ITT: We post albums that we don't like/can't get into and have other anons explain what they like or offer a different...

ITT: We post albums that we don't like/can't get into and have other anons explain what they like or offer a different perspective

I'll start with an essential, just feels a bit flat for me

My pick is Deceit, or any This Heat or experimental post punk album for that matter. They feel too disjointed due to their experimental nature and often aren't the most engaging composition wise. Like at least Pere Ubu wrote cohesive works while doing weird stuff idk.

This album requires careful listening to appreciate. It's far closer to stuff Branca was doing than their punkier output from their first two albums. They are essentially playing minimalist classical music noise rock style. Definitely not an album one normally fully appreciated on first listen.

Pretty much. You have to come to appreciate how the noise changes the aesthetic I guess?

Pic related, I don't understand why people like shit like this.

I'll contribute

Not that it's bad, but it's just really boring and I don't understand why it's so popular.

I wish I was memeing, like, I like it, but I don't see it as GOAT, I can appreciate the influence though

listen to it REALLY hard
there's a lot of just sublime cool guitar arrangements with lots of little notes thrown in you probably didnt even hear, some creative lyrics with actual meaning. just a really good rock record. i would recommend listening to some of their contemporaries to hear just how far ahead of the curve they were

its fucking weird, and if youre fucking weird too you can find meaning in it
thats about the best answer i can give for that one

cool, not particularly dense beats, great flows, lyrics and rhymes jam packed with references and cadences you probably wont hear on your first listen. cool writing style

The first two songs are absolute godtier.. Makes me want to cry and worship the album. Then.... it just gets so much worse. This could of easily been a 10/10, but instead it was a 7/10.

I fell in love with this thing on first listen, honestly it's my favorite album maybe behind TOTBL

you like the first 2 tracks but not summertime clothes?

I can't seem to get into John Zorn. considering dleding a painkiller album tho, not sure which

I'd like to add STGSTV. Can't get into it at all.

I like this album but can't tell you why

try and listen to the live versions i guess and check out some of their influences

Is it because of the lyrics?

That's my favorite song on the album. Do people not like it because it's kind of mainstream?

Actually, that song and Bluish also made my playlist, but they're definitely not as good as the first two tracks.

Guy who posted MPP here.

Took me like 2 and 1/2 listens to get it. I didn't like the high frequencies and vocals at first. Now, it's probably my top 5 favorite albums.

Reading the lyrics and listening to it in the dark with a very open mind made it click for me. It's abrasive at first. Try to get a feel for the theme of the album while you're listening - childhood nostalgia and anxiety,

yes that's the main appeal

avey's high voice ruins anco for me and i can't enjoy most of their stuff

do people just get used to it

Anything from the Swans desu

This. I enjoy some of their no-wave stuff like Filth though.

It's just too lengthy and droney for me.. really boring to me, like something you'd have playing in your backround or something.

Animal Collective's MPP - music is kind of cool... I REALLY don't get that airy poppy style of singing- it really turns me off from listening to the rest of their stuff . . . ... .. . .

that one and ITAOTS are really the only Sup Forumscore I don't really dig... I can just accept that NMH is a cool band and i just don't care for their music but AnCo just confuses me.... I think it's interesting music but I can't pick out anything that I think people would like about it.

ITT: anons try to get into Sup Forumscore because they're uncomfortable having their own original opinions and have to love the same 50 albums as everyone else
Most praised albums are shit and most critics are full of it. Get over it and think critically for once.

s/t is better

>people asking why others like things they don't and try to keep an open mind to expand their appreciation of music
>haha fucking sheep can't handle being an individual like me

why are you even on this board

Any kanye album that he's has released, his voice annoying to me, the albums that every enjoy are the ones that came out when I was still in school, and I despise that time, he should have stuck to straight beat making instead.

>don't develop your own taste, just listen to le Death Grips Swans Animal Collective Talking Heads Sonic Youth Neutral Milk Hotel My Bloody Valentine Merzbow Slint Beatles Beach Boys Dylan Beefheart to be a true music fan like me

someones developed taste can include all of those artists wtf.

I don't understand why people like you come here to try and make people feel bad about their taste or like they're enjoying something the wrong way.

Because you are enjoying music the wrong way. Take a break from Sup Forums and RYM and Pitchfork and you'll learn that there's a whole world of music out there

>the Swans

People just listen to lots of music and as so they start treating vocals as an instrument.
I have never been turned off by a voice, some people are better singers than other but a "high" voice means nothing, reminds me of how plebs call joanna newsom baby talk.

This is not a knock at you, just keep listening to music out of your comfort zone and you will stop caring about petty shit in music.
Also Avey isn't really that high compared to any male voices in the indie/pop world.

>RYM and Pitchfork
do the majority of people here actually use those? I thought it was just a select few...

man I haven't listened to every album i've ever been recommended by Sup Forums yet, give me some time to leave :(((

Exactly SENPAI

That, also this.

I will try.

