase "proper studio albums" excludes stuff like their sgt peppers cover album and for sure the miley collab

Oh, no dude. When I say
>proper studio albums
I'm not including anything that isn't just the flaming lips creating their own music, plus I never used the term
>amazing
I also would like to argue that At War With the Mystics is a fairly decent pop album (although it's a bit TOO poppy for my liking)

Are the Flaming Lips just like incapable of doing anything on their own now? What are they trying to avoid? I feel like they're just trying to distract from the fact that they're completely lacking substance these days.

oh and although is me, I do subscribe to some of type of thinking too. I think they should probably stop soon, but I've loved the lips for about 10 years now, and I'll still listen to any "Flaming Lips" studio album

the Terror is only three years old tho

Yeah, after the terror I've no idea where they go now, if Wayne didn't have such an ego, he'd let Steven take the songwriting helm again, he IS genuinely talented.

Reddit will love it

I have nothing else to say to you you are the worst kind of music fan I can't believe what you said here it's ridiculous

jesus christ calm down they're one of 1000s of artists I listen to and have an affection for.

Oh yeah so name the other 1000 if you actually like them so much

Why are you taking me so seriously? Can you not take it when somebody likes something you don't like? Think about it, did you really need to come to this thread?

Even the terror was kind of dull. It put atmosphere ahead of everything else, and there were no moments on there that really amazed me. It's kind of like Embryonic but not as dynamic. Yoshimi was the last point where Wayne really shined as a songwriter. With At War With the Mystics, I think it became apparent to everyone, including them, that they just didn't have that kind of record in them anymore.

>30 replies
>2 IPs
what the fuck?

Embryonic is leagues better than Yoshimi and Steven does most of the songwriting anyways

kek

It might be time to hang it up, I agree. They are however an extremely fun live band still

They're two totally different types of records, but when it really gets down to it, I see the Flaming Lips as a pop band. There are bands who I think are more fit to tackle albums like Embryonic. Don't get me wrong, I still think it's a great record, and it's definitely the best thing they did after their classic era of 1990-2002.

Dude shut up you embarrassed yourself I doubt you're a real music fan

What constitutes a
>"reel moosic fan"

I don't know why you're putting them in a box like that. There's not really a classic period, Yoshimi is just as far removed from In A Priest Driven Ambulance as it is from Embryonic.
And if you agree Embryonic is great, then how can you say they shouldn't be making albums like that? The darker style they have on Embryonic, The Terror and Heady Fwends is definitely my favorite phase of theirs.

I don't know. Not coming on a music board and telling stupid lies for attention

Dude when did I lie?

wait, am I being baited like really badly here

yes

Well Zaireeka is still their most experimental album, and I think that completely blows all of their stuff from the past seven years out of the water. The album is on a constant high from start to finish, and everything about it is absolutely enthralling both in terms of the song structure and the sonic attack. Also, I love Heady Fwends. In hindsight, it's easy to lump it in with their decline into novelty over substance, but in 2012, it was just fun as hell. If they had just left it at that and not turned themselves into a gimmick then that would have been great, just have Heady Fwends as it's standalone thing.

I thought so you pesky bugger ;^)

I kinda want them to stop collaborating.

MGMT only have 3 albums, and I still want to see the direction the want to take, not get muddled with these guys.

I'm still waiting on the Blikk Fang album with Kev...

I thought Heady Fwiends was underrated, too, Satan

Yeah, the Flaming Lips use the fact that people still think they're cool to fuck up other artists.

PLEASE let them break up.

>the Flaming Lips use the fact that people still think they're cool to fuck up other artists.
this has never happened

Okay whatever, but I'm just amazed that Steven hasn't gotten completely fucking sick of Wayne's antics and gone off and done his own thing. I guess he feels like he can't because he'd be walking away from such a huge band.

they aren't a huge band in terms of influence but their fanbase is still pretty big. And yeah, I totally agree. I'd actually be quite interested to hear a Drozd solo album, he's the one with the talent

Just musically, not considering how Zaireeka is released/played, I think The Terror is a fair bit more experimental. And I think Embryonic is more interesting sonically. It just comes down to taste, though. Zaireeka is one of my favorites of theirs too.

I guess my point is that it's not fair to say they're on a decline. Their proper, dedicated albums are as creative as ever and Peace Sword shows they can still make pop songs as well as ever.
Someday Wayne will get over his midlife crisis and let Steven make another Flaming Lips album for him to sing. You just have to believe

holy shit I just realized something about the flaming lips

lemme guess, they're trash or some variation on that

No guess again

I really don't know.

go ahead and tell me, I'm too tired to be guessing

They are a band

Why

He's probably asking the same question internally

wayne coyne is gay
debate me

He's not gay but he's a bit of a douche

wayne coyne is a douche
debate me

I don't think anyone on this board hasn't accepted that. The real question is.

When Wayne hit the fan, is you still a fan?

I liked Worm Mountain so I'll probably check it out.

>rockists

>I'd like more electronic-oriented Flips music
>rockist
what

he is fuckinh miley cyrus

You don't know what rockism is.

I thought it was a pre-disposition towards rock music.

Is that wrong?

Why

I just thought that was what "rockism" was. I guess I never looked into the definition of it. My bad.

Why

PORK PIE

1-0

Solve Captcha: VERIFY

2-0

Wait why

>why
Why?

This is the most hilarious form of baiting I have ever seen. Nice, Sup Forums.

Why

well fuck, now I have to buy some acid.

Why

because an MGMT and Flaming Lips cross over is something I wanna listen to while tripping my fucking nuts off

Why

Guitar based FL were better in terms of consistency. When they played noisy psych almost all their albums were fairly good or excellent, if you take away the stupid shit like the half hour noise loop or the 20 min sound collage.

Electronic/synth-based FL are wildly unpredictable. While they released an absolute masterpiece in this era (The Soft Bulletin, of course), they've never made something as good. The Terror and Embryonic were excellent, and Zaireeka was decent and fun, but Yoshimi was just fucking bland and At War with the Mystics sucked. Also, the collaborations only sound that good in paper.

Why

Dude