This one's hard to describe, it's simply a fantastic rock album. It's very noisy yet very melodic and catchy at the same time.

If you emotionally connect to the lyrics it really hits home, but if you don't in particular, it can still be appreciated from a compositional and production standpoint as well. It's a very lush album and fun to pick apart mentally. There are so many different instruments and pieces yet it's all mixed so well. Add the beautiful harmonies and it's a stellar album. By the way it's not exactly my favorite album either.

I'd say the lyrics are more the appeal to most Bob Dylan rather than the deterrent. The thing that's so appealing to me about this one is that this is a Bob Dylan album where the melody and arrangements are engaging enough where it doesn't have to rely on strong lyricism alone, and due to it the repetitive nature of his verse-heavy songwriting isn't as blatantly noticeable as it can be on some of his other work.

This one's harder to peg, because I agree in part. I'll say that certain songs on the album are very rewarding, particularly longer pieces, but then there are some songs like YYK that baffle me as to why they were even considered for the record.

i could never get into anything anco except their first album

i never got this. it sounds so mediocre

OP, listen to it loud and tthink like a literary punk rocker but also think you and ur bud r tryna knock hendrix off his pedestal

It's not a bad album, I just didn't feel any hugely strong emotional attachment that everyone seems to race about. Also the vocals and production seem amateurish, and not in a charming way. Do I just need to read more into the lyrics or what?

This is a very dense album, and the more closely you listen to it the more it becomes easy to appreciate. This is the closest punk roots inside and progressive song structures work so well together. Some of the moments and hidden guitar lines are truly astounding.

Really comes down to the interplay on this one. Very few bands have the chemistry that the members of television had, the solos alone make the record. That and this album predicts the trend of post punk before punk even hit it's commercial boom with the sex pistols. And to top it all off Tom's lyrics have a really nice light humor and surreal element that perfectly compliments the arrangements.

I have never listened to an album that has so vividly put me in its own world as this besides maybe spiderland. It tiredly feels like I am stepping into a comic book every time I listen to this album. between the cartoonish lyrics of doom and almost psychedelic and dusty beats of Madlib the world is incredibly lavish and that's why I adore it.

re: madvillainy, have you listened to operation doomsday or mm food? madvillainy was my intro to doom a long time ago and while I enjoyed it I also never understood the immense (and it really is IMMENSE at this point) hype and praise about it. yeah the madlib production is great, but I honestly don't see how people don't like operation doomsday or mm food more. I feel like it might have just been the hype machine around madvillainy, sorta like how there was with madlib and freddie gibbs, but to a way larger extent and it seems to have permanently inserted this album into the hip hop annals of history

I'm right there with you man. The first two songs and Brother Sport are so, so good but the rest of the album is just eh. I really wanted to like it too.

This one, like the other user said, is about the interplay. The instrumentation on this album is second to none.

This would be the 2015 WAOTY if it weren't for Blurryface. Obnoxious as hell. Can someone explain what's there to like?

Boring IMO

The turntable every now and then was nice though

The hooks are god tier
the songwriting is also very fun to observe

I like them all but for different reasons, personally I just love the chemistry between Madlib and doom (especially on tracks like Americas most blunted which feel more or less unique to the project). And every album you listed could easily be a legitimate answer to favorite Doom release but I think madvillainy is my favorite because it brings the best words of a favorite producer and MC of mine (and probably some nostalgia too).

Are you into other plunderphonics projects or even other styles of downtempo music? Because dj shadow absolutely has a more down tempo approach to the genre then say someone like j dilla or the avalanches who have a more pop style.

It's just really well-made pop music, I took to it first listen so perhaps it's not for you. My favorites were To The Blade, Blast Doors, and Warm Healer. Give those another shot at least.

I've considered these guys the Bon Jovi of '80s alternative/jangle pop, and I've always preferred R.E.M.'s Murmur to this album. What am I doing wrong?

Nothing, Murmur is a far better album. But they aren't even really that similar.

I was a weird case and liked it on the first listen. For most people, it takes two or three. Oddly enough, London Calling took me 2 listens to fully "get it". If you listen to the new Car Seat Headrest album, Teens of Denial, you'll get a more power pop version of what Daydream Nation did.

>actually liking 21 pilots
fucking kys

how is this shit jangle pop

>being unable to read
>using retarded acronyms such as kys
Kill yourself.

>WAOTY
WORST album of the year, retard. Read it again, this time with higher than 2nd grade reading comprehension.

waste of dubs desu

same here user

anco in general is just so unenjoyable to me. it feels like they are trying far too hard to be complex and ingenious and it ends up being really bland.

not to mention the vocals are atrocious, like egotistical 12 year olds at a talent show trying to upstage each other.

I really just haven't listened to it enough

This is gonna sound weird, but just try turning up the volume. It's mixed in such a way that you have to turn it up a bit to hear the finer details of it. Also it's not good background music, you have to give it a little attention.

this

This for the longest time. I really feel like I'm missing out.

I hate this record. his voice wants to strangle cat

I like some more experimental jazz albums, especially fusion ones, like The Black Lady and the Sinner Saint, and Bitches Brew, but I just don't find this to be interesting enough.

It's the whole point of view, which comes across in the lyrics, yes, but also its melodys and instrumentals. Dylan is a compelling personality in general and I think this record captures his force of will at its peak. Personally I think H61 is way better (lyrically and just in general) but isn't as personal.

You've gotta really listen to the synths. There's a lot of depth and textures to the layers of synths. Once you really start to hear each part of the synths the album really becomes sort of enveloping.

The reason that I like it is that the noise in juxtaposition with the pop structures is sort of surreal, but, especially on noisier tracks like Spirit They've Vanished, Untitled, Someday I'll Grow (though that on isn't noisy), and the beginning of Alvin Row, it's almost like you could close your eyes and see the music.

On the other hand, the poppier songs are good to, mostly because of the way Avey blends the sort of abrasive synths with acoustic instrumentation. Spirit also has some of Panda's best drumming, so listen for that.

I don't know, it sounds like you don't want to like Animal Collective

Never was a huge fan but it jives really well, if that makes any sense. It's super cohesive but still feels spontaneous so it's a pretty fun listen. And it was really forward-thinking at the time which I guess counts for something.

You really gotta give yourself over to the mood, I think. Took me a while to get over the math-y elements and just take the music at face value and now it's one of my favorites. Vocals are really atmospheric and the guitar interplay is stressful in a lot of places (Washer makes me physically uncomfortable). Also one of the few incredibly influential albums that still sounds totally unique today.

hate this fucking record because of the bullshit im too young to fuck but im glad i can hold hands and wait to fuck lyrics.

i think you have to see it as poart of the times, really - ideas like media collaging were really new and people tried to get in there and mix it up, that competing with gira/swans' johnny cash/joy division dialectic. beautiful child body to body type stuff was the real first break through - and the other shit peeled away once angels of light found its shape, leaving us with the new swans.

If anything that's earlier Beach Boys. This is all wistful remembrance of youthful innocence in past relationships. It's really kind of a downer if you pay attention.

ps
wouldnt call it no-wave.
not ever.
seems a crime really.

Meh I suggest not even bothering trying to like this album.

it is in fact one of the best.

i listened.
liked the music
hated the sentiments.
i wouldnt let a child listen to this ideological filth
which is weird cuz i like the music and usual music trumps, but fuck that in the trash

>ideological
We listening to the same album, bud?

Are you retarded

its what it is bb.

Refreshing to hear some actual good falsetto for once, great hooks and well made in general

sounds like something a bunch of clammy, chubby nu-males would meet in secret to hug each other to.

no shit?
lemmo go give it a listen..

The Glow P.t 2
Any of Avey Tare's solo work.

I wouldn't really put this in the same league as the albums you've described. This is experimental from a compositional standpoint because it's based around modes, but the actual instrumentation and playing is closer to a traditional swing style. Just take it at face value like a normal jazz album. There's some fantastic piano work, and I'm just generally a big fan of Paul Chambers's style but that's the most I can offer you.

>listening to it in the dark with a very open mind
Oh I get what you mean user, open mind. Gotcha

>you are enjoying music the wrong way
Do you even read what you write

I don't dislike this and I'm able to get past my ears bleeding, I just don't know what there is to LOVE about this album, ya know?

Is trying to get different perspectives so you can figure out what to listen for and perceive music differently, inevitably expanding your horizons somehow a bad thing?

Fall into a deep depression and get social anxiety

you will never understand this album sorry

lie down and look up at the stars while listening to it, make sure you're really comfy. the jigsaw pieces will start to fall into place

be depressed and uncomfortable in social situations

focus on each melodic instrument and sing the melody at the same time in your head, you'll focus more on their melodies.

keep listening and be open

I just wanna see people try to defend this

probably because I didn't stop mentally aging at 16

weird how you still use buzzwords like 'nu-male' then

lol please, it's not like there's a synonym I could've used that would do it justice

Yeah we can't help you with that one

This thing. I read all the time about how it is supposed to be just super epic or something, but all I heard when I listened to the first three songs was just a slow, boring mess. The vocals- well, pretty much all of it was recorded really poorly, and it really sounds like some kind of amateur bandcamp project or something. I even tried looking into the lyrics, as I can't make out a word that the guy is "singing", and all it seemed like to me was just a bunch of whining about god knows what. Just complaining about literally everything around him. Whatever, I'm over it.

Whenever I listen to Deathconsciousness, all I can think about is how certain aspects of each song could have been done better.

And I don't mean the production, I know it's supposed to sound demo-ish.

It takes awhile to click
But those instrumentals will eventually make sense
I love how free it is. Sounds very spontaneous

saaaaaaame

How depressed do I have to be to enjoy this album?

its a pure distillation of anxiety and depression
read the lyrics or listen in the dark

KYS now